Second Grow - Let's Try This Again

Overwatering... another hugely misunderstood term.
What overwatering means is having standing water in your pots. Plants dont need water plants need moisture. Big difference here. If you have standing water on a root it immediately begins to drown. When you water from the top and it runs out the bottom it creates suction on the soil. As the water sinks it pulls air in behind it. Roots breath oxygen and foliage breathes CO2.

In a pot that has perfect drainage such as a smart pot you cant overwater as the pot wont hold standing water. You can overflood though and start rinsing nutes right out the bottom.
You still need to keep in mind though that drying the pot out forces root growth to chase water. So only in full flower with perfect drainage can you keep your soil more evenly moist. If soil completely dries all microbes die. Microbes also get eaten and die of old age so every 3rd watering or so should be compost teas to add microbes if growing organically

if you get salts into organics its all over

Oh heavens, that is an extreme purist view, and I must respectfully disagree.

You do realize that "salts" are found throughout organic systems, right? If you're add blood meal for example, blood is about 1% table salt, and manure has various salts.

It's not Dow Chemical smokestacks versus pixies dancing over majikal meadows. Ultimately, it's ALL chemicals and all chemistry.

This is Domina's log and she's organic, so we can argue about this someplace else at another time. You can have the last word if you like.

I didnt mean to start an arguement. Domina is experiencing troubles and is fairly new to growing. Im just pointing out some major basics that eliminate a ton of problems.

The salts used in inorganic nutes are chelators. What they do is deliver nutes but they build up on the roots which is why you need to do flushes in non organics. If they build up in organics they take place up on the roots where the plant wants to deliver sugars. The sugars attract the fungus which attracts the microbes. If you inhibit the sugars the circle of life stops. Its not a purist approach. Its the science of organics. So now you have to flush to get those salts out. That means you have to rinse all the goodness out of your soil. If you have a major problem in organics you can use inorganic methods to fix it but now you must finish the grow inorganically. No one way is better they are just different is all. Domina is running into problems so Im just trying to show the basics here. Once you know the difference you can choose the correct line of nutes and the correct ph levels to use them at. Then almost all problems disappear. I didnt mean to start a debate. organics has nothing to do with chemistry its biology. Thats exactly it. Chelators are chemistry. They are man made nutes that trick a plant into accepting it. And yes nature has salts.I add salts to my soil but they arent chelating salts. Both ways are excellent ways to grow and both very fun but adding inorganic chelators to organics isnt good and to a large degree adding organic nutes to an inorganic feeding system is a waste of money as there arent any microbes to convert the organic nutes.
Most of this information will really help on your next grow. You can preplan an avenue and then be true to it.
I have a buddy that just buys a bag of promix, lays it on its side, and cuts an 8 inch hole in it. He plants right into the bag and adds General Hydroponics nutes and follows their schedule faithfully. He grows killer weed. I shake my head but it works beautifully because he never deviates from GH's instructions. Its not as tasty as Living soil weed but his yields are massive.

All this was just meant to help you identify what type of line you are using and better understand it is all.

Gee64, I can tell you mean well, but I'm sorry, you clearly do not understand the concept of chelation at all or to know very much about chemistry or biology. About half of what you say is only half right or is just plain wrong.

With the best of intentions, I'm sure, you are spreading misinformation. Since horticulture interests you, I'd suggest that you take some college courses in chemistry, biology, and botany, but until then you would do well to assert your organic growing theories as that--your theories--and not as fact. You're way off the mark in many areas and seem to be repeating a bunch of la-la stuff from the organic echo chamber.

LOL, yeah. She sounded busy, and this is her second disappearance. I'm not holding my breath for her return...

hahaha, AWESOME! I agree - I'm heading over to your spot to check out what ya got going on!

Second time around of disappearing - Bye, Domina. I do hope all is well and reach out if you would like to!

:peacetwo:

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom