New Grower's Journal - Northern Lights Auto By RQS

aninooo

Hello all,

I am at day 19 already.

Growing 4 Northern Lights Auto Flowers by Royal Queen Seeds for my first ever grow.

4X2X5 Zazzy Tent.

Temp is around 75 degrees and humidity around 65%. 18/6 light cycle with a timer.

I am using the Bushdoctor Coco Loco medium with the Cultivation Nation Trio liquid nutrients. I also am using the Bushdoctor CalMag by FoxFarm.

Just today on day 19 I introduced the first dose of Macro and Grow nutrients at 1/3 dosage and CalMag at 1/2 recommended dose.
This is a used setup I bought from Facebook Marketplace and I think I spent around $300 total for everything.

So far plants are looking good. A couple of them started to lean so I turned my Veg and Bloom switch on on my light. Its a cheap light so it doesn't have a dimmer. I am hoping this will straighten the plants out.

I also saw a small fly in the tent today so if anyone can give me some advice on how to stop the spread of pests I would appreciate it.

Any other advice is welcome. Thanks!

Nino

20240117_115717~2.jpg

20240117_145444.jpg

20240117_150038.jpg

20240125_182222~2.jpg

20240125_182315~2.jpg

BD1.jpg

BD2.jpg

CN 3 Part.jpg

Hello all,

I am at day 19 already.

Growing 4 Northern Lights Auto Flowers by Royal Queen Seeds for my first ever grow.

4X2X5 Zazzy Tent.

Temp is around 75 degrees and humidity around 65%. 18/6 light cycle with a timer.

I am using the Bushdoctor Coco Loco medium with the Cultivation Nation Trio liquid nutrients. I also am using the Bushdoctor CalMag by FoxFarm.

Just today on day 19 I introduced the first dose of Macro and Grow nutrients at 1/3 dosage and CalMag at 1/2 recommended dose.
This is a used setup I bought from Facebook Marketplace and I think I spent around $300 total for everything.

So far plants are looking good. A couple of them started to lean so I turned my Veg and Bloom switch on on my light. Its a cheap light so it doesn't have a dimmer. I am hoping this will straighten the plants out.

I also saw a small fly in the tent today so if anyone can give me some advice on how to stop the spread of pests I would appreciate it.

Any other advice is welcome. Thanks!

Nino

20240117_115717~2.jpg

20240117_145444.jpg

20240117_150038.jpg

20240125_182222~2.jpg

20240125_182315~2.jpg

BD1.jpg

BD2.jpg

CN 3 Part.jpg
Hello welcome aboard, nice start .
Was it a fungus gnat tiny little flying insect they lay larvae in the soil and they eat on roots they love moist soil .
Buy some Mosquito Bits 👍
SmartSelect_20240126-113142_eBay.jpg

I forgot to mention one more thing. The plants are not really tall at all. They are really low to the ground and some of the leaves are touching the soil. Is that normal or should they be taller? From pictures I see other plants are quite taller than mine at day 19.

Day 22 today.

I keep letting the soil really dry out and I haven't seen another fly or gnat yet. Hopefully the fan and the dry soil did the work. I watered them today and did a little LST. I think it might be a little early but there are many little leaves popping out underneath so I just leaned the plants to one side today and tied them. I am curious to see how they react in the next couple of day. I might go get some gardening staples tomorrow since tying to fabric pots doesn't really work well.

So far they look amazing. The stems have really thickened and they're green now. They were purple in the beginning but now they're all green. They are also growing and getting taller.

20240127_232305~2.jpg

20240128_181059~2.jpg

Day 29 -

Got my first setback I would say. Some yellow tips on the new leaves. I am thinking its a nutrient burn. 2 of my 4 plants have it, the other 2 are doing fine. I did water today and used 1.5 liters per plant hoping to flush out any excess nutrients. Anyone got any advice on what I should do from here please let me know.
Otherwise, I will just let them be and lower my nutrients on the next feed.

Sorry about the burple pic but its a dark room and I don't have any natural light here.

20240204_155041.jpg

20240204_155920.jpg

Switch your lamp to blue AND red - the blue is keeping them squat
I'd also take off those two huge fan leaves at the top which are shading bud sites below; pinch the tip out; then tease out those lower branches to even out the canopy
It'll reward you with new growth there almost overnight
Hey Roy, thanks for the advice. My light is already on blue and red. I will defoliate soon as well. I can see a lot of new growth underneath and with the LST has helped get them to grow

Hey Roy, thanks for the advice. My light is already on blue and red. I will defoliate soon as well. I can see a lot of new growth underneath and with the LST has helped get them to grow
Wow, looks like only blue - maybe switch off the blue to encourage a bit of stretch
I only say that cos I've had mould problems with big buds on short plants, you want some nodal spacing to help with airflow

If I had to guess it is a fungus gnat I saw. I will definitely get some the Mosquito Bits asap. Thanks a bunch!!

If I had to guess it is a fungus gnat I saw. I will definitely get some the Mosquito Bits asap. Thanks a bunch!!!
I've had them. I hope you didn't wait too long for thr mosquito bits. They are no joke. Outside of treating the soil (it can only help), I wouldn't worry about it. Odds are it wasn't a fungus gnat. If you really saw one flying, they are already in your soil and on your leaves (litlle white dots on the underside). They don't go away by themselves. You need to break the cycle of egg, larva, crawling, flying.

Mosquito bits don,t kill the crawlers and flyers that lay the eggs and eat your leaves.

I would recommend some sticky tape to hang to catch the flyers. It also acts as a monitor.

Diatomacious earth will kill the crawlers. Its not at all harmful to the roots, but it is devestating to a gnat on your soil.

In my experience (twice) it takes 3 treatments to get it under control. Some people treat the leaves with neam oil. I haven't done that. Too much work.

I hope you don't have them. They suck.

Wow, looks like only blue - maybe switch off the blue to encourage a bit of stretch
I only say that cos I've had mould problems with big buds on short plants, you want some nodal spacing to help with airflow
It's probably just because of the camera because they don't look like this under the light. The picture always comes out different. They look green in the tent.

I've had them. I hope you didn't wait too long for thr mosquito bits. They are no joke. If you saw one flying, they are in your soil. They don't go away by themselves. You need to break the cycle of egg, larva, crawling, flying. I would allso recommend some sticky tape to hang to catch the flyers. It also acts as a monitor. Diometacious earth
They mostly feed on mould and their larvae hatch in the top 1" or so of soil, they can also chew on root hairs and they are a nuisance
A light watering of 3% H2O2 frazzles eggs and larvae in the surface of the soil, and any organic matter which might be potential food for them - repeat after 3-5 days
Yellow stickies will catch most of the adults if you lay them across the top of the pot
The flies will be all but gone within a week

Again sorry about the color of the pic but can anyone tell me if this looks like its starting to flower??

Its day 30 today.

20240205_153435.jpg

The color is hard to tell but it seems like pistils there. Check between your branches and see if you see any hairs. This does look like its flowering though yes, but with the photo you have given us. Its hard to tell. Are they white?

The color is hard to tell but it seems like pistils there. Check between your branches and see if you see any hairs. This does look like its flowering though yes, but with the photo you have given us. Its hard to tell. Are they white?
I do see Pistils on all the branches. They have been there for about a week now. Sorry about the pic i dont have any light in the room. Thanks for the feedback though I will just keep an eye out on this.

I tried taking some pics with the flash hope its visible...

20240206_134818.jpg

20240206_134834.jpg

20240206_134846.jpg

20240206_134904.jpg

20240206_134921.jpg

Back
Top Bottom