My First Indoor Grow

jeeperrs

I am getting my medical marijuana card and would like to grow my own. I have been reading a lot but of course I have questions. I am currently trying to decide on LED's and a tent.

I will start with tents. Are some tents actually better than others? I don't want to waste money on a gorilla tent or other brand if they are all equal. I only want to grow a 2x4x6tall tent. That size should produce more than I need.

Now I will get into LEDs.

After reading a lot, I am stuck between the Timber and Quantum Boards. These are the lights I am thinking about:

Model 3VL

Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt XL Quantum Board LED Kit V2

I am leaning toward the quantum because they are cheaper and seem to be about the same growth. But, I figured I would let the pros chime in and guide the decision. I will be growing in solid and later try my hand at aeroponics. But, I want to start simple before I go all-in.

Thanks for any feedback!

Love my QBs, and timber used to make em, but not anymore, but the timber cobs are great

All I use are QBs

Big difference in tents, cheap have cheap zippers and potentially light leaks
Lots of good brands, do some research you'll find em

Love my QBs, and timber used to make em, but not anymore, but the timber cobs are great

All I use are QBs

Big difference in tents, cheap have cheap zippers and potentially light leaks
Lots of good brands, do some research you'll find em

I'm open to you naming some tent brands (if that is allowed by the rules). The only name brand I really know is Gorilla. Personally, I don't like that the zipper goes down the middle. But, maybe that is a good design.

I had read Timber made the QB boards on older threads. That is how I found their website. Sad that they don't make them anymore. I have seen Dan with Timber is active on the boards, which I admired and that made me like the brand a bit more. I don't mind spending $100 more for Timber if that makes a difference. But, the quantum flowering spread seemed a bit better fit for a 2x4 tent from my reading.

I have a sun hut Black out, love it, very sturdy

Not familiar with a bunch of tents, but Google best ones and I'm sure the top 5 are great

As long as the tent isn't in a room with lots of light during dark period, most should be fine

I have two qb288 bds in my 2x4 tent, works great

I decided to order some lights today. The main QB distributor was out of stock on the model and 3500k boards I was leaning toward. So, I decided to message Dan with Timber. Needless to say, I placed an order for some Timber lights. I guess I am now part of the Timber cult. Sometimes customer service is worth more than the minute differences between lights. Next step is a grow tent. :)

Here are the lights I decided to use, as I want my grow tent to do the veg and flower cycle for now.

Model 3VL

I am getting my medical marijuana card and would like to grow my own. I have been reading a lot but of course I have questions. I am currently trying to decide on LED's and a tent.

I will start with tents. Are some tents actually better than others? I don't want to waste money on a gorilla tent or other brand if they are all equal. I only want to grow a 2x4x6tall tent. That size should produce more than I need.

Now I will get into LEDs.

After reading a lot, I am stuck between the Timber and Quantum Boards. These are the lights I am thinking about:

Model 3VL

Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt XL Quantum Board LED Kit V2

I am leaning toward the quantum because they are cheaper and seem to be about the same growth. But, I figured I would let the pros chime in and guide the decision. I will be growing in solid and later try my hand at aeroponics. But, I want to start simple before I go all-in.

Thanks for any feedback!
Hlg for the win

Tents I love my Vivosun but mars hydro tents look dope too and they are affordable

Now starts the painful wait for all the things I ordered to arrive. I was lucky and found a new Gorilla Grow Lite 2x4 tent still in the box on ebay. I managed to win the auction at $100 today (not bad considering what they normally sell for). I also am waiting on Raspberry Cough and Wonder Woman. Oh, and my Timber lights. I can't wait to finally get the seeds started and the tent running.

Today was an exciting day! I received my medical card in the mail and got my hands on some seeds. Also, my Timber LED 3VL lights shipped today. I am doing my germination in root riot and then transferring to soil for my first grow. I started my germination about 30 minutes after becoming legal with my card :)

I am growing two Raspberry Cough and two Wonder Woman plants. If all 4 germinate and grow female, I will veg for a short time and keep the plants smaller. But, I didn't want to gamble on just two seeds germinating and hoping they both are female. The seeds are feminized but that seems to be no guarantee. :)

Fingers crossed this first grow is a success!

All 4 of the seeds I put in the root riot cubes have germinated and their taproot has already grown through the bottom of the cube. They managed to do this in 3.5 days from the time I put the seeds in the cubes. I can't believe that a dry seed could germinate and grow roots out the cube in such a short time. I did use a warming mat and kept the soil at 78 degrees. If all 4 turn out to be female, I am going to grow them out smaller and flower earlier. So, today I moved them all to their own 3 gallon soft pot. The Timber grow lights are pretty amazing. They look better in person than on their website. Dan was a wonderful person to work with. 3 of the seedlings have already start to emerge their first set of true leaves. The 4th is a bit slower because the shell of the seed was stuck on the seedling. Today I gently broke the dried shell the rest of the way to expose the cotyledon leaves. I was nervous to do this, but the cotyledon leaves quickly perked up and the stem went from a brownish color to a much more white color, not to mention that the cotyledon leaves quickly opened and turned toward the light. I was amazed that the seedling with the stuck shell had more small roots on the side of the root riot cube than the other 3. The other 3 had much longer tap roots. Today they received their first watering since germination. The tent is holding at 82 degrees with a humidity of 50%. I will try to raise the humidity. However, I think the humidity will naturally go up now that I have moist soil in the tent.

:hug:

I thought I should log what I am growing with before I get too far along.

Grow tent: 2x4x6'7'' Gorilla Lite
Ventilation: 4 inch inline fan with Black Ops charcoal filter
Lighting: Timber 3VL 300 Watt LED grow light fixture featuring Vero29 Generation 7 COB LEDs
Soil: Soft Pots with Roots Organics Potting Soil
Plants: Raspberry Cough and Wonder Woman
Nutrients: Botanicare Cal-Mag (added to all water since I have an RO system on my tap), Pure Blend Pro Grow for veg, and Pure Blend Pro Bloom for flower

I tried to fit a 12 inch fan into the tent but it was too big. I have ordered a 6 inch clip fan and will add that in a week.

Attachments

• IMG_9701.jpg
    IMG_9701.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9703.jpg
    IMG_9703.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9704.jpg
    IMG_9704.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 54
I thought I should log what I am growing with before I get too far along.

Grow tent: 2x4x6'7'' Gorilla Lite
Ventilation: 4 inch inline fan with Black Ops charcoal filter
Lighting: Timber 3VL 300 Watt LED grow light fixture featuring Vero29 Generation 7 COB LEDs
Soil: Soft Pots with Roots Organics Potting Soil
Plants: Raspberry Cough and Wonder Woman
Nutrients: Botanicare Cal-Mag (added to all water since I have an RO system on my tap), Pure Blend Pro Grow for veg, and Pure Blend Pro Bloom for flower

I tried to fit a 12 inch fan into the tent but it was too big. I have ordered a 6 inch clip fan and will add that in a week.
Hey I'm pulling up a front row seat.
I've been looking at them timbers also they kick butt.
I love your set up looks like your getting off to a great start.
While we wait :passitleft:

I figured that I should copy and paste the description of the plants I am growing, as there seems to be a million strains and names.

Wonder Woman:
THC: High
CBD: Medium

Wonder Woman is one of those strains that you can use anytime during the day. In the morning she pairs well with coffee and will help you get your day started. But we found that the high's clear mindset works wonders for sleep and helps you clear away the bothersome thoughts that keep you awake.
Wonder Woman's Super Skunk and White Widow lineage keep her short with an easy flowering time of 8-10 weeks. Her pungent skunky notes are met beautifully with her bright and sweet overtones that many find desirable.
Our tip for the strain: Wonder Woman's indica side really shows when she's in her pre-flowering stage, also known as the infamous stretch period. Expect her to at most only double in size when flipping from veg to flower, with a more expected result of her only getting about 1/3rd taller.
What we love about this strain: Wonder Woman gives growers an easy time and is resilient to common mistakes made by first-time growers. But our favorite thing is the perfect ratio of THC and CBD because this is marijuana that you’ll love smoking anytime in the day.

Specifications
Genetics Super Skunk x White Widow
Plant type Predominantly Indica
Sex Type Female
Cultivation Indoor as well as Outdoor
Average Yield 450 - 550 g/m² in SOG
Flowering Period 8 - 10 weeks
Grow Difficulty Easy

Raspberry Cough:
THC: High
CBD: High

Raspberry Cough is known most for one thing, for its high and how self-motivating and energizing it is.
Raspberry Cough is a cross between Cambodian, Landrace, and ICE making her a 70/30 sativa/indica blend. She has a milky berry-sweetness that never becomes too sweet, which we strove hard to create because we found that often fruity strains can be a bit too sweet and lack that classically loved marijuana full-body earthiness.
What we love about this strain: This is our go-to when we are feeling fatigued and can really refocus and energize you during mid-afternoon when that caffeine crash starts pulling you down.

Specifications
Genetics Cambodian IBL x Ice x Haze#1
Plant type Predominantly Sativa
Sex Type Female
Cultivation Indoor
Average Yield 400 - 500 g/m² in SOG
Flowering Period 9 - 11 weeks
Grow Difficulty Medium

Since this is a grow journal, I figured I would post some learning lessons and my plants at exactly 8 days from dry seed meets water. I have learned that my soil is a bit hot or that I exposed them to excessive light too fast. After putting the seedlings in soil the tips of all four turned yellow. You can see the bit of yellow in the photos. I didn't want to get the soil too wet since they are so small, so I cut back on lighting and added two six inch fans (to limit heat issues). The yellowing has not progressed since making those changes and the second sets of leaves are definitely growing. They have not stretched since being potted, so I think my lights are doing okay. at this point, they have had only two waterings. It will be a couple more days before I water again (most likely). I am currently happy with how the plants look. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9718.jpg
    IMG_9718.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9719.jpg
    IMG_9719.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_9720.jpg
    IMG_9720.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9722.jpg
    IMG_9722.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9721.jpg
    IMG_9721.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 41
We are 11 days since water met dry seed and about 9 days since the seeds broke ground. I transplanted them exactly 7 days ago because the tap roots for all four were out the bottom of the root riot cube. The second set of leaves are almost all the way out. I have been so worried about overwatering that I think I have slightly underwatered. I have noticed that the growth explodes after a good watering. Also, the growth seems larger after a few hours of darkness (I have been reading a lot about 24/0 and 20/4 and 18/6 light schedules). The nutrient burn on the tips is from when I put the seedlings in the soil. I have not fed any nitrogen or other nutrients, so I think the soil was a tad hot. However, the second set of leaves look great and they are now showing their third fingers. Believe it or not, I have only smoked pot less than 5 times in my life and I didn't like 3 of the times; I am sensitive to THC and got too high, LOL. I have even had to read how to harvest and smoke the bud, HA HA! I am approaching this from a medical perspective but growing these girls (possibly girls) is absolutely amazing. I know this is common for many people, but it is fascinating for those of us who were too afraid to break the law to treat our ailments. :)

My only concern now is that there is zero spacing between nodes. I hope they open up a tad as the plant grows.I am not sure how to do low stress training if they stay so tight.

Here are the babies (the first two are Raspberry Cough and the last two are Wonder Woman from Nirvana, found on Seedsman Seeds):

Attachments

• IMG_9737.jpg
    IMG_9737.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9738.jpg
    IMG_9738.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9739.jpg
    IMG_9739.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9740.jpg
    IMG_9740.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 35
I have been struggling to keep Rh high. I have two cups of standing water in the tent. The LED's put off enough heat that I have to keep the vent going at a medium level to prevent the temp from getting above 82. That makes the humidity stay low since it is fall temps. I mist them to make up for the Rh, but I don't know what else to do. The fan will suck out all the humidity even if I put a humidifier in the tent. The fact the heater is running to keep the house warm is why it is Rh so low. In the summer it will be at 65 and I will have to get another dehumidifier to bring it down, That will be easier than adding humidity since I can dehumidify the whole space ;(

Back
Top Bottom