Princess Second Northern Lights Grow - All Welcome!

PrincessPot

So after my last grow ending abruptly I've decided to keep going with the same strain hopefully things go great this time around! all comments welcome :welcome:
What strain is it? Northern Lights
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Hybrid
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Germinating
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Black gold seedling mix
If soil... What size pot? 10oz cup ounce taproot shows.
Size of light? 18watt CFL's.
Any Pests ? Nope
How often are you watering? none yet.
Type and strength of ferts used? None yet gonna be using BPN farmers pride grow and bloom.
All of my old subscribers are welcome as well as new!

Re: Princess second northern lights grow-all welcome!

Hey Princess,

You didn't have to start a new journal. You could have continued with the old. Maybe you wanted to have a fresh start.

Anyway, as I said, I'll be keeping an eye on this grow. If something pops up and I'm not here, post something on my journal.

How long did it take to germinate your last seed?

anyone know what happens if the seed accidentally goes in taproot side up?

The root will turn around and grow into the soil. This is geotropism, i.e., the plant can sense gravity and will start growing downwards. It's not a big deal. It's really hard to get the seed facing taproot down; I know I've tried. If the taproot is facing up, it will take a little longer to pop the surface, because first the root had to start growing downwards and then push towards the surface. If you're lucky and get the seed in taproot down, it will pop out a bit earlier.

What I do now is take a chopstick or something with a narrow diameter and use it to make a small hole in the soil. Then I drop the seed in and hope it ends up with the taproot down. You can sometimes get it to do that by jockeying the seed around.

As I said, seeds are pretty smart. If they weren't most of them wouldn't germinate.

So, sit back and let Mother Nature do her thing!

Hey Princess I just read through your entire last Journal I'm sorry your plant didn't make it. But I look forward to Following this new one as I have been doing alot of research before I attempt my first low budget grow. So I wont have any tips on what you should do but ggrant seemed to be giving the load of information last journal.

And I would like the thank you ggrant because you have given me a bunch of info for me to take in before I order my seeds and start my first grow.

Oh nice! I have found that placing the seeds on the surface of reverse osmosis water at night and then popping them in an inch of moist soil with the light close by results in the the most stout girls.

Princess are your seed auto flowering? I don't remember anything mentioned about that so I assume they are just feminized.

I am trying to narrow down a strain I should start with and if it should Autoflower or just be Feminized so I am really looking forward to watching your plant grow. Please take lots of picture :ganjamon:

Aikanaka808 said:
And I would like the thank you ggrant because you have given me a bunch of info for me to take in before I order my seeds and start my first grow.

You're welcome, mate. Let me know when you start your own grow journal and I'd be happy to stop by.

Pricess said:
I was upset when she didn't pull through but i'm hoping this one goes perfect!

I was upset, too! I hate to see sickly plants. This grow will be better.

I used to be afraid of touching the seeds after they've sprouted, but they're tougher than you think. I just popped a Cheesus seed into soil last night and hopefully she'll pop up in a day or two.

I placed her in a cup of water, covered it and left it in my grow room (a warm place) for two days. I didn't want to handle the seed more than necessary, so I poured the water and the seed over a small hole I had dug into the soil. The seed didn't go into the hole, but slid down the side of the cup and fell into the pot somewhere.

It took me five minutes to find it. Seeds have very good camouflage! It was at the edge of the pot on the surface and I doubt she would germinate if I left her there. I picked it up gently with my fingers and placed it in the hole I had dug and covered her up. I tried to jockey the seed so that the taproot was facing downwards, but I think it ended on its side. No big deal. It's almost impossible to get a seed to lie taproot facing downwards.

Did you say you buried her in a inch or two of soil? Did you plant the seed that far down the last time?

On my current grow, I planted the seeds about an inch down. Two germinated quickly, the others I had to give a helping hand.

If the seed doesn't pop the surface after three days, do the following (you have to remember where you planted the seed to do this, hopefully in the center of the pot):

Use your fingernail to gently scrape away the top layer of soil, Pretend this is like an open pit mining operation where the soil is stipped away leaving something that looks like a sink-hole. Keep this up until you see the seed. You should see the taproot and hopefully, part of the emerging green leaf. When you do, gently place 1/4 inch of soil over the top. Keep it moist. I use an aerosol spray. Gently dripping a little water over the soil you used to cover the seed works as well. Don't tamp it down or pack the soil!

I had to do this with two of my G13 gals, especially the plant I call Little Sister on my journal. The fifth seed, as I mentioned previously, was taken by aliens. Wait till they find out how high their flying saucer can really go!

Just keep the entire top of the soil moist, but not too wet. Remember the roots need some oxygen as well.

So are you saying the seed fell somewhere in the pot and you're not sure where, or you buried it two inches below the surface? I hope it's the first and that it's sitting somewhere near the surface. If that's the case, if you can do a rescue service search, start by drawing sectors and slowly scanning the surface. It took me five minutes to find mine and it was right on the surface near the edge. These babies like to wear camo to avoid predators. One she gets to know you, she won't be so shy.

You can always call in your local branch of the FBI. They have search dogs that are good at finding these sorts of things.

Barring that, just keep the entire surface of the soil moist, including near the edge. Use the mister that you had for foliar spraying and use it to lightly mist the entire surface three of four times a day. The soil should feel damp and springy, but not very wet. If it gets dry or hard, water immediately. Keep the plant about 12" from your CFL. If it's near the surface, you should eventually see it when it emerges from its husk. When you do, gently move it toward the center of the pot and cover it with 1/4" of soil. It only needs the soil to protect the roots (they don't like bright light). The roots are able to burrow into soft soil to get a footing. That's why you don't have to bury the seeds very far down.

What I've done in the past if to pour the water and seed from the cup into my hand. I let the water drain away and gently pick up the seed and place it in a tiny hole I've dug with a chopstick (as I mentioned above). I didn't do it this time because I though it would just drop down into the hole. I didn't count on surface tension (the tendency of water to stick to surfaces like glass - that's why water is higher at the edges of a cup then at the center) drawing the water and the seed with it along the edge of the cup.

You're welcome, mate. Let me know when you start your own grow journal and I'd be happy to stop by.

Well unfortunately my grow wont be for a while. Probably September because my school lets out in May and once summer hits I wont have time to care for my plant. And plus I am in the process of constructing a PC grow box for myself :).

Anyways Princess were you able to gather much information on Autoflower seeds? I keep searching and there's not much, I have only been able to come across that they don't actually need a strict light schedule and you dont have to give them any veg nutes. And also they don't grow that tall.

If I am wrong on any of this someone correct me as I have yet to grow but this has just been some common things I have noticed reading about Autoflowers

And did you find your seed or has it sprouted yet?

Back
Top Bottom