Round 2 Fight! - Dinafem Blue Kush - CFL Veg / LED Flower - Soil Comparison - 2015

PakaCordova

Welcome old and new friends!

It's time to start my new journal and I hope you come along for the ride!

This time around, I am going to try and get 3 or 4 healthy plants going because I really put all of my eggs in one basket for my first grow by selecting and germinating just 1 of my 5 seeds that I got from Dinafem. I got really lucky because the seed produced a plant that has exceeded my expectations and I would have definitely selected her as a donor for my clones. I also have 4 more seeds just in case something catastrophic happens, knock on wood.

I am going to pull some clones tonight from my first grow that is still in progress here: PakaCordova's First Journal For My First Grow - Dinafem Blue Kush - Soil - Nov 2014

I need to start now because I am sending my original girl into flowering very soon. The 12/12 flip will likely start in a week and I want to be able to yank more cuttings in case I screw these first babies up.

FoxFarm Ocean Forest vs Local Organic Soil

I also have a big ass bag of organic soil that I got from a local nursery. I am curious to see if it can perform as well as the FoxFarm Ocean Forest so i will have one plant in the local soil and if it grows just as well, I will be saving some money buying local.

Setup Information

Strain - Dinafem Blue Kush
Lighting - 2 banks of 4x23W Daylight CFL for Veg / LED (Mars Hydro model to be determined) for Flower
Main Medium (2 or 3 plants) - FoxFarm Ocean Forest / Perlite / Dolomite Lime
Experimental Medium (1 plant) - Organic soil from local nursery / Perlite / Dolomite Lime
Nutrients - FoxFarm Trio
Tent - Lighthouse Hydro 4'x2'x5'
Air Flow / Scrubbing - 440 CFM Inline -> External Scrub Box
Water - Tap water pH balanced

Environment

DIUVjVF.jpg

e3aX7Gb.jpg

HvSMrYB1.jpg

Re: Round 2! FIGHT! Dinafem Blue Kush / CFL Veg ~ LED Flower / Soil Comparison / Feb

1st seat on the right? subbd
:popcorn:

Re: Round 2! Fight! Dinafem Blue Kush / CFL Veg ~ LED Flower / Soil Comparison / Feb

Welcome guys. Glad you have joined me!

I am, as we speak, fighting myself over what tops to cut for my new clones. This is the hardest thing I have done with my main girl yet! On one hand, I want to take nice, big, healthy cuttings but then on the other hand I don't want to miss out on the flowers they will produce!

Re: Round 2 Fight! - Dinafem Blue Kush - CFL Veg / LED Flower - Soil Comparison - 201

Feb 5, 2015

Good morning friends!

Pulled my first clones. I am worried that they are too short but we will see.

If anyone wants to see the journal for the plant I pulled these clones from, you can here: PakaCordova's First Journal For My First Grow - Dinafem Blue Kush - Soil - Nov 2014

Here is a vid of the big girl and the clones. I am new as shit to recording video so if anyone has and suggestions on ways I can improve, let me know.

[video=youtube;jhcJB8BfkWs]
[/video]

12750.jpg

31618.jpg

21838.jpg

41244.jpg

5980.jpg

6874.jpg

7705.jpg

Re: Round 2 Fight! - Dinafem Blue Kush - CFL Veg / LED Flower - Soil Comparison - 201

They look good. Are you still thinking about making fem seeds, might be a good time if you have any extras.

I most definitely want to make fem seeds but my big girl, I want to be seedless. Is it possible for me to pollinate just one of these 4? Or do I run the risk of all 4 pollinating because they are so close in proximity?

The first step is to turn one male and get some pollen, take a rooted cutting and plant it in a separate planter, veg it to about 6" then flower and spray it. You can leave it in with the big girl until male flowers start to appear, about 3 weeks, then isolate it somewhere under a CFL in a closet or something similar for a couple more weeks. Collect pollen and then selectively pollinate single buds or a plant. You may get an occasional seed from surrounding buds but that's not entirely bad, they are fem seeds after all.

The first step is to turn one male and get some pollen, take a rooted cutting and plant it in a separate planter, veg it to about 6" then flower and spray it. You can leave it in with the big girl until male flowers start to appear, about 3 weeks, then isolate it somewhere under a CFL in a closet or something similar for a couple more weeks. Collect pollen and then selectively pollinate single buds or a plant. You may get an occasional seed from surrounding buds but that's not entirely bad, they are fem seeds after all.

That sounds simple enough. Is it easy to collect the pollen and apply it to the female? I gotta look into making the spray. I dont have all the equipment to make the solution at home yet. Maybe I can buy some online.

That sounds simple enough. Is it easy to collect the pollen and apply it to the female? I gotta look into making the spray. I dont have all the equipment to make the solution at home yet. Maybe I can buy some online.

Very easy, at a certain point it literally falls from the plant, lately I started picking the male flowers as they open into a pill bottle and when dry I give it a shake to free the pollen and then apply the pollen with a small paint brush. You can get a couple grams (goes a long way) of silver nitrate (AgNO3) at any photography supply store or ebay, costs five bucks. I made my own by dissolving 3 grams of fine silver in 15ml of nitric acid PH down. Other than that you need some distilled water and a small spray bottle.

IMG_167919.JPG

Very easy, at a certain point it literally falls from the plant, lately I started picking the male flowers as they open into a pill bottle and when dry I give it a shake to free the pollen and then apply the pollen with a small paint brush. You can get a couple grams (goes a long way) of silver nitrate (AgNO3) at any photography supply store or ebay, costs five bucks. I made my own by dissolving 3 grams of fine silver in 15ml of nitric acid PH down. Other than that you need some distilled water and a small spray bottle.

I havent seen anything online talking about nitric acid but I did find a few tutorials on YouTube that deal with silver rods and a 9v battery. Have you ever tried that method?

I really want to do this but I also really don't want to screw it up and waste a plant, money and time if I do it wrong.

Here is what I found -

Silver wire .9999 pure 12" $7: 18 GA Round DS 100 Recycled 9999 Pure Fine Silver Wire by The Foot 12 Inches | eBay

I will swing by radioshack and grab some alligator clips and a 9v battery. I have a mason jar and distilled water already.

Would I just connect the leads to the 2 rods, submerge them and let the silver ions fall of for a few hours? How will I know I have the right mix? I don't have a ppm tester so can I just wing it or would you recommend I buy one? Did you test your solution with a meter?

I havent seen anything online talking about nitric acid but I did find a few tutorials on YouTube that deal with silver rods and a 9v battery. Have you ever tried that method?

I really want to do this but I also really don't want to screw it up and waste a plant, money and time if I do it wrong.

Here is what I found -

Silver wire .9999 pure 12" $7: 18 GA Round DS 100 Recycled 9999 Pure Fine Silver Wire by The Foot 12 Inches | eBay

I will swing by radioshack and grab some alligator clips and a 9v battery. I have a mason jar and distilled water already.

Would I just connect the leads to the 2 rods, submerge them and let the silver ions fall of for a few hours? How will I know I have the right mix? I don't have a ppm tester so can I just wing it or would you recommend I buy one? Did you test your solution with a meter?

I did the colloidal ionic silver electrolysis thing at first, in my case it was a waste of time and money and it takes a month to see if it even works. I did like the researchers did and used silver nitrate, forget that I made mine, it's 5$ amazon/ebay and you know it works and it's safe if you don't consume the male. I can tell you how much to use so you won't need ppm pen.

Silver Nitrate - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses

I did the colloidal ionic silver electrolysis thing at first, in my case it was a waste of time and money and it takes a month to see if it even works. I did like the researchers did and used silver nitrate, forget that I made mine, it's 5$ amazon/ebay and you know it works and it's safe if you don't consume the male. I can tell you how much to use so you won't need ppm pen.

Silver Nitrate - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses

Would selling this pre-mixed be illegal? How come this isn't commercialized and people are still using the CS method?

Ok, I'm down to try your method.
I will pick up the supplies I need.
Can you tell me exactly what to get and amounts to get too?
I don't want to get too much or too little of something.

There are so many ways to turn a plant male, ionic silver , real colloidal silver does not work, STS, Gibberic acid, stress ect. You need 1 or 2 grams of silver nitrate, water and a fine mist spay bottle, 2 grams will turn many many plants. The preview on the right in this link has some good info, google 'induction male flowers' in google image and you will find some papers Induction of fertile male flowers in genetically female Cannabis sativa plants by silver nitrate and silver thiosulphate anionic complex - Springer

Those papers need a shopping list lol. I went to buy silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate on amazon, but man, there were a bunch of different things out there. I was going to try and make this solution -

Always Mix part A into part B

Part A: 0.7 gram silver nitrate stirred into 40ml distilled water
Part B: 2.6 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 160 ml distilled water

Next, slowly add the silver nitrate solution to the sodium thiosulfate solution while stirring. This combination is then added to 800 ml of distilled water to equal 1 liter. This is your final stock solution.

I searched high and low for a video or complete step by step guide with pictures as reference and nothing is out there. If I figure this out, I will definitely make a guide / video to help others like me who learn better with visuals. I cannot understand the scientific papers.

Those papers need a shopping list lol. I went to buy silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate on amazon, but man, there were a bunch of different things out there. I was going to try and make this solution -

I searched high and low for a video or complete step by step guide with pictures as reference and nothing is out there. If I figure this out, I will definitely make a guide / video to help others like me who learn better with visuals. I cannot understand the scientific papers.

All you need is silver nitrate crystals, I should have mentioned the crystals, don't try to make STS , just a couple grams of plain old silver nitrate crystals (AgNO3) and water that's it nothing else. The papers experiment with different sources of silver ions we will use Silver Nitrate, I didn't want to confuse you with them they were most of my references. There are 3 steps to this, 1) dissolve crystals in water, 2) spray plant regularly 3) wait for male flowers to appear. I will be doing some at the same time as you
Silver_Nitrate_50gPouredOut.jpg

All you need is silver nitrate crystals, I should have mentioned the crystals, don't try to make STS , just a couple grams of plain old silver nitrate crystals (AgNO3) and water that's it nothing else. The papers experiment with different sources of silver ions we will use Silver Nitrate, I didn't want to confuse you with them they were most of my references. There are 3 steps to this, 1) dissolve crystals in water, 2) spray plant regularly 3) wait for male flowers to appear. I will be doing some at the same time as you
Silver_Nitrate_50gPouredOut.jpg

Well damn, lets do this!

Here is what I have in my shopping cart. Can you confirm before I pull the trigger?

Thanks for all the help with this man.

Edit: just noticed that is $10 shipping. I will look for something cheaper.

Edit: Found this now, Lab Chemicals

Edit: I bought the one from ebay. I hope this is the right stuff.

Edit: just picked one of these up too for measuring the AgNO3 - American Weigh Scale AC Series Digital Pocket Weight Scale

1666932337791.png

Back
Top Bottom