Sour Lemon OG & Raspberry Cough, 1st Grow, 900W LED, Soil

Cannabro

Sup y'all. Journals a bit late but I thought I'd be asking a few questions along the way so thought I'd start one up.

What strain is it?
Sour Lemon . (GYO freebie)
Raspberry Cough (Nirvana)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Hybrids - sativa dominant (although don't really look like it?)

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Veg

If in Veg... For how long? 75 days

Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor

Soil or Hydro?
Soil

If soil... what is in your mix?
Perlite and soil

If soil... What size pot?
20L - 5 gal

Size of light?
600 and 300w Mars Hydro LED

Temp of Room/cab?
Sitting pretty at around 20-25 degrees Celsius most of the time

RH of Room/cab?
40-50%

Any Pests ? Nil

How often are you watering?
4-5 days

Type and strength of ferts used?
Dutch master gold grow A+B (only feeding at half strength max)

So you may have read that I've been vegging these for 75 days approx now. They're by no means impressive, I stunted them in 3 ways (cold, topping and over fed) and have learnt from my mistakes. They are growing at a decent rate now.

I want to flower them soon though, they're only in a 2x2x5 tent which doesn't leave too much room. If they stretch heaps I'll drop in a scrog

Might flip to flower in 15 days or less.

yield - I'd be happy with an OZ off each but not sure if I'll get it.

Here's a picture of them, sorry it's sideways

420-magazine-mobile1434061865.jpg

re: Sour Lemon OG & Raspberry Cough - 1st Grow - 900W LED - Soil

Did some LST this morning, not sure if I did it heaps correct? (Input appreciated)
Also how long approx till I can remove the ties? i was thinking a week?

420-magazine-mobile689098480.jpg

Just wanted to get light to the centre branches and utilise the grow space by letting them grow out not up for a week.

Am thinking I'll veg these for 100 days all up since I've knocked off about 30 days of growth just through error . so will still be almost a month before I flower, but I figure it may be worth it in the end

give us some input on your temp issues and what you did to remedy....

Oh as in the cold? at the begging they were in the shed. Now they are inside. I had 1200w on them but it was unnecessary and the extra heat sucked. I found the 900 actually better and that if I got the room temp right. They thrived. A bit lol

subbed. Looking forward to following progress.

As for the lst ties, I'd leave 'em there for quite a while, least till the stalks there harden up where you want them as you manipulate the new stuff, probably more than two weeks, I'd probably just leave them till at least flower flip, and remove the lower ones at that point and probably keep any other up higher at that point unless they're getting in the way. Looks pretty good though, lovely looking plants, though I never would have guessed they were in veg for 75 days, but you explained that. :thumb:

subbed. Looking forward to following progress.

As for the lst ties, I'd leave 'em there for quite a while, least till the stalks there harden up where you want them as you manipulate the new stuff, probably more than two weeks, I'd probably just leave them till at least flower flip, and remove the lower ones at that point and probably keep any other up higher at that point unless they're getting in the way. Looks pretty good though, lovely looking plants, though I never would have guessed they were in veg for 75 days, but you explained that. :thumb:

Thanks for the input and for following, I will leave the ties on for a while. yeh one has been going for 83 days and the other 73 so I just said 75 to make things simpler.

I know it's quite embarrassing but easy enough to understand how I did it. Lessons learnt though for the next grow!

For the beginner people that read this -

- don't top too early
- get a good soil (although I'm yet to get a canna specific one myself - next grow)
- get light hoist and maximise light potential
- ensure sufficient temps
- don't over water, they actually do better once held off on the water, and most importantly don't over feed (go easy on nutrients)

Sorry knighthawk needed to get that out! So many things can and will go wrong I guess.

I'm half keen to get this one out the way, yet at the other time want to get the most out of them. At least I've learnt a lot as far as vegging goes ..

How much longer do you think I need to veg for to get a decent yield? I'd like an OZ a plant or more, if possible. They are sativa so they will stretch.

Oh another question, it is my understanding that after the 3-4 week initial flower stretch the plant will not grow upward much more?

No apologies needed.
Now let me apologize in advance for the rambling I'm gonna do in advice! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I would add to you're good list:
-Don't top too late if doing auto-flower!
-Don't wait to long to start LST if doing auto-flower!

Those are two mistakes I think I've made letting mine get a little to developed before nipping, and training leading me to having so much 'bush' to deal with that normally you might be able to just defoliate but with autos doing so would be major risk\problem of stunting.

I don't think I've made the over-water mistake..yet, if anything I think in my first 15 days I probably under watered a little. Mostly now I go simply by weight, and if they're light (as measured by scale) and more droopy than usual... it's water time.
I sort of made the feeding mistake... tried to start at '1/3rd nutes' at day 21... One plant (WWidow auto) liked it, the other (Candy Cane), thought it was little too much and I should have listened to start with 25% and work up...but complicated cause I don't control my time in 'veg' with autos.. they're on a clock of their own.

Didn't completely fk up the temps\RH... but man I can really close in my first week, thankfully got higher than you want temps under control fairly quick as I dialed in my tent and venting and a\c etc.. everything plays into everything else, takes some time to find the balance.

Yeah I'm only on day 32'ish of my first grow and already I've learned so much, believe it or not so much what 'not to do'... but to be less afraid of doing things, and finding the balance between being paranoid about every little thing I see or notice vs waiting too long to address something real. (I wasted a good week trying to fight what I thought was a problem and wind burn...when it was 80% just a fairly healthy looking WWidow that I was too obsessed over.. though there was little wind issue early on)

To your questions... I'm a noobie so anything I say should be taken with massive grains of salt.. in fact I should not be giving any advise but I will anyway based on what I've read\seen\heard\ etc over the years.

Based just on the pics I see, and you starting some lst today. I would veg for at least two more weeks to get the most out of these that you can. Now that you seem to have stable and dialed in environment, idk if really matters at this point, but maybe they get used to the nice settings and start to make up for some lost time. Since they are sativa or heavy sativa dominate I would keep LST'ing them to keep them as low and wide and not high as you can (without causing other issues). IE today is round one... 2-3 days from now there will be lots of new growth.. get that started in the directions you want too as well, and let that new stuff mature a little. I guess somewhere around day 95-100 (based on oldest plant).. consider the flip...which is on course I think with that you had in mind.

2x2x5.. I'll assume top 12" or so of your tent is lost to 'stuff up there' (or high as your lights can go cause stuff etc) so you've got about 48" to work with minus pots of say 8" = about 40 - minus min light distance before burn, your girls look from picks somewhere around 6-10" now (I'm just guessing). So cause heavy sativa I would plan for near 3x growth, you may only get 2.x but like you I would worry about 3x, so I'd try to keep them below at or below 10" from pot tops at flip". You may have to get creative dropping a net\screen on them. Or maybe screw with "stuff" up at the top such that you can get yourself a few more inches of raising the lights at the end.

One thing on the lst, that pick above the one plant to the northside of the photo, how you have her tied down atm will probably work ok, but make sure on the tail\top ends you've gently bent them even if just for a few moments today\tomorrow... got them to or little beyond the 90degree angle. Supposedly without doing that you risk just training growth, but if you make sure to do that it will trigger even more new lateral tops to grow off those branches. Kind of difficult to do atm I guess till they clear the pot edge. Anyway I guess what I'm saying is pic is fine but in a day or two try get them even more bent over so eventually you almost have those 4 stems growing outward at just above the pot top. I could be wrong, but if you do that and give them about 7-15 days you probably could end up with 4-8 more top points total that are relatively even when you switch to flower.

Yes I've read that generally speaking the big-stretch that happens does so in that first 1-6 weeks (given a 8-10 week flower), that the last couple weeks while buds fatten up and there may be some minor height growth generally they shouldn't get much taller in the later weeks, it's mostly front loaded. Stains can be different and all that but as a general rule that's what I've heard\read most.

I have no idea how much you'll get Z wise out of these two, cause I have no idea how much I'll get out of mine, haha.
I think a oz dry per plant is not an unreasonable assumption and if that's you're line for success I think you may reach it.

I originally sort of assumed I could get 3 dry z's out the two plants I'm growing, and I'd have considered that good outcome, after growing for a month or so I would now consider that result close to amazing if it happens (I doubt it), I've dialed back my success marker to 1z dry per plant like you, and 1.5 total as 'not a failure' should try again. Less than that... idk yet how I'm gonna feel, don't want to focus on it haha.

Cheers man. I will manipulate them more as new growth occurs.

I was worried about space as well with the "sativa stretch" yeh the smaller one before I tied down is 7" and the larger older was 9"

They are actually going pretty well considering the way they were before.

I wasn't going to train them and considered flipping as I was getting impatient, but your right and I will veg them for maybe up to a month, I've already gone over my time I was allowing. We'll see how the ladies go I guess. They are 12 week flowering strains or approx 75 days according to that strain finder database

Omg I have the worst luck the LST was too intense for it, adjusted ever so slightly and I've got a break in my main stem now. I taped it as best as I could. Any idea of how long recovery is for something like that? I can take a pic it's too clustered and hectic

Omg I have the worst luck the LST was too intense for it, adjusted ever so slightly and I've got a break in my main stem now. I taped it as best as I could. Any idea of how long recovery is for something like that? I can take a pic it's too clustered and hectic

Just tape it up tight with medical\felty-clothy tape.. or electrical or duct will do if you have it.
Then let it be for at least a few days 4-5? (or longer depending on how bad it was), don't stress that area (more than already have it), then remove gently (if not clothy type tape that breathes) and re-wrap then for few more days, chances are it'll repair itself fine over the course of a week to 10 days or so I think, maybe even quicker.

I didn't do it to my main..
But I did snap one of my four key outward stems\branches while LST'ing about 7-8 days ago pretty bad\deep too about 2\3rd the branch. Duct'd it up (I've since replaced with medical tape), and left that branch alone for a couple days. I lost some leaves but for the most part she's recovering now and new growth happening like I never did it anything to it (other then in general growth is like a 4-5 days behind others). I lost 2 leaves over it which I removed around day 7, and I nipped forward 1/3ed of some of the dead parts of some other leaves related to it leaving what seems for now at least as still alive and active.

Learned my lesson... session one I was too gentle... and session two I was too aggressive\not paying enough attention to where my fingers were\were not. Don't feel too bad, seems pretty common that along the line most people end up snapping a branch or stem at some point.

Just tape it up tight with medical\felty-clothy tape.. or electrical or duct will do if you have it.
Then let it be for at least a few days 4-5? (or longer depending on how bad it was), don't stress that area (more than already have it), then remove gently (if not clothy type tape that breathes) and re-wrap then for few more days, chances are it'll repair itself fine over the course of a week to 10 days or so I think, maybe even quicker.

I didn't do it to my main..
But I did snap one of my four key outward stems\branches while LST'ing about 7-8 days ago pretty bad\deep too about 2\3rd the branch. Duct'd it up (I've since replaced with medical tape), and left that branch alone for a couple days. I lost some leaves but for the most part she's recovering now and new growth happening like I never did it anything to it (other then in general growth is like a 4-5 days behind others). I lost 2 leaves over it which I removed around day 7, and I nipped forward 1/3ed of some of the dead parts of some other leaves related to it leaving what seems for now at least as still alive and active.

Learned my lesson... session one I was too gentle... and session two I was too aggressive\not paying enough attention to where my fingers were\were not. Don't feel too bad, seems pretty common that along the line most people end up snapping a branch or stem at some point.

Phew . yeh I literally just moved it a bit it must have been at stress point the first time. Ok that's alright will give the smaller one time to equal it (haha gotta see a positive in it somewhere lol)

I could only find duct tape panicking but I know we have medical tape here so I'll use that in a day or two when I find it.

Will the branches still grow somewhat or will it concentrate its energy to that point?

This all happened when I was giving it a water only (no nutes) ph 5.9

Subbed.
Sounds like you had many of the same issues I while learning the plant.
Sorry to hear the stem broke but I have read plenty of people taping things up.

I'm in my first grow, but if I would give advice it would be this:

My successes so far have been when I identify an issue, I stop.

Research, research, research, sleep on it (if its not a real emergency) then make a decision. Most of the time.

When I have acted rashly, I will mess something up. Tried to carry too many cups amd dropped seedlings, misread instructions added 1 tbsp instead of 1 tsp. (Luckily seaweed extract so only minor nitrogen burn)

I vegged for about 60 days and with 3 strains. Some were stunted, overwatered, dropped, others thriving.

All had lst and hst of different types.

Monster cropped one that slowed it down but now after 24 days in flower not only did it catch up with the rest, it will be close for largest production. (AK48 #4 if you are following my grow).

Along for the ride and keep it growing!

Thanks bro. I'll have a look at your journal

Yep it sure is a learning curve

To be honest I'm more looking forward to the next grow. But if this is salvageable and I get enough bud for a few months I'll be happy .

I'll have to look at the seed stash and what strains would pair well together etc. one thing I know I will do is use smaller pots and do 3

I have a 4x4x7 tent I can set up easily enough. It was set up. I was going to do a perpetual but due to fire risk etc (only one PowerPoint in the room) I chose not to and dissembled it.
I have another 300w Mars but it's going to a friend. If I use an additional one in this process it will be a Meizhi 450w making a total of 1350 watts I can use.
However I will probably set it up to replace the current 2x2x5

Electricity is expensive where i live (that's an understatement) so I really am just trying to keep things simple first time around.

Phew . yeh I literally just moved it a bit it must have been at stress point the first time. Ok that's alright will give the smaller one time to equal it (haha gotta see a positive in it somewhere lol)

I could only find duct tape panicking but I know we have medical tape here so I'll use that in a day or two when I find it.

Will the branches still grow somewhat or will it concentrate its energy to that point?

This all happened when I was giving it a water only (no nutes) ph 5.9

Haha I did exactly the same thing.. panicked couldn't find my med tape in first 60 seconds so just used duct tape that was in the room.

I don't really know about the branches, because you broke the main is sound like. In my case as just a branch and the other main 3 just kept on tucking like nothing happened. If I had to guess I wouldn't expect any growth for a week or so if its anything but a minor tear, you might even see some problems on some of the branches over the next couple days (leaves shriveling etc), all you can do I think is basically let it play out... I thought my branch was a total goner on day 2 post break...from how things looked but to my surprise she came back.

5.9? for soil? (keep doing what's working good for you, but that seems kind of low)

knighthawktfc;35569075.9? for soil? (keep doing what's working good for you said:
Yeh it was a bit low but I went with it, just wanted to give it a bit of a flush etc. I'll hit it with some 6.5 nutes as well in a few days when I change that tape.

Alright thanks for the heads up Re the break I will just wait it out ✌️

Don't stress the bend or break. I did it with a seedling I hit in the tent and it took 2 days to recover.

Just tape and or zip tie. I would also not go looking under the tape for the remainder of the grow or at least a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom