Nick Hardy's Big Grow 2023 Gorilla Glue Skunk 11 OG Kush Coco Peat Co2 Mars Hydro

NST level 2/10
(Zoap level today so far 0)

Today a couple more wilting. The two that had a drop of water are still wilting. The two that didn't if not bouncing are much happier. So overwatering. Didn't water the new wilting or prev wilting ones today.

I was worried about high Ph inputs - like the well water has jumped. Rainy to dry season I thought. Asked for my seedling/veg grow manager to adjust the nutes today and drop the cal mag by half and cut out the root boost I didn't use before. (OK my wife is my Seedling/Veg Manager šŸ˜‚) She went to get a bottle of Suphuric Acid @InTheShed said can help bring it down that was in storage down the road. She brought back 8L of 95% Ethanol Propyl instead. I have some trim coming in a week so that was good. RSO here I come. I don't need the acid I think..

Because - I tested the new mix and the Ph is right back where it should be - its the Root Boost I guess - recommended 0.4ml/L - 1ml/L and I went straight in at 1ml/L

The droopy ones not fed yesterday are coming back so awesome. There are a couple of new droopy ones that were fed yesterday and so won't get fed until they come back too think I have a handle on it now.

But C02 - so I fed normal rates, my 1300ppm averaged to 1200. But I just dropped a pipe in there, not behind a fan yet.

Guess what? The plants with issues all around the Co2 dispenser and sensor. They gorged on it, desperate for water took on more than they can handle is my guess. The plants to the left and right got the right amount and look great.

So tomorrow when I think/hope all of them looking perky again:

Drop lights lower again.

Place Co2 tube behind a fan to evenly disperse

Disperse for only 4 single hours split evenly through the day and starting at 1000 only.

Add back the root boost at 0.4ml/L - I'll just make a single litre to test with Cal Mag back to 1ml/L and the A/B 2ml/L

Especially the gorilla glues are bouncing, a couple covering 6-8 squares of net already. The OG Kush dark green and bushier. It was the Skunk 11 in the middle that have the problems. Right by the Co2....

Learned plenty the last 36 hours.

Some photos - the yellow droopy is actually OG Kush which contradicts what I said slightly - but it gets a full blast of c02 as its next to the sensor and the pipe curls towards that way/side of the tent - plastic pipe that arrives in roll has its preference!

So yeah I'm at background level stress.

Saw a problem, woulnd everything back and watched. Think its gonna be ok. But we'll see!

Nick

Zoaped Level 9/10
NST Level - 1/10.

Some correlation I think šŸ˜…

But yeah hour by hour all the droopies coming back and didnā€™t mention I did some pretty firm training today to get half the GGā€™s down. And outwards under the net. They look mega.

So have plenty reasons to be happy with how its going so far. Little problem. Relax. Dial back everything to safe and recover. Understand what went wrong. Smoke some after and be very happy šŸ˜€

NST level 2/10
(Zoap level today so far 0)

Today a couple more wilting. The two that had a drop of water are still wilting. The two that didn't if not bouncing are much happier. So overwatering. Didn't water the new wilting or prev wilting ones today.

I was worried about high Ph inputs - like the well water has jumped. Rainy to dry season I thought. Asked for my seedling/veg grow manager to adjust the nutes today and drop the cal mag by half and cut out the root boost I didn't use before. (OK my wife is my Seedling/Veg Manager šŸ˜‚) She went to get a bottle of Suphuric Acid @InTheShed said can help bring it down that was in storage down the road. She brought back 8L of 95% Ethanol Propyl instead. I have some trim coming in a week so that was good. RSO here I come. I don't need the acid I think..

Because - I tested the new mix and the Ph is right back where it should be - its the Root Boost I guess - recommended 0.4ml/L - 1ml/L and I went straight in at 1ml/L

The droopy ones not fed yesterday are coming back so awesome. There are a couple of new droopy ones that were fed yesterday and so won't get fed until they come back too think I have a handle on it now.

But C02 - so I fed normal rates, my 1300ppm averaged to 1200. But I just dropped a pipe in there, not behind a fan yet.

Guess what? The plants with issues all around the Co2 dispenser and sensor. They gorged on it, desperate for water took on more than they can handle is my guess. The plants to the left and right got the right amount and look great.

So tomorrow when I think/hope all of them looking perky again:

Drop lights lower again.

Place Co2 tube behind a fan to evenly disperse

Disperse for only 4 single hours split evenly through the day and starting at 1000 only.

Add back the root boost at 0.4ml/L - I'll just make a single litre to test with Cal Mag back to 1ml/L and the A/B 2ml/L

Especially the gorilla glues are bouncing, a couple covering 6-8 squares of net already. The OG Kush dark green and bushier. It was the Skunk 11 in the middle that have the problems. Right by the Co2....

Learned plenty the last 36 hours.

Some photos - the yellow droopy is actually OG Kush which contradicts what I said slightly - but it gets a full blast of c02 as its next to the sensor and the pipe curls towards that way/side of the tent - plastic pipe that arrives in roll has its preference!

So yeah I'm at background level stress.

Saw a problem, woulnd everything back and watched. Think its gonna be ok. But we'll see!

Nick
Wow. You are funny, man, in a good way, lol - I get a kick out of your writing. Lots to unpack here, as you tend to cover a lot of ground (which, duh, you have a more complicated system than what 90% of us use, and Iā€™m so jealous)

Interesting observation on which plants are yellowing/wilting more than others and why. Must have learned a lot about CO2 already in this grow that you didnā€™t know before, yes? (I am cuz reading your journal, so gracias).

May I offer an idea since your McGuyver skills exceed mine and Iā€™m sure you could pull this off if you chose to? I think youā€™ll like this. What about running your CO2 dispersion pipe straight across the ceiling of the space, covering side to side in the center all the way, only (hereā€™s the good part) instead of a solid pipe where the CO2 comes out the end, you drill it out or whatever (not sure what this pipe is made of) so that you end up with a pipe that looks like a carbon filter with all the little holes (obviously wouldnā€™t take that many holes). Then, I believe that CO2 is heavy enough and likely just about the right weight to both go down the whole tube but also filter down through the holes on the plants all the way from the top. And since itā€™s in the middle, by the time the CO2 floats down four or five or six feet or whatever, it will spread enough that you would have much more even dispersion than a fan behind an exit hole. Is this a dumb idea? Thinking out loud.

If you need to adjust your ph, why not just spend like $20 on the Zon and grab a bottle of Ph up and Ph down? Itā€™s way easy, way consistent, way dependable, and way cheap. No downside. No ethanol propyl. No stress. Lmao.

Sounds like youā€™ve figured out the watering thing.

Sounds like youā€™re managing your stress level. Again, lol. I laugh cuz itā€™s such a reality. The more you have going on the more stress there is.

Good stuff.

Looking good. Someday you'll join us in SIP Club and never worry about watering again. ;)
Haha - that is unfair! I lost one by dog and I have a new one ready to go. But need to wait 12 hours for photos. Little girl with a cold distracted me and the Grow Manager.
Wow. You are funny, man, in a good way, lol - I get a kick out of your writing. Lots to unpack here, as you tend to cover a lot of ground (which, duh, you have a more complicated system than what 90% of us use, and Iā€™m so jealous)

Interesting observation on which plants are yellowing/wilting more than others and why. Must have learned a lot about CO2 already in this grow that you didnā€™t know before, yes? (I am cuz reading your journal, so gracias).

May I offer an idea since your McGuyver skills exceed mine and Iā€™m sure you could pull this off if you chose to? I think youā€™ll like this. What about running your CO2 dispersion pipe straight across the ceiling of the space, covering side to side in the center all the way, only (hereā€™s the good part) instead of a solid pipe where the CO2 comes out the end, you drill it out or whatever (not sure what this pipe is made of) so that you end up with a pipe that looks like a carbon filter with all the little holes (obviously wouldnā€™t take that many holes). Then, I believe that CO2 is heavy enough and likely just about the right weight to both go down the whole tube but also filter down through the holes on the plants all the way from the top. And since itā€™s in the middle, by the time the CO2 floats down four or five or six feet or whatever, it will spread enough that you would have much more even dispersion than a fan behind an exit hole. Is this a dumb idea? Thinking out loud.

If you need to adjust your ph, why not just spend like $20 on the Zon and grab a bottle of Ph up and Ph down? Itā€™s way easy, way consistent, way dependable, and way cheap. No downside. No ethanol propyl. No stress. Lmao.

Sounds like youā€™ve figured out the watering thing.

Sounds like youā€™re managing your stress level. Again, lol. I laugh cuz itā€™s such a reality. The more you have going on the more stress there is.

Good stuff.
First off thanks so much nice stuff there!

I experimented eith the diffusion stuff loads first tine around. Chopped up fishing rods and speculated on blow up and release pipes (greenhouse build maybe maybe - fk forgot that until running through stuff I considered! Cheers dude. Insta karma!) Also tried an air stone like the type you use in a fish tank.

I found the main thing was getting the reg right.

Then I had just two plants so just dropped it straight in out the pipe and got results.

I saw a guys youtube video in diffusing the stuff (there is very little out there on this stuff) and he used a standard pipe behind a swing fan. I thought ā€œamateurā€. Nah reckon its perfect and Iā€™ll be doing that.

For an L Shaped flower room like mine - some people seen it already bit will put here when they move think its ideal.

For the 4x8 veg room think its also the right way to go. They want more eater on Co2. Same like your canopy you want it as close as possible all around.

For 18x5m I think Iā€™ll be doing something slightly different. šŸ˜…

But Nickā€™s new first new NHR rule:

Worried about anything with your plants?

Dial everything down to the lowest known happy value in veg. Lights, EC and PPM in that order. (Even in flower go veg levels apart from temp and Rh) Wait 24-36 hours. Don't stress. (This helps you sleep) Only then react. Youā€™ll have the info to better react and not make a small problem worse.

Just feel like thatā€™s a basic to approach things. For a new grower its the most important thing Iā€™ve learned. For the master growers out there sorry you know this, for anyone new? Yeah that.

Nick

@Bill284 your love for the above post means loads. Its right, right? Donā€™t panic, roll back everything to simple and safe, right?

If I condense the last few months of experience to a few words it would be that.
Here is the thing if you have too many variables going on you chase your tail in a crisis.
If you run the basics well you can upgrade and adjust.
But if you are throwing the kitchen sink at your garden your not going to have control.
My preference is to grow big healthy roots.
Then I can do what ever I want after that.
I'd concentrate on getting the roots system alive and munching away.
Then pound all the co2 and ppms you want into them.
But yeah get control then let it fly. :thumb:
Your a freeken wild man. :love:

#Vivosun #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Haha - that is unfair! I lost one by dog and I have a new one ready to go. But need to wait 12 hours for photos. Little girl with a cold distracted me and the Grow Manager.

First off thanks so much nice stuff there!

I experimented eith the diffusion stuff loads first tine around. Chopped up fishing rods and speculated on blow up and release pipes (greenhouse build maybe maybe - fk forgot that until running through stuff I considered! Cheers dude. Insta karma!) Also tried an air stone like the type you use in a fish tank.

I found the main thing was getting the reg right.

Then I had just two plants so just dropped it straight in out the pipe and got results.

I saw a guys youtube video in diffusing the stuff (there is very little out there on this stuff) and he used a standard pipe behind a swing fan. I thought ā€œamateurā€. Nah reckon its perfect and Iā€™ll be doing that.

For an L Shaped flower room like mine - some people seen it already bit will put here when they move think its ideal.

For the 4x8 veg room think its also the right way to go. They want more eater on Co2. Same like your canopy you want it as close as possible all around.

For 18x5m I think Iā€™ll be doing something slightly different. šŸ˜…

But Nickā€™s new first new NHR rule:

Worried about anything with your plants?

Dial everything down to the lowest known happy value in veg. Lights, EC and PPM in that order. (Even in flower go veg levels apart from temp and Rh) Wait 24-36 hours. Don't stress. (This helps you sleep) Only then react. Youā€™ll have the info to better react and not make a small problem worse.

Just feel like thatā€™s a basic to approach things. For a new grower its the most important thing Iā€™ve learned. For the master growers out there sorry you know this, for anyone new? Yeah that.

Nick
Thanks. I understand about the CO2 diffusion. Wow, youā€™ve tried a bunch of stuff. I hadnā€™t yet grasped that you had an L shaped grow room. Donā€™t know how I missed that. But yeah, in that case maybe a fan is the best way, long as you push it hard enough to get to the other end. Kudos man. You do your research donā€™t you?

Love the Worried About Your Plants Rule. Youā€™d think it would be so obvious but I know from experience that itā€™s not. The course of action you describe is exactly what I do (or what I would do if I ever had an issueā€¦heh), but itā€™s learned behavior. Itā€™s great advice for new growers.

Stress management as it relates to growing is real. Maybe not for everyone, but for many. Myself included. I get it.

:thumb:

Sjoe Nick your journal is picking up pace and I've missed a lot I see. I take it you are busy dialing in your variables... that seems to be the conversation? I'm impressed.

Yep just and my commercial farmer mate over and learned so much. Heā€™s been growing 100ā€™s kilos a year for decades.

ā€œNick - you over watered them, attracted by the Co2 reaction, dialled everything back to check, you have slightly different fert to last time as well. You did good ladā€

Weā€™re the same age šŸ˜…

But TF he came today. I harvested the Bruce Banners in a hurry seeing a little mould.

We pulled them all out. Maybe 30% have mould. Total loss of throw away - probably 30g. B Grade - think Iā€™ll make RSO maybe 200g A- Grade probably 250g.

Its sticky and great looking but trim time all the rest of the day.

The two plants went we think just over half a kilo when weā€™re done. Gutted about the mould loss but wasnā€™t looking hard enough, often enough. I learned something else and yeah may as well make some RSO with the B Grade - thatā€™s going to need lots of small fingers trimming it out. Frame a throwaway bit to remind me never to let that happen again!

Hereā€™s some pics:

Yep just and my commercial farmer mate over and learned so much. Heā€™s been growing 100ā€™s kilos a year for decades.

ā€œNick - you over watered them, attracted by the Co2 reaction, dialled everything back to check, you have slightly different fert to last time as well. You did good ladā€

Weā€™re the same age šŸ˜…

But TF he came today. I harvested the Bruce Banners in a hurry seeing a little mould.

We pulled them all out. Maybe 30% have mould. Total loss of throw away - probably 30g. B Grade - think Iā€™ll make RSO maybe 200g A- Grade probably 250g.

Its sticky and great looking but trim time all the rest of the day.

The two plants went we think just over half a kilo when weā€™re done. Gutted about the mould loss but wasnā€™t looking hard enough, often enough. I learned something else and yeah may as well make some RSO with the B Grade - thatā€™s going to need lots of small fingers trimming it out. Frame a throwaway bit to remind me never to let that happen again!

Hereā€™s some pics:

Bummer about the mold bro, it makes me wonder with all the different pests and fungus n such how this plant ever evolved in the wild? CLšŸ€

Human manipulation to breed thick dense nugs and no seeds to smoke. All a normal plant wants to do is grow, procreate and spread seeds so its offspring might flourish.

I should have harvested sooner. What I thought was light burn was dying plant. Temp/Rh perfect but the buds too big and dense and dying in its natural cycle. Should have harvested that day. But I misread it as light burn.

I learned I need to be pulling apart the buds from week seven if 9 weeks are generally recommended. A week less for tropical, a week less for Co2 boost.

I am just so super happy. ā€œB Gradeā€ nearly trimmed. Cut to nugs. Any mould cut out. Then soft bristled tooth brush over those bits. Then leaf trim. Then final inspection by my Trim Operations Director (OK she doubles up as my wife šŸ˜…) before it goes in the box for a last dry and cure.

4 people 3 hours. They still have the A Minus grade which is much bigger weight to go.

I see trim jail before my eyes!

But its amazing. Seriously over a Lb, over half a kilo from just two plants on a first grow after a bit of mould thrown away. I feel like we did OK!

But fk! Trimming 20 plants in 8 weeks. OMG.

Human manipulation to breed thick dense nugs and no seeds to smoke. All a normal plant wants to do is grow, procreate and spread seeds so its offspring might flourish.

I should have harvested sooner. What I thought was light burn was dying plant. Temp/Rh perfect but the buds too big and dense and dying in its natural cycle. Should have harvested that day. But I misread it as light burn.

I learned I need to be pulling apart the buds from week seven if 9 weeks are generally recommended. A week less for tropical, a week less for Co2 boost.

I am just so super happy. ā€œB Gradeā€ nearly trimmed. Cut to nugs. Any mould cut out. Then soft bristled tooth brush over those bits. Then leaf trim. Then final inspection by my Trim Operations Director (OK she doubles up as my wife šŸ˜…) before it goes in the box for a last dry and cure.

4 people 3 hours. They still have the A Minus grade which is much bigger weight to go.

But its amazing. Seriously over a Lb, over half a kilo from just two plants on a first grow after a bit of mould thrown away. I feel like we did OK!

Good morning Farmer Hardy :) Sounds like you guys are busy that side!

On the main grow - when trim is done and everyone is recovered tomorrow. The plants most importantlyā€¦

My flower room was doubling as a dry room. Tomorrow repotting to the final airpots - need to get rid of some volcanic rocks I stupidly added in - if it ainā€™t broke donā€™t try anything new - plus the flower room has AC which I miss downstairs as the standalone is a week out.

Busy weekend of work but Har-vest!

@Carmen Ray never a truer word spoken!

Sounds like you guys are busy that side!

I have a pic maybe OK to post of the trim product line. Let me check šŸ˜‚
Nick

Trim product line. Banked 100g B Grade already. Plus whatā€™s left in that picture. A Grade about double weight B Grade.

Mental. Crazy. Happy.

We grew. We harvested.

But wow trim is a pain (even just watching šŸ˜…)

Oh took the first 100g trimmed up to the drying room - found a 50cm A- Grade branch on the floor Iā€™d dropped (its dark) šŸ˜…

Zoap Level 0
NST Level 0

Happy - off the charts!

Ok? Bro you did fantastic! Congratulations on awesome harvest my friend. šŸ‘ CLšŸ€

Back
Top Bottom