New to SCROG needing assistance

HiighTide

Hello all
My 2nd grow and I’m trying out the scrog method. My question is after flipping to flower how tall will the tops stretch once flipped? My first grow the plants grew 2X their initial height, will the tops in the scrog do the same?
I’m trying to manage the height of the plants and keep them under 6ft but I also don’t want tiny tops either.
Thank in advance

Hello all
My 2nd grow and I’m trying out the scrog method. My question is after flipping to flower how tall will the tops stretch once flipped? My first grow the plants grew 2X their initial height, will the tops in the scrog do the same?
I’m trying to manage the height of the plants and keep them under 6ft but I also don’t want tiny tops either.
Thank in advance
Hello hiigh tide.
It's all strain dependent, most stretch for 3 to 4 weeks, but a true sativa will stretch for ever. Then you get hybrids that can go either way depending on pheno.
The best way if you haven't experienced the strain before is, look in the journals in progress or completed and find someone who is/has grown that strain, see what they experienced.

I grew a sativa (IN HYDRO) for my 1st and OMG the stretch lol. Well I’ve learned from that for sure and I have a max height from floor to top of canopy of 5ft 5in that I would like to be at or below.
Thanks for your input, I’ll check around more and see what I come up with.

The screen is there to attach branches to. It doesn’t really matter how tall the plant tries to stretch. Bend limbs horizontally and loosely fasten to the screen- repeat. I use pipe cleaners loosely attached.

Hello buddy I'm on my second 3rd scrog this year and I can honestly say the best advice I can give is buy 50x50mm mesh, doesn't matter what material, its the best size to allow consistent bud stems and equal areas per bud site.

After you have installed a screen all I do is allow the branches to cover up all of the area barring 4 inches around the edge of the grow area, after that I allow to grow vertically for around a week (Strain depending, Indica allow a week or two, Hybrid allow a week and if its a sativa just switch to flower once your area is covered).

I'm always growing scrogs in my coco journal so if you want to see the stages you can follow them :).

The screen is there to attach branches to. It doesn’t really matter how tall the plant tries to stretch. Bend limbs horizontally and loosely fasten to the screen- repeat. I use pipe cleaners loosely attached.
I’m picking up what you putting down. Just wanted to be sure my thinking was correct in that the tops would still double in size so I don’t get too high this time. Hadn’t ran across anyone using the pipe cleaners to tie them down though. You have pics of that?
Hello buddy I'm on my second 3rd scrog this year and I can honestly say the best advice I can give is buy 50x50mm mesh, doesn't matter what material, its the best size to allow consistent bud stems and equal areas per bud site.

After you have installed a screen all I do is allow the branches to cover up all of the area barring 4 inches around the edge of the grow area, after that I allow to grow vertically for around a week (Strain depending, Indica allow a week or two, Hybrid allow a week and if its a sativa just switch to flower once your area is covered).

I'm always growing scrogs in my coco journal so if you want to see the stages you can follow them :).
Will definitely check those journals. Do you guys cover 75-80% or 100% before flipping?

I just always leave that 4" inches around the edge bud, if there's to many branches then you can trim and use for clones but iv not had this problem yet.

What strain are you wanting to grow?

I'm growing India and Hybrid scrogs next month so I'll be able to give you a rough idea how much I leave to how much they stretch through.

I have seen many scrog growers allow the branches to grow through the screen a lot and then flip but in my opinion its pointless as your making more foliage to trim up, but honestly the 50x50 is what does all the work for me you wouldn't believe it lol.

. Just wanted to be sure my thinking was correct in that the tops would still double in size so I don’t get too high this time. Hadn’t ran across anyone using the pipe cleaners to tie them down though. You have pics of that

It’s been a couple years since I stopped scrogging, so I’d have to dig deeper than I have time for at the moment. I’ll try to find something - or take some new pics to demonstrate.
But basically -with a screen in place and minimal skills- supercropping and a little LST, you have no reason to fear stretch. I’ve tamed the stretchiest sativas by laying them down horizontally over and over, till they finally gave up and stayed down.

It’s been a couple years since I stopped scrogging, so I’d have to dig deeper than I have time for at the moment. I’ll try to find something - or take some new pics to demonstrate.
But basically -with a screen in place and minimal skills- supercropping and a little LST, you have no reason to fear stretch. I’ve tamed the stretchiest sativas by laying them down horizontally over and over, till they finally gave up and stayed down.

^^

This is gospel!

I'm running my first scrog, too. I'm running my grow in a tiny tent so keeping everything low is a top priority for me. I've tied my tops to the net after a good few weeks of tucking and tucking.
The best way if you haven't experienced the strain before is, look in the journals in progress or completed and find someone who is/has grown that strain, see what they experienced.

Also this!
I've looked around this website and more (sorry 420) for journals with the strain I'm growing while paying close attention to how much other people's plants have stretched.
I used this information to judge when to stop the training and let her grow.

Check out my journal, if you like, bud. Here is what my girl looked like last night

IMG_20200627_203924.jpg

Back
Top Bottom