My electric bill is too much.

You could replace all your standard light bulbs with the "spiral" energy efficient ones.

and the other nice thing about fluros is they cut the cost but they also put out a lot more light and overall a better spectrum

wicked.... thats cool moose. wish the us would do that.

Ah, I think we are, just not federally mandated but market driven. Go to any hardware store and the majority of the available household bulbs are CFLs and in California, Edison has rebates on them.

Haven't you heard the commercial that says if we replaced all our bulbs with CFLs it would be like taking millions of cars off the road?

You probably won't be able to find the old bulbs in a few years. I changed every bulb in my house to CFLs (before the rebates...damn it!) :laughtwo::peace:

Here are just a few articles in the news lately, take a look.
use of CFL - Google News

LEDs are next, even more efficient and longer lasting...still not cheap enough though.

By the way, they make LED grow lights too.

I've looked into this a lil' myself... it seems to me that there are only a few truly effective ways.....
1.Generators (which I haven't done the math so this may actually cost more but if your primary concern was someone questioning your usage it would be wise.....

2.Solar panels..... really expensive from the get-go but man would they pay off in the end. Not that I can even consider purchasing at this point.....

3.LED growlights... the wave of the future as far as I'm concerned. Ofcourse, as stated somewhere earlier in this thread, they're expensive at this point... but the thing is that it's all usable to the plant.... which only need certain wavelengths of red and blue light to carry out photosynthesis. Don't quote me on this (been a while since I read it) but roughly 15% of the light emitted from a HPS is actually usable to the plant.

Do some research check out the LEDs they're coming in leaps and bounds... even if you bought em' now it would pay off in the electricity you'd save, or atleast that's my opinion based upon the data I've read......
:allgood:

there are so many ways to make your house more energy conservitive. double paned windows to reduce heat transfer. thicker insulation in the walls and roof to keep heat in. solar panels are a great way to make your own energy, but like spenceje said, mucho dollares. if its windy where you are, setting up a wind turbine can create some electricty. there are more complicated ways to heat and cool your house without central air.
some easy and free things you can do to cut down on power use are turning off lights when not in the room or house. shutting down computers, turning off TVs when not watching. wash clothes and dishes with only a full load, and closing windows. im bad bout that one as i smoke in my bedroom and dont want to bake out the entire place. so my window stays open with a fan on. woot

Those things you posted earlier bs420, those MIGHT just work by using a principle i thought about when i took an electronics course. With alternating current, capacitors can put the current out of phase, and this is called imaginary current. It still takes power, and industrial sites pay for imaginary current, it takes a special meter to measure. Residential sites do not pay for imaginary current. This was a gross oversimplification of the process, and that might not be what they are doing, but if so; COOL

Does anyone know of a device, gadget, or idea that you can buy/use that cuts down your electricity use? I've seen some but im not sure if they work. If anyone has any suggestions on this just post it up! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ok i know this isnt the most legal thing but i figured id throw it in here anyway.your house has a meter that reads how much power your using. most houses have the old meters with the clip type design lock. ( easy to tamper with) ....there is a wheel that constantly spins in that meter. there is a scwew in there that controlls the speed ( usuage ) of the wheel. slowly month by month adjust the screw. it will slow down the wheel ( usage of power ) thus lowering your elec bill. Just dont do it drastically at one time...

Its amazing the things you learn when your a very young child.

Its amazing the things you learn when your a very young child.

HA, I bet you used to watch every repairman and service tech that came to your house.

Wants to grow:"Whats THAT one do? and THAT one?:allgood:

I'm just playing, i used to do the same shit.

hahah no i just grew up poor and my dad was always finding some way to steal power, cable, water,,, etc... even if they try to hide it,,, you still pick up on a little bit. lol

Hit Home Depot on earth day next year. They give out CFLs for free. One per customer.

Back
Top Bottom