Power Requirements

GrowNMo

Hello folks,
Couldnt find the info that made sense to me, so...
If i have a grow tent, 4x4x6 or 8 and I decide to add a separate electrical circuit to my shed in which the grow tent will be set up in. Using LED lights, fan, etc. Lets just say i purchase a kit of all needed materials from one of our recommended sponsors, do i need anything larger that a 20 amp circuit? Should i be concerned that this is not enough power to manage a small grow. Not even sure i am asking the right questions. Please advise. Thanks.
GrowNMo

Any chance you will be running anything with a compressor? I e. Small air conditioner, dehumidifier, etc. If so, be sure to leave a few amps available

I will have an electrician run a separate circuit.
Best way to do it based on what you have mentioned so far. Show him where and what you want and he or she should be able to come up with the right amperage, etc.

I did similar when I wanted a new circuit just for the grow room. He was already familiar with what was going on but he showed up, looked at what I already had going again, poked around the circuit box, wiggled a couple of circuits and said 'OK!'.

We went upstairs and he mentioned what was involved and he would be back in a couple of weeks. I gave him a joint for his time and trouble and he went home.

He called a couple of weeks later and we set up a time I would be home. He showed up with wires already pre-cut, spare circuit, screws, bolts, outlet box, and a tool bag. When he was done I gave him enough weed to match his labor and materials price and he went back home. Everyone happy.:D

All that for the new flowering tent.

Hello folks,
Couldnt find the info that made sense to me, so...
If i have a grow tent, 4x4x6 or 8 and I decide to add a separate electrical circuit to my shed in which the grow tent will be set up in. Using LED lights, fan, etc. Lets just say i purchase a kit of all needed materials from one of our recommended sponsors, do i need anything larger that a 20 amp circuit? Should i be concerned that this is not enough power to manage a small grow. Not even sure i am asking the right questions. Please advise. Thanks.
GrowNMo
please name you led "maker" - (budget led (re-namer Elevated Lighting ?) anyway power should not be your issue unless you are running many, many led's

Not sure of needing dehumidifier or A/C but i can ask the fella who will set up the circuit. Thanks
I think the 20amp would be plenty for a shed but always double check. Especially because an AC compressor will spike the power usage when it first kicks on that often trips breakers, etc and you don't want your lights randomly going down on a photoperiod grow! same goes if you'll need electric heaters in the wintertime. If I were setting up a shed I here it would be sweet to have a mini split inside because any building here without is pretty much an oven LOL

Hello @GrowNMo
Hard to explain, so I'll demonstrate by example
My lamps draw 390w max, so a 500w max trip (30Ma) on their dedicated circuit protects at point of consumption
Air con etc draws only 135w, so a 150w max trip [ditto above]
They are both fed by the same feed, so combined they are about 650w so a 20amp feed is plenty, 10a is probably more safe
Should have asked first - are you 110v or 220/240?

Several of my lights are able to run more efficiently on 220v. I am having an electrician wire up a small breaker box in my upstairs grow area to be able to supply that voltage to the 3 lights that will handle it. This will take quite a load off of the 20amp 110 service already wired in up there and I should be able to safely run space heaters and air conditioners up there if I wanted to and I am betting that it saves me a little on electric costs too. As long as they are running a line, you might ask what the advantages could be to run 220 out there, and break it into a 110 circuit or two in a box at the far end.

Hello @GrowNMo
Hard to explain, so I'll demonstrate by example
My lamps draw 390w max, so a 500w max trip (30Ma) on their dedicated circuit protects at point of consumption
Air con etc draws only 135w, so a 150w max trip [ditto above]
They are both fed by the same feed, so combined they are about 650w so a 20amp feed is plenty, 10a is probably more safe
Should have asked first - are you 110v or 220/240?
what aircon are you using? I would love to find one that only draws 150w!

I think the 20amp would be plenty for a shed but always double check. Especially because an AC compressor will spike the power usage when it first kicks on that often trips breakers, etc and you don't want your lights randomly going down on a photoperiod grow! same goes if you'll need electric heaters in the wintertime. If I were setting up a shed I here it would be sweet to have a mini split inside because any building here without is pretty much an oven LOL
What is a mini split?

Extractor @35 - 75w
Circulator @10w
Filter/Dehumidifier @100w on low setting (200w on max, rarely necessary but handy for drying)
MonHaus, Zon, £70 (UK)
gotcha, I thought you were saying you have an air conditioner that only uses 150 watts because my portable AC pulls 700watts at around 6amps +/-, etc

What is a mini split?
it's a ductless style air conditioner where the compressor sits outside but the air handler is wall mounted in the room. Unlike central air the unit only handles one room which is why they're great for shops, garages, sheds, etc.

1652206182921.png

Use the watts to amps calculator. Basically, 2200 watts (true draw) will pull around 18.6 amps. So a 20 amp breaker will work. Simply add up the amount of watts all your lights, fans, heaters/coolers, etc. use and run that number through the calculator to see how many amps you'll need. Google "watts to amps calculator". Hope this helps.

Use the watts to amps calculator. Basically, 2200 watts (true draw) will pull around 18.6 amps. So a 20 amp breaker will work. Simply add up the amount of watts all your lights, fans, heaters/coolers, etc. use and run that number through the calculator to see how many amps you'll need. Google "watts to amps calculator". Hope this helps.
watts = amps x volts!
so if you know your house is on 110V, just divide your wattage/110 = amps
IF you're going heavy duty and want to use 220V then you can reduce your amps as well

If 120V

1500w is max for a 15amp service (1800w is 15 amps) so a little head room is good

Ohms law (google is your friend)

For a 20 amp service you need special outlets and 12ga wire - no exceptions.

Do not short cut with thinner gauge (14ga) wire.

12ga wire aint cheep - did I mention do NOT short cut.

You can get away with 2 15 amp circuits with 14ga wire but it requires 2 runs of thinner wire. I run 12ga and have my room on 20amp circuits.

If your running any heating/cooling I'd put that on a separate circuit.

IF its a 4x4 tent 15amp should be enough and if you have heating cooling run that on a separate 15amp service. But again if there's room for more build it bigger you will have room to expand.

If you go 20 amp service you need 20 amp sockets/switches/timers/power strips. All of these are more expensive that the 15amp versions. Did I mention do NOT short cut.

240v is more efficient but a lot more dangerous. There will be no wiggle room with safety and why we have 120v here in the states as standard house voltage.

Like @SmokingWings said, a Licensed electrician should be able to tell you what you need. I also have a grow shed, I have a 30 amp 240 volt circuit ran to my shed from the main panel. The 30 amp circuit powers a sub panel that has 120 volt 15 and 20 amp circuit breakers. I have a small window shaker AC, heater, ceiling lighting, LED grow lighting, fans, exhaust, PC, water pumps. I hardly ever run the AC or the heater.

Back
Top Bottom