Spring Sippin' With MEVOOP, Bubba Kush & Amnesia Lemon

Sweet growing! Aloe went in my SIP rez all the time. So when my leaves are shiny my mind goes to thinking what a happy plant she is! As far as I know when we see that, and they're growing well, they have a high brix level and that's great! Anybody else have comment on that? I think it's a feather in your cap You did well!

I'm about to start up soon and I'll want to give them a little help from above before they see the rez water. Last time I gave her nothing and I think it prolonged the agony. Good reading here! Nice work!

Hi everyone! Things are moving right along, nothing too important to go over other than the amnesia lemon, sad to say, lost her battle with my clumsiness. The day after making the split (on accident of course) her branch was turning towards the light and I thought all would be well. I left them alone a few days, just peeking in once a day to make sure nothing is going wonky. Today, however, that branch looked weak and sad. The stem and leaves were drying out, so it got cut. It's a shame, for sure, but I'm not too upset about. I waited too long to begin training, so lesson learned!

The other two are looking great. All 3 of them really look awesome, and the growth rate is steady. The bubba kush is definitely growing faster than the other two and is now on a separate watering schedule as she's going through her res at almost twice the speed of the other two.

Over the last few days I've been readjusting their ties, and today they received another haircut to open up the middle and remove the nodes that are facing down. I only want nodes which are growing up or from the sides of the main stems (which are now sideways.)

And finally a full tent shot. Last time I flipped the SIPs once the 4 mains reached the sides of the bucket. This gave me beautiful, mid-size plants. This time I want more size, so I'm planning on aggressively training them as flat as I can, potentially wrapping the 4 mains around the rim of the bucket. Once they're more filled in, they'll be flipped.

Sweet growing! Aloe went in my SIP rez all the time. So when my leaves are shiny my mind goes to thinking what a happy plant she is! As far as I know when we see that, and they're growing well, they have a high brix level and that's great! Anybody else have comment on that? I think it's a feather in your cap You did well!

I'm about to start up soon and I'll want to give them a little help from above before they see the rez water. Last time I gave her nothing and I think it prolonged the agony. Good reading here! Nice work!

Thanks Stone! In searching about the 'wax' on the leaves I did see where some folks say it's high-brix. Then I saw more folks arguing it's not high-brix, it's nitrogen toxicity. I think I'm wrapped up in killing them if I feed too much, hence the earlier discussions on synthetic nutes in the res. I'm interested in seeing what other people say about the waxiness of the leaves, does anyone else have an opinion on that?

They grow up so quickly. Nice job!!!

Thanks Vipar!

Sorry about the lost branch but it's a damn fine thing it happened in early veg...more growth everywhere else!

Both my synthetic-nute-fed SIP and SWICK have some huge waxy fans (just did a defol today). To me it just means they're happy!

20230616_094720 GM fans.jpg

Hi everyone! This update is just about the same as the last: over the last week or so it's just a matter of monitoring the reservoirs on all 3 buckets and spreading out the branches to get a nice, even, flat canopy. Nothing new to report, other than when making some cuts today all 3 have distinct smells, especially on the stems of the fans that were removed. The Amnesia Lemon has a potent citrus smell, quite surprising as I've never grown a lemon strain before. The MEVOOP wasn't as discernible, but it's almost a cross between gas and citrus. Not quite as strong as the amnesia lemon. The bubba kush though is almost straight spice. It brings me back to an Eastern spiced tea...I think I mentioned that earlier in the journal. Reminds me of a spiced chai latte too. Something spicy about it...and I love it!

Here they are before any adjustments.

And here they are after cutting away fans and growth tips. As a reminder these are all being Quadlined, so I remove any inward-facing fans that block the light to growth sites, and also any growth (new branching and fans) that are facing down towards the floor. I missed a few of those my last grow and the resulting curve from these things growing down, then back up toward the light, was pretty gnarly. I want to avoid that this time, so I spend more time looking everything over and removing what doesn't need to be there.

And here we have a canopy pic. The amnesia lemon is now the tallest because the distance between her nodes is 4-5 times the distance of the nodes on the other two plants. However the amount of node sites on the MEVOOP and bubba kush are almost 4-5 times the amount on the amnesia lemon. So, we'll see how this goes.

Thanks for stopping in!

Sorry about the lost branch but it's a damn fine thing it happened in early veg...more growth everywhere else!

Both my synthetic-nute-fed SIP and SWICK have some huge waxy fans (just did a defol today). To me it just means they're happy!

20230616_094720 GM fans.jpg

Thanks for the pic Shed! That's exactly what my leaves looked like, so that makes me more confident working with the synthetic nutes. Even though I used them last time so I can say I'm confident now of course, however, I know mid-flower the two SIP plants from my last cycle needed flushed. I'll just keep continuing on with what I'm doing and if they need it, no big deal, I'll make some time and get it done.

And here they are after cutting away fans and growth tips.
Nice job, AC !

My girls look like 2 little shrubs, so they're getting the
same treatment this afternoon..

so I remove any inward-facing fans that block the light to growth sites, and also any growth (new branching and fans) that are facing down towards the floor. I missed a few of those my last grow and the resulting curve from these things growing down, then back up toward the light, was pretty gnarly.
I do the same thing, but also take the corresponding node growing straight up as it will want to become dominant. They can be tied down but I usually have too much middle stuff for my small pots anyway so those are an easy ones to remove.

I do the same thing, but also take the corresponding node growing straight up as it will want to become dominant. They can be tied down but I usually have too much middle stuff for my small pots anyway so those are an easy ones to remove.

I was sitting in my chair going through them this morning and thought I remember the original quad post saying something like that...and then I forgot to check! Hmm okay, so that means I have some additional cutting to do. Thanks for bringing that to my attention! I was just thinking I need to tie them down because I still have another 2 weeks to flip (or thereabouts) and they're growing too tall. Cutting it is!

Nice job, AC !

My girls look like 2 little shrubs, so they're getting the
same treatment this afternoon..

Thanks Carcass! I really like how yours are looking so far, excellent!

Thanks again Azi for sticking around and setting me straight every once and a while! Seriously, your call-outs are directly contributing to my success, and I appreciate it very much!

Cuts have been made and we're even more open for business.

Now I wouldn't be human if I didn't screw something up, and this wouldn't be a journal if I didn't point it out. Take a look at the northwest quadrant on the Bubba Kush and you'll see a missing branch. Annoyingly I ran out of skewers (yes, I'm blaming that!) so I needed to use two hooks for one skewer. In doing so, another branch bites the dust. No matter! She has plenty of nodes, we're not in flower, so everything will be fine.

Take a look at the northwest quadrant on the Bubba Kush and you'll see a missing branch.
Quadline, tri-line, whatever- she'll fill in the blank spot in no time...
I've broken off 5 or 6 in my grows...thankfully, not all on the same plant... 🙂

Highya AC,

Quadline training looks like a lot of work. Will these make a canopy full of huge buds? Is the main stalk going to hold together? Very nice job. I wish you well, especially at harvest time! Happy Smokin'

Highya AC,

Quadline training looks like a lot of work. Will these make a canopy full of huge buds? Is the main stalk going to hold together? Very nice job. I wish you well, especially at harvest time! Happy Smokin'

Hey Bode! Thanks for the kind words! Quadlining isn't anymore work than just looking over the plants every few days and making adjustments on the stakes. The same thing that someone would do with a scrog net. However, with quad, the plants are now mobile and can be turned for access to problems. The main stems get bulky and don't require any yo-yos or other support, but I did experience a lean in one of my mains on the last cycle so I taped a bamboo stake to the bucket and the cola was secure. And I was still able to rotate the buckets (they're all on plant caddies) or move them around the tent for checking out development, problems, etc.

The pattern is established to create a nice, flat canopy of monster buds. It provides/promotes airflow between the colas and lowers the risk of mildew and pests. Instead of having popcorn or larfy buds towards the bottom of a traditionally grown plant (no LST done to it) every bud site on a quadlined plant will become dense colas. With a non-LST plant you'd have one main cola: the main stalk of the plant. With quadlining you can have as many budsites as you want as long as you keep her in veg and have the space for it.

If that sounds great and interesting definitely take a peek at the quadlining thread, they go into much more detail!

Hey everyone! Another week down and things are still looking great. This grow really has been on rails, all I do is feed when the res is low (every 3-4 days or so, just depends) and adjust their ties. However, good news is just around the corner, I'm estimating flip to be within the next 12 days, but most likely before. The blueberries the last grow were flipped at day 68 and we're on day 56 now, and these have already filled in more area as I didn't mess up the training this time! (Thanks again Azi, lol).

The amnesia lemon did not receive any cutting or tie-adjustment today because there just isn't any room to do so. If I start laying her 3 mains flat, she'll be entirely too big for this 3x3 tent, so the clock is kinda ticking on getting her, specifically, flipped. To level the playing field so to speak, the easiest solution to get all 3 plants on the same level is to put something under the bubba kush and the mevoop so all 3 canopies are at the same height. This isn't needed right now, but it will be during stretch.

The mevoop and the bubba kush have reached the outside of their buckets, so I won't be tying anything down anymore. They're free to grow up 2-3 inches, which should take a week or so. Once that happens, we'll flip!

Thanks for stopping in!

Highya AC,

Love that quadline look! very meticulous work. Looks like you did a very good job. Will be fun to see how big the colas get! Happy Smokin'

Hey everyone! Another week down and things are still looking great. This grow really has been on rails, all I do is feed when the res is low (every 3-4 days or so, just depends) and adjust their ties. However, good news is just around the corner, I'm estimating flip to be within the next 12 days, but most likely before. The blueberries the last grow were flipped at day 68 and we're on day 56 now, and these have already filled in more area as I didn't mess up the training this time! (Thanks again Azi, lol).

The amnesia lemon did not receive any cutting or tie-adjustment today because there just isn't any room to do so. If I start laying her 3 mains flat, she'll be entirely too big for this 3x3 tent, so the clock is kinda ticking on getting her, specifically, flipped. To level the playing field so to speak, the easiest solution to get all 3 plants on the same level is to put something under the bubba kush and the mevoop so all 3 canopies are at the same height. This isn't needed right now, but it will be during stretch.

The mevoop and the bubba kush have reached the outside of their buckets, so I won't be tying anything down anymore. They're free to grow up 2-3 inches, which should take a week or so. Once that happens, we'll flip!

Thanks for stopping in!
Beautiful plants, AC!

Highya AC,

Love that quadline look! very meticulous work. Looks like you did a very good job. Will be fun to see how big the colas get! Happy Smokin'

Hey Bode, I appreciate it! I'm going to let them grow vertically a bit more than I did on my last plants, hopefully to have just a bit more stretch, which should mean just a bit more product!

Beautiful plants, AC!

On point bro.
:popcorn:

Yep they look great Aspen! Happy campers! :hookah:

Thanks Grateful, Danishoes, and Stone! I appreciate you all being here :cool:

Nice and green and really getting their shape set for flower! Are those pvc caps custom made on your 3D printer?

Thanks Shed! And yes, they are. When I built the first two originally for my last grow I had a very mild fungus gnat infestation. I was worried about them finding that hole and breeding in the res, then I'd never be able to get them out (sure, I could use SNS or Bits or whatever...but I didn't even want that to come up as a problem). I still wanted air flow so didn't want to cap them off, and didn't have any type of panty-hose material to stretch and affix. But what I did happen to have on hand was the printer, so voila!

Hello everyone! Unfortunately I experienced a medical emergency last week and have been unable to put together an update since then. Between appointments, work, and being zonked on medication, I finally feel well enough to do more than just water the plants.

Which, by the way, I've already mentioned it several times so you're probably sick of it but here I go again: I would have had a much harder time if I needed to do more to this grow than what's been needed this past week. Because of the nature of the SIP containers, I just feed or water every few days and clip some fans or troublesome nodes every now and then and bada bing bada boom it grows itself. This capability has helped immensely over the last two weeks.

Back on track, the entire tent was flipped last Sunday, on Day 61. There has been quite a bit of upward growth since then, as you can see in the pics. What worked for me last time was to flip the tent and allow the plants to grow up from 18" away from the light to 12" from the light. At that point I'll start moving the light up as need be. In another few days I'll also be ramping up the ViparSpectra KS2500 from 75% to 100% as suggested. The canopies are not even (flat) at this moment in time, but it's on my radar. I just need to get the energy to find something in the house to put under the buckets or go get something. I'm not terribly concerned with it today, but perhaps this weekend.

Thanks for stopping by and reading! Nothing terribly exciting going on, which in some ways is a good thing! It makes for a boring journal, sure, but I'd rather have a boring journal with no pests/problems then frantically trying to diagnose stuff!

Back
Top Bottom