Monster Cropped White Widow - SCROG - Hydro - 2015

In a perfect world......

you could have two tents next to each other one with one without and compare. But no you answered it all correctly and I had forgotten or confused myself with the amount of work you have put into the strain. You then yes should be able to see the difference if you have achieved good production on it. That is the key is knowing the strain as you do with the information you have on prior grows. As long as your baselines and results have been consistent then it is a good study. If things vary too much then two tents would be easier as both would probably suffer from same mistakes or issue's. I wish i could keep popping up tents ..lol

None of it was meant negative again you are doing great research and putting in the effort. All your info is very good and very helpful.
Appreciate it!

Fe

Thx far East it wasn't taken that way, it got me thinking of how I can show that next time.

Thanks.. Hard to know someones attitude or meaning sometimes in typing. Just trying to foster thinking... idea's etc. I personally love studies and testing. I plan to attempt some in the future but I am still dialing in for some more grows then It will be stable. Then the results will have meaning instead of more questions.

You have very good records.. It would be a good amount of work but day 30 flower pic last grow vs day 30 on this grow side by side may give good info, examples.

Thanks for sharing your research I know people take it for granted and say do this or that. It's a lot of work to test stuff out. I appreciate the effort.

Have a smooth weekend.

:peace:

FE

So i just flipped mine to 12/12 on friday, that night i read your post and was intrigued by the water etc.. because i never saw that in my veg tent with the co2, but the temps never got above 70 in my veg. Then on fri I flipped em and i have my lights on at night off in the day so i can work on them since i am not around in the day,. So saturday night i open my tent when lights are on and i have water droplets on some of my leaves and the sides of my tent are also wet, the temp was 92f with all lights on, so since i had already read your post I new to open some vents etc... so now i leave it sealed for 6 hours of 90f temp then i crack some of the vents and release the humidity and and close the vents before lights out.
So thank you for the post

Hi sciguy, my 2 cents on this subject: I would have to believe that your notes are good enough to put together a chart or a spread sheet (in laymen terms) please. I'm sure you have taken pictures of your plants at least once a week? just take pictures of your CO2 plants at the same time frame and put them on your journal (side by side).

Or not......:geek:

Ok so heres an update on the ladies,

Big Bertha and the other plants are just chugging along, no issues yet with humidity the fix to that problem is keeping the RH under 45%, The temps are around 88F with the lights on and around 72F with the lights off. The growth rate of the buds are quite considerable compared to the growth rate of the plants height and width. The bud balls are just about doubling in size every day. I had the wife take some pics of the ladies tonight before we rearranged them under the lights, added some more water, some more sweet and some more CALMAG, added some H2O2, and trimmed off a few fan leafs off of each plant. It was a very minor defoliation to allow light to get down farther into the plant.

Here are the pics, Day 18 of flower.

20151018_223855.jpg

20151018_223917.jpg

20151018_224004.jpg

20151018_224037.jpg

20151018_224053.jpg

20151018_224112.jpg

20151018_224127.jpg

20151018_224142.jpg

20151018_224232.jpg

20151018_224508.jpg

I will give all the measurements and averages on Wednesday when I change the bucket water again. Until then lets just watch them grow.

Keep it Green :thumb:

Here goes another day in this grow adventure.

The white widows are doing very well, their little bud balls are growing more each day. They have a lot of branching so it makes light penetration a PITA because of all the fan leaves. Over the last few days I have been taking 1 or 2 off of each plant to let more light into the plants. I am picking certain fan leafs that cover up the most area and taking those, while leaving the rest to not stress the plant so much and also to not limit its available resources by so much at a time.

They are drinking water regularly and eating like little hogs, it looks like I am nearing the end of my stretch as the flowers are getting bigger and the plant is stretching less. Hopefully next week or so, I should start the first bud swell stage, that's when things will start looking really pretty in the tent, and also make it look more like a forest.

I snapped a few pics after tweaking with the camera settings a little. I got it to actually take a decent picture this time. I even got a few shots of the little buds, and of course the pics I did take don't really do the plants any justice at all either. Here they are,

20151019_220224.jpg

20151019_220344.jpg

20151019_220357.jpg

20151019_220412.jpg

20151019_220425.jpg

20151019_220441.jpg

20151019_220448.jpg

20151019_220457.jpg

20151019_220504.jpg

Is it just me or does the ad for the Buddha statues look like it has a statue of jabba the hut? That would be a cool statue!

Still looks like its gonna be a week and a half or so till the first bud swell stage officially hits, however, the buds are developing at a much faster rate during this grow than last grow. I believe the high ppms of bloom nutes and additional bloom supplements as well as the CO2 are the reasons for the faster development. Hopefully it continues all the way throughout flower.

I just ordered a THC testing kit from Canalytics to do cannabis testing in my area for other dispensaries, since they are now enforcing the law in each dispensary that all buds and cannabis products need to be tested for THC and CBD content, and it needs to be labeled on each product. I will test my buds once they are harvested and dried, then retest again after a couple weeks of cure to see how much the THC and CBD content changes.

I will post again tonight after I take some pics after the light comes back on.

Looking awesome as expected sciguy! Very healthy looking indeed. Since you mentioned removing a few leaves, as needed, would you mind sharing your views on defoliation? I know it's one of those controversial topics, but it's nice to hear from someone who likes to do experimenting themselves...

I plan to do a side-by-side comparison in the near future, but more info is (usually) better!

Me personally,

I prefer to tuck the fan leaves down as much as I can without breaking them to expose the bud sites to light. I do this almost every night, going in and redoing fan leaves that might pop back up. I do this so that way the plant still has those leaves to pull nutrients from when needed. However there are times when that is not enough. So I stick to a very light defoliation. I only take 1 or 2 leafs per growth branch and only the biggest ones that are covering up the most space from the light. I then wait about 4 days and if its needed again I will take another leaf or 2 per growth branch. When I say growth branch I mean the whole shoot that a top grows on, so if you topped a plant and had 3 tops you have 3 growth branches. Just incase someones confused as to what I'm talking about. I try to only do it as a last resort. But with some strains its almost impossible to just get by with tucking the fan leaves down so you will have to take some leaves. Just don't take too many at once, remember they store food and energy for your plant, don't take any more than needed. And please don't take any during the first 2 1/2 weeks of flower, it can severely stunt the plant and decrease yield. That's just my .02 cents on it, I am sure others will disagree and say to just leave them, but its more of a personal preference.

Now if you are already having nutrient issues with the plant, I do not recommend it at all. Only for healthy plants.

Me personally,

I prefer to tuck the fan leaves down as much as I can without breaking them to expose the bud sites to light. I do this almost every night, going in and redoing fan leaves that might pop back up. I do this so that way the plant still has those leaves to pull nutrients from when needed. However there are times when that is not enough. So I stick to a very light defoliation. I only take 1 or 2 leafs per growth branch and only the biggest ones that are covering up the most space from the light. I then wait about 4 days and if its needed again I will take another leaf or 2 per growth branch. When I say growth branch I mean the whole shoot that a top grows on, so if you topped a plant and had 3 tops you have 3 growth branches. Just incase someones confused as to what I'm talking about. I try to only do it as a last resort. But with some strains its almost impossible to just get by with tucking the fan leaves down so you will have to take some leaves. Just don't take too many at once, remember they store food and energy for your plant, don't take any more than needed. And please don't take any during the first 2 1/2 weeks of flower, it can severely stunt the plant and decrease yield. That's just my .02 cents on it, I am sure others will disagree and say to just leave them, but its more of a personal preference.

Now if you are already having nutrient issues with the plant, I do not recommend it at all. Only for healthy plants.

Thank you sci guy this is pretty much the exact approach i have been using.. great explanation...hard to call it a defol more like maintenance...

FE

I love the pics of those plants. They look so uniform and clean. My tent is well and truly disorganized. I will spend some time in there today to try and make it look a little less messy but yours is wow to me. :)

Thanks for the compliment! I just try to keep everything easy to get to into the tent. Makes it easier to do everything I need to do with the buckets.

So I have been calling the biggest plant big bertha for a couple weeks now, well from the looks of the plants the last couple days, I am going to call the plant on the back right mini bertha, she is almost the same size as her sister and just about as bushy. She is actually a little taller than big bertha. After looking at her and her sister big bertha, these 2 plants alone can easily fill my entire 4ft x 4ft grow tent.

Big Bertha as she sits right now, and that's not completely stretched out like she can be under a scrog, takes up more than half the tent to her self. If I were to run those branches under a scrog screen, your looking at about 3/4 of the tent being full. Now if you add in Mini Bertha, and stretch her out under a scrog as well, hell I would have the entire tent covered and then some weed running up the walls of the tent. So since they are not all stretched out , I am expecting a lot of popcorn buds unfortunately. I have stretched all the plants out as much as I can to give them enough access to light, but without having them under a scrog I fear I have limited my plants potential. I ran out of tie down screws on the bucket to LST the plants, plus they had gotten so bushy and big I couldn't use the screws anymore to tie down the branches since the branches were so long. I think next grow in this tent under these conditions I will just have 2 plants instead of 4. The other 2 plants take up much needed and valuable space that could be used as a scrog.

Either way, its turning out to be sort of a SOG instead of a SCROG. I cant complain too much, the plants are healthy and growing and thriving, it could be worse! But yeah next time I do monster cropped clones, which will be the only way I clone from here on out, I will only keep no more than 2 clones per tent for a personal grow since they actually do grow out like monsters.

I am having a hard time pinning down when the plant actually started flower, it is either going to be the 6th of October or the 9th of October as the actual start of the flower stage. I don't count from when I switch the light schedule. Depending on your grow style and how you have grown your plants to this point, depends how long the plant takes to transition between veg and flower. For example, if you grow using DWC, it may only take a couple days up to a week to transition under great conditions, meaning no nute burns or deficiencies. As soil can take almost an extra week. Soil tends to hold on to all the nitrogen and veg nutes, DWC you can easily flush everything out, Soil tends to hold on to nutrients. So it all really depends. Plus other factors like have you been flushing during veg, did you flush before the switch, did you stay adding veg nutes or switch to flower nutes right away, and more importantly did you turn off the lights for 24 hours before the switch. Me personally, in DWC it usually takes about a week for transition to end. All I do is change the bucket water and put in full strength flower nutes, then switch the light schedule, I don't put them in extra darkness, or keep them on veg nutes, I do however watch the plant during that week or so and see what she needs, watch your plants, they will tell you what they need. Memorize the leaf chart for deficiencies and toxicities and you will have a good eye at spotting problems before they actually become one and you can get a real good handle on whats going on in your garden.

So if you count the 6th as the first day of flower, they have been flowering for 15 days so far as of today. The bud formations on them are looking very well for as young as they are, I may not have as much popcorn as I initially thought.

On to more important news, about 6 months ago I put up the money to run a legitimate dispensary where I live. Just a little info on how to do it where I am from. You have 2 different categories you can apply for, commercial growers license, or dispensary license, and that comes in the form of storefront, delivery, or both. Well in order to even apply for a commercial growers license, you need to have $250,000 in the bank, and fill out the app, and give a non refundable $25,000 application fee. You have to have this for any and all licenses you apply for. So for example if you wanted your growers license, and dispensary license for both store front and delivery, you need to have $750,000 sitting in the bank, and pay $75,000 in non refundable application fees. You also are not guaranteed to be approved for the licenses.

That being said, I went legitimate around 6 months ago with my dispensary. I run a 24 hour delivery service as well as I just opened up a store front last week that is also open 24 hours. Well this morning at around 3am a undercover cop made his way into my shop. He was attempting to purchase concentrates and herb without a valid recommendation, he even was saying well I have bought from here before and gave the usual excuses to try and get sold some meds. After about 15 minutes of telling him no and eventually to leave the store, another cop came in undercover, this went on and on for around 3 hours this morning. I wonder if this is going to be the new thing for dispensary owners? I am not doing anything illegal and to be treated by the police like I am some kind of drug lord is ridiculous. Is anyone else having issues like this around the USA?

So tonight the girls got a bucket solution change. I added 10ml of CALMAG, 16ml of SWEET, 15ml of FLORAMICRO, 5ml of FLORAGRO, 20ml of FLORABLOOM, 5ml of LIQUIDKOOLBLOOM, and 30ml of H2O2, along with 2 gallons of RO water into each bucket. Each plant was also flushed with a half gallon of RO water, then sat in an air bath until its bucket solution was mixed and ready. The PPM of the water after adding the CALMAG and SWEET was 350PPM, after adding the other nutes and supplements it was 1360PPM.

After getting new nutes, some of the plants received some lipo, I removed a few more fan leaves that were blocking light. Now they look a lot better, all the bud sites that were hidden are all now receiving light. It was also while doing this that I noticed exactly how much branching big bertha has going on, some of the branches I cut off during flower have grown out and are reaching up for light now. I was contemplating cutting those branches off since they will not produce much bud anyway, but I don't want to cut branches off that are that thick so it will stay and I will just have a few popcorn buds. Atleast it is looking better for the inside of the plants now that I removed a few more leaves, I should have a lot less popcorn buds in that area now.

The PPM of CO2 in the tent is hovering in the 1000PPM range, staying between 980-1130. I started with just having the vent cracked open on the side vent. But Now I am also leaving the tent unzipped in the center, so its not completely sealed, its closed, but not sealed up shut completely. I'm not worried about light leaks, since its in a second bedroom that always has the door closed and the windows are sealed with doubled layer black curtains that don't let any light in. Around 300ppm of CO2 leaks out into the room from the tent, but since the PPM is still between 980-1130 inside the tent, I am happy with those numbers.

Here are some pics I took after the lipo session, I will post some more pics in a hour or so that are better along with growth numbers.

20151021_202715.jpg

20151021_202727.jpg

20151021_202734.jpg

20151021_202742.jpg

20151021_202747.jpg

Stay tuned!

Okay so here we go again, I have not checked the PH yet tonight or PPMs but I will later before bed. I did however get a chance to take some pics of the girls with the lights off. Its nice not having all the purple and pink staring you in the face, plus I like the way the plants look when they are all green!

20151022_182407.jpg

20151022_182418.jpg

20151022_182427.jpg

20151022_182441.jpg

20151022_182455.jpg

20151022_182544.jpg

20151022_182552.jpg

20151022_182615.jpg

20151022_182511.jpg

20151022_182525.jpg

Above are several shots of the plants, my camera on my phone sucks and I also forgot to turn the oscillating fan off before taking the pics. There are also a couple of shots of the buds as well. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom