My 2nd LED Indoor Grow - White Widow x Big Bud & Assorted Supporting Cast

greengostarr

Hi folks and welcome to my 2nd indoor grow.

My first has not quite finished yet, but will probably do so within the next two weeks and the results are not quite what I was hoping for so I was eager to move on and put into practice some of the things I learnt. My first grow was a pathetic little mystery indica I just happened to find on the side of the road that had already started to flower. I decided to bring it indoors and reveg it. As I intended to fill a 4' X 4' x 7' with this one plant, I knew I would have to veg for a long time and she ended up spending 12 weeks or so in veg and I didn't want to spend so long in veg again.

So, moving onto this grow. Rather belatedly, I decided to turn some clippings from this mystery indica into clones and they did little more than establish themselves and then go into flower. I decided to give this strain another chance and see if my disappointing results were due to genetics or my bumbling incompetence and will monster crop the clones.

This grow will include:

3 mystery indica (possibly Northern Lights) flowering clones
3 White Widow X Big Bud feminised
1 Quick One auto feminised

I ordered 4 WWXBB seeds and had the choice of a freebie seed. Out of my three choices, only one was an auto and, seeing as I have never grown one before, decided to choose that one.

I ordered the seeds from the Vault on Friday afternoon and had them in my hand less than 24 hours later. I placed the seeds in slightly damp paper towel and wrapped them in a plastic bag and put them in a warm dark place and all seeds germinated within 36 hours and I have now put them in small pots with some general purpose compost.

I decided to pot the seedlings in compost as I plan to keep them in the tent during the hours the mystery indica is awake to take advantage of the stronger light in the tent and then move them in with the clones when she goes to sleep and this seemed the simplest way to do it.

I removed the clones from the flowering tent 13 days ago and have had them in a box with cfls since then. My experience with the first grow verified that plants being revegged will do nothing for at least 2 weeks before the first mutant looking leaves start to sprout and I wanted to use that time while the parent was still finishing to cut down on the reveg time.

My first grow was a top fed recirculating system with a small 10 litre reservoir. This is not suitable for this new grow with 7 plants so I have decided to do DWC this time. I have two 50 litre reservoirs in which I'll put the three clones and the three WWXBBs. Because I have one auto which will require a different nutrient schedule, I've decided to keep her separate and will use a top feed recirculating system for her.

Once the mystery lady is finished, I will simply transplant the seedlings into the net pots with clay pebbles. In previous outdoor grows, when it comes time to transplant into a different medium, I have gently washed the soil from the roots in a large bucket of water and have never had any issues with plant stress so will do exactly the same here.

I should also mention that I intend to use a scrog on this grow and will use it from a very young age to train the babies, especially the clones as the lateral growth on them is absolutely crazy!

There seems very little point in taking photos at the moment as the seeds are now buried by compost, but I will take some before and after shots on the day they move into the tent.

Almost forgot to mention, this will be under a P450 LED which draws 137 W from the wall during veg and 255 W from the wall during flower. I would also like to add some additional light during flowering and will decide on that closer to the time.

re: My 2nd LED Indoor Grow - White Widow x Big Bud & Assorted Supporting Cast

Cheers Sneaky, welcome aboard and let's see what goes down with this one. Or, better yet, what comes up!

re: My 2nd LED Indoor Grow - White Widow x Big Bud & Assorted Supporting Cast

The three different varieties present an interesting challenge for training.

The Quick One auto should be finished within about 60 days from now. The mystery indica didn't stretch much during flowering in my first grow, so I will let the branches grow reasonably tall through the scrog before flipping, whereas the WWXBB should at least double and I'd like all the colas to finish around the same height. The mystery Indica and the WWXBB will take about 7-9 weeks for flowering and I'm expecting to veg for 3 - 4 weeks.

So, I'll be expecting to harvest the Quick One in late March and the rest sometime between mid April to early May.

I decided to start this journal today so I had a very clear and visible record of the exact date this grow started, which will help me for future grows.

All four of the seeds have broken soil and have been moved under the LED for their first full day topside. As can be expected from the size of the WWXBB seeds, the first cotyledons are very small as well.

The three remaining clones have been trimmed up leaving only the top bud to resprout and have also been moved under the LED.

That would be awesome, man. I've got three to choose from (and a spare seed up my sleeve) and will probably take clones from the best one.

I didn't think through the inclusion of the auto in this grow as I was planning on flipping to 12/12 halfway through its flowering stage.
Oh well, it's only an experiment with autos anyway.

Hey Shagger

Nice grow, sick info I've mmmmm just about to pop a WW Auto in the next week or so...

From what I've read about auto flowering strains is that they don't really rely on a light cycle as such, since they are genetically programmed to grow, fruit and expire in a certain time frame. they should be fine. In saying that though potentially it could stunt the growth and yield as it doesn't get the veg light cycle but they live and die so fast...

But heck I'm a noob on my 2nd grow from a failures 1st....

Laters

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I realise that switching the auto to 12/12 is not going to fuck it up per se, just reduce the yield and, as I don't really have an option to move her outside due to visibility issues and the likelihood of frosts, I'll just have to live with the lower yield.

Subbed in mate ;) only just realised you started a new journal ;)
The last auto i grew didnt mind 12/12, if anything i think it helped a bit in the stretch department as she was searching for the light more, i got 3oz from her and didnt even give her much attention, i just didnt like the smoke at all :rofl:

Cheers Feral and thanks for your support.

TBH, I'm not really expecting too much from the auto; it's really just an experiment with a freebie seed and my expectations are not too high. This particular auto strain is also not highly rated for the smoke.

As the seedlings and clones are under weak cfl lighting, I've decided to increase the light schedule to 20/4, but will change that back to 18/6 when they go full-time in the tent under the LED.

The seedlings are all progressing well, with the auto very slightly larger than the rest. The clones still seem to be in a state of suspended animation and are not showing signs of any new growth yet, but that doesn't faze me unduly.

Knowing that all three strains are sensitive to nutrients and that plants under LEDs require 30% less nutrients than HID/MH grows should ensure that they won't suffer from nute burn. I'm also trying to minimise the grow time, again as an experiment, so I will not use HST such as topping and just use LST with the scrog from a very young age.

As I mentioned in Spookies journal, I was thinking about espalier as a training option and will add a vertical scrog specifically for the auto, although, due to its relatively short growth period, it may not make much difference.

I decide to take a pic of the babies. Guess which one is the auto, quick one?

IMG_20170207_031637.jpg

the big one? :)

Yeah, that was a rhetorical question, Feral :)

Nice! I actually have some White Widow autos. Can't wait to plant them, but is gonna have to wait. I have 2 photos that are only on day 30. Wish I had another tent to get them going.

I hear you, Komplex. I'd love to have at least one more tent as well. Fortunately, these little ones will be going into the tent in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom