Noobymacdooby's 2nd Grow - Cheese & Local Genetics - All The Gear But No Idea

Yeah I cooked it on my stoep! I've been following Sun Valley and his soil mixes seeing as it's locally available products. The wife is keen to get into some serious organic farming so I'l be helping out and using feeds from there.

I'm sure you know of freedom farms on your side of town. Tried some of their soil, pretty strong stuff but did the job after i added some coco and perlite.

The bottled nutes we have seem to do the job but are pricey in the long run. Be great if I can make my own food. For the hydro stuff though I'l have to stick to nutes. I see Canna products will be available locally in march next year. Might need to sell a kidney to afford them though.

Yeah I cooked it on my stoep! I've been following Sun Valley and his soil mixes seeing as it's locally available products. The wife is keen to get into some serious organic farming so I'l be helping out and using feeds from there.

I'm sure you know of freedom farms on your side of town. Tried some of their soil, pretty strong stuff but did the job after i added some coco and perlite.

The bottled nutes we have seem to do the job but are pricey in the long run. Be great if I can make my own food. For the hydro stuff though I'l have to stick to nutes. I see Canna products will be available locally in march next year. Might need to sell a kidney to afford them though.
Well if you following Sun you on the right track. Getting the ph buffer must be tricky, I'll leave that for the pros for now.
You can also try Jamie Garden shop, his soil I believe is more specific and haven't tried it myself as yet.

Well I got one of those garden ph probes and I use that to check the soil. Not very pro like but it's something. Most of the time my soil comes out at 6.5 to 7. The compost I get is made by a local guy who is super nerdy about it so it's ph'd. But its the quick and hot made type so you can't keep it for too long.
The compost being hot is not so much my concern as the actual mix being hot. Most time when you mix those components together you need to have it sit for a few weeks to a month before usage. I could be wrong on your specific mix, Sun will be able to confirm that. Those probes are also not the greatest so I would suggest those water test kits you get to check your pool water would be fine to check what's going in.

Really loving the set up! I'm gunna roll one and follow what your up to if you don't mind?

Purple og sound good?

:blunt:

Nice work so far! Not sure about those leaves, I would guess ya ph or some kind of lockout

The compost being hot is not so much my concern as the actual mix being hot. Most time when you mix those components together you need to have it sit for a few weeks to a month before usage. I could be wrong on your specific mix, Sun will be able to confirm that. Those probes are also not the greatest so I would suggest those water test kits you get to check your pool water would be fine to check what's going in.

Oh, didnt know it had to stand for so long. Mine only went 2 weeks. And I have one of those testing kits too, going to buy a ph probe next.

Really loving the set up! I'm gunna roll one and follow what your up to if you don't mind?

Purple og sound good?

:blunt:

Nice work so far! Not sure about those leaves, I would guess ya ph or some kind of lockout

Welcome aboard and Purple OG sounds delicious! Sadly I'm on the cheap bag stuff until I start growing my own decent crop. Got one little bud left from the previous grow to enjoy stil.

And for the leaves, I had thought about ph or nutrient lock but the curling is on the soil plants and the DWC - both are running different feeds and ph. Unless I'm such a nooby I'm messing them both up.
I've moved one of my fans so that instead of pointing down at the plants its hitting them from the side, hopefully that will help.

I went through my notes from the previous grow run, had the same issue pop up on the DWC plants but they corrected themselves...or I fixed it can't figure out which one though

Do you have a jewelers loup or anything for thrichrome inspection? Track those mites down

Do you have a jewelers loup or anything for thrichrome inspection? Track those mites down

Yes I do, not a very strong one but I have been scoping some leaves. So far they seem to be gone for the most part but I'm going to continue spraying them with Neem oil.

Some further messing around with my lights seem to indicate that it's adding to the problem. Placed further away the cupping resides some what but never fully goes away. Further away though and the plants start stretching quite a bit. Trying to find a happy medium now

Yes I do, not a very strong one but I have been scoping some leaves. So far they seem to be gone for the most part but I'm going to continue spraying them with Neem oil.

Some further messing around with my lights seem to indicate that it's adding to the problem. Placed further away the cupping resides some what but never fully goes away. Further away though and the plants start stretching quite a bit. Trying to find a happy medium now
Yea the leaf curl could be the plant trying to protect its self from light for sure. I recently just started growing with cobs too and am having a hard time finding that goldilocks zone :S cobs are just so powerful, and that sweet spot is so small!

Keep playing with it! Let us know how it turns out! .

Yea the leaf curl could be the plant trying to protect its self from light for sure. I recently just started growing with cobs too and am having a hard time finding that goldilocks zone :S cobs are just so powerful, and that sweet spot is so small!

Keep playing with it! Let us know how it turns out! .

Yeah is quite tricky and I have double the amount of light for this grow. Luckily I have space for tall plants if needed.

Some updates:

P10405801.JPG

them mystery genetics:
P10405781.JPG

Cheese:
P1040570.JPG

Keibrid:
P1040569.JPG

DWC:
P1040571.JPG

getting some oxygen in the water with some sweet potato FPJ:
P1040566.JPG

Mate you've got a lovely space going on there!

good luck with the most fun hobby you will ever have lol :)

me i use coco/perlite 60/40 - i like to use inert grow material so i am in total charge of what they have, i know exactly what nutrients they have available :)

good idea to try keep grow space as clean as possible - i don't even wear outdoor shoes in there ;)

Thanks, I do foresee myself getting sucked up in this! My 1st few plants I started off with just coco / perlite and some bottled nutes but here in South Africa the products are very limited and pricey so I've moved to super soil with added nutes. The soil additives work out much cheaper than the bottled stuff. Now it's just a learning curve of building good soil.

And as for the cleanliness, I have to walk through a lush garden to get to my room so pest control will always be a thing. I'm still contemplating a neem oil body rubdown to try fix that, just tend to my plants in the nude...but somewhat oily

Some updates

Found out that 5 of the plants are the watered down Swazi that comes out of Swaziland now. Pretty happy about that as it will be a different smoke to the Kei ones.

P10405811.JPG

Cheese is chugging along, still bit of leaf curl though:

P1040584.JPG

The female keibrid is also vegging along:

P1040583.JPG

And I have what appears to be a calmag issue on my DWC - but I dont have a calmag supplement and it doesn't seem like you can get any here that can be used in hydro. Added some epsom salts, hope I dont mess it up more:

P1040587.JPG

Back
Top Bottom