Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

Greetings Growmies,

Here's a quick update...

All the seed I got for this quest has now germinated and sprouted, with only a few turning out to be duds. All seedlings are in 1 gal pots. They are slow and leggy due to low solar exposure this time of year, but they are looking healthy.

In the foreground – Tallest are Green Mountain Grape (4), Grape Ape (2); the rest are HI-BISCUS (6), Blue Widow (1), Sweet Critical CBD (5), and Seedsman 30:1 CBD (3). Freebies: GSC (1), BB (2), Cement Shoes (1). Background: Some plants I defoliated yesterday (left), getting ready for transfer to the flower house. I'm seeing a lot of powdery mildew.. spraying with peroxide solution. I'll also spray with neem and soap solution.
veg_house_seedlings1.jpg

Cloning to preserve some strains that I'm presently not interested in flowering out. My emphasis is now on the new seedlings, and also continuing to flower the Blue Dream hybrid I've been growing which is bud-rot resistant, and a couple of my CBD phenos.
1670724190474.png

In the foreground – Tallest are Green Mountain Grape (4), Grape Ape (2); the rest are HI-BISCUS (6), Blue Widow (1), Sweet Critical CBD (5), and Seedsman 30:1 CBD (3).
Ahh, ok! Thank you!

Greetings Growmies,

Here's a quick update...

All the seed I got for this quest has now germinated and sprouted, with only a few turning out to be duds. All seedlings are in 1 gal pots. They are slow and leggy due to low solar exposure this time of year, but they are looking healthy.

In the foreground – Tallest are Green Mountain Grape (4), Grape Ape (2); the rest are HI-BISCUS (6), Blue Widow (1), Sweet Critical CBD (5), and Seedsman 30:1 CBD (3). Freebies: GSC (1), BB (2), Cement Shoes (1). Background: Some plants I defoliated yesterday (left), getting ready for transfer to the flower house. I'm seeing a lot of powdery mildew.. spraying with peroxide solution. I'll also spray with neem and soap solution.
veg_house_seedlings1.jpg

Cloning to preserve some strains that I'm presently not interested in flowering out. My emphasis is now on the new seedlings, and also continuing to flower the Blue Dream hybrid I've been growing which is bud-rot resistant, and a couple of my CBD phenos.
1670724190474.png
Have you tried @InTheShed’s Citric acid recipe? Good Luck + Happy Growing. CL🍀

The defol and spraying with neem+soap solution pretty much took care of the PM. I am moving them to the flower house any day now. If the mold PM persists, I might try some ascorbic acid solution – similar pH as citric, and I happen to have some. Note... I'm talking about my other plants, not the new ones in this mold-resistant quest.

Holiday greetings, Growmies! 🎄🕯️🕊️

We've just passed winter solstice, the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere, and I'm happy to welcome back the lengthening daylight hours. The sun will once again change its path across our sky, from the low southerly angle back again to straight overhead. It makes a big difference for us outdoor growers! ☀️

Here's some pics I took today. All is well, but I'm behind on preparing the flower house – lots of clearing of weeds and weed trees to be done. I think Monday's gonna be the big day. Once the older plants are moved, that will make space to up pot the newbies from 1 gal to bigger pots in the veg house. The Green Mountain Grape and Grape Ape are ready for up potting. I will need to sex the GMGs... I'll probably just move them to 2 gal for now. It's kinda rare that I deal with regular seed. I'm already thinking... what to do with the GMG pollen? Maybe cross GMG with Grape Ape – one is 90% sativa, the other 90% indica.

Foreground are the new mold-resistant candidates. 2 weeks of growth since the last photo. The tall ones in the back row of the 1 gal pots are GMG (4). In front of them are the Grape Apes (2).
veghouse1.jpg

Back row, GMG. In front of them (center) is Grape Ape (GA). The front row is Sweet Critical CBD, and on the right, a couple HI-BISCUS. The little ones are having some bugginess, but I'm trusting they'll pull through. Once they are a bit bigger, I can hit them with some neem and soap solution. The right-most plant in 1 gal is GSC, a freebie.
seedlings1.jpg

Green Mountain Grape from Ace Seeds. 90% sativa, 15-20% THC.
GMG1.jpg

Blue Widow, 50/50 hybrid, 12-17% THC. The only one that grew from 3 seeds.
bluewidow1.jpg

Holiday greetings, Growmies! 🎄🕯️🕊️

We've just passed winter solstice, the longest night of the year in the northern hemisphere, and I'm happy to welcome back the lengthening daylight hours. The sun will once again change its path across our sky, from the low southerly angle back again to straight overhead. It makes a big difference for us outdoor growers! ☀️

Here's some pics I took today. All is well, but I'm behind on preparing the flower house – lots of clearing of weeds and weed trees to be done. I think Monday's gonna be the big day. Once the older plants are moved, that will make space to up pot the newbies from 1 gal to bigger pots in the veg house. The Green Mountain Grape and Grape Ape are ready for up potting. I will need to sex the GMGs... I'll probably just move them to 2 gal for now. It's kinda rare that I deal with regular seed. I'm already thinking... what to do with the GMG pollen? Maybe cross GMG with Grape Ape – one is 90% sativa, the other 90% indica.

Foreground are the new mold-resistant candidates. 2 weeks of growth since the last photo. The tall ones in the back row of the 1 gal pots are GMG (4). In front of them are the Grape Apes (2).
veghouse1.jpg

Back row, GMG. In front of them (center) is Grape Ape (GA). The front row is Sweet Critical CBD, and on the right, a couple HI-BISCUS. The little ones are having some bugginess, but I'm trusting they'll pull through. Once they are a bit bigger, I can hit them with some neem and soap solution. The right-most plant in 1 gal is GSC, a freebie.
seedlings1.jpg

Green Mountain Grape from Ace Seeds. 90% sativa, 15-20% THC.
GMG1.jpg

Blue Widow, 50/50 hybrid, 12-17% THC. The only one that grew from 3 seeds.
bluewidow1.jpg
Merry Christmas my friend. :high-five:

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 :cool:

Hey @cbdhemp808 , did you in any of your travels find a mold-resistant CBD regular adapted to high altitudes?
(I must be dreaming, right?) Thanks!

Hey @cbdhemp808 , did you in any of your travels find a mold-resistant CBD regular adapted to high altitudes?
(I must be dreaming, right?) Thanks!
Some phenos of the Quebec CBD are sativa-leaning. That might be a good bet. I haven't grow it yet. I have one phenotype of a CBD strain I've been growing, and it's definitely mold resistant. It's indica-leaning, so it might be good at high altitudes. It presently exists as a clone.

Some phenos of the Quebec CBD are sativa-leaning. That might be a good bet. I haven't grow it yet. I have one phenotype of a CBD strain I've been growing, and it's definitely mold resistant. It's indica-leaning, so it might be good at high altitudes. It presently exists as a clone.
Ok, thanks!

The defol and spraying with neem+soap solution pretty much took care of the PM. I am moving them to the flower house any day now. If the mold PM persists, I might try some ascorbic acid solution – similar pH as citric, and I happen to have some. Note... I'm talking about my other plants, not the new ones in this mold-resistant quest.
The older plants are now in the flower house, and I'm still seeing PM. My neem+soap spray isn't working super well. I just sprayed with peroxide solution tonight.

Next I'm gonna try ascorbic acid, which has similar pH as citric acid.

In case anyone is interested, here's @InTheShed's recipe:
Citric acid and distilled water, with either dish soap or yucca extract as a surfactant:

5g citric acid
500ml distilled water
10 pipette drops dish soap

(scale to the amount needed)

Mix well and spray, preferably first thing in the morning before the sun will be on the plant. If not, late in the day so it can evaporate before nightfall but not burn in the heat of the day.

Make sure you get the whole plant as PM can hide between the buds and the branch.

For the record, 10 pipette drops of dish soap works out to a little less than 1ml in 1500ml of water (or .3ml per 500ml).

Adjusted for my 1/2 gal pump sprayer:

• 1/2 gal water
• 19g citric acid (I'm gonna use ascorbic... vit. C powder)
• 38 drops Bronner's soap (or 2 ml)

I tried the ascorbic acid foliar spray as per Shed's recipe for citric acid... seems like it didn't work. I should have tested the pH of the spray, but it may be around 2... very acidic.

I read that potassium bicarbonate foliar spray will kill PM (pH 8.0). Has anyone tried K-citrate (pH 7.0-7.5)? I read K-citrate is also great for foliar feeding of potassium during flower.

So, the citric acid is acidic, and the K bicarbonate and citrate are alkaline. It seems that alkaline is what's recommended to kill PM.

:thanks:

Update...

Today I did a major defol of the 4 girls in the flower house, to remove 99% of the PM, and just for routine thinning/pruning to increase air flow, etc. Then I sprayed them heavily with peroxide solution... 15 fl oz of 3% peroxide, a couple dropper-fulls of Bronner's peppermint soap, in 1 gal water in the pump sprayer. I noticed some slight bubbling on surfaces, so hoping this wasn't too strong, but strong enough to kill the mold. I'm still working on clearing vegetation around the greenhouse. For now I moved the plants into the sunniest part of the greenhouse.

I ordered a 2 lb bag of K-citrate.

Back in the veg greenhouse, the new seedlings are coming along nicely. No sign of sex yet for the four Green Mountain Grape sativas. I'll need to take some macro photos soon.

Aloha from fairbanks Alaska. I run some very hardy siberian landrace autos up here where it's cold and wet. Pretty much worst possible conditions for PM and bud rot. Not the hugest yields but very resistant. Cheers

Aloha Dabber, very cool. I'm actually very familiar with Fairbanks, but haven't been there in a long, long time. I met a guy there back in the old days who was growing some killer hydroponic weed. At that time, I was a teenager and didn't know squat about growing weed.

I'm not really interested in growing autos. Can you recommend any photos? Ace Seeds has Hokkaido Hemp, Japanese landrace from the north, which does produce a phenotype that's 10% CBD, 5% THC, and 3% CBG.

Here's some photos from the veg house today.

Foreground, 1 gal. and 2 gal. pots – these are all the new seedlings for the mold-resistant test. Middle - A CBG plant ready for the flower house after taking some clone cuttings. Background (left) - latest batch of clones in 1 gal. pots. Background (right) - Blue Dream hybrids (clones) still in 1 gal. pots, long overdue for up potting, but doing amazing well.
veg_house1.jpg

The 2 gal. pots - GMG regulars (4 plants), one Blue Widow (fem), two Grape Ape (fem). The GMG are starting to show sex. I had just sprayed the GMG with neem/soap solution, for a few aphids spotted at the tops, and a little bit of leaf miner.
veg_house2.jpg

Green Mountain Grape, 90% sativa.
green_mountain_grape1.jpg

Green Mountain Grape.
green_mountain_grape2.jpg

Woohoo! First GMG identified as female. Now I can transfer her to 6.5 gal plastic or 15 gal fabric smart pot. I may do some topping on one or more of the GMG, going for 4 main branches.
GMG_female.jpg

I'm hoping this one is a female. Interesting purple nodes – perhaps a sign of purple in the flowers?
GMG_mystery.jpg

Good news... so far I have confirmed that 2 of the 4 Green Mountain Grape sativas are females.
Hahaha, but do they self-identify as females? Hahaha. (Please don't answer that! Lol!!)

Good news... so far I have confirmed that 2 of the 4 Green Mountain Grape sativas are females.
The other 2... I don't know yet. But if 2 have shown to be female, does that mean the other 2 will probably also be female, since males usually show sex first?

Back
Top Bottom