Rifleman's Roost Open 24/7: Perpetually Perplexed

:thanks: LEDbud

Hey folks, the deed is done. Four Dark Devil seeds with tiny little tap roots were placed in Rapid Rooters and buried in hydroton this evening. Sorry no photos. I was concentrating on what I was doing and forgot them. I did it a little different this time, I hope it works out. I usually just stuff the RR plugs down into the hydroton already in the netpots. This results in the plug being about in the middle of the netpot, and roots out of the netpot about 10 or 12 days after sprouting. Since my hydroton was in another room drying out from the through washing and the netpots were empty, I placed the plugs in the very bottom center of the netpots and back filled with the pebbles. If everything works out I think we'll see roots out of the basket within a couple of days of sprouting. It might mean a longer wait from germination to ground breaking, but the roots will be feeding much quicker. Thoughts ?

Shame and disgust have kept me from posting photos of the Mephisto girls. A quick look at them and you'll understand why I'm firing up the dwc buckets and possibly scraping this grow. I'm hoping the Dark Devil seeds crack by morning, if so I'll include photos with tomorrow's measurements. :peace:
Sorry to hear about your lost girls. They almost look as bad as those Crop Circle beans I tried to grow.

:thanks: LEDbud

Hey folks, the deed is done. Four Dark Devil seeds with tiny little tap roots were placed in Rapid Rooters and buried in hydroton this evening. Sorry no photos. I was concentrating on what I was doing and forgot them. I did it a little different this time, I hope it works out. I usually just stuff the RR plugs down into the hydroton already in the netpots. This results in the plug being about in the middle of the netpot, and roots out of the netpot about 10 or 12 days after sprouting. Since my hydroton was in another room drying out from the through washing and the netpots were empty, I placed the plugs in the very bottom center of the netpots and back filled with the pebbles. If everything works out I think we'll see roots out of the basket within a couple of days of sprouting. It might mean a longer wait from germination to ground breaking, but the roots will be feeding much quicker. Thoughts ?

Sounds like an interesting idea. When they make it through all that hydroton they will be much stronger for it. But of course, being autos you have to consider the additional stress that might put the through.

:woohoo: YES!!!

They're a hearty strain to begin with. I'd bet my life yours are heartier yet. I give them a really good chance of doing well. I've taken DDAs into the 80-90 day range. I can't recall if you've done the same, but I know from experience that this is one auto you can stall and not pay the ultimate price. You grow better than I do, hence my confidence level.

I did it a little different this time, I hope it works out. I usually just stuff the RR plugs down into the hydroton already in the netpots. This results in the plug being about in the middle of the netpot, and roots out of the netpot about 10 or 12 days after sprouting. Since my hydroton was in another room drying out from the through washing and the netpots were empty, I placed the plugs in the very bottom center of the netpots and back filled with the pebbles. If everything works out I think we'll see roots out of the basket within a couple of days of sprouting. It might mean a longer wait from germination to ground breaking, but the roots will be feeding much quicker. Thoughts ?

Coincidental. I usually put my seeds straight from the paper towel into the hydroton about 1 1/2-2 inches and the top comes out in 3 days roots in about a week. This time i buried the seed about an inch from the bottom of the pot. My thinking was, the quicker the roots get to the rez, the faster the top would take off. I put it in on tuesday and i had a rootlet starting to poke out tonight. The top is still about an inch under the hydroton. I'm anxious to see if it makes any difference in the speed of seedling growth. I did a black domina x red skunk my normal way about 2 weeks ago and it's about 3 inches tall already but my roots just came out yesterday. The one i buried all the way down is a purple haze. Time will tell...
Only thing i can think with your set up is, will the rapid rooter collect and hold too much moisture from the bubbles? Is it right against the pot or did you put any kind of layer of hydroton down under it? Maybe it wont be a problem. I'm not that familiar with rapid rooters.
Sorry for the ramble bro... Damn brownies got me again. .

Sorry to hear about your lost girls. They almost look as bad as those Crop Circle beans I tried to grow. Sounds like an interesting idea. When they make it through all that hydroton they will be much stronger for it. But of course, being autos you have to consider the additional stress that might put the through.

It's all a crap shoot at this point Hemi. The mephisto disaster is going to hurt me again this time next year when I'm running out of smoke. :)

:woohoo: YES!!!
They're a hearty strain to begin with. I'd bet my life yours are heartier yet. I give them a really good chance of doing well. I've taken DDAs into the 80-90 day range. I can't recall if you've done the same, but I know from experience that this is one auto you can stall and not pay the ultimate price. You grow better than I do, hence my confidence level.

I've grown two of them Sue. One went 93 and the other 96 days. I'm glad you have the confidence, I'm still reeling from my mephisto mistakes. :biglaugh:

Coincidental. I usually put my seeds straight from the paper towel into the hydroton about 1 1/2-2 inches and the top comes out in 3 days roots in about a week. This time i buried the seed about an inch from the bottom of the pot. My thinking was, the quicker the roots get to the rez, the faster the top would take off. I put it in on tuesday and i had a rootlet starting to poke out tonight. The top is still about an inch under the hydroton. I'm anxious to see if it makes any difference in the speed of seedling growth. I did a black domina x red skunk my normal way about 2 weeks ago and it's about 3 inches tall already but my roots just came out yesterday. The one i buried all the way down is a purple haze. Time will tell...
Only thing i can think with your set up is, will the rapid rooter collect and hold too much moisture from the bubbles? Is it right against the pot or did you put any kind of layer of hydroton down under it? Maybe it wont be a problem. I'm not that familiar with rapid rooters.
Sorry for the ramble bro... Damn brownies got me again. .

Thanks for the info Laz. I'm hoping to jump start seedling growth too, need to have 52oz in storage by the end of May or I'm hurting next Fall. :yikes: I usually top water once or twice a day until I see the roots out of the basket, so maybe that won't be a problem.

Nothing to do but wait and see. Might as well burn one. Ready....set....Light. :passitleft:

It's a water change day today, stay tuned for photos and data updates later this afternoon.

(Hint...Roscoe was in a festive mood.):byebye:

Haha! Something exciting to look forward to. :laughtwo:

Haha! Something exciting to look forward to. :laughtwo:

Don't get your hopes up. The ol crop duster thinks a dropped oreo cookie is akin to the second coming of Christ.:biglaugh:

You havent been reading closely...I know what 'Roscoe in a festive mood' means o_O

His nickname is Fartbox for a reason. :rofl:

Let me go load some photos and crunch some notes and I'll be back with an update soon. :peace:

I don't know where to start. The growth continues, and SS1 has taken to drinking a gallon a day. This is beginning to be more like work. :) I moved the #1 plants to the front of the tent today. Hoping to get SS1 a little less in the breeze to slow down her drinking, and it's just easier to have AU2 in the back due to her height.

Roscoe had some left over ornaments from decorating his little tree, and wanted to put some on the girls. I had to help him some. :) When I checked in on him he had ALL the bulbs on one plant, and just the lower branches. Bless his fat heart he wasn't tall enough to get any higher, nor sharp 'nuff to spread them out. :rofl: I tossed some a lil higher and spread them to the girl next door just to make him happy. He's a simple dog but he has a good heart and deserves to be pampered. :) Stats are below, photos are clickable for larger versions. Enjoy.

AU1, day 44, ppm out 483, drank 15qts & grown 13.75"(now 41.5") since Nov 27th, ppm in 928 (nutrient ppm 765)

AU2, day 44, ppm out 568, drank 18.5qts & grown 15.5"(now 49.25") since Nov 27th, ppm in 982 (nutrient ppm 822)

SS1, day 45, ppm out 488, drank 23.5 qts & grown 10.25"(now 35.5") since Nov 27th, ppm in 966 (nutrient ppm 807)

SS2, day 45, ppm out 543, drank 14.5qts & grown 9"(now 34") since Nov 27th, ppm in 999 (nutrient ppm 841)

AU1

AU2

SS1

SS2

AU1 Roots

AU2 Roots

SS1 Roots

SS2 Roots

Roscoe's token festive shot.

Edit: Yes that was 13.75 and 15.5 inches for the AUs in one week. LOL It's been like that since Nov 13. Fingers crossed it stops soon.

Edit #2: Forgot to mention I changed the nutrient recipe this week. It is now 18ml MGB, Bud Candy, Bud Factor X, Sensizym, Rhinoskin, and Big Bud into 15L H2O.

I decided to take a few close ups of the Mephisto family right after lights out. As you can see M2, Grape Crinkle, is just the frost monster that Mitch over at Mephisto Genetics promised it would be. I can't wait to get one into a hydro bucket and see what I turn out. :) Too bad that is a small 8oz cup next to them. It just accentuates the failure. :biglaugh: Then again there's still time for M2 to become a potm contender. Click on the photos for larger views. :peace:

M1, 3 Bears OG

M2, Grape Crinkle

M3, Skyrone Stomper

M4, Skywalker

M6, Sour Stomper

It looks like your AU and SS are going to be ready in about 5 1/2 weeks when did you flip em again ?
The wee ones are trying , real troopers not sure what you did Rifleman but it looks painful for them ...haha

I haven't flipped the lights, they are all four autos so I'm letting them ride it out. Breeders timeline would have me harvesting the six shooters around Jan 12, and the autoultimate on Jan 24. My experience tells me it will be close to Feb 1 for all of them. :)

I had 6 Mephistos do this as well. The successful ones though are great. Just a lot of duds, probably just my fault though. Great seeds just super easy to mess up.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ah forgot they are Auto's I will blame that on the Mango more so the wake n bake this morning ! lol
Ripped in Canada

Ahhhh, wake and bake. :) My favorite part of the day.

I had 6 Mephistos do this as well. The successful ones though are great. Just a lot of duds, probably just my fault though. Great seeds just super easy to mess up.

Sounds like the seeds are indeed at at fault.
A classic frame job the plants have you set up as the fall guy , their Patsy !

Nope, not the seeds fault this time guys. I will own this failure. Too much moisture in the solo cups stunted the heck out of them, the late transplant sealed it. I've never had any problem with Mephisto plants before. Each and everyone an eager beast of a plant. My newness to non-hydro growing doomed this run. I'll run some of them through the next empty buckets to redeem myself and the breeder. :)

I haven't flipped the lights, they are all four autos so I'm letting them ride it out. Breeders timeline would have me harvesting the six shooters around Jan 12, and the autoultimate on Jan 24. My experience tells me it will be close to Feb 1 for all of them. :)
Oh my, sounds like your Fast Buds Six Shooters and my LSD-25s should be harvested on the same date. I am really starting to like these autopots. They are like DWC, but you can grow in the heat of summer without a lot of heat issues.

Oh my, sounds like your Fast Buds Six Shooters and my LSD-25s should be harvested on the same date. I am really starting to like these autopots. They are like DWC, but you can grow in the heat of summer without a lot of heat issues.

Looking great Hemi. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom