PCaddict's Second Grow Featuring Budget LED, Growing Amnesia Fast & Sweet Tooth

I no its all part of the game shit happens to mine rite here in my backyard lol yours are fending for themselves its all by chance but im still not happy about losing a few so when you go back to check on those will you take a few starts to go in those spots.

I used to do the outdoor / guerrilla grow thing, but live in town now and the neighbor's would notice, so I'd have to worry about one of them calling LEO in addition to the stress over dealing with rippers (again, in town where my actions might be noticed ;) ).. As for going somewhere else, it would have to be within reasonable walking distance, and there's less and less public / government land around every year, it seems. I don't think I'd ever grow on someone else's private land. But there is one old right-of-way that was (more or less) a road, was never converted to private ownership when the road went away, and has since reverted to woods that I have been thinking about. I meant to wander all through it last year, to make sure that no one else is gardening in it, that it's not crisscrossed with walking paths, that teenagers haven't been using it to knock boots, etc., but never got around to it. It's relatively low-lying, and some spots might be close to our water table, and I would probably salt the hole with Osmocote Plus ( <SHRUGS> ). I might give it a shot, if I can get any of my (rapidly dwindling) autoflower seeds to sprout, or decide to produce some indica(ish) clones. Our growing season is far too short for a decent sativa crop, unfortunately.

Wayne National Forest is close by yes.

I spent "some" time in that, back in my younger days! Even got caught by a forestry agent one time, carrying out a portion of my harvest, lol. Guy told me that, if I hadn't been growing like I had some sense, he'd have nailed me a while back. Then he pulled out a joint, and fired it up. Things were simpler back then.

You and one or two of my relatives might even be neighbors. If that whole "government thing" didn't require pseudo-anonymity, and the forum guidelines didn't forbid such discussions, I might ask you what the nearest town to you is. As it is, though, well...

And all 7 left on their own? No help

Lol. I once took out a number of turkeys in that general area, sliding around a curve on a gravel road on the last stage of my drive home. And, later, nearly did the same to a county patrolman, LMAO. But he was okay, and after he finished yelling at me, we were able to get his cruiser back onto the road. I slowed down (on that road) after that.

Looking back, maybe I should have let the (ex-)wife drive more often when we were together in the same vehicle. But... I wasn't the one who'd had the license suspended ;) . Crazy world, huh?

We have reservations for next weekend down there. Doesn't look like that's going to happen. Virus bs

:hmmmm:... <SIGH>

were starting to lift restrictions, were aloud outside gatherings up to 50 people, and at home, we’re aloud 15 people. Still can’t share food though. Is it too early? We will soon find out!

I don't know if it's a question of "too early," or whether that kind of thing did any real long-term good at all (other than give the healthcare industry a chance to ramp up production of protective supplies and the healthcare workers to "prepare for a busy time ahead." Which is not, in and of itself, inconsequential, I suppose.).

Seems to me that the correct thing to do would have been, back in late February when the information had reached both the federal and state elected officials that this thing was (a) turning out to be an actual pandemic and (b) absolutely, positively, here in North America, that we should have shut the place down, (country) border to border. Not a patchwork of one state declaring a "shelter in place" emergency situation, another state not but announcing that staying home for a while would "probably be a good idea," and the governor of another state or two merely sticking their head up their own ass to look for inspiration (I'm thinking specifically of South Dakota, but there have been others who made bad decisions, if only by not making any at all). AND, after so declaring a border-to-border shutdown, enforcing it as harshly as they do in riot situations when looters come out. F*ck, during those times, it's just property that they're so concerned about, while now... It hasn't made sense to me why people who defy stay-at-home orders most often only receive... a lecture. Anyway, instead of spending literal trillions of dollars to get some f*cktard reelected and pass out "free" money (which, of course, isn't) to everyone whether they needed it or not, whether it happened to be enough or not... Instead, use some fraction of that to make bulk purchases of food from farmers - who largely ended up having to dispose of their crops, FFS! - and distribute it to those who needed the stuff to survive. Use some fraction of that money to cover basic utilities (IOW, water, electric, etc. - f*ck cable television, Internet access, etc., this isn't just a rainy day situation), to cover the minimum necessary for those who are still paying on their houses or paying rent (again, for those who need it). And so on. If a business was/is in danger of going under (due to the pandemic, not in general), see about covering the bare minimum expenses to keep it in existence. Not give them a big loan and require them to use a high percentage of it to cover the salaries of workers who can't actually go to work and do anything, anyway, that seems kind of stupid. If you're already ensuring that people are getting at least the bare minimum food/nutrition, that they're not in danger of becoming homeless, won't have to fetch water from the nearest river/creek... Then you don't need to worry about paychecks so much, yeah? Every (adult) person in this country - and every other country - should have been thinking in terms of "war mentality." Times are tough, get with the f*cking program, already. And what's up with this "add $600/week to everyone's unemployment check" garbage?!? They don't do that any other time - and people, right now, ought to be a whole lot less worried about buying the latest iCrap or even whether they can afford to trade their 20-year old car for a 10-year old one. FFS, I haven't even been able to afford to own an automobile since 2008, and guess what? I... am... still... here!!!!!!!!!! Like Pop used to say, "It aint crowded, walking." It's not always pleasant, either, lol. Lumping a 25-pound heavy paper sack of generic cat litter home from the store on your shoulder in a pounding thunderstorm, hoping you make it through your doorway before the sack lets go and you lose it. Trying to make it home in August with your (once-)frozen food whilst dragging your bum leg. Et cetera. <SHRUGS> But, surprise, it's doable! You do what you can, what you must - and get by. That attitude once made my country great, even one that got referred to as a "superpower." In recent years, in many ways, the lack of same has made it a laughingstock.

I'm guessing that, down in Mississippi, folks are looking at that extra $600/week added to their unemployment checks as money magically falling from heaven :rolleyes: . After all, the NORMAL maximum a person there can receive each week is a whopping... $235. Y'all think all this "free" money isn't going to screw up both local economies and the country's economy in general in many more ways than just saddling us AND our progeny with an extreme tax burden? Just watch... FFS, some (of the relative few) businesses whose owners have been told they can reopen (or that they will be able to soon) are discovering that their laid-off employees don't WANT to return to work, because in many cases (perhaps most cases?), the normal half-salary, with $600/week added to it... ends up being more than they were earning when they were working 40 hours per week! And if THAT doesn't tell folks that this sh!t is all screwed up, IDFK what would.

But what do I know? I'm not an economist - and I am, for sure, not a f*cking politician. Who knows, maybe, if I was King Stupid, I would have encouraged the same foolishness. I might have even demanded that my name appear on each and every one of those $1,200 checks - and got it - just like he did, so that a far few of the mouth-breathing, late-night AM radio-listening, FOX news-watching, "Gee, can someone do my thinking for me, because it's hard" population would end up believing that he had a lot to do with it... and reelect the douche bag.

No... No, I wouldn't have. [/RANT]

Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh, yeah, the patchwork shutdowns. I don't know that it has really been all that beneficial. Sure, more people are alive - right now - than would otherwise have been the case (but fewer than if we had done things "my way"). But that has merely slowed the progress of this virus. It hasn't stopped it. It's killing people... But some people, it just sickens. Others, have gotten / have got it and don't even know it! But they sure are contagious. Right now, that particular issue is somewhat minimized, because so much is shut down, so many people are "in seclusion," to one degree or other. However, as business reopen, lots of people return to work, go back to dining in restaurants, go back to parks and beaches, go back to... wherever it is that people end up going when they can stand the company of other people, lol... Well, what exactly do you think is going to happen when some of those asymptomatic, but contagious, people... are your coworkers? The guy seated at the table several feet away (but in the same enclosed space)? That hot chick in the bikini who, after accidentally bumping you as she walked across the sand on her way to jump into the ocean, stopped, turned back, looked you in the eye, smiled, and said, "I'm sorry. It's such a nice day, and we've been stuck at home. I was in a hurry to go for a swim. You take care, now." Et cetera.

This virus needs a host. Its longevity, lacking a host organism, appears to be relatively short. Had we forced nearly everyone to confine themselves as late as March 1, looked to our armed forces to help collect and distribute food, allowed only those whose jobs are (a) absolutely critical and (b) impossible for a layman to do, to leave their home... Then NOW, 75+ days later, the viability of this virus would be far less than is currently the case. We might have lost some of our military. Probably would have, if they ended up having to do something "unprotected." But - and this might seem somewhat harsh of an attitude to some, but... - people join the military service out of a desire and duty to help protect the country and the citizenry. And, I suppose, a paycheck if they're disadvantaged, live in Bumf*ck, USA and don't have sense enough to move to where the jobs are, or are particularly slow upstairs. But you'll have that, I guess. Mostly, it's out of a sense of duty. Well, duty calls, from time to time. This time... Well, it must have been felt that this strategy wouldn't have been as likely to get votes, I guess. IDK. Also, by - severely - limiting the number of people who ended up being potentially exposed, we'd probably have gone through significantly less gloves/masks/etc.

I have no doubt that some percentage of the "FREEDOM!!! FREEDOM AT ANY COST!!!" sect would have gone apesh!t over my ideas. <SHRUGS YET AGAIN> So what, lofl? I happen to be with them, in a lot of ways. But I do have a (semi-)functioning brain. And my brain just told me that it's up there and waiting to be used that, with freedom comes responsibility. This country was founded on, among other things, the concept of personal freedom. Nonetheless, that brain of mine thinks that our founding fathers would have gone after those nuts with a f*cking axe. What really p!sses me off about them is that, whenever something happens to jostle the bubble that each one of them appears to exist in, they are always the first, the loudest, and the most obnoxious when it comes to complaining and bellyaching that "the gubment shoulda done sumthin!!!" Whereas, the people who actually live by the ideals that the whack-jobs claim to support just end up doing what needs to be done, quietly and with little fanfare, with as little friction as is possible.

Oh, to have my own army, air force, marines, and an unlimited supply of ammo/munitions... (Sorry, Navy, but the army rivercraft would serve all my needs in the "water" area - but you'd be welcome to crew the spaceships that I'd have out there within the next 25 years, to transport the marines who'd be the front line soldiers in space, supply medical corpsmen to same, to transport the army units who'd be expected to hold whatever lands/planets/moons/asteroids/etc. that the marines took, to transport the air force to any heavenly bodies that had an atmosphere, to handle the ship-to-ship combat in space, and so on - so you wouldn't be ignored/forgotten! And there'd be funds to finance that, because I wouldn't have encouraged the disorganized distribution of trillions to help people a little bit while buying their votes.)

I sent Sara a PM about it. I hope I can get it fixed or replaced

Any word on that? I have one of that company's tents, the one meter square one (called a 3'x3' by the company, I think). I've never been clear on how long, exactly, the warranty period is on their grow tents, what it covered in regard to wear and tear, and whether warranty service would require sending it all the way back to China or merely to the nearest warehouse facility. I assume the warranty on mine has already expired, as I bought it over a year ago, but that's just a guess. I hope mine arrived in perfect condition, lol, because I haven't actually gotten around to using it, yet. That will happen with my next cannabis grow, though, sometime this year. Assuming it's in good condition, all the parts that comprise it were in the box, the %#^*ing mice haven't eaten most of it while it has been in storage, etc. Those little monsters will eat just about anything that they can chew (which is... just about everything), so I am a little concerned about that.

What happened to your tent's zipper, anyway? Did it pull loose from the tent material? The "overflap" (whatever it's called) get caught in it, or maybe some threads come unraveled and jam it? Or...? Anything in particular that we should watch out for with our tents?

get your revenge at hunting season... ;)

Or sooner, if you are the property owner. Or, I suppose, are a real good shot and feel that it's worth the risk. My maternal grandfather used a single-shot .22LR to take every deer (etc.) that he ever shot, because he was poor and it was the only gun he ever owned. They are quiet enough that most folks probably assume a single .22LR "bang" is a firecracker. My next door neighbors' house is real close beside mine, yet none of them have ever even asked me what the noise was. Er... Not that I have ever stood in the kitchen doorway and nailed a squirrel or rabbit for supper, heh. I'd never dream of using one to take a deer, even when I was able to see much better, because a good aim (along with some knowledge of a deer) is even more important with the weaker round. But a brain shot will do it, although just penetrating the skull is not an automatic hit on the brain. Severing the spinal cord at the base of the brain will, too. At less than 50 yards or so, a lung shot would probably kill one relatively quickly, but that's not exactly an instant drop. I always preferred to drop one where it stood, if at all possible, to just end the animal instead of causing it some period of pain. Plus, I'm lazy, lol. But, yes, if you know what you're doing and can consistently hit what you're aiming at, it's not a big deal to take one with a .22LR in your backyard, any time the opportunity presents itself, without arousing the neighbors' suspicion (assuming none of them happen to be looking into your backyard, of course).

My buddy killed two deer with his Gamo Whisper air rifle on his own acreage, which was two out of two tries. And every coyote in the area :p, after one killed a neighbor's cat. Some of the latter were at a fair range, too, and they were "drop in place" shots.

You'd best be able to handle the butcher work, yourself, though, if you take a deer out of season, with a .22LR (many regions' governmental agencies forbid the use of those for deer, due to the higher likelihood of merely wounding the animal), and without proper permits, landowner's permission, etc.

They started an archery only hunt within the city limits in an effort to cull the population some, about 5 years ago.

They have those around here. Not every year, maybe every three years or so, on average. The frequency varies according to need. And probably other factors, such as whether the relevant elected official has any sense or is one of those cripple-headed SOBs that think we should allow, maybe even encourage (by giving them free reign to consume our gardens/landscaping at will) overpopulation until most of them end up starving to death during a bad year.

my sister's stand is only 10 minutes from her house...kinda funny for me to have to go to town to hunt, but it's been very productive...some beauty bucks, and my sister has taken most of them.

Back in the late '70s and early '80s when Mom was able and us kids eating sometimes depended on them being able to bring home wild meat, she would go with Dad, and often she scored before he did. Occasionally... she would be the only one of the two who did, lol. Which was funny, because she found it difficult to move quietly in the woods, while Dad... Pop moved like a ghost. I can't really say too much about Mom in that regard, though - Dad once told me that I could make noise walking across a blacktop parking lot (and he was correct :rofl:) .

pulled some cheddar/jalapeno smokies out just a while ago.

I never really liked deer meat. In fact, the only time I found it to be more than tolerable was when the old lady I was working for at the time ( / grandmother of the little hellcat I was hooked up with) brought me a bunch that she had done in her pressure canner with gravy. Not only did eating that not leave me with the usual "how did the roof of my mouth get covered in lard" feeling, it actually tasted... well... a little better than those "ribeye steaks" I have occasionally resorted to buying at DollarTree for a dollar each. And those things make the house smell like DOG when you start frying one up. So tasting better than one, yeah, that's kind of important when I'm trying to decide what to eat (as opposed to... you know... whether to eat - when that happens, it doesn't matter what it looks/smells/tastes like, as long as it's not moving and isn't so covered in mold that there's basically nothing left after scraping it off).

However, your sister's cheddar & jalapeño pepper deer snacks would probably get my vote, although I might use serrano peppers, instead. It's kind of like "put enough mayonnaise on something, and it just tastes like Hellman's," lol - if you make the "other ingredients" the main ingredients, the former main one might not even be noticed.

Er... I'm just rambling. This post might have become a little lengthier than my usual ones. If so... "Sorry about that, chief," ;).

Yea I used osmocote + for years, we would never plant in private property. Only State or Federal land. We new a lot of the landowners and wouldn’t put them through the trouble

On my tent when I zip it, it gets caught and the area I just zipped up comes open all the way to the back side of the zipper. They do NOT have warranties on their tents. Sara said take some pliers and squeezy the zipper together tighter. So Mars does NOT have a warranty on their tents. I also agree with A Lot of what you were saying about this Virus thing

It has been so long since I even looked at a grow tent that I don't remember how their zippers are even attached. If it's stitched on normally, you could probably use a seam ripper (sewing tool) to remove it without damaging the tent. Then you could either order one of those "stick-on" zippers that are marketed to people who build their own "soft-sided" grow spaces or go to a fabric/sewing supply store and purchase a traditional zipper that's made with some sort of fabric on each side. I don't know if you'd easily find one of the appropriate length, though.

That really sucks about Mars Hydro grow tents not having any warranty! I like the company and all... But we need to start making potential grow tent customers aware of the fact that it's an "as-is" purchase with them, methinks. Sort of a public service. I monitor the company thread from time to time, and used to read every post. I have seen lots of people ask about their grow tents - and I do not ever recall having seem the company's forum representative post that purchasers would be on their own, so to speak. I also occasionally see "What is a good grow tent to buy?" threads. I feel bad now for occasionally having suggested this company to the people who created those threads (and everyone who later read them for suggestions).

I wish HOMEbox was a sponsor/advertiser here. They have a 24-month warranty on all of their HOMEbox products (Ambient, Evolution, Vista, and add-ons), and a 12-month warranty on their Homelab ones. Plus, at least some of their grow tents are white inside, for higher light reflectivity.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Mars Hydro tent, have you tried our other sponsors who make the best tent on the market?

It's time. Just put signs up on the social distancing and let people use their own brain and police themselves.
Not the brains I've seen Derby. But yes some folks can be trusted to have been smartly keeping safe. As an old timer I guess I have to beware of them and protect myself from them. Trust isn't my strong suit I guess. Every local is different so it's time to find out what happens next. Hoping for the best!

Not the brains I've seen Derby. But yes some folks can be trusted to have been smartly keeping safe. As an old timer I guess I have to beware of them and protect myself from them. Trust isn't my strong suit I guess. Every local is different so it's time to find out what happens next. Hoping for the best!
Yeah, I feel you Otter , I am in the same boat with all my aliments it would NOT be good if I got it.

It has been so long since I even looked at a grow tent that I don't remember how their zippers are even attached. If it's stitched on normally, you could probably use a seam ripper (sewing tool) to remove it without damaging the tent. Then you could either order one of those "stick-on" zippers that are marketed to people who build their own "soft-sided" grow spaces or go to a fabric/sewing supply store and purchase a traditional zipper that's made with some sort of fabric on each side. I don't know if you'd easily find one of the appropriate length, though.

That really sucks about Mars Hydro grow tents not having any warranty! I like the company and all... But we need to start making potential grow tent customers aware of the fact that it's an "as-is" purchase with them, methinks. Sort of a public service. I monitor the company thread from time to time, and used to read every post. I have seen lots of people ask about their grow tents - and I do not ever recall having seem the company's forum representative post that purchasers would be on their own, so to speak. I also occasionally see "What is a good grow tent to buy?" threads. I feel bad now for occasionally having suggested this company to the people who created those threads (and everyone who later read them for suggestions).

I wish HOMEbox was a sponsor/advertiser here. They have a 24-month warranty on all of their HOMEbox products (Ambient, Evolution, Vista, and add-ons), and a 12-month warranty on their Homelab ones. Plus, at least some of their grow tents are white inside, for higher light reflectivity.
I may have to use a seam ripper on it and get a new zipper that will match the zipper on the tent. Finding one the right size may be a bit of a chore right now. Hobby and Craft stuff is not in stock anywhere near us. I am going to try what Sara recommended and try closing it up a little tighter. There are two zipper latches on the from side so the other zipper that I never used before was fine and it zipped the tent up like it should but the zipper I was using will not shut the tent up at all. I guess it has just spread out too much but that makes me wonder about how long it will last until this zipper is doing the same thing.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Mars Hydro tent, have you tried our other sponsors who make the best tent on the market?
I wish I would have gotten a Gorilla grow tent. I know they are top of the line and when I have to replace this one if I buy another tent it will be a Gorilla Grow tent. Thanks for the suggestion Krip.

I don't know if it's a question of "too early," or whether that kind of thing did any real long-term good at all (other than give the healthcare industry a chance to ramp up production of protective supplies and the healthcare workers to "prepare for a busy time ahead." Which is not, in and of itself, inconsequential, I suppose.).

Seems to me that the correct thing to do would have been, back in late February when the information had reached both the federal and state elected officials that this thing was (a) turning out to be an actual pandemic and (b) absolutely, positively, here in North America, that we should have shut the place down, (country) border to border. Not a patchwork of one state declaring a "shelter in place" emergency situation, another state not but announcing that staying home for a while would "probably be a good idea," and the governor of another state or two merely sticking their head up their own ass to look for inspiration (I'm thinking specifically of South Dakota, but there have been others who made bad decisions, if only by not making any at all). AND, after so declaring a border-to-border shutdown, enforcing it as harshly as they do in riot situations when looters come out. F*ck, during those times, it's just property that they're so concerned about, while now... It hasn't made sense to me why people who defy stay-at-home orders most often only receive... a lecture. Anyway, instead of spending literal trillions of dollars to get some f*cktard reelected and pass out "free" money (which, of course, isn't) to everyone whether they needed it or not, whether it happened to be enough or not... Instead, use some fraction of that to make bulk purchases of food from farmers - who largely ended up having to dispose of their crops, FFS! - and distribute it to those who needed the stuff to survive. Use some fraction of that money to cover basic utilities (IOW, water, electric, etc. - f*ck cable television, Internet access, etc., this isn't just a rainy day situation), to cover the minimum necessary for those who are still paying on their houses or paying rent (again, for those who need it). And so on. If a business was/is in danger of going under (due to the pandemic, not in general), see about covering the bare minimum expenses to keep it in existence. Not give them a big loan and require them to use a high percentage of it to cover the salaries of workers who can't actually go to work and do anything, anyway, that seems kind of stupid. If you're already ensuring that people are getting at least the bare minimum food/nutrition, that they're not in danger of becoming homeless, won't have to fetch water from the nearest river/creek... Then you don't need to worry about paychecks so much, yeah? Every (adult) person in this country - and every other country - should have been thinking in terms of "war mentality." Times are tough, get with the f*cking program, already. And what's up with this "add $600/week to everyone's unemployment check" garbage?!? They don't do that any other time - and people, right now, ought to be a whole lot less worried about buying the latest iCrap or even whether they can afford to trade their 20-year old car for a 10-year old one. FFS, I haven't even been able to afford to own an automobile since 2008, and guess what? I... am... still... here!!!!!!!!!! Like Pop used to say, "It aint crowded, walking." It's not always pleasant, either, lol. Lumping a 25-pound heavy paper sack of generic cat litter home from the store on your shoulder in a pounding thunderstorm, hoping you make it through your doorway before the sack lets go and you lose it. Trying to make it home in August with your (once-)frozen food whilst dragging your bum leg. Et cetera. <SHRUGS> But, surprise, it's doable! You do what you can, what you must - and get by. That attitude once made my country great, even one that got referred to as a "superpower." In recent years, in many ways, the lack of same has made it a laughingstock.

I'm guessing that, down in Mississippi, folks are looking at that extra $600/week added to their unemployment checks as money magically falling from heaven :rolleyes: . After all, the NORMAL maximum a person there can receive each week is a whopping... $235. Y'all think all this "free" money isn't going to screw up both local economies and the country's economy in general in many more ways than just saddling us AND our progeny with an extreme tax burden? Just watch... FFS, some (of the relative few) businesses whose owners have been told they can reopen (or that they will be able to soon) are discovering that their laid-off employees don't WANT to return to work, because in many cases (perhaps most cases?), the normal half-salary, with $600/week added to it... ends up being more than they were earning when they were working 40 hours per week! And if THAT doesn't tell folks that this sh!t is all screwed up, IDFK what would.

But what do I know? I'm not an economist - and I am, for sure, not a f*cking politician. Who knows, maybe, if I was King Stupid, I would have encouraged the same foolishness. I might have even demanded that my name appear on each and every one of those $1,200 checks - and got it - just like he did, so that a far few of the mouth-breathing, late-night AM radio-listening, FOX news-watching, "Gee, can someone do my thinking for me, because it's hard" population would end up believing that he had a lot to do with it... and reelect the douche bag.

No... No, I wouldn't have. [/RANT]

Anyway, what was I talking about? Oh, yeah, the patchwork shutdowns. I don't know that it has really been all that beneficial. Sure, more people are alive - right now - than would otherwise have been the case (but fewer than if we had done things "my way"). But that has merely slowed the progress of this virus. It hasn't stopped it. It's killing people... But some people, it just sickens. Others, have gotten / have got it and don't even know it! But they sure are contagious. Right now, that particular issue is somewhat minimized, because so much is shut down, so many people are "in seclusion," to one degree or other. However, as business reopen, lots of people return to work, go back to dining in restaurants, go back to parks and beaches, go back to... wherever it is that people end up going when they can stand the company of other people, lol... Well, what exactly do you think is going to happen when some of those asymptomatic, but contagious, people... are your coworkers? The guy seated at the table several feet away (but in the same enclosed space)? That hot chick in the bikini who, after accidentally bumping you as she walked across the sand on her way to jump into the ocean, stopped, turned back, looked you in the eye, smiled, and said, "I'm sorry. It's such a nice day, and we've been stuck at home. I was in a hurry to go for a swim. You take care, now." Et cetera.

This virus needs a host. Its longevity, lacking a host organism, appears to be relatively short. Had we forced nearly everyone to confine themselves as late as March 1, looked to our armed forces to help collect and distribute food, allowed only those whose jobs are (a) absolutely critical and (b) impossible for a layman to do, to leave their home... Then NOW, 75+ days later, the viability of this virus would be far less than is currently the case. We might have lost some of our military. Probably would have, if they ended up having to do something "unprotected." But - and this might seem somewhat harsh of an attitude to some, but... - people join the military service out of a desire and duty to help protect the country and the citizenry. And, I suppose, a paycheck if they're disadvantaged, live in Bumf*ck, USA and don't have sense enough to move to where the jobs are, or are particularly slow upstairs. But you'll have that, I guess. Mostly, it's out of a sense of duty. Well, duty calls, from time to time. This time... Well, it must have been felt that this strategy wouldn't have been as likely to get votes, I guess. IDK. Also, by - severely - limiting the number of people who ended up being potentially exposed, we'd probably have gone through significantly less gloves/masks/etc.

I have no doubt that some percentage of the "FREEDOM!!! FREEDOM AT ANY COST!!!" sect would have gone apesh!t over my ideas. <SHRUGS YET AGAIN> So what, lofl? I happen to be with them, in a lot of ways. But I do have a (semi-)functioning brain. And my brain just told me that it's up there and waiting to be used that, with freedom comes responsibility. This country was founded on, among other things, the concept of personal freedom. Nonetheless, that brain of mine thinks that our founding fathers would have gone after those nuts with a f*cking axe. What really p!sses me off about them is that, whenever something happens to jostle the bubble that each one of them appears to exist in, they are always the first, the loudest, and the most obnoxious when it comes to complaining and bellyaching that "the gubment shoulda done sumthin!!!" Whereas, the people who actually live by the ideals that the whack-jobs claim to support just end up doing what needs to be done, quietly and with little fanfare, with as little friction as is possible.

Oh, to have my own army, air force, marines, and an unlimited supply of ammo/munitions... (Sorry, Navy, but the army rivercraft would serve all my needs in the "water" area - but you'd be welcome to crew the spaceships that I'd have out there within the next 25 years, to transport the marines who'd be the front line soldiers in space, supply medical corpsmen to same, to transport the army units who'd be expected to hold whatever lands/planets/moons/asteroids/etc. that the marines took, to transport the air force to any heavenly bodies that had an atmosphere, to handle the ship-to-ship combat in space, and so on - so you wouldn't be ignored/forgotten! And there'd be funds to finance that, because I wouldn't have encouraged the disorganized distribution of trillions to help people a little bit while buying their votes.)
That all makes sense! Absolutely agree to what “should have been done”.

you have to remember something though... I’m Canadian. Different health care systems, different economic values, different everything really. They dropped the ball in the states, when it came to protecting their citizens. I’m not saying Canada did it better by any means, I think the “world” handled this wrong. The borders world wide should have been shut down. China should have reacted smarter and faster to this all. “Shoulda, woulda, coulda though right?”

Now we’re all forced into the predicament we are all in. this is what conspiracy theorists thrive off of. We will never truly know the truth, to “the what if’s”.

All we can do now is see how this pans out, and then our kids will Have to deal with the down fall of the economy.

Its scary when world leaders are making stupid/bad decisions, and “Us” nobody’s to them can see it from a mile away.

I totally agree, BLS. The world should hang its head with how poorly this was handled. I can only hope the worst has past and we learn from this. I fear another wave of cases is only days away with people having a false sense of security with warmer weather and all. It is far too early to begin “life as normal” in my opinion.

I think they are opening back up due to the economy more then because its safe now but who knows what the powers that be are thinking

There's a thought. Well-regarded (albeit expensive, but you'll have that) products, and buying them helps support a business that supports the forum. AND they have a warranty. It's only a year, but... That should be enough to discover any "factory defects," at least. It looks like the specific language states:
Gorilla Grow Tents have a 1-year warranty on craftsmanship. User negligence and normal wear and tear are not covered under warranty.

The part about normal wear and tear not being covered is probably relatively common (for companies that actually offer a warranty in the first place).

I totally agree, BLS. The world should hang its head with how poorly this was handled. I can only hope the worst has past and we learn from this.

It's been my experience that, with most things in life, the worst is rarely ever "past." With this thing, specifically, well... it has already been shown to mutate. That leads to the dual possibilities that (a) people who have had the virus may end up getting a mutated form in the future (although it would be reasonable to hope that they might have... some degree... of resistance to it, like we have some resistance to new flu strains - in other words, it shouldn't mean another new "Cortez brings brand new (to the population) diseases to the Aztecs" situation) and (b) any vaccines developed for COVID-19's current form might not be effective.

By the way, I am somewhat skeptical of the commonly touted "12 to 18 months until a vaccine" projections. The average time for the entire process, start to finish, is 26 years. Some corners could be cut, but that only provides limited reduction in the time it takes, and the more corners one cuts, the more risks one incurs. So those announcements might be more a combination of hope and appeasement/reassurance of the public citizenry than any reflection of science/logic. Government officials might worry that the sheeple will begin f*cking off in fits of hedonism/debauchery, rioting in the streets, etc. The former almost seems to be the new normal anyway (and unrelated to any panic), and the latter has been happening in the whack-job portion of the population, though, so IDK that lying to people is all that productive. But that's just me. In any situation, just giving up seems illogical, so why do it, lol?

I fear another wave of cases is only days away with people having a false sense of security with warmer weather and all. It is far too early to begin “life as normal” in my opinion.

No point in fearing it, that's not going to change anything, so it's a waste of energy (and adds to one's stress level). There has been a false sense of security from day one. As time goes on, it grows, though. Lots of people let - even want - others to do their thinking for them and, in so doing, they refuse to think for themselves, to suspect the motives (and IQ) of those they blindly follow, and fail to question everything as a good reasonable skeptic should. Actually, that false sense of security goes back a lot longer than that... The people in government (and in my country's armed forces - and, one assumes, other countries') who are tasked with worrying about such things have been doing "what if?" thought experiments, wargames, response-generation, et cetera for decades, yet little actual preparation ever seems to get done. I read just the other day on one of those fact-check websites that our Senate Majority leader publicly stated that Obama failed to leave any kind of "pandemic game plan" (and that his nibs' daughter-in-law shouted an, "Amen, brother!" then added, "That's right."). It was, of course, the opposite of "right." There was a 69-page plan-of-action for this specific scenario, presumably still is. There will also be detailed plans in military files for this kind of thing. They have "what to do" plans for every conceivable situation, even the ones that are... of low probability (e.g., Canada declares war on the US and invades, aliens from the Gliese 667 C invades the planet, the Yellowstone Caldera explodes and leaves a multi-state sized crater with the expected global effects/devastation, creatures from our species' ancient belief systems turn out to be real and p!ssed off, etc.). Whatever the situation, it's a safe bet that someone has spent time thinking about it, and thinking about what should be done if/when it comes to pass. The trouble is getting our various political leaders to act in a logical manner. Always has been, to some extent, of course - Homo sapiens being what they are - but that failing has been personified like never before, and at the worst possible time.

Treat every day, I suppose, as if you have small, helpless children depending on you and your actions or inactions could harm them. Think for yourself (which I assume you do, anyway), and do what you can to encourage everyone else do the same. Use the common sense that your god(s), parents, the universe, random chance, etc. gave you. Think in terms of more than just the immediate moment and the self, what you can do for the world / species in general rather than what it can do for you. If enough people start doing all that, then the human race will probably be capable of surviving... most... things, even if some individuals do not. Oh, and encourage your government to put significantly more money into its space program. Because, as long as we are confined to one planet, we are merely one extreme disaster away from extinction. When Kennedy decided to one-up the Soviets back in 1961, and announced to the world that the USA would have people on the moon within a decade... my country's total "humans in space experience" amounted to one person having orbited the earth at just a relative few miles up. Computers that might be capable of guiding a spacecraft to the moon, landing it, and getting it back safely filled buildings, not space capsules. And... the country accomplished the goal. We managed to construct a rocket that might still qualify as the species' most complex machine, ever - and made it work. I don't even know if my country could accomplish that, with the way things are today. Just the combination of physical logistics and political greed makes it impossible - huge components would have to be manufactured, some powerful politicians would demand that they be manufactured in their districts, and HtH do you transport such things through tunnels (etc.)? There is no sense of "Well, we really need to do it, it needs to be done there, so... get to doing it, then." Which is, IMHO, a form of insanity.

Yes, it took a lot of money to accomplish. But not, however, significantly more than has been wasted in the time since. Add in what ended up in people's pockets, well... Had things continued to progress at a reasonable rate, and we would have already left footprints on Mars, might have begun working on reversing the runaway greenhouse effect that has left Venus uninhabitable (portions of it would have had temperature ranges that are compatible with humans instead of, as is currently the case, temperatures across the entire planet's surface that are high enough to turn lead into a puddle, and - unlike Mars - Venus has a decent magnetic field, offering protection from gamma rays / etc.), et cetera. We should have begun manufacturing things at our planet's LaGrange points, largely from resources sourced from the asteroid belt. Should have been on track to send probes into the Oort cloud. And so on. And we would have shared at least the vast majority of this stuff with the rest of the world. It's looking like China will be mining and possibly setting up colonies on at least the moon within the next 20 years or so, and - if things keep going the way they are currently - will end up "owning the solar system." I wonder if they will feel like sharing?

I think they are opening back up due to the economy more then because its safe now but who knows what the powers that be are thinking

That, greed, desire to get reelected and spend another four years transferring as much as possible from the country's "shelves" into their pockets, lack of IQ and refusal to listen to anyone that disagrees with them about anything, etc.

Very well said mate @TorturedSoul , and I may be considered an ar$ehole for saying this (I am in some respects) , in general, the populace are mindless sheep wanting someone else to do their thinking for them so they don’t have to “take blame” for wrong decisions.
Ole Mother Nature ain’t as stupid as most of us and will cull the idiots eventually.

I probably will be shunned after this but, seldom do we as a people (world over) learn as Aesop hinted at in this fable:

The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey
Aesop
A man and his son were once going with their donkey to market. As they were walking along by his side a countryman passed them and said, "You fools, what is a donkey for but to ride upon?" So the man put the boy on the donkey, and they went on their way.
But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said, "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."

So the man ordered his boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other, "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."

Well, the man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his boy up before him on the donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passersby began to jeer and point at them. The man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at.

The men said, "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours -- you and your hulking son?"

The man and boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, until at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them until they came to a bridge, when the donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the donkey fell over the bridge, and his forefeet being tied together, he was drowned.”

Moral of the story:

When you try to please everyone, you are guaranteed to lose your a$$

We as a people, being the 1st world nations, have done our best to save everyone, but this will be our downfall.

As much as I aplaud the efforts to “cure” illness and genital defects, these are the things Ole Mother Nature uses to cull the herd and ensure “survival of the fittest“.

Many may denounce me for this, but from a scientific standpoint, we are trying to out think/bypass the natural selection process and in doing so, unless we can find a “cure all “ solution, we are diluting the genome and will be the cause of our own demise.

I may be considered an ar$ehole for saying this (I am in some respects)

Hey, if that was an automatic DQ, I wouldn't get invited anywhere. I just try to minimize that side of myself the best I can. Once in a while, someone has to end up telling me what a great job I'm not doing, lol, and I generally try a little harder.

I have never equated blunt speaking with being an @sshole. The opposite, maybe...

Ole Mother Nature ain’t as stupid as most of us and will cull the idiots eventually.

Yeah, but collateral damage is a b!tch. (And friendly fire... isn't.)

Many may denounce me for this, but from a scientific standpoint, we are trying to out think/bypass the natural selection process and in doing so, unless we can find a “cure all “ solution, we are diluting the genome and will be the cause of our own demise.

It's a question of limited resources, isn't it? That attitude was great when the world population was (relatively) low, the level of easily harvestable natural resources was high, and average life expectancy was low. However, when the population is high, resource level continues to shrink, et cetera... The bridge might just be out at the end of the tracks. We need to open up new resource areas! Otherwise, we're heading for a calamity - and the civilization that eventually arises afterwards won't have a whole lot to work with. One possible (probable) explanation for the Fermi paradox ("Google it"), IMHO. We've never found evidence of current alien life because they were as shortsighted and stupid as we are...

How's that garden going, PCaddict?

Back
Top Bottom