Several grows, still learning

miked76

Hey all you happy tokers! My name is Mike D and I really enjoy growing. I just finished my eighth cycle (first outdoors). I have grown Harlequin, White Widow, Big Bud, and Gorilla Glue indoors and just finished AK-47 and Big Bud outdoors. I only yielded 66 grams of each plant but only grew in 7 gallon container. They both smoke great but the AK is my favorite so far.

One question for the group. How do you get hard nugs? Mine are always fluffy for some reason. I use Cutting Edge Solutions nutrients, Cal-Mag, and Terpinator.

Thanks for all the great input!

Welcome to 420 Magazine @miked76

You need to tell us more about how you grow. Airy buds can be caused by a number of things, do you keep your plants within the proper parameter for the environment?

I take it you grow in soil? You should be getting more than 66 grams.
I am not familiar with your nutrient line so I can comment on them.

Here's some helpful info.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..

Welcome to 420mag :welcome: Congrats on your previous harvests it's so rewarding smoking your own home grown 👌 and a great hobby.

As for hard nugs it's probably your lighting holding you back if your plants are looking happy all the way.
You got any pictures to share? ✌️

I have grown Harlequin, White Widow, Big Bud, and Gorilla Glue indoors and just finished AK-47 and Big Bud outdoors. I only yielded 66 grams of each plant but only grew in 7 gallon container. They both smoke great but the AK is my favorite so far.
I take it that the AK-47 and Big Bud were the ones that had a yield of 66 g each and not the other 4 indoor plants.

Some of what I have heard is that outdoor plants tend to be looser. Maybe -- maybe not, but I think that harvesting early can mean that the buds are being cut off before they have had a chance to bulk up, something they do in the last 2 to 3 weeks. If I am harvesting a Blue Dream clone inside at 9 weeks to the day after the light schedule was switched (1 week for the growth of stigma/pistils) I can plan on dense buds which will be rock hard if pinched.

It takes about me 10 to 11 weeks after the stigma/pistils start to show to get a clone from the same mother plant to be at that same stage if grown outside. One of the things about outdoor plants is that changes in the weather or signs of bud rot can cause some people to harvest early. Another thing is that the temperatures can be dropping low enough from late afternoon till after sunrise that the plant stops growing until it warms back up in mid morning. What ever keeps the plant from growing to its potential means the buds will not reach that stage where they are putting on weight because they dense up.

One question for the group. How do you get hard nugs?
Letting the buds stay on the plant until the end. Maintain a proper watering schedule right up until the plant stops taking in water it becomes harvesting time. Don't forget to follow a decent fertilizing schedule. There are a few others things the grower can consider.

And, sativa dominant plants tend to take longer. Maybe allow a few extra weeks just because of the plant's sativa genetics.

Welcome to 420 Magazine @miked76

You need to tell us more about how you grow. Airy buds can be caused by a number of things, do you keep your plants within the proper parameter for the environment?

I take it you grow in soil? You should be getting more than 66 grams.
I am not familiar with your nutrient line so I can comment on them.

Here's some helpful info.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..
Thanks Tok! The outdoor grow was in soil. It was my first time outdoors. I didn’t think I would yield that much as I only had it in a 7 gallon planter. I still thought I’d get more than 66g per plant. I had nice COLAs.

I got pretty decent at indoor grows using bubbliponics. I was getting about 8oz per plant in a 4x4x7 tent using 650w MH/HPS bulbs. I kept it to three plants per cycle. Even then, my bud was looser than I see commercially.

I will keep a journal and share along the way next time.

IMG_9621.jpeg

IMG_1188.jpeg

IMG_2274.jpeg

IMG_2275.jpeg

IMG_2278.jpeg

IMG_2568.jpeg

IMG_2566.jpeg

IMG_2567.jpeg

Hi Mike, other than what's been said, the more indica a plant leans, the denser the bud will end up in my experience. That said, I've learned to enjoy the different bud densities that come up. What's important is to be able to let them finish. Those last couple of weeks can make or brake the end result.

Hey all you happy tokers! My name is Mike D and I really enjoy growing. I just finished my eighth cycle (first outdoors). I have grown Harlequin, White Widow, Big Bud, and Gorilla Glue indoors and just finished AK-47 and Big Bud outdoors. I only yielded 66 grams of each plant but only grew in 7 gallon container. They both smoke great but the AK is my favorite so far.

One question for the group. How do you get hard nugs? Mine are always fluffy for some reason. I use Cutting Edge Solutions nutrients, Cal-Mag, and Terpinator.

Thanks for all the great input!
Welcome Amigo.
Several factors combined produce hard nugs.
Genetics
Environment
Lighting etc...
But the easiest way to get hard nugs is co2.
My @VIVOSUN co2 controller made rock hard solid nugs right away.
Couldn't believe how well it worked.
Just 2 c, take care my friend.
Talk soon.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

Welcome to 420mag :welcome: Congrats on your previous harvests it's so rewarding smoking your own home grown 👌 and a great hobby.

As for hard nugs it's probably your lighting holding you back if your plants are looking happy all the way.
You got any pictures to share? ✌️
Thank you. I posted some pics of the plants in the thread. Here is one more with final dry/cured yield

IMG_3570.jpeg

Your girls look excellent outdoors; longer veg period will help with your yield.
On average most of us veg from 5 to 8 weeks; some more, some less, before transiting to flower.

How long do you average in veg?

Be safe and grow well my friend,
Tok..
Thanks. I potted them in June and flipped them to flowering nutes mid-July. Pulled last week of October. Triches were 90% clear and 10% amber.

Just a question Mike, no milky trics? Right from Clear to Amber? I ask because my time to harvest is 90% Milky 10% clear but just how ive done it.
I notice more of an upbeat experience with mostly clear trics but thinner buds and not as girthy but Amber gives me a couch lock experience
But Nice tight flowers and girthy. So i try to split the best of both worlds with the 10% clear and 90% milky

Back
Top Bottom