Old 70-80's Variety Seeds Grow

Spark

420 Member
Hello all, I have 100's seeds that I have collected since the 70's. Columbian Gold/Red, Panama, Afghan Monkey Paw, Sinsi, some marked, most not, although all were fantastic to get in the save bank :) . I want to grow them. I read about the seeds from Oldr that were 42 years old, so this gives me some hope. The Monkey Paw was last grown in the early 80's, and was killer, some of the best I ever.. In the early 90's, I tried the old classics, got 5 plants to grow, but I forgot to water them one day, called back to the wife, told her to water them for me, ooops, she grabbed the concentrate jug, they all perished, burned em. I tried a couple years back, nothing germinated. So now, I want to try again, I will appreciate all the input I can get to make them grow.

If you can get them to sprout they will grow just as well as modern day seeds. From what I have read they won't
be as potent as todays pot. Improved genetics over the past few decades has resulted in a plants that produce a
much higher percentage of THC.

Hello all, I have 100's seeds that I have collected since the 70's. Columbian Gold/Red, Panama, Afghan Monkey Paw, Sinsi, some marked, most not, although all were fantastic to get in the save bank :) . I want to grow them. I read about the seeds from Oldr that were 42 years old, so this gives me some hope. The Monkey Paw was last grown in the early 80's, and was killer, some of the best I ever.. In the early 90's, I tried the old classics, got 5 plants to grow, but I forgot to water them one day, called back to the wife, told her to water them for me, ooops, she grabbed the concentrate jug, they all perished, burned em. I tried a couple years back, nothing germinated. So now, I want to try again, I will appreciate all the input I can get to make them grow.
Any luck with these seeds?

Anything is possible. I've had pretty decent luck with old beans. I prefer wet paper towel method, tucked in a warm spot.
Try the old matchbox trick, stick a little piece of fine grit sand paper in it and scuff up the seeds. Drop them in a 1% h202 solution and 🤞

good luck!! man i’d love to get my hands on seeds like that. very cool

He's gone unfortunately, this thread is ten years old.

No. I tried several methods, none have worked. I am not sure if they are just too old or there is a local mold in the area that kills them before they start. I did see one of the Monkey Paw seeds crack open, and looked like a start of a growth, but no, it just stayed that way till it rotted. Without a lab condition, I do not think they are going to ever grow again. Hoped some here would have some ideas, (responses 10 years later lol ) but they are all the same ole methods, and don't work for this old of seeds. For Sale 100's of old 70's and 80's popular weed strain seeds. Make offer.. lol. The weed strains of today just don't cut it.

If you can get them to sprout they will grow just as well as modern day seeds. From what I have read they won't
be as potent as todays pot. Improved genetics over the past few decades has resulted in a plants that produce a
much higher percentage of THC.
Some time you just want to sip a wine, not guzzle whiskey. I do not care a less about the GD THC content everyone is chasing, try growing pot that taste like POT ! Almost every strain today taste the same, harsh chlorophyll ladened uncured soaked in THC, rush grown immature weed. Home grown tasting, like we used to say. Ya, ya some are going Duuuude... blah blah... shut up. Weed from the 60's 70's, 80's was the best tasting, period, unless you get some 120 an 1/8 top shelf... ya ya.... Give me Columbian Gold/Red, Panama Red, Afghani, Thai... tasted the best.

No. I tried several methods, none have worked. I am not sure if they are just too old or there is a local mold in the area that kills them before they start. I did see one of the Monkey Paw seeds crack open, and looked like a start of a growth, but no, it just stayed that way till it rotted. Without a lab condition, I do not think they are going to ever grow again. Hoped some here would have some ideas, (responses 10 years later lol ) but they are all the same ole methods, and don't work for this old of seeds. For Sale 100's of old 70's and 80's popular weed strain seeds. Make offer.. lol. The weed strains of today just don't cut it.

You haven't logged in for ten years. Welcome back!!

I'd be keen to buy if some popped, it's a damn shame.

I'll give them a home and try my best to germinate them! lol.... I believe in preserving old landraces.... I agree 60's 70's, 80's and 90's cannabis was potent but in a different way and that's because cannabis back then had a more full spectrum type high with cannabinoids like THC, CBD, CBG etc that were in better natural ratios then todays jacked up high THC hybrid cultivars.. This is the reason why highs use to last for hours back then instead of an hour or two you usually get from most hybrids these days. Also most older cultivars have been grown for multiple generations where as most cultivars sold now are F1 hybrids you rarely see a cultivar bred past an f3 in the market. Now don't get me wrong there are some breeders out there breeding cultivars pass an f5 but not many.

How much?

Do you have just monkey paw seeds or do you have other old school seeds you want to sell to?

Fold up a paper towel, wet it to the point of dampness with reverse osmosis water (or distilled), put the seeds inside of the last fold, put the paper towel in an open ziplok bag, and set the bag somewhere warm until they open (75-78 degrees). Plant them after the tap root gets 3/8" to 1/2" long if you get lucky. I just germinated three 12 year old seeds that way, and they're all above the soil and growing.
If you remember any of those seeds being a pot called Redbud, I wouldn't mind having some of 'em. :thumb:

Fold up a paper towel, wet it to the point of dampness with reverse osmosis water (or distilled), put the seeds inside of the last fold, put the paper towel in an open ziplok bag, and set the bag somewhere warm until they open (75-78 degrees). Plant them after the tap root gets 3/8" to 1/2" long if you get lucky. I just germinated three 12 year old seeds that way, and they're all above the soil and growing.
If you remember any of those seeds being a pot called Redbud, I wouldn't mind having some of 'em. :thumb:
Don’t forget to put them in a dark place. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom