Munki's 2 x 4 Bubba Kush ScrOG Bondage

Hey Munki,

My buddy has lug nuts from his car hung on some of his branches like Christmas ornaments to get the plant to spread out, Looks like it works. If he needs more weight, he just adds more weight to it or scoots it farther out on the limb. Just a thought.

Yep that is the concept I was going for. The pulleys would just help in directing the pulling energy even if I tied to a point towards the middle of the plant.

that bubba kush probably wasnt the best choice for a scrog, with those huge fan leaves, but it looks like youve made the best of it

Haven't seen you around lately Weedy. Was thinking about you just this past week. Hope all is well with you. I agree the fan leaves are not good for ScrOG but we shall see what happens.

Thrips have been noted on the little leaves of Big Bertha. They are on the little leaves the clones first had. Damnit. I'll probably try and treat them this time but I didn't see them cause too much damage last time. I guess if I had to pick a pest to have invade my garden, thrips would be a good candidate. I just cannot seem to control the small flying bugs from getting into the tent. Even with other lights on in the garage, they still seem to go for the tent when I'm doing my daily check. Maybe I need to have a bug zapper in the garage!

Sorry to hear about the thrips, even though it doesn't seem they'll be too nasty.

Just a random thought: what about turning on your UV light and seeing how it messes with them? A quick search on UV Light and Thrips seems to indicate there might be some benefit. Might be worth a try?

I'd say try a uv bug type light with sticky pads around it. Thats how commercial bug traps work - the bugs see the light and are drawn towards it. UV is light at a spectrum that we can't see, and the lights that we use in our homes are comparably invisible to insects, i'd say that's why they're going for your tent - your HID bulb would put out UV they'd see and be drawn to like mad. A fluorescent tube type reptile UV bulb would be great I would think.

You could place it in your garage outside and away from the tent, leave it on 24/7... and to be safe you could fashion some sort of light shield in front of the bulb so you're not exposed directly to the uv. Then just cover the inside of the light shield/surrounding area with sticky pads.

But then again, i've never actually done this, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work exactly like I explain.

I am; however, baked :smokin:
Nevertheless, +luck

I found this at bugspray.com about thrips and a treatment.

If the thrips are too persistent and you want
something a little stronger which will provide some
residual, use PERMETHRIN CONCENTRATE. This is a
true insecticide which is odorless, easy to mix and
works on just about any pest in and around the
garden. Since it works well for whiteflies and aphids,
Permethrin is a natural for plants which are subject
to a wide range of pests. Most importantly, it is
the strongest product to use on fruits and vegetables
so if you have a garden you are trying to protect,
this is your best bet. It has a complete label which
includes just about any target pest, any plant - fruit
or vegetable - and 1-2 weeks of residual. Probably
the most common active ingredient being used today
by farmers in the agricultural market, Permethrin
has a wide range of uses and presents a low hazard
or danger to mammals.

Hey there Munki. I wanted to stop by and congratulate you on your last grow. I read your journal cover to cover and was amazed by your grow. I am modeling my grow somewhat like yours. I am going to use a 400w switchable (MH/veg HPS/flower) with three plants I've picked up as clones (about 4 inches high). Anyway, I just wanted to say 'what up' and I hope you don't mind if I reference your grow in my journal. Keep up the good work, your current grow is doing awesome and I am going to follow it cover to cover as well.

Plants are looking wonderful as usual, sorry to hear about the top breaking off but just maybe that will work out to your advantage. It might allow the smaller one to catch up and spread out the plant a little more. Those plants are so thick with veg it might be a blessing in disguise. Anyway, great work...

Sorry to hear about the thrips, even though it doesn't seem they'll be too nasty.

Just a random thought: what about turning on your UV light and seeing how it messes with them? A quick search on UV Light and Thrips seems to indicate there might be some benefit. Might be worth a try?

The thrips survived well in my last grow though they didn't get out of hand. If I don't treat this likely infestation, they will get 3 generations in before harvest date so it may not be advisable for me to just let it go via nature. Considering lady bugs though. How cold can ladybugs live and eat anyways? Off to the internet for me! ;)

I'd say try a uv bug type light with sticky pads around it. Thats how commercial bug traps work - the bugs see the light and are drawn towards it. UV is light at a spectrum that we can't see, and the lights that we use in our homes are comparably invisible to insects, i'd say that's why they're going for your tent - your HID bulb would put out UV they'd see and be drawn to like mad. A fluorescent tube type reptile UV bulb would be great I would think.

You could place it in your garage outside and away from the tent, leave it on 24/7... and to be safe you could fashion some sort of light shield in front of the bulb so you're not exposed directly to the uv. Then just cover the inside of the light shield/surrounding area with sticky pads.

But then again, i've never actually done this, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work exactly like I explain.

I am; however, baked :smokin:
Nevertheless, +luck

I would just get a bug zapper and install it in the garage. I would be afraid I would draw in more bugs than it would ultimately kill. I want to locate those sticky pads.

I found this at bugspray.com about thrips and a treatment.

If the thrips are too persistent and you want
something a little stronger which will provide some
residual, use PERMETHRIN CONCENTRATE. This is a
true insecticide which is odorless, easy to mix and
works on just about any pest in and around the
garden. Since it works well for whiteflies and aphids,
Permethrin is a natural for plants which are subject
to a wide range of pests. Most importantly, it is
the strongest product to use on fruits and vegetables
so if you have a garden you are trying to protect,
this is your best bet. It has a complete label which
includes just about any target pest, any plant - fruit
or vegetable - and 1-2 weeks of residual. Probably
the most common active ingredient being used today
by farmers in the agricultural market, Permethrin
has a wide range of uses and presents a low hazard
or danger to mammals.

Thanks Joe. I've read of some bug bombs that would work. I'm not sure how much safety testing was required by the manufacturer of the toxin regarding human consumption via smoking so I want to make that a last option in an active grow for personal consumption. :bitingnails: :hmmmm:

Hey there Munki. I wanted to stop by and congratulate you on your last grow. I read your journal cover to cover and was amazed by your grow. I am modeling my grow somewhat like yours. I am going to use a 400w switchable (MH/veg HPS/flower) with three plants I've picked up as clones (about 4 inches high). Anyway, I just wanted to say 'what up' and I hope you don't mind if I reference your grow in my journal. Keep up the good work, your current grow is doing awesome and I am going to follow it cover to cover as well.

Don't mind at all. Glad I could help and welcome aboard. :welcome:

Plants are looking wonderful as usual, sorry to hear about the top breaking off but just maybe that will work out to your advantage. It might allow the smaller one to catch up and spread out the plant a little more. Those plants are so thick with veg it might be a blessing in disguise. Anyway, great work...

Already showing the positive benefits as you will see in my next set of pics. Thanks for the positive vibes.

looks great so far man, i'm a big fan of the scrog method and am going to be using it on my current grow..how much of the screen are you going to fill before you start to flower?

The difference in size between the two plants has me walking a tightrope of sorts as I will need to push it a bit on Bertha's side before Bitty gets to a decent coverage. I think I will flip within a week. Planning on doing a trim underneath here soon on Bertha.

OK let's see where we are at today.

2009-12-08_01.jpg

Here is lil' bitty.

2009-12-08_02.jpg

Wide shot of Bertha's canopy.

2009-12-08_03.jpg

A closer shot showing the removed top of Bertha. Note the secondary branches are really taking advantage of this.

2009-12-08_04.jpg

Side shot of Bertha.

2009-12-08_05.jpg

And finally a side closeup shot. Note the lower branches are making their way up. The bottom set may get cut in the first pruning.

2009-12-08_06.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean by the twisting. The part I pulled out had been deformed by bing pressed against the screen and had also wilted some as it had broken off about a day before hanging on by about 10 % of the stalk. I just finished the job today. Note that the stem had a nice cavity in the center of the stem. I've heard that is a good quality to find in a cannabis plant.

Now some of the big fan leaves tend to curl down but can be pushed in to make the blades curl up. The interior parts of the leaves outgrew the edges so they bow out. Probably a reaction to the high available chemical nutrient bath they receive.

Ahh,
Good answer, Thank you
That is what I was speaking of.

I was thinking that the hard leaves that can be pushed up, to be curling up,
Could be a slight over-water issue.
But, good explanation :thanks:
Also ,
How stable is your ph ?

EG.
In between a Res change,
Do you, or how many times do you adjust the ph ?

Great Job Munki !
MJ420:peace:

Ahh,

How stable is your ph ?

EG.
In between a Res change,
Do you, or how many times do you adjust the ph ?

Great Job Munki !
MJ420:peace:

My pH is very stable. I check it every day right after the light comes on but before the first watering/feeding cycles. I do not water in the dark periods so I know that checking the pH at this time will give me consistent conditions to take the measurements. I also do daily water add backs to top off the res to the same level and take a second set of readings. Presently it has stabilized into the 5.7 area for the past 3 days.

If I do adjust the pH, it is right after I add fresh nutrients. With my nutrient load, I add 1/2 mL of my pH up per gallon (6ml for me) and that gets me to around a 5.2. Within a day it will get to 5.5 and slowly climb from there. I've been doing this every other Friday with a calculated nutrient addback on the in-between Fridays. I do not need to adjust the pH on the addback weeks.

I am confident enough now that I could just liquid measure out my nutrients and know what it will be at pH wise. I still check to look for problems like the pH dropping even if only adding back water. Especially if the pH drops suddenly. Strong indicator of root rot though not too much of a worry with ebb and flow.

Oh these beauties are looking soo good. I love those fatty fan leaves they just look so green and yummy. I love picture day!!!! Keep up the good work Munki, I need to figure out the rep system soon cuz yer babies deserve mad props!

I have a question for ya Munki, I have started a grow (my sig has a link) and I was thinking my setup would be a great candidate for SCRoG or LST but I am not sure which to try. This is my first grow and I would prefer something that isn't too difficult to handle. I know you SCRoGd on your first grow and had amazing results. I also know that I don't have near as green a thumb as you do. I want to maximize my yield with my limited amount of plants (3). What do you think Munki?

GO MUNKI

love seeing the inside of that stalk. it looks nice and healthy.
not all hallow. Great job!!!+rep if i can

Thanks man. Keep up the good fight Butcher. :winkyface:

Oh these beauties are looking soo good. I love those fatty fan leaves they just look so green and yummy. I love picture day!!!! Keep up the good work Munki, I need to figure out the rep system soon cuz yer babies deserve mad props!

Thanks Grooster. Just look down on the left side of a person's post. At the bottom there is I funky looking symbol that represent scales. Click that and you can type a little note that the other person will see on their own personal User CP (Control Panel). User CP is found towards the top left of your browser screen. Got it? :smokin:

I have a question for ya Munki, I have started a grow (my sig has a link) and I was thinking my setup would be a great candidate for SCRoG or LST but I am not sure which to try. This is my first grow and I would prefer something that isn't too difficult to handle. I know you SCRoGd on your first grow and had amazing results. I also know that I don't have near as green a thumb as you do. I want to maximize my yield with my limited amount of plants (3). What do you think Munki?

GO MUNKI

Hard for me to really recommend it to you one way or the other. You can LST the plants until they grow to a larger size before putting them under a screen. So both techniques can be employed on a particular grow. ScrOGing does force you to make decisions at certain points that are difficult to reverse.

I hear ya Munki. Definitely gonna do some LST gonna have to ponder the scrog a bit. Can't argue with your results though heh. Anyways, I figured out the rep so +reps to the MUNKI

L8ER

I hear ya Munki. Definitely gonna do some LST gonna have to ponder the scrog a bit. Can't argue with your results though heh. Anyways, I figured out the rep so +reps to the MUNKI

L8ER

Munki is one hell of a good Cannabis grower! His plants are as healthy as they get... It's a shame there is no such thing as show plants like there are in Orchids.

Aww shucks. Thanks for the props but I am just learning like you all. I have the space and equipment that help increase my success chance. I also try to keep it simple (even though I'm doing hydro) so I can identify and learn from any mistakes I make.

Sorry about the lack of updates. Finding it really hard to spend time with the plants or on this site. So busy and so many people around this time of year. Anyways, here are some pics I took early this morning. They are presently in week 7 day 2 afternoon. I am really hoping I can get some time today to take each plant out and give them a trim.

2009-12-13_01.jpg

2009-12-13_02.jpg

2009-12-13_03.jpg

This is the top of lil' bittie.

2009-12-13_04.jpg

This is the top of Big Bertha.

2009-12-13_05.jpg

2009-12-13_06.jpg

lil' bittie's inside shot.

2009-12-13_07.jpg

and a side shot if Big Bertha.

2009-12-13_08.jpg