Pollinating

Redwiggler

I’m going to pollinate a bud or two. Is there a safe time where I can put the pollinated plant back in my regular bloom room with plants that are blooming? I don’t want to pollinate them.

Is there a safe time where I can put the pollinated plant back in my regular bloom room with plants that are blooming?

No, there really isn't, unless ALL the pistils on the females are brown and curly, but even then there will be some residual pollen left in the room, which could affect your next grow.

Water pretty much neutralizes pollen, so once you sure the one is pollinated that you wanted you can spray it down and majorly lessen the chance of it blowing off the plant onto others. I usually waited a couple days to make sure it got pollinated then sprayed it down, and put back into my growbox with one I wasn't pollinating.

Water pretty much neutralizes pollen, so once you sure the one is pollinated that you wanted you can spray it down and majorly lessen the chance of it blowing off the plant onto others.
Water pretty much neutralizes pollen,
And so does room or "...comfortable for humans...' temperatures.

Found this on a web page at Leafly ....
Out in the open, pollen may be viable for one or two weeks under normal conditions. However, when frozen and sealed, it can last up to a year and even longer.
and on the same web page...
For both seeds and pollen that have been frozen long-term, it’s important to avoid defrosting until they are ready to be used. Fluctuations in temperature and moisture content will quickly destroy their viability, so maintain a steady temperature for as long as possible. Warming and freezing multiple times isn’t good.

Then there is this below, in italics, from a website called bloommedicinals which talks about a recent study on Marijuana pollen partially paid for by the Canadian Gov. (That article included Cannabis Pollen Long-Term Storage in the title.) The article included several resource links that might be handy including the Leafly article mentioned above...
The study found that pollen collected during different growth stages has different periods of longevity. Researchers collected the pollen during four different stages of flower development over 21 days; Early, Mid, Mid-Late and Late. The only stage that did not lose viability after 7 days in storage at 4°C (39.2°F) was Mid. The pollen collected during the Mid flowering stage retained its viability for the longest period which was 22% of pollen grains after 21 days stored at 4°C.

Maybe as mentioned, spray the plant down a day or two after pollination and wipe off surfaces with a wet rag.

There is the paper bag method of pollinating just one or two branches which concentrates the pollen into a small area and makes it easier to maintain some sort of control.

The first step is to move your male plant to another room and carefully collect some pollen before destroying that plant. I then mix white flour into the pollen at a 1:4 ratio, just to make the pollen less apt to get into the air and then I pollinate a single branch of a female plant by painting the pollen mix onto the top 2 or 3 buds with a little watercolor paintbrush, again after taking my female plant to another room. After a day or so, when I can see the buds visibly changing, I know that pollination has taken place. Then I spray my female down with plenty of plain water so as to kill any remaining pollen, really concentrating on cleaning those pollinated buds and then I confidently move her back to the bloom room with the other plants. If I am careful and make sure that I don't carry pollen back in on my clothing or my hair, nothing else gets pollinated except the branches that I intended.

Once the pollinated plants white hairs turn brown/amber and curl up, it means the plant received the pollen and is now in the process of making seeds. Usually this is within 24-48 hours after pollen hits the white hairs/pistils.

After you see the plant has received the pollen, you can spray down the plant with water which will deactivate any pollen (from what I have read), and it should be ok to then put it in the tent with your other flowering (non seeded) plants. Make sure to hit the leaves (both sides), stems and even soil with water as pollen goes everywhere when its dry. To be extra cautious you could even spray it down 2x over a few day period and then put it back with your non-seeded females and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom