Newb here, hi!

It seems that about 80% or more of people on here say "Don't worry about Run Off pH". "Only worry about the pH of the nutes you're feeding". I was taught to check it when I learned to grow.
So who is right & who is wrong ... I don't know. I do still check it about once a month to make sure things aren't way off. I believe @Pennywise could explain this better. I'm not sure of the reason.

Some more pics of my concerns...there are a cpl tops doing some weird coloration and twisty leaves
I don’t think you need to ph ,the soil @InTheShed has a tutorial in his signature you might want to check out !

don’t think you need to ph ,the soil @InTheShed has a tutorial in his signature you might want to check out !
Welcome Trinisy we're glad you are here! I don't have a ton of experience but I am pretty sure your girls would like a touch less acid in your soil. I think soil folks like to be right around 6.8-7pH?, so if you are putting in 6.2 and getting out 6.2 you are about guaranteed your soil pH is low. I'd get a cheap soil wand and while it isn't going to be perfectly accurate, it can give you a baseline level for what your soil is, and as you check it with the same tool over and over again, you can measure the changes on the tool which will give you good data regardless of how accurate it acutally is reading. I actually watched a video with a woman who used one then sent her soil out to be tested and it was about spot on. I find mine to be pretty consistent even if it isnt giving me a exact result. CHeers mate, gl to your grow! :yahoo:

Thanks for the input, Ive been feeding with 6.4/6.5. They are definitely liking the increase in ph. Planting on Sunday.
I figured pH was your main issue. Glad to hear things are turning around for you. Looks like you've got a lot of plants. Hope you have help harvesting all that or you'll be at the table for a month trimming it .... LOL.

That's wrong.
Bold statement, I do quite well at 7 for my soil. I'd probably have a crunchy mess at 6.2, looking forward to not finding out! :D
LawnNutrientChart.jpg

Bold statement, I do quite well at 7 for my soil. I'd probably have a crunchy mess at 6.2, looking forward to not finding out! :D
LawnNutrientChart.jpg
My George Cervantes & Ed Rosenthal books say different. I've also seen other charts that are different then the one you're showing. Just going by that is all. Not trying to insult you by any means. If 7.0 works for you it's all good. But maybe try 6.4 - 6.5 & see if you get better results or not. If I go to 7.0 my plants get issues every time. I think 90% of the people on this site will say 6.4 - 6.5 for soil is best; but you can go outside that range because the buffers in the soil.

This is @InTheShed thread on the subject of ph and soil .

Welcome to the forum @Trinisy :welcome:

Sounds like your getting a ton of good advice :thumb:
Thank you for the warm welcome, I agree they are off to a decent start.

On 5/3 they were uppotted from cubes to 3 gal pots and watered in with 6.0 water. 1/4 gal each.

The soil mix is:

On the bottom of the pot is black gold

Middle layer is FF ocean forest

Top is promix

On 5/5 they were fed botanicare

pure blen pro grow @ 7.5ml/gal

calmag @ 3ml/gal

lqd karma @ 2.5ml/gal

Each plant was given 1/4 gal each.

Looking awesome.

5/11

Fed again

10ml/gal grow

4ml/gal calmag

3ml/liqkarma.

Looking great.

5/16. Taco leaf begins.

5/18. Fed 1/4 gal 6.0 ph water

Taco leafs continue.

5/21. Flushed with 6.2 water. 1 gal each.

Runoff was a bit low so ph at 6.2.

Taco leafs got better after the flush but I also increased hum in the indoor room. I cant really control outside hum but I think norcal is typically ok for outs.

Today I'm seeing leaf tips curl up and some light brown on the tips as well. You can see it in a few pics. This is only on older sun leaves
No need to PH :thedoubletake: your soil is buffering it anyway :popcorn:

They will be ready for water/feed tomorrow. Im wondering now if I flushed too much now and it's beginning to show deficiencies....
I only flush my toilet :rofl:
Your in good hands here @Trinisy. How are you checking your run off?
No need to check run off, it's useless unless :dude-knocking: you have an extreme deficiency
Capturing the runoff in a plastic cup then measuring with bluelab pen
Welcome Trinity to 420 Magazine
My Dosidos did the taco thing both grows . I like the way the girls build the trichs on the taco leaves .
8D653A76-C1CD-4788-A2E0-FA40E255B2B4.jpeg
That's beautiful brother :yummy::yummy:
Hi Trinisy & welcome to 420. The Taco leaves are from Heat Stress. The burnt tips & wavy leaves are from too strong of nutes. One other thing is your pH is too low for soil plants. You need to pH to 6.4 - 6.5 for soil. 5.8 - 6.0 is more of a Hydro pH.
If you pH to 5.8 - 6.0 all the nutrients wont uptake to the plant as they are absorbed at different pH levels. This pH differs soil to hydro. So your wavy leaves could be due to your pH being off & nutes not getting used because of it. pH to 6.4 for a week & I'll bet things get better.
Again, you can practice PHing your water, but your soil is still buffering to make it right :thumb::goodluck:

Again, you can practice PHing your water, but your soil is still buffering to make it right
So you're saying I can take my 7.6 pH tap water & mix in my Mega Crop & even though it now pH's to 7.2 I'll be OK feeding it to my plants ? The soil will adjust it for me ?
So what's the sense in pH up & down ? Is it only for Hydro ?
Trying to understand the logic in this because every thing I've ever read says to pH 6.4 - 6.5 for soil & 5.8 - 6.0 for Hydro. I'd really like to know more about this because I'm wasting money on pH down if I don't need it.

So you're saying I can take my 7.6 pH tap water & mix in my Mega Crop & even though it now pH's to 7.2 I'll be OK feeding it to my plants ? The soil will adjust it for me ?
So what's the sense in pH up & down ? Is it only for Hydro ?
Trying to understand the logic in this because every thing I've ever read says to pH 6.4 - 6.5 for soil & 5.8 - 6.0 for Hydro. I'd really like to know more about this because I'm wasting money on pH down if I don't need it.
Yes if you're running a buffered soil, like Pro Mix, Sunshine #4, or Fox Farms...they have Dolomite Lime (garden lime) and Epsom salts...all natural PH up down buffer, or variants there of, like limestone dust can replace garden lime at different ratios :thumb:
And no, all soils are not buffered, so PH up-down is good thing to have...but like I said I use the garden lime and epsom salts for calcium and PH issues if they arise :thumb:

I think I'll just keep practicing pH-ing as I feel safer that way. Especially after my last grow. Everyone said "No need to pH MC". I was growing in FFOF. I had all kinds of issues at 1st. Then I flushed each plant & pH'd everything, every time after that & No More Issues. Maybe a coincidence, I don't know. But I'll just keep practicing to feel more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom