Southern's Little Garden Of Health & Healing

Thanks! I've been trying to get out of the western mindset of results results results yield yield yield!! And more into an eastern mindset that gardening can be a time of reflection, intention, and being in the moment. I appreciate my time in the garden as my zen time, just me and the plants instead of it being another chore to do today. Also, lots of training helps with my ADD instead of 3 months of water and wait, repeat.
I do have to give a lot of credit to visiting a local Japanese botanical garden where i sat and admired a 400 year old pear tree that had been meticulously trained into a 4' tall bonsai. The western mentality would say "that's so dumb, that's the worst way to produce pears ever" and the eastern mentality would say "generations have taken the time and patience to nurture and train this tiny tree into the beautiful specimen it is"
Am i saying that I want to make a bonsai fruit tree? No, but it did inspire me as a grower to garden with intention instead of results, a painting where every brush stroke has meaning will be more beautiful than one that was just a labor of putting paint on a surface.
Silly i guess

Yes, she's been in veg waaay too long at least 6 months. But she will hopefully produce a wonderful harvest too!

Today is the day! Flipped the monster scrog Afghan into 12/12 along with all of the cuttings that need sexing!
Moved a few of the juice bottle basils to the back porch and my driveway tomatoes are putting on some fruit!

20210102_003620.jpg

20210102_003229.jpg

20201231_161759.jpg

20201231_161737.jpg

Got a decent amount of stuff done tonight!
Yesterday I soaked down a new coco brick and today was ready to do some transplanting!
Mostly moved some of the baby san marzano tomatoes to slightly bigger pots. I usually have a lot of tomato
growing blues between the moths, caterpillars, bugs, humidity, you name it! But really want to make an effort
to keep these girls alive! Really trying to space out our trips to the grocery store ya know?
Took down the bubble cloner for cleaning later and put remaining half rooted cuts into small pots of coco.
Honestly I'm okay if they make it or not as I have other clones going, etc.
Sowed some more spinach, salad greens, and some dwarf marigolds to see if they'll help repel pests indoors?

Speaking of...on yesterday's hydro store run I picked up two more packs of yellow sticky traps and tonight hung them above the canopy of the monster scrog and before I could give the stem a good shake at least a hundred whiteflies flew right into them within seconds! That was amazing!! Hopefully between the safersoap and sticky traps I can get these bastards under control...

The monster scrog is doing well, already getting into a little stretch with some tight node spacing, so fingers crossed!

AND last but not least I chopped the little white widow x big bud auto. She had a few clear trichs and a few amber but mostly cloudy so I figured what the heck, wasn't planning to smoke her right before bed anyways.
Either I did something wrong or the label was misprinted because I didn't see anything "big" on her at all. She was a petite little thing with a few frosty lil nugs on her. After plucking some fan leaves my hands smelled of lemon zest! Mmmmm now I'm anxious to try a few puffs when she's dry in the next few weeks.

Also, some of the cuttings being sexed in the bloom cabinet are already popping roots! Woot! That was fast!

Well, that's all for now!

20210103_193212.jpg

20210103_191946.jpg

20210103_191924.jpg

20210103_190111.jpg

20210103_185547.jpg

20210103_185012.jpg

Today my free sample of Lost Coast plant therapy arrived! Thanks @Moto258 for the suggestion!
Looking forward to trying it out. The additional yellow traps right above the canopy seem to have done a HUGE
number on the adult whitefly population but I'm sure there's more to come...grrr
so on that note now that I'm day 4 into flower I figured it's time to defoliate the bottom of the canopy which was quite a task. A lot of hard to reach spaces and I will definitely be plucking lower leaves and stems for a while. But after like a half hour crouching under the plant and plucking I was able to fill a 3 gal nursery pot with leaves and stems.
Starting to stack up lots of colas, so let's gooo!
Also, her stem is getting pretty thick too!

20210105_004006.jpg

20210104_231433.jpg

20210104_231317.jpg

20210104_231251.jpg

20210104_221727.jpg

Today my free sample of Lost Coast plant therapy arrived! Thanks @Moto258 for the suggestion!
Looking forward to trying it out. The additional yellow traps right above the canopy seem to have done a HUGE
number on the adult whitefly population but I'm sure there's more to come...grrr
so on that note now that I'm day 4 into flower I figured it's time to defoliate the bottom of the canopy which was quite a task. A lot of hard to reach spaces and I will definitely be plucking lower leaves and stems for a while. But after like a half hour crouching under the plant and plucking I was able to fill a 3 gal nursery pot with leaves and stems.
Starting to stack up lots of colas, so let's gooo!
Also, her stem is getting pretty thick too!

20210105_004006.jpg

20210104_231433.jpg

20210104_231317.jpg

20210104_231251.jpg

20210104_221727.jpg
Very welcome my friend. I’d make sure to test a small section of the plant with it first to see how she reacts to the product to be safe. But to be honest if you use it as recommended you’ll be fine I’ve used it on every kind of plant so far with no issues depending on how many you have it could take a week or so to notice much but you’ll start to notice white dead bastards all over the leaves. No worries tho I would just continue to spay weekly until the first week in flower and cut off from there. Spray until you see the leaves dripping underneath the leaves first then soak the tops. Once the product gets on the leaves as long as your not in high humidity during flower it sticks around on the leaves and I’ve noticed the bugs kinda ignore the plant from there. I’ve only used it outdoors but I do spray the top of the soil every so often to try and keep them from coming up the plant. Them sticky traps are prolly the greatest thing and I definitely use the crap out of them lol!! Hanging ones and folding ones that lay in the buckets.
I’m loving that plant tho my friend I can’t wait to see the adventure take place, and damn right that stem is huge!!! By the end of flower you could use that thing for bating practice lmao!!:rofl:
Cheers my friend looking great!!:passitleft:

Tonight while checking on the garden i noticed that i have this afghani clone (daughter of the monster scrog) who was sitting in the back of the veg tent who shot straight up. Super leggy with huge gaps in the node spacing. I thought about topping her but her nodes are doing that weird offset thing that clones do and she will soon need transplanting. That's when the idea kicked in to train her in a circle. But what about when she fills out the circle? What if...i train her in a spiral to keep going with each transplant! And all of the lateral branches will shoot straight up! Why not?? See sketch
So i started that.
Also, started LST on some of the other small plants.
More of the cuttings in the bloom cabinet are popping roots and hopefully soon we'll have signs of sex on them too.

Monster scrog is continuing to stretch and show me her colas. Not as even as i had hoped and now I'm asking myself if i should slow down the tallest ones or just say screw it and let her do what she wants? Hmmm

20210106_014353.jpg

20210106_001943.jpg

20210106_001201.jpg

20210106_001148.jpg

Checked on the garden tonight to find the monster scrog well on her way into flowering. Stacking up some nice little colas! Looking forward to seeing what she does over the next few weeks! Dusted off the ole bloom nutes and gave her a big drink of the good stuff. Hope she likes it!
Everyone else seems to be doing okay. A little branch bending in the veg tent and the salad greens are looking happy. Got some volunteer tomatoes in one of my outdoor containers that I might repot and try to grow out. Gotta give them a shot if they're that tough!

20210107_223929.jpg

20210107_223914.jpg

20210107_223851.jpg

20210107_010525.jpg

Damn bro, shes bouncing now :high-five:like to see how youre going to handle this stretch. Seriously flower production about to start. Great job bro
Hopefully being a 6 week strain she won't stretch too much because I'm running out of room!!

Tonight I found a nice surprise, the cutting for northern lights #1 is a girl! NL#2 still too early and i think I saw a few teeny white hairs on NL#3. Pakistani 1&2 haven't shown anything yet but that's ok, I'm in no rush...they've got at least 4 plants in line ahead of them.
Speaking of, i had so much fun training the monster scrog Afghan that my ADD has kicked in and ive got a few ideas to play with while some of the girls wait their turn...
We've seen the beginning of the circle Afghan clone, now what to do with this mango?? Think i might keep it a mystery!
Let's just say to train her this flat this early should make her stem super thick and strong for whatever craziness i put her through! Yes, I'm training her down a horizontal bamboo stake!

20210109_010732.jpg

20210109_010642.jpg

20210109_010535.jpg

Thanks! Last night i pulled out the purple haze and biggest northern lights for a little training and cleanup and I'm not sure how I'm going to keep them under control while the Afghan finishes flowering! I really was going to flip the scrog sooner and probably should have but really wanted that full canopy! Confirmed that NL3 is a lady and starting to have my suspicions about NL2...hmmm.
Meanwhile the white widow auto had dried enough to buck and bag (i only remove leaves over 1/2"). She didn't yield a bunch but lordy it smells good! I put a tiny popcorn bud in my bowl to sample and 10 seconds later i had a pleasant cerebral buzz that was warm and clear headed. That was nice! She's supposed to be white widow x big bud but I'd say they forgot to add the big bud LOL. It's alright, just messing around with her she's SUPER frosty though!

20210110_024041.jpg

20210110_015230.jpg

Tonight I dug into the monster scrog and continued defoliation but this time I was on the hunt for wimpy shoots and sucker branches especially the ones below the canopy. Something i always mean to do and forget come trim time and I'm wrangling satellite buds all over the place. Hopefully this will help because it's been a pain staying on top of it, only got fly trap glue in my hair twice! Surely i missed some and it was not easy watching my full canopy get thinner BUT hopefully this cleanup will pay off with quality colas and less larf!
Everyone else is doing well, still keeping an eye on the clones being sexed. Popped some more salad seeds last week and they're starting to come in now as well.

20210110_231614.jpg

20210110_231555.jpg

They look so good. Speaking of fly traps...there was a really gross scene in Nightmare on Elm Street 2 where this chick gets stuck in a Roach Motel. Skeeved me out as a kid and I still think about it each time I tangle with fly paper. Blech
Thanks! I said fly trap but technically it was a yellow sticky trap thingy with the gooey glue

Tonight I checked on the garden and everything seems to be going well.
The monster scrog Afghan is stacking on some nice bud sites and despite my defoliation the canopy is still nice and full. Some of the colas in the middle are stretching more than those on the outside so I'm playing around with some low wattage LED bars to see if i can coax some extra growth from them for a more uniform canopy.
It's still a little early to tell but northern lights #2 might be a female but still not too sure. Same goes for Pakistani #1.

Meanwhile in the veg tent the purple haze and northern lights girls are continuing to fill out nicely and soon will need transplanting. I've got a few unused 7 gal pots ready to go.
The circular Afghan clone is starting to recover from the heavy training shock as well as the mango that's being stretched horizontally across the bamboo stake.
Things are finally starting to get interesting!

20210114_234401.jpg

20210114_234336.jpg

20210114_234327.jpg

20210114_233540.jpg

20210114_233326.jpg

Tonight I checked on the garden to see that the monster scrog is starting to put on some tiny trichs and some tight little buds. Not as uniform height as i was hoping for but we'll see.
I added some bloom boost powder and mammoth P to her nute mix so she can fatten up in the coming days.

All 3 northern lights clones are female and Pakistani 1 is as well. Still waiting for Pakistani 2 to reveal.
Purple haze is looking great!

20210116_234132.jpg

20210116_234054.jpg

20210116_234030.jpg

Back
Top Bottom