Rifleman's Roost Open 24/7: Perpetually Perplexed

heya pa,, curious,, have you ever tried a bit o surgery on a seed,, just a bit of sanding with fine sandpaper on the end of the seed that cracks,, a bit of sanding on the end 'ridge' of the seed.

i know that there are 'dud' seeds out there but i tell ya, pa,, this surgery has saved me nearly every single seed i have come across that did not want to crack. near every one. a bit of sanding, and the seed near cracks open right away

i would absolutely 'always' try this before i chucked it,, and try it early,, so the seed does not rot in the moisture

cheers pa

You can do it. You may just be a little out of practice!!

No doubt I'm out of practice. I'm going to fix that... all damn year. ;)

heya pa,, curious,, have you ever tried a bit o surgery on a seed,, just a bit of sanding with fine sandpaper on the end of the seed that cracks,, a bit of sanding on the end 'ridge' of the seed.

i know that there are 'dud' seeds out there but i tell ya, pa,, this surgery has saved me nearly every single seed i have come across that did not want to crack. near every one. a bit of sanding, and the seed near cracks open right away

i would absolutely 'always' try this before i chucked it,, and try it early,, so the seed does not rot in the moisture

cheers pa

I have not tried sanding, but these might be a prime candidate for it. I'll grab the nail file and have a go at them when I get home. :high-five:

I had that happen with... several, relatively recently. Assumed it was user error of some sort and gave up.

First time it happened I figured user error also. After a few more times I accepted it isn't my fault. I have a theory that it might be due to using plenty of silica during bloom and seed production. However I can't prove it, and that is just my best guess. :hmmmm:

Just blame the guy who made them ;) .

Might be the genetic pool is a thimble, and selfing brings out the undesirable traits at a higher incidence? (Or some kind of genetic... stuff, IDK, brain at a low point in the cycle, words aren't my friend during this time.)

Sorry y'all. I hate to say this...but; I've come out of retirement. :thedoubletake:

My journaling will be low and slow for the Winter as I renew my skills as a finish carpenter. That's what happens when you get down and work harder than the hired hands on your home repair jobs, and the GC takes notice of the Boomer work ethic and attention to detail. :cool:

I've agreed to work until the first day the temp exceeds 70°F. After that it's either a large raise or I hit the road and resume my travels around the Country.
:passitleft:

FYI. I received a new 5x5 by Mars via big brown last week and it is now set up with 400w of CobShop's Autocobs and four buckets.

What's going in them you ask ? Four feminized beans from Elemental Seeds, The True OG. A photo plant grow for a change.:headbanger:

I've gone back old school and using a zip top bag, damp paper towel, and the back of the TV for germentation.

Stay tuned and I'll try to keep a job, 8 buckets, and one journal going. :popcorn:

A couple of photos from both tents this morning.

Later y'all, I'm out the door going to...<gasp>work. o_O Yep, I'm still working for the GC that leveled our home and did some other work. Nothing like putting in doors, baseboards, etc. The money is good for no harder than I'm working. Being a Boomer the younger guys actually defer to me ! :thedoubletake: :rofl:

Running out the door for work today, but before I do here are a couple of photos from last week. The red line denotes the separating point of the two plants in the single bucket.

1/4lb auto x stardawg auto on the left(3 ft), a mystery seed from the hydroton on the right.

1/4lb auto x tangerine dream auto(35")

Haven't posted since the 27th. Hmmmm. Must mean I've been busy elsewhere. I hope all the hydro growers remembered to calibrate their instruments on the 1st. :rolleyes:

Quick update for y'all. I'm done to just more than 2 oz left from my stash, and I have three autos between 58 & 65 days old. All between 33 - 36 inches too. :p Also have enough oil left to make 32 brownies that even Sue would enjoy. ;) I think I'll make it to harvest. <snicker> Just barely though.

I did water changes on those 3 today, I'll do the other four(37 days) tomorrow. Sorry but no photographic evidence exists. :passitleft:

I've agreed to work until the first day the temp exceeds 70°F.

Oh dude.... I could easily keep you busy for months... but it was 80+ for a few days last week and I suspect the trend will continue.
My recent woes.... waiting on the humidity to drop below 80% so I can get some painting and drywall done. It hasn't dropped below the 90% mark for a week. Sux. Storm blew out the gulf air today and I may be able to move forward on that tomorrow. It was ok.... I installed kitchen cabs, bath vanities, a tub and fancy surround, and even poured another resin kitchen countertop while waiting for the weather to change.
Yup.... months.

Did y'all hear it ?

Ker whack, ker whack, ker whack! HARVEST DAY ! :cheer:

Mystery plant #1 gave me 393g wet(day 85), and Mystery plant #2 685g wet(day 76).

Now it's a race against time as mystery 1 was sharing a bucket with another plant. That bucket now has a passel of roots without anything supporting them. Rot will start soon. :(

The two plants left are crosses with Quarter Pound Auto genetics. They are on days 83 & 85, and on a water only diet.

Even better, as soon as those are out of the way I have five or six DDA already started in 3gal felt bags of ProMix. No rest or waiting. I ended growing season last Apr 2nd with a 3lb + reserve, and I am down to my last 1.5oz No trips to visit @SweetSue this year so it's going to be all about growing and storing as much bud as humanly possible until Spring 2021. o_O

Now join me as I take a rip off of Mystery #1 that I clipped almost a week ago. Gotta sample dontcha know. :hookah:

@Tead I'm getting exceptionally good at door casings, hanging doors, and coping out baseboards. :cool:

Learned a hard lesson a few weeks ago though... keep yer dick beaters away from anything that spins, slams, or cuts. :rofl:

Yeah.... been there, done that. Damage the dick beaters frequently...

View media item 1754980

Doing baseboards is the killer for me. No matter how many times I look... no matter how much I think about it, I always end up doing the cut on the wrong angle. So many scrap pieces. Kills me. Got one of my helpers to do the last round just because it drives me so crazy.

The chopping of the two plants earlier this week left me with two more still under the HPS. They are the two 1/4lb auto crosses, one with a stardawg auto, the other with a tangerine auto. I got the seeds from another 420mag grower. He wanted to see what they'd do in DWC. At 35 & 36 inches I'm claiming success. ;)

What do y'all think? So heavy they can't hold themselves up. :cool:

QSA

QTA

A 2oz and a 1oz cob. Straight from harvest to wrapped and sealed. My heat mat will only go to 108°F. When it does I'm starting a 48hr count down before checking on them the first time.

View media item 1760265

Thanks @SweetSue the dust shall be next. :passitleft:

A 2oz and a 1oz cob. Straight from harvest to wrapped and sealed. My heat mat will only go to 108°F. When it does I'm starting a 48hr count down before checking on them the first time.

View media item 1760265

Thanks @SweetSue the dust shall be next. :passitleft:

Ooooo.... nicely done Mr. McCain. :high-five:

Dust will be a lot of fun too. Just wait. :cheesygrinsmiley: A starting dose is 1/4 tsp now. Not a 1/4 tablespoon. Lol!

Thanks.... :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom