Ricky Bobby's - Soil - T5 - Sativa - SOG - First Journal

Thanks Shepherd!

I've decided that I'm going to add a mars reflector 96 to my aresenal! It will go over the flowering moms and then the 300 will go back on the side lighting of sog.... Or it might be in 5th moms along side the mars led too lol. I just don't know, but can't wait to find out.

Last night the front seven rows for a light watering with a little epsons salt, little molasses and some lime. I have cal mag issues always at the last parts of the plant life. Top growth almost always shows calcium deficiencies and I think probably phosphates too with the stems getting red earlier than I feel they should.

I am not sure if it's to be blamed on ph or just the volume, or lack there of, of the pots. At the end of their lives they are rootbound big time and the soil is spent so I have to try to get them what they need with their feedings. I need to order some cal-mag I know but I just hate ordering stuff online. Will figure something out on it.

Either way the table is looking good. The moms branches that were tied down some have already turned their tops back toward the light and started reaching for it. Pic update in a couple of days

Hi Ricky Bobby,
Kinda stumbled onto your journal and must say I was impressed with what you have accomplished with what you have to work with. :bravo:
The main reason I am posting is because of a picture you posted which has me concerned. It was a picture of your timers plugged into receptacles which appeared to be mounted directly to the wood without a junction box. I am an electrician by trade and what concerns me is this is a fire just waiting to happen, and I would hate to hear you were hurt or lost your grow because of something that would have been easily preventable.
Here is a quick fix, not ideal but at least I would feel better about your well being if you do it. Go to Homedepot or any hardware store and buy a few plastic electrical junction boxes. Turn power off on the circuits you have them hooked up to , in the panel and undo the wiring from the plug. Attach J-box to the wood and insert wires into J-box. Re-install wires on receptacle and install into box. Place a cover plate over device, plug timer back in and turn breaker back on in panel. Problem solved. J-box will cost you a dollar and cover plate will cost you 30 to 75 cents each depending on what style you choose. Think of it as fire insurance for under 5 bucks.

Cheers!

Hey older grower! Thanks for the compliments!

I agree with you on the boxes! I had to add more outlets real quick to have two separate timers and hadn't yet Got the boxes. I do have them covered well in electrical tape to make sure they can not accidently short from one to another for the moment. I am glad you brought it up as I've been putting it off for too long now. I am going to replace those outlets with gfi outlets and get the boxes installed and rewired this weekend!

I do appreciate the concern and looking out for me, that's what makes this such a great community!

Hey Ricky,
Not sure if I would put them on a GFCI myself, since it is highly unlikely that you will be dropping your lights into water or anything of that nature. The main reason for the J-box is if for any reason there is a short and the device actually burns the fire will be contained in the J-box and the fire will suffocate due to lack of oxygen. Electrical fires start mostly where there are connections of either one wire to another or one wire to a device. J-boxes are designed to be large enough to contain the devices and wire yet small enough to if a fire starts they will starve from lack of oxygen due to the smoke displacing the air.
With a GFCI you run the risk of it shutting itself off when you are not there due to a million different reasons. Now if you were growing hydro then I would be saying yes, go GFCI only because of the potential risks involved with pumps being in the water. But even then I would only suggest the circuits running the pumps and any other equipment that could potentially fall into a reservoir be on the GFCI circuit. Lights and the such should be fine on a non-gfci circuit.

Roger that! That will save me a few bucks anyway. I will defiantly get the boxes and covers on this week! Good lookin out! It pays to have a good electrician on your side! I have done lots of wiring myself but am far from a professional so another set of eyes on things is always helpful. I am considering running another 20amp circuit or two to the location just on the other side of the wall there because of certain things on ballots pass this year I will be doubling my room and putting in multiple hid lights, if the wife will allow it that is.

if the wife will allow it that is.

LOL sounds like my wife. Or as I prefer to call her, "She who must be obeyed!"
If it was me I would run a couple if you plan on running HIDs. They consume more power and more heat which means more ventilation which requires more power. Also keep in mind that while a 20 amp circuit will carry 20 amps, the NEC (National Electric Code) suggests you never load up your circuits more then 80% so be safe and don't load up more then 16 amps on a 20 amp breaker using #12 wire. Also make sure your receptacles are rated for 20 amps, many are only rated for 15.

Happy wife, happy life lol

Precisely. I was thinking two 20 amp with 12 gauge wire and proper recepticles. 80% of mac load would be approx 1900 watts each. I'd have two 1000 watt hid and two fans and other little trinkets and possibly the led pannels in the mix.

The two circuits should be plenty so I can have one light and one fan per circuit and extras added up between the two.

This is all a ways off but I'm getting the drawings ready in my head.

I went to school for engineering and then have worked in the past wiring telecomunications in residential and commercial buildings so I can get most things done with a tad extra help from the professionals

Trust me, my grow skills are no better then I let onto. In all honesty what you have accomplished with so little dwarfs what I have done so far.
I really can not say enough times how much I am impressed with some of the growing skills of the people on this site. Many have little to nothing to work with yet they seem to pull it off.

Since you are a race car fan let me put it this way, while a driver in a Ford Focus may not win the Daytona 500 if he places in the top 20 one has to say to themselves, wonder what he would do if he was driving the same car as the winner? Guess that is why I am so impressed with a lot of the people here, they use what they got and do a great job with what they have. My hat is off to you all.

KK i know dumb analogy but since your avatar is Ricky Bobby I felt it was appropriate
:goodjob:

You guys are dead on! I'm slowly trying to work up to that race car that the winner is driving

I am a race fan as well as slight will Ferrell fan too so good analogy!

As far as getting that race car.... I did place an order with Smoke Sara just now for a 480watt reflector 96!! I'm stoked and can't wait to get it!

I have three plants that are probably ready to be chopped. Look like they are going to foxtail soon. Trichs are 80% cloudy 20% clear. Right where I like it. I think I may push them to flower longer though so they can harvest with the others since I hate to mix up the bud washing ingredients for just three little plants. Not that it's a huge deal I just prefer to do more at once.

I think I'll push them to keep going and get some amber trichs I them and keep them separate for bed time buds. My only worry is I had bud rot on one harvest and I don't want that again.

It looks like some of the calyxes are turning purple. Have to try to get a pic.

I wasn't planning to do a pic update till beginning of next week but wanted to document the growth since removing the perlite layer off the top of the soil.
1030150633a.jpg
1030150633.jpg
1030150634c.jpg
1030150633d.jpg
1030150633c.jpg
1030150634a.jpg
1030150634.jpg

Hey Ricky,

When you get those j-boxes installed take a pic and post it as the upgrade to the grow room :) I wish you lived close by my friend because I have lots of those j-boxes and covers just laying around in buckets out in the garage, "she who must be obeyed" would love to to see any and or all of my junk given away.
I know people are busy with life and everything takes time, even something as simple as that, but I really do consider you a friend. Safety has been crammed down my throat for the last 20+ years and while at 1st I had a cavalier approach to it, over time I realized the value it has in our lives.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom