Need Help Picking Out An LED

Hawk518

As the outdoor grow season comes to an end, I realize that I’m really going to miss trying to grow these plants. Soo, I’m debating setting up a grow tent so I can continue on thru the winter.

Unfortunately, I'm totally clueless on what to look for in an LED light. Pretty sure I can figure out tents and filters and such, but the LEDs? NO idea. Keep hearing that the posted LED stats aren’t necessarily accurate. Also, the articles I’ve read seem to be all over the place.

Can someone please advise me on what to look for in an LED? Or just recommend one (from the sponsors list if others break rules)? Or just point me in the direction of an article that spells it out for newbies. I’m looking for one that will cover a 4x4 tent and is hopefully priced on the low end.

Thank you!

As the outdoor grow season comes to an end, I realize that I’m really going to miss trying to grow these plants. Soo, I’m debating setting up a grow tent so I can continue on thru the winter.

Unfortunately, I'm totally clueless on what to look for in an LED light. Pretty sure I can figure out tents and filters and such, but the LEDs? NO idea. Keep hearing that the posted LED stats aren’t necessarily accurate. Also, the articles I’ve read seem to be all over the place.

Can someone please advise me on what to look for in an LED? Or just recommend one (from the sponsors list if others break rules)? Or just point me in the direction of an article that spells it out for newbies. I’m looking for one that will cover a 4x4 tent and is hopefully priced on the low end.

Thank you!
If your looking for something priced on the low end then the sponsors here will be ya go too!
Plenty of others but they more expensive.

I'll try to leave the decision up to you as I'm not paid a commission and it'll encourage you to shop around.
but for the most part there's a lot of similarity between offerings from different companies and what really separates them is the assembly, branding, price, warrantee, service. That said, some lights will still be better than others or have features others don't like UV/IR or Samsung diodes, which have become the industry standard. Pick a light that you can afford and that has the right coverage for your area. I think you'd be happy with a light from either one of our sponsors but if you want more advice or suggestions just ask.

Thank you!
@ViparSpectra @VIVOSUN @Mars Hydro are all great companies and great lights. Personally I like @ViparSpectra the best. They seem to have the newest technology. CL🍀

Thanks!! I’ll gladly buy from one of our sponsors!
Apologies in advance for SO many questions!

What are the important stats I'm looking for if I buy a 4x4 tent?
- Assuming that I want Full spectrum with a Dimmer
- Should I care about voltage, lumens, input power, PPFD, and energy consumption, and if so, at what amounts?
- Wattage – I’ve heard anything from 100 to 450 is the amount needed? I’m seeing descriptions like: “Comparable to traditional 300W-450W HPS/MH while consuming only 150W.” Am I looking at the traditional amount or the amount consumed to determine the desired wattage?

Once again, sorry for the babble. These LED stats just confuse me and even more so when I hear that a lot of the stats provided are not accurate.

450 - 600w for a 4x4 should be alright.
When I first started here I was running 300w and still got some decent harvests in but I've since doubled up to 600w.
I've noticed a lot of foxtailing since, so 600 is perhaps a bit overkill -
But with extra wattage it could give you a chance to run the light dimmed and prolong the lifespan of the diodes.

For PPFD, prefer a chart that has close to 1k across the entire 4x4 area if possible.
500-700ppfd is suitable for veg, 800-1200 (with co2) for bloom.

Some higher end lights that I consider to be better build quality than those mentioned. HLG, Gavita, Lumateck, chilled, GLA, Blackdog, Foshe, California light works and many others.

Although this board doesn't always like them try looking at Mars Hydro. For less than $100, on special, you can buy a 150 watt TS1000. It is enough to get started. It isn't going to drive your electric bill sky high but it will allow you to try your hand at growing inside. i don't use a tent or any fancy meters but I almost always end up with enjoyable bud. When you compare the quality of grow your own vs. dispenso you will be convinced.

The Vivosun VSF6450 will fit your 4x4 perfectly. At 645w, you'll probably never need to go past 80% which will extend the life of the LEDs. And right now Vivosun has that light on flash sale (30% off) ;)

Some higher end lights that I consider to be better build quality than those mentioned. HLG, Gavita, Lumateck, chilled, GLA, Blackdog, Foshe, California light works and many others.
Over priced many of those lights my friend and real old tec in the black dog light cough purple :)
Your change your light before any @ViparSpectra @Mars Hydro light breaks.
Me after testing a few of these two brands would buy any bar light they make for a 4x4 space.
Happy growing. ;)

Over priced many of those lights my friend and real old tec in the black dog light cough purple :)
Your change your light before any @ViparSpectra @Mars Hydro light breaks.
Me after testing a few of these two brands would buy any bar light they make for a 4x4 space.
Happy growing. ;)
I think 🤔 for an entry level light that you can’t go wrong with the @ViparSpectra XS-1500. I used it for a closet grow with a @Mars Hydro TS-600 and I was really impressed with it. Definitely not big enuff for a 4’X4’ though. CL🍀. :thumb: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yes but with a 4x4 you're going to need 4 of them or 2 KS3000's at 189$ each, which is a double KS1500.
Then you got 600 watts which you probably don't need to use but nice it's available.
But at that point you might indeed maybe want to go for one barlight system for the whole.
That’s why I said the @ViparSpectra KS-5000 first. CL🍀

🤣 have you ever used or owned any of the lights I listed?
Only one if im honest Lumateck ats good light BUT for the money the FC3000 out performed
Price and product much more even canopy less heat etc being a bar light psu out the tent again etc.

As for the rest no i have not so performance i really cant comment.
But my point was over priced and older tec in most of black dogs lights is a fair comment.
Not that the lights are not good even the older black dog tec are good lights dont mean i want to pay that type of money for one.

When i can get more wattage or the same cheaper.

Again performance i cant comment i assume by your comment you have tested them all?:)

Only one if im honest Lumateck ats good light BUT for the money the FC3000 out performed
Price and product much more even canopy less heat etc being a bar light psu out the tent again etc.

As for the rest no i have not so performance i really cant comment.
But my point was over priced and older tec in most of black dogs lights is a fair comment.
Not that the lights are not good even the older black dog tec are good lights dont mean i want to pay that type of money for one.

When i can get more wattage or the same cheaper.

Again performance i cant comment i assume by your comment you have tested them all?:)
I'm using a Lumatek ATS Pro and lovin it - a lot of US brands aren't even available here so it was the best I could find for a sensible price - when such a thing existed in the UK lol

I feel right now price wise the fc-e4800 an 6500 are great value.
That being said i would take if i needed a light , one of any sponsor here.
If the price per wattage was right really not much in it now a days.
For a small home grow
Heat and coverage for me are what i look at for my space as its hot.
And a said price per watt unless i get a freebee.
But the ks5000 is a good light your be happy op.

:)

I went bang for the buck MedicGrow
Fold-8. Before i go all fanboy, there are some issues. The fuxture has detent settings at 40,60,80,100%, which means if ur looking for 70%, you will be raising it up or down physically to get it right. Second, the outboard controler cost $200, and will do variable single increments
from 40-100% and control on/off times (it better for $200). Third, the builtin proprietary driver is embedded in the unit which warms the tent, i can always keep it 80° with fan control when flower cycle requires lite cannon intensity which will be my first Pro comment. This thing is a lite cannon for sure, always hitting target PAR/DLI at or below 80%. Coverage in a 4x4 is insane, theres a killer review where a lite testing guy really puts it through its paces, i think i can’t offer a link or i would, it’ll lite a 5x5 too….. i use it in my 4x4

So wts, the full “shabang” with controler, will be at least $700, possibly less but thats a ball park

Back
Top Bottom