Seedlings falling over dead

cannaruss

my seedlings get up to about 2 inches and then fall over dead. Im using peatmoss and perlite mixture which doesn't hold water too well when its fresh. I spray the top of the medium with a spray bottle with distilled water the top stays plenty moist but the solo cup still feels very light. Do you think they are dying because the top is too wet or underneath is too dry? Please help. These seeds are soooo expensive to lose like this.

Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Usually seedlings die from overwatering leading to root rot. They hardly drink anything when they're small- so most moisture loss in the first couple weeks is from evaporation. Of course it's possible they could be under watered - especially if you are in an extremely dry climate, but it's less common.

High Cannaruss

If the ones that fell over dead has soft mushy stems at the point where they emerge from the soil they got what is referred to as "damping off". Actually a fungus that rots the stem. Main cause for that is too high humidity with high temps.

Try watering from the bottom to get the whole rootball area wet and allow the surface to remain drier. Don't keep seedlings under a dome and never spray them with water. Keep temps below 75F, 70 is just about perfect.

Make sure they have plenty of light from the second they emerge from the soil. Just a simple 6500K 23W CFL or two a couple inches above them is lots so they don't stretch up too tall right away.

Good luck!

:peace:

I use a mix of about 75%/25% peat to perlite. If using peat, it should be neutralized and buffered with lime. Plain peat is too acidic.
I saturate the heck out of the medium before germinating and then water the seeds in lightly. Leave them alone and they shouldn't need water for a minimum of one week (they can go two weeks). Spraying the top surface with anything - even distilled water - is a bad idea, IMO. What you see above ground is smaller than what is going on below the surface. It only takes a few days for the roots to hit bottom in a solo cup. Make sure you have enough light, but not so much you burn your babies. Good ventilation (fan) builds strong stems. No domes or other covers = too humid. I haven't lost a seedling yet.

thanks pita I think you solved my dead seedling issue. I used peatmoss that I didn't saturate good and I believe it was too acidic. I also messed up by spraying the top layer of the soil each day to keep it moist. thanks for the info, I wont make this mistake again in the future , that's for sure, these seeds cost way too much to lose them all. good luck in your growing.

Back
Top Bottom