Seed cap broke in paper towel!

kisshell

Hi Guys,
I am a first time grower, and did the paper towel for germination. I checked after 48 hours and shockingly the cap was already separated from the root. The root are long and can see two shrinked cotyledon leaves. The two leaves are attached with each other. So I panicked and first planted the root and kept a little part above the pot but later decided to sprinkle little soil on top to also cover these underdeveloped leafs. Will that be alright or does the top part have to be above ground?
Please advice guys. So much stress.

Hi Guys,
I am a first time grower, and did the paper towel for germination. I checked after 48 hours and shockingly the cap was already separated from the root. The root are long and can see two shrinked cotyledon leaves. The two leaves are attached with each other. So I panicked and first planted the root and kept a little part above the pot but later decided to sprinkle little soil on top to also cover these underdeveloped leafs. Will that be alright or does the top part have to be above ground?
Leaves should have been above ground. Not sure what happens when they're underground. I plant my seeds straight in the soil so they always come up with the shell still attached.

Leaves should have been above ground. Not sure what happens when they're underground. I plant my seeds straight in the soil so they always come up with the shell still attached.
This is how it looks like now. I had buried the top but now decided to open the top.

20220327_212413.jpg

This is how it looks like now. I had buried the top but now decided to open the top.
Welcome aboard.

It looks like the seedling will recover now that you have removed the excess soil that was placed over it. The next stage will be the two cotyledons opening up with one on each side of the tip of the stem. They might plumb up a bit and they should turn a darker green. There is a tremendous amount of plant nutrients stored in those little leaves and the plant is using those to get growing.

In the center, between the two cotyledon leaves the first set of true leaves will push up and open. Once they start to open another set of leaves will start to show. As the plant gets to this point it has already been slowly growing a root system.

As Growings mentioned the soil does look a bit wet. It could be days, maybe a week, before it dries out enough to need more water. Choosing when it is time for the next watering is part of gaining experience in growing. Watering more than is needed is just as bad, maybe worse, than not giving enough water every now and then.

Those look like the traditional plant nursery square pots, probably about 4 or 5 inches 10-12 cm) on a side. When it is time for the first transplant the new pot should be big enough that the root mass for your seedling will easily fit in with plenty of room for more soil. If you are growing an 'auto-flower' plant some growers recommend using the final pot, the one that the plant will be in all the way through to harvest.

While you are waiting do a web search of how seedlings sprout and push through the soil. There are several very interesting time-lapse photography videos showing what happens.

So I think the plant is going to die. But it did try to stand I guess. The small leaf that was on top looks to be brown now. I have now just put another seed in water to germinate. This time I will let in be in the paper towel for only a day.

20220328_003509.jpg
It might recover after the soil dries up some. Looks way to wet for a seedling. The small roots will get too wet & kill the plant if you over water too much.
Try putting a seed 1/4" deep straight in the soil. Then give it 2 shot glasses of water every 2 days for a week. The seed will be above ground in 3-4 days at the most. I can not understand why others soak their seeds or use a paper towel or use a heat mat at times. I plant my seeds like this every time & I may lose 1 in 100. Pretty good odds.
I feel when you soak in water or paper towel first, you are playing with a delicate baby & it's roots should not be seeing light.

Seedlings often go a bit funky for the first week or so, but the plant is usually strong enough to sort itself out
It might be worth considering peat/coir plugs or putting directly into soil as BB says, but nothing is going to work unless you can keep the medium moist or on the dry side, but not wet

So I think the plant is going to die. But it did try to stand I guess. The small leaf that was on top looks to be brown now. I have now just put another seed in water to germinate. This time I will let in be in the paper towel for only a day.
Give it time. It has only been about 2 hours between photos. Babies take 9 months before being born and then about a year and half before they get the hang of walking just as an example of what happens with a little bit of patience.

Sometimes the seedling will look perfect and just stand there for days on end. It looks like they are doing nothing until suddenly they start growing like crazy.

It might recover after the soil dries up some. Looks way to wet for a seedling. The small roots will get too wet & kill the plant if you over water too much.
Try putting a seed 1/4" deep straight in the soil. Then give it 2 shot glasses of water every 2 days for a week. The seed will be above ground in 3-4 days at the most. I can not understand why others soak their seeds or use a paper towel or use a heat mat at times. I plant my seeds like this every time & I may lose 1 in 100. Pretty good odds.
I feel when you soak in water or paper towel first, you are playing with a delicate baby & it's roots should not be seeing light.
I've read some of your threads, Buds and Kudos! I wish it was that simple in Canada. You mentionned elsewhere that you disagree with seeding matts. My house is heated at about 72 F yet watered soil or towels drop the temperature significantly failing alot of costly seeds.
Where abouts do you live? I have just created another grow space allowing an indoor perpetual grow. Have succesfully cloned but just can't get a good start with my seeds so far and may have lost my only lady.
Keep up the good work and happy growing.

I've read some of your threads, Buds and Kudos! I wish it was that simple in Canada. You mentionned elsewhere that you disagree with seeding matts. My house is heated at about 72 F yet watered soil or towels drop the temperature significantly failing alot of costly seeds.
Where abouts do you live? I have just created another grow space allowing an indoor perpetual grow. Have succesfully cloned but just can't get a good start with my seeds so far and may have lost my only lady.
Keep up the good work and happy growing.
I don't like seedling mats because I've seen a lot of people overheat their soil & kill their plants with them. Don't really know if they had the temp set too high or what. But I never needed one.
I live in AZ. where it's hot & dry most the time. I keep my house temp at 77 - 78F so that may be why I don't need extra heat from a heat mat. Do you leave your water sit overnight to get to room temperature ? I would think if the soil & the water were at room temp it wouldn't change much. 72F is a little on the cool side; but the heat from the light should be enough to sprout seeds.
All I know for sure is, I fail a lot when I try the paper towel way & have 99% success seed straight in the soil. I think the trick is to give very little water. I only give 2 shot glasses of water every 2 days right in the center until they sprout. Most people I think over water them at first.

I don't like seedling mats because I've seen a lot of people overheat their soil & kill their plants with them. Don't really know if they had the temp set too high or what. But I never needed one.
I live in AZ. where it's hot & dry most the time. I keep my house temp at 77 - 78F so that may be why I don't need extra heat from a heat mat. Do you leave your water sit overnight to get to room temperature ? I would think if the soil & the water were at room temp it wouldn't change much. 72F is a little on the cool side; but the heat from the light should be enough to sprout seeds.
All I know for sure is, I fail a lot when I try the paper towel way & have 99% success seed straight in the soil. I think the trick is to give very little water. I only give 2 shot glasses of water every 2 days right in the center until they sprout. Most people I think over water them at first
Getting a delivery tomorrow. What type of soil do you use and do you scruff them first? I will try 5 of 10 into soil and keep my space heated in yhe mid to high 70's. If they don't sprout, I can always dig them out and towel them.

The other five, I will soak under cover to keep in darkness but will heat the pad to the same temp. Mid-late 70's.

Thanks for the reply Buds.

Thank you so much guys. It lived!
Of course, patience is key when growing anything whether a child or a plant.

My house is heated at about 72 F yet watered soil or towels drop the temperature significantly failing alot of costly seeds.
Did you use a thermometer to determine this. I bring it up because the drop in temperature is often nothing more than some slight evaporation off the wet soil or wet towels and the human body's nerve cells interprets this as a significant drop in temperature. Most of the time the temperature of the wet soil, towels, or even a glass of water will stabilize and be the same as the room temperature.

Light does not create instant problems; nor does heat. Most likely problems are caused when we spend more time worrying about the situation than actually putting the plants into their new hole in the ground or new pot.

I will lay "bare root" plants of all kinds, vegetables, flowers, small trees & shrubs, on the ground and then slowly work along the row putting them in their spot. I do this in full sunlight on warm and even hot days. Plants are not the delicate little things that many people think they are.

Getting a delivery tomorrow. What type of soil do you use and do you scruff them first? I will try 5 of 10 into soil and keep my space heated in yhe mid to high 70's. If they don't sprout, I can always dig them out and towel them.

The other five, I will soak under cover to keep in darkness but will heat the pad to the same temp. Mid-late 70's.

Thanks for the reply Buds.
I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest.

Hi Guys,
Same thing happened to me with some seeds I just cracked. Very lively, fresh seed. One seed had lost it's cap rather quickly – first time I have seen this. I planted that one in its hole like all the others, about 1/4" below surface of potting soil, and it came up just fine. UPDATE: sorry, not quite the same... the cotyledons were not emerged on mine... still "embryonic".

The top should be 1/4" under damp soil. What is your room temp.? I just planted 9 seeds after 18 hours of soak on Thursday at about 80F. 7 have sprouted but one of them is fighting to remove the shell.
The two leaves are attached with each other.
Best thing to do is to lightly spay them, it should soften the membrane that is keeping them stuck.
Good luck with your grow, bro! Did you start a journal? If so, please tag me. I will be starting a perpetual grow journal next week.
Happy growing bro!

Back
Top Bottom