Hello fellow gardeners,

I am toying with the idea of popping seeds directly in soil. It's how I used to do it until I got soft and moved to paper towel šŸ˜…

I grow organic, and there is a strong argument for promoting optimal microbial activity from day 1 by planting direct. However, I don't know if that is going to yield better results come harvest.

What I'd like to do is an anecdotal comparison of plant size and quality between those auto growers who plant direct, and those who use paper towel or other starter methods.

This should be restricted to organic only grows please. It is usual in my experience, for synthetic grows to yield bigger plants in general.

Perhaps you could answer with your germination method and typical yield off an organic auto, and show pics of your big ones, please and thank you.

:passitleft:

I start autos in final pots. Living organic soil, 20 gallon pots with great results.

Orange cookies Auto, Seeds from site sponsor @North Atlantic Seed Co . Breeder Taste Budz. Yielded approximately
5 - 6 ounces per plant indoors.

1718595012859.jpeg

I float in 5:1 water:h2o2 for 36-48 hours then straight into soil.
For me the paper towel adds things I donā€™t need in my grow- Human error (like breaking off the root or letting it grow through the paper towel) and unnecessary bacteria, along with starting at +1 or 2 days. Those days matter in my grows. Iā€™m already having ā€œproblemsā€ šŸ˜‚ with all my autos showing sex at 18-22 days. Itā€™s caused me to change some things (topping at first sign of pistils) and appreciate the 1-2 days I donā€™t lose in the paper towel.
I have only recently switched to starting autos in solo cups and up-potting early, it doesnā€™t seem to cause them to miss any steps, makes them easier to rotate and water early on as well. I donā€™t feed them anything but water and superthrive (a few drops in a gallon) until they are about 2 weeks old. Plenty in most soil (not coco) like Happy Frog/FFoF to get a seedling going.

Lots of auto trial and error in my main journal. Iā€™m always experimenting with them trying to find the best or at least a better way.
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_4528.jpeg

I personally start directly in soil. 16 oz pots to 7 gallon pots every time. The trick is to not over water and to keep the pots warm on a heating mat. I also treat the soil with beneficial nematodes a couples of days before planting.

Back
Top Bottom