Newgrower93

So I’ve decided I’ll be completing my first ever SOG grow, I’ve ran 6/7 previous grows so understand nute cycles and how lights work aswell as training methods soo have the experience in that sense, but due to living in the uk and the growing laws I want to Max out my space so I’ve decided on SOG but I don’t really no what to expect yield why’s due to the way I’m going to run things or any possible difficulties I may run into , so any help would be greatly appreciated...
About of info on the setup...
1.2mx2.4mx2m tent
2 600watt HPS lights but may run 3 depending on electrical costs
72 clones into 3L pots
Growing in coco with canna nute range hand watering

I know the light is minimal for the plant numbers but I want to use the full space I have to pull the best yield, I’m sure wether I’m going to switch the cutting straight into flower once rooted or whether to veg out for 2-3weeks as I am I do want to finish it pretty fast so advice on this would be a help, only towards the yield side though as thats the only reason I’m growing this way. But yeah if anyone has some advice for what to expect it would be greatly appreciated

thanks guys

Sounds fun. I'll be interested to see what people think on this one. I'd think humidity will be one to watch with all those plants and hand watering 72 pots might be a bit of a ballache :laugh: Yield wise I've read letting them veg 2-3 weeks will increase it a fair amount. Hopefully someone that's done it will come along soon.

Sounds fun. I'll be interested to see what people think on this one. I'd think humidity will be one to watch with all those plants and hand watering 72 pots might be a bit of a ballache :laugh: Yield wise I've read letting them veg 2-3 weeks will increase it a fair amount. Hopefully someone that's done it will come along soon.
Thanks man. Yeah I had a feeling humidity may have been a factor as it has been in previous grows so I already got a dehumidifier on hand from the past that I can set in intervals of 5% to go inside the tent forgot to mention that. I know the hand watering will be a ball ache but I’ve not managed to get my head fully around a full hydro set up yet but it’s coming, the only benefit to the hand watering is the pot size is small enough to handle so may take time but I can water out of the tent to help humidity levels. I had a feeling the veg would make a difference but as I’ve never grown in a SOG method before I wasn’t 100% but thank you for the advice man

Will you journal it? I've been reading up a bit on SoG and been through a few journals on here doing it. Planning on doing a mini one once my flower tent is free. Will only be 5 plants as I grow in small spaces. Lol

I agree that the daily multiple watering coco requires will be - difficult.

Also agree to veg for a few weeks. Worst case you may have too much plant for your space but that’s better than the other way around.

SOG gives more yield (in theory anyway) because of the increased turnover speed compared to vegging longer. As far as total yield - I’ve never gotten very far above 1 gram per watt growing under hps. For me that means good, trimmed, jarred bud and not counting anything else.

I agree that the daily multiple watering coco requires will be - difficult.

Also agree to veg for a few weeks. Worst case you may have too much plant for your space but that’s better than the other way around.

SOG gives more yield (in theory anyway) because of the increased turnover speed compared to vegging longer. As far as total yield - I’ve never gotten very far above 1 gram per watt growing under hps. For me that means good, trimmed, jarred bud and not counting anything else.
Thanks for the advice. I know the daily watering s are going to be a big factor in this but I’m used to hand watering and don’t mind spending the time so it’s not the worst thing really. I will definitely look into vegging for a few weeks before flipping the clones then, do you think 2 weeks is a good time for a strong cutting? Yeah the one gram per watt is what makes me want to put a 3rd light in there but I have to figure out electric costs first. A gram per watt is still good though.

Will you journal it? I've been reading up a bit on SoG and been through a few journals on here doing it. Planning on doing a mini one once my flower tent is free. Will only be 5 plants as I grow in small spaces. Lol

Yes I will journal it when I start to try help other UK SOG growers as there’s not much help out there really for us to help max our yields in a good time.

Yes I will journal it when I start to try help other UK SOG growers as there’s not much help out there really for us to help max our yields in a good time.
Sweet. Will look out for that. Have you searched the journals here for SoG grows? Some really good ones to read through that will help you I'm sure. Not sure about any UK ones as there isn't a huge amount of us here. More than you might think though.

Cool, next questions:
Photos or autos?
And what kind of buzz do you prefer? Indica vs sativa?
It’ll be photoperiod and mostly like a hybrid leaning more to the indica side as sativas tend to flower longer than I’m looking for and are too leggy really so more than likely a indica leaning hybrid

Sweet. Will look out for that. Have you searched the journals here for SoG grows? Some really good ones to read through that will help you I'm sure. Not sure about any UK ones as there isn't a huge amount of us here. More than you might think though.
yeah I’ve read through a fair bit of SOG journals which is what made me chose this way to shorten my time, but as like many UK growers yield is pretty important to me so I was struggling to find much info that way so I wanted to see what people would expect from that themselves

do you think 2 weeks is a good time for a strong cutting?
I ‘think’ so... But I can’t really speak to how fast or well plants will grow in someone else’s room (or even in mine most of the time lol).

in my experience you want to veg them a while so they have time to grow a decent root system. I expect you want the plants to be somewhere around 12” tall before flipping - though they could be less like 10”.

The main thing you want to see is vigorous growth- to know they’re past the rooting stage and sending a stalk straight up. I’m assuming given that you have less than 6x6” width per plant, that you want to grow tallish single cola plants. IME those are easiest to trim and to work with and usually yield best.

I ‘think’ so... But I can’t really speak to how fast or well plants will grow in someone else’s room (or even in mine most of the time lol).

in my experience you want to veg them a while so they have time to grow a decent root system. I expect you want the plants to be somewhere around 12” tall before flipping - though they could be less like 10”.

The main thing you want to see is vigorous growth- to know they’re past the rooting stage and sending a stalk straight up. I’m assuming given that you have less that 6x6” width per plant, that you want to grow tallish single cola plants. IME those are easiest to trim and to work with and usually yield best.
Yes I definitely want to grow single cola plants as that will help pull more from the plant and help lower the amount of popcorn buds, in previous grows I’ve had very good veg growth in 2-3 weeks but kept them going long because I’d less plants so vegged as long as possible

Sounds like you're on the right track! I've found that removing most of the lateral branches helps keep them from growing into each other and keeps one long cola per plant super easy to trim at harvest

Thanks I’ll have a little read of this

Sounds like you're on the right track! I've found that removing most of the lateral branches helps keep them from growing into each other and keeps one long cola per plant super easy to trim at harvest
thanks for the advice, I’ll let you know once I start and drop a journal to hopefully help someone else that maybe in my position

If you haven’t already, it would be good to put thought into the watering. A long handled watering jug would help a lot. When I grew in coco i set up an auto-watering system because there was no way I could be in there three times a day.

There are other systems such as watering mats. But as long you’re around to do the watering yourself, then maybe that would be easier than trying to setup something automated, for so many plants

If you haven’t already, it would be good to put thought into the watering. A long handled watering jug would help a lot. When I grew in coco i set up an auto-watering system because there was no way I could be in there three times a day.

There are other systems such as watering mats. But as long you’re around to do the watering yourself, then maybe that would be easier than trying to setup something automated, for so many plants
I can be there to water that’s not a problem although I would love to be able to run an automated watering system I just don’t have time to get one that big set up unfortunately

You could do a cheap ebb and flow set up with a small pump on a timer! I did it with a $10 cement mixing tub sitting on top of an $8 storage tote.
On the downside it does eat up some vertical real estate.
I only water my coco once/day as needed so don't rough me up coco growers!

Back
Top Bottom