Promix BX vs HP

TallGuyWithTheFood

i can get the BX local, no shipping. HP would run me 65USD minimum. Im used to soil and the watering regime. With vermiculite in it, the BX sounds like a similar draining product to soil.
Its either that, or build my own for the winter indoor grow.

BX is a hot mix for seedling stages. You need to brake it down with something else that has no fertilizer. Coco, perlites
It is a really got soil. I use HP as we have it local and it allows me to control my own nutrients

I have to disagree about BX being hot. It has vermiculite instead of perlite which retains water longer. It's fine to use but cutting it with perlite helps with drainage.

1597784567050.png

1597784653818.png

I have to disagree about BX being hot. It has vermiculite instead of perlite which retains water longer. It's fine to use but cutting it with perlite helps with drainage.

1597784567050.png

1597784653818.png
oh really. thx for correcting me.
I thought because of fertilizers in it that it was to much for the begining stages.

I thought because of fertilizers in it that it was to much for the begining stages.
No there are no fertilizers in Promix. It's pretty neutral but usually requires watering in to activate the lime for buffering. Also you need to keep an eye on expiry dates as the soil pH tends to rise on outdated product.

No there are no fertilizers in Promix. It's pretty neutral but usually requires watering in to activate the lime for buffering. Also you need to keep an eye on expiry dates as the soil pH tends to rise on outdated product.
good to know

And fungus
Those items I have in spades for the extra 30$ I have a year supply of mycos and a 10 year supply of Ca.

Those products are marketed for landscapers that need to open the bag and spread around and get paid. There are better much less expensive products = 100% Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss it the better product.

100% Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss it the better product.

Doesn't that stuff take like 10,000 years for "the planet" to make?

BtW, the company that sells the ProMix products also sells mycorrhizal inoculant separately:

I assume they're still a forum sponsor. If not, I suppose that link will get edited out shortly :rolleyes: .

Pro-mix is the same thing only $45 instead of $12 and its only 90% CSPM. Canada has a peat moss industry association gear towards proper stewardship of the industry. Only a few companies are allowed to harvest peat moss and they have a yearly quota.

Here's the link:

Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Association

If you look at the companies that are part of this association you will see Primier Tech that is the parent company of pro-mix. They also produce and sell 100% CSPM at the $12/bale price point I was pointing to. Same products same company different labels and different pricing.

Pro-mix marketed to the PRO-fessional landscapers whom pass that price on to the consumer.

All I suggest is you can save some coin for other goodies like seeds and mycos etc.

We worry about peat moss and its age and are not that concerned with global warming. By "we" I mean we the people. At the rate we are going .... peat likely hopefully will out live us. Not that this is a reason to not worry about it we should its a natural resource.

We are burning down forests and food crops (while starvation is a thing) for fuel for our cars... this is a much much larger issue for me. Net energy from making bio-fuel is negative. Meaning it takes more fossil fuel to make bio-fuel than it produces. This is a much larger problem. At some point we may switch BACK to burning peat moss as we hoo-man have been doing for 1000s of years. Good? No.

Back
Top Bottom