Quix's Corner - Puddle-o-Green - NL & Bag Seed - Indoor Soil Experiment

Re: Quix's Corner-"Puddle-o-Green"-NL&Bagseed Indoor Soil Experiment

Hi Quixilvir :)

I gotta pull Blue's leg every once is a while, keeps him grounded. :grinjoint: Blue is a fine grower and best of all he's willing to try anything once. That's the way we learn.
Man I haven't had a real down home peach cobbler in 50 years. Yours will extra special. :) Save me a piece! :grinjoint: Yep, you better grow without OC+ this time, no way to flush it at all. There are some folks who just put OC+ in a piece of lady's hose and lay it on top of the soil. Then remove it to flush.
Since I really can't taste much of anything I don't worry about it.:)

Enjoy that cobbler my friend. :ganjamon:

Hmmmm, hosiery....Good idea OMM thanks! I may have to consider that!!
Bummer you cant taste anything my friend, although I suppose it could be interesting to know if it caused your other senses to become more accute....Has it?...

I might get some disagreement on this, but I'll post it anyway. My experience, and I've tried both ways at least a couple of times now, is that the flush really helps remove chemical taste from the trim leaves, but the buds are fine even without a flush as long as they are dried and cured properly. There are some long time, good growers who don't flush at all anymore because they also believe this and have experimented with it and decided flushing was a waste of time.

Again, it is debatable, and everyone has their own experience and preference, but that's my personal actual hands on perspective and experience. Having said that, I flush when I can to make absolutely certain I have the best flavor possible. But, I've harvested two plants now without a flush and the taste of the buds was extremely good, and did NOT taste like chemicals, etc. (Again, you still need a good dry and cure).

I'm only throwing that out there in case that's the major deciding factor in someday trying OC+. I doubt you'd notice taste/quality difference due to lack of flush. For what it's worth. :)

Now there's a good discussion XL, thanks for bringing that up! I agree that the dry n cure is probably the #1 thing that affects the taste. I would be real interested to hear what others have to say about this subject, although not everyone will see this journal....I wonder if maybe we should start a thread just for this topic...( that is if there isnt one already...)
But I'd be more than happy to host that discussion right here if anyone has input!

The deciding factor as to whether or not I use the OC+ though, has more to do with the extension of flowering time, I think, than anything else(now that I know I can top dress with panty hose)....Still considering it, but I cant seem to make up my mind:tokin:Thanks a bunch for the feedback bro!!

OK, since I'm gonna have a bit of material (OK a LOT :)) for the butter and I'd love to try some edibles. Would you mind breaking down that process a little further for the butter making impaired?

Thanks in advance my man!

Dime Bag!! (ha ha I told you variations of that name may arise from time to time, sorry bro!)

I'd be more than happy to tell you how to do it buddy, This was my first time and If you want you can look at the thread I read about it, although it was worded kinda sloppy n it felt like I was winging it the whole time...

Make sure you read my following post about being careful with this stuff when you're done reading this though bro!!

So basically, it can be done in a crock pot( which I did ) or it can be done on the stove top in a pot...I odnt like the idea of doing it on the stove because I leave it to simmer over night...

If you DO use the stove, I suggest you use a 6 qt pot or similar.

All it takes is 1 lb. unsalted butter(researched why to use unsalted over salted, my conclusion was that it is better to use unsalted, because most recipies call for unsalted, like cookies and so on...there were other reasons but just trust me its better...)

So 1 lb unsalted butter.

1 oz. whatever you want, I used bud from my last harvest, but from what I've read you can use trimmings, and what not...(obviously it'll be more potent with the bud)

I used a blender, and just dumped the stuff in, and pulsed on n off until I liked the grade...

I melted the butter(all of it) in a pot on the stove while the crock pot heated.

While the butter is melting, bring a good 2 cups of water to a boil.
This water is simply going in with the butter and buds, and will stay on the bottom as the butter will float on top of it. The water acts as a teperature buffer, prevents the butter from burning...

If you're using the crock pot, keep it on the lowest setting possible, like warm if it has it. For the stove top, low, or whatever setting allows just the mildest simmer...

Once your butter is melted completely, pour it into the heated crock, (or just leave it in your pot)

Then, pour in the boiled water

Then your groung herb.

Give it a stir, and check on it every 5-10 minutes at the beginning just to make sure it doesn't start to roll too much, you only want a very slow simmer, and from what I understand THC is in danger of being destroyed at temps above 350 or so (Feel free to chime in here if Im off, Anyone!)

Its a good idea to keep a lid on it, either the kind with a small hole to vent, or just put it on a little crooked so the pressure doesnt build, but also so your water doesnt cook off and allow your butter to burn.

I let it simmer for around 12.5 hours, but the thread I read said he only does it for 3....So far I like my method.

Once you're satisfied that your butter is now budder, take a pair of panty hose, and stretch them over a tupperware, or a coolwhip tub as I did. you want the diameter of the container to be such that when the butter cools into a decently thick slab, so that when you try to pick it up it doesnt crumble into the water from which it separated. I was able to just loosen the edges of the budder, and tip the container to drain the water.

Anyway, once you have your hose on the tub, simply pour the whole mix, slowly, through the panty hose. Once its all in the tub, unroll the hose carefully, and you should have a sock of soggy nastiness. Squeeze the crap out of it into the tub to get the remaining yummys.

I even went a step further ( although I dont feel this step really added all that much) But you can take that sock of gunk, and put it in apot of boiling water, and get every last drop of yuck out. just simmer like before, only with the lid off so the water can boil off, leaving a little more butter in the bottom, and then add that to the other butter.

Put it in the fridge, and it'll take a good 4 hours at least to harden up. Once it does, follow the directions above to get the water out....

Then comes the fun....deciding what to put it on, or in....
Hope this helps, and heres the link to the other thread. Let us know how you do bro!! :goodluck:

See post below!!!

Ok guys just a warning to all who plan to make bud butter and havent before...

If you're like me, you will go into this thinking about potency. I used a good zip for my lb of butter. This is fine. But when you start looking for recipies, don't be like me and get over-zealous and just pick anything that sounds like great munchies.

I chose a pretty easy, in the box peach cobbler. Comes with the peaches in sauce, in a pouch n everything. Recipe called for 6 tblspn of butter, which I googled, and amounts to 3/4 cup melted. I put 8, or a half cup.

I emplore you, people, DO THE MATH. Whenyou've just added a quarter oz of good bud, to a cobbler that only makes 8 or 9 servings...Well, you can guess what kind of evening you're in for if you eat a whole serving. I ate a damn sliver of a piece last night at 8pm. I was pretty much comatose by 10. I woke up this morning, still high, and tingly. It lasted for the better part of today....Yeah, wow!! I never want to be that high again. S tonight I tried just one bite, not even a big one, and 1.5 hours later, I'm really high again!

So just remember, if you plan to do a recipe like that, you may want to consider using half butter, and half bud butter!!

Hey Q!

Sounds like it's going to take you six weeks to eat that cobbler :party:

I was wondering why you put so much in there lol.

All kidding aside I hope you can eat it before it goes bad... can you freeze some of it?

Oh and one more thing.... if the recipe calls for 6 tbs of butter you could use about 2 of yours and 4 regular butters right? :peace:

I might get some disagreement on this, but I'll post it anyway. My experience, and I've tried both ways at least a couple of times now, is that the flush really helps remove chemical taste from the trim leaves, but the buds are fine even without a flush as long as they are dried and cured properly. There are some long time, good growers who don't flush at all anymore because they also believe this and have experimented with it and decided flushing was a waste of time.

Again, it is debatable, and everyone has their own experience and preference, but that's my personal actual hands on perspective and experience. Having said that, I flush when I can to make absolutely certain I have the best flavor possible. But, I've harvested two plants now without a flush and the taste of the buds was extremely good, and did NOT taste like chemicals, etc. (Again, you still need a good dry and cure).

I'm only throwing that out there in case that's the major deciding factor in someday trying OC+. I doubt you'd notice taste/quality difference due to lack of flush. For what it's worth. :)

I'm not trying to push oc+ on anyone but I haven't had a single complaint about nute taste and I can't taste any either, the smoke has been extremely smooth.

As long as you can keep your temps in the 70's, oc+ feeds somewhere in the range of 300-600 ppm's. Much lower than most guys run. It's designed to give them what they need, when they need it.

For those of you who saw my ak48, I don't think the buds could have gotten much bigger no matter what you fed it. I'm not sure that 'packing on the nutes' has much effect other than filling the plant with more than it can metabolize, so you get the nute taste unless you flush. Based on what Xlr8 said above, and that fact that leaves tend to burn first when overnuted, I'd guess the unprocessed nutes are stored in the leaves.

The max bud size is determined by genetics. We're just trying to get as close to that max as possible. I don't think they need real high levels of nutes to reach that potential, they need to get as much of what they need at the levels and times they need it. That's why oc+ works so well at such low ppm's. And why there's no nute taste even without the flush... because it hasn't given the plant extra nutes that it needs to store away.

Most of the problems with oc+ taste that I've read about dealt with high temps during the grow. OC+ will not work as designed at higher temps, it releases more.

Great discussion guys :tokin:

Quix my man, thank you for taking the time to type all that out! :high-five:

I think I may have an extra crock pot in the crawl space :).

I was thinking the same thing Blue was... gonna take a while to eat that pie. At least it makes you pass out before you get the munchies again and start eye-ballin the pie :rofl: What a vicious cycle that would be!

Thanks for the info, it's greatly appreciated!

-ten cents ;)

Here is a good link regarding pre-harvest flushing, etc. I have found much of what he posted in this link to be true from what I can tell and have experienced:

A critical look at preharvest flushing

Again, I still flush when I can, but I don't stress about it one way or another. It's all about the dry and cure in my opinion...

Here's another link with some good info to consider:

Yes/No, Do You Flush?

It's funny how growing trends are so cyclical. I remember a time where a lot of people here were giving up flushing, but now it seems most are flushing again. Depends on the grower and the preference I guess. Food for thought!

Hmmmm, hosiery....Good idea OMM thanks! I may have to consider that!!
Bummer you cant taste anything my friend, although I suppose it could be interesting to know if it caused your other senses to become more accute....Has it?...

No, it hasn't! But I think it affected my brain....I feel allot dumber now!

On second thought, I'll pass on the cobbler! :Rasta:

I can see a guy walking into a dispensary asking for the strongest stuff they have. The guy leads him over to the fridge and there sits Q's peach cobbler... $200 per slice :woohoo:

Hey Q!

Sounds like it's going to take you six weeks to eat that cobbler :party:

I was wondering why you put so much in there lol.

All kidding aside I hope you can eat it before it goes bad... can you freeze some of it?

Hey Blue! Yeah I suppose I could freeze it, but I'm starting to wonder If I'll even keep the damn thing, the taste is reall overpowering, and is hard to eat. It's just not the right combo of flavors....But more on that later....

Oh and one more thing.... if the recipe calls for 6 tbs of butter you could use about 2 of yours and 4 regular butters right? :peace:

Yeah you could absolutely do that my brotha. In fact, with this kind of recipe I would whole heartedly suggest it...

Hey everyone!! Been SLAMMED with work and other things, but a quick 2 week update...
#1 was a day later than #2 in breaking ground, and is a little shorter, but she seems to be much happier than her sister....Any thoughts or input on early stage sickly looking plants would be greatly appreciated!!!
P5050007.JPG
P5050006.JPG
P5050005.JPG

Be back soon, Hope you all are well and are :hookah:

Hey everyone!! Been SLAMMED with work and other things, but a quick 2 week update...
#1 was a day later than #2 in breaking ground, and is a little shorter, but she seems to be much happier than her sister....Any thoughts or input on early stage sickly looking plants would be greatly appreciated!!!
P5050007.JPG
P5050006.JPG
P5050005.JPG

Be back soon, Hope you all are well and are :hookah:

Hi Quick! :yummy:

I don't see any sickly plants. Relax Bro! Give em time......:popcorn:

Could just be a different pheno. :Rasta:

OMM I agree! My lucy was real droopy looking like that too when she started out Q. It's like her leaves were so big it took her a while to grow into them.

Hope everything settles down soon and you can spend more time with us, take care!

Hey Quix, try making hard candy w/the cannabutter... the wife has made cherry drops, lemon drops and orange drops. I just pop one in my mouth and take off on my harley and ride all day with a pocket full of hard candy. Only problem is the constant smiling while I am riding high... take that candy everywhere I go :slide:

One of the reason brownies are so tried and true - the combination of flavors works well, and the weed flavor doesn't overpower the brownies like it does some other edibles. Seems boring, but they taste great and work great.

Hi Quick! :yummy:

I don't see any sickly plants. Relax Bro! Give em time......:popcorn:

Could just be a different pheno. :Rasta:

Hi OMM!:) You're right I should just relax. It just bugs me when one looks vigorous and healthy and the other one, well, doesn't! I guess its just the noob in me, I know I have a lot to learn about what "Healthy" actually is...

OMM I agree! My lucy was real droopy looking like that too when she started out Q. It's like her leaves were so big it took her a while to grow into them.

Hope everything settles down soon and you can spend more time with us, take care!

Hey Blue! Thanks for the kind words buddy. Like I told OMM, I do have some growing to do before I can go around saying they look healthy or they don't. I guess I always just assumed that "Healthy" had to mean strong, straight perky leaves. I'm gunna make an effort to just WATCH, and not panic over every little thing...

Hey Quix, try making hard candy w/the cannabutter... the wife has made cherry drops, lemon drops and orange drops. I just pop one in my mouth and take off on my harley and ride all day with a pocket full of hard candy. Only problem is the constant smiling while I am riding high... take that candy everywhere I go :slide:

Hey Fader thanks for stopping in!
The candy sounds like a great idea right now, thanks for that. Think the wife would be willing to share her recipe for the cherry drops!? And a good long ride on the scooter sounds great too, its one of my longer term goals to own a Harley. What do you ride?

One of the reason brownies are so tried and true - the combination of flavors works well, and the weed flavor doesn't overpower the brownies like it does some other edibles. Seems boring, but they taste great and work great.

Hey XL!! It all makes sense to me now, you're right. That must be why brownies are such a classic. I love regular brownies. But for some reason I've never had "special" brownies. I'm pretty sure I have enough butter to do a batch of those, and some of Fader's lady's candy....Wish me luck!!

Hey all thanks for stopping by while I was out! Friday was my 4 year anniversary with the wifey, (not married leagally but might as well be lol) So we went out to dinner, then out to a favorite bar to see a friends band, then back to our friends house for more drinks and crashed at their place, didn't want to drive after drinking.

I wanted to transplant sooner, around the 2 week mark so the girls didnt get root bound. A few extra days didn't hurt though...Got to transplanting yesterday...
P5070005.JPG

P5070007.JPG

P5070006.JPG

And the girls in their new home....
P5070008.JPG

They were treated to a cocktail of FFOF soil with the remaining Sunshine Advanced mix #4, and around 40% perlite. I watered to run off just a little, with 1/4 tsp Superthrive, 1/4 tsp Great white, 1/4 tblspn MagiCal, and 1/4 tsp Actinovate....They seem quite happy this morning, and I'm anxiously awaiting the next few weeks so I can verify sex. I also installed A.C. units in both upstairs bedroom windows. Both the plants, AND the wife and I are happy with the A.C.!! See you all again soon, I'll be making my rounds to your journals over the next day or so!:peacetwo::hookah:

Looking good Quix !:thumb:

I've been farting around....I have five to replant...very soon. :cool:

Sounds like the celebration was a good one' Congrats! :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom