Sqwheels' Garden - Bonsai Style

re: Sqwheels' Garden - Bonsai Style

Buckshot,

:yahoo: that fabulous! about the moonshine. Did you post pics? I'll go look...I want to see the s girls

Your welcome...happy to have helped someone else ... :battingeyelashes: gotta love those KISS methods

:peace:
Sq

lol 60ish huh? well i hear that often i feel 80 most days, i have many physical problems that torment me, a sixer of herniated discs working on my second DVT/blood clot knees are blown out and need replacing, morbidly obese despite 1000 calorie a day diet, blah blah the list goes on, im prideful of my intellect im borderline obsessive about learning, so my theory is all the stuff i know makes me seem older lol, your a couple older than I,

im gonna try a few different ways of floating the clones with 3 different waters i have city tap,my well water and ro, and i wanna try a bubble stone method so we'll see how they work,
you could do what i and many others have done ,2 liter hempies,w/coco pearlite mix, i proved you can get great results with the bpn 7 part organic line and coco hempies, you would love the bud its so flavorful and potent, thats basically what im doing now( i just cut the coco to approx 60/40 soil ,coco,,) plants grow fast like hydro in cocoand its pretty light ,i dont recall if you have used it or not, just some thoughts and ideas for you to ponder.
well i need to go upload this weeks vids see ya later:thumb:

Hey there, Sqwheels! I wanted you to know I have officially checked out your journal, and my WW are doing great!

Thank you,
Your friend to the north ;)

Oh, and congrats on PotM!

bid,

I agree with your theory...wisdom

isn't the coco heavy when wet? and I had horrible algae with the 2L hempy, I've pretty much ditched that idea...my yield was low. I really happy with the bonsai in hempy squares at this point...they produce well and are very managable. but I will keep it in mind, organic would most definately produce the cleanest buds.

what im doing now( i just cut the coco to approx 60/40 soil ,coco,,)
this sounds heavy

What does your well water ppm/pH to? Do you know what's in it? We had well water as kid, I remember it tasting like a mineral, iron maybe...actually I loved it.

Sq

HMG,

grab a chair and a doobie and relax, this will move pretty slow til fall...just training the bonsai's for now, will flower in sep/oct.

So happy to have you, hope all is well with you and yours.

PixxelPusher,

How nice that I'm your first post... :welcome: to my journal and to :420:

I'm sure you'll find as much to love here as we all have...grab a seat and get comfy, this is a great community

Post a couple pics of those ww here if you want to I'd love to see them...be sure to read the rules of posting pics, you have to basically give them to 420mag, but you can personalize them if you wish

Sq

bid,

I agree with your theory...wisdom

isn't the coco heavy when wet? and I had horrible algae with the 2L hempy, I've pretty much ditched that idea...my yield was low. I really happy with the bonsai in hempy squares at this point...they produce well and are very managable. but I will keep it in mind, organic would most definately produce the cleanest buds.

what im doing now( i just cut the coco to approx 60/40 soil ,coco,,)
this sounds heavy

What does your well water ppm/pH to? Do you know what's in it? We had well water as kid, I remember it tasting like a mineral, iron maybe...actually I loved it.

Sq
yeah its sorta heavy but i was not suggesting you go with my soil coco mix just coco, coco can be heavy depends on the size container,, thats odd you had low yield and algae hmm maybe it was not real clean coco, did you wash it real well? i have great yields with coco and so does everyone i know of that uses it, was the algae on top or inside the hempys? i put a layer of hydroton on top to prevent that and get full use of the coco,saves water too, you gotta paint the outside of the containers black to prevent light transmission, did you mix in pearlite with your coco, some brands are to fine and hold to much water by themselves ,
my well water is nasty it smells like a fart the hot water side anyway, near as i can tell its sulfur,iron and manganese, along with a ton of calcium and lime, the ppm is average 850 the ph is 7 we dont drink it or cook with it, it taste like rusty nails or a bloody nose! the landlord is supposed to put in an ro system, im picky i drink good water, i cut the well water with ro for the plants sometimes

Hi Folks :ciao:

Monday Update ...I uploaded something like 40-50 pics this week, lots going on here, if you want to see them all go to my photo gallery. Wow the babes grow so quick when they are young

lets start with the clones...

Blue Widow-clipped 6-21...I didn't think this cutting would root easily because it didn't fit any of the criteria I thought made a good cut, it was shorter than I usually take, only 4 nodes, and woody/stiff and kinda tough to the touch...I was real surprised to see these little roots @ 10 days
DSCN24042.JPG

I took pics every couple days until I planted her
DSCN24421.JPG

I was afraid to let these go any longer...they need nutes
DSCN24641.JPG

She looks happy this morning, if a little dusty from the transplant
DSCN24711.JPG

up next Northern Lights x Big Bud...clipped 6-19, same senerio..tho the root growth not quite as impressive
DSCN2406.JPG

DSCN24431.JPG

also looking happy this morning
DSCN24721.JPG

I did the same to 3 Wonder Woman, clipped 6-19 just to watch it happen again, I don't want any more at this point so these 3 ended up in the trash...but the results were the same, with the exception of one cutting, the longest cutting...bid asked me about them touching the bottom of the cup. the pics tell the tale
DSCN2409.JPG

DSCN2445.JPG

I'm confident if I had left this it would have popped many roots by now...all those little bumps would pop to hairs...but I wonder if it has so many because it was touching the bottom of the cup, it was the longest cutting of the 3 and had several nodes above the waterline as well as a longer stem under it
DSCN2448.JPG

with all past experiments the ww took 3 wks to show good roots and these were on that same course, but I needed the room and don't want any more of her right now so in the trash they went

the seedlings are next Blueberry Gum is still my problem child, she has the weirdest look to anything I've grown so far...from the beginning she had severly twisted leaves, she's the smallest in height but has more bush to her that either of the other 2, there are already branchs from her first nodes
DSCN2474.JPG

DSCN24752.JPG

DSCN24762.JPG

Aurora Indica is all bent at the bottom...it's the result of my leaving them too long on the cable box, her tap root was all curled up at time of planting...I planted it sidewaze (sp) and hoped for the best. I plan to top her and take a couple clones asap, hopefully I can get a good one going for this falls flower cycles
DSCN24731.JPG

White Rhino is stretching faster than any seed I've grown so far, she was 6-1/2" this morning, that up 1-1/4" from 2 days ago...I topped her to 3 nodes and stuck her top into a yogurt cup :yahoo: here we go again
DSCN24771.JPG

her top was real short, only 3 nodes and 1 is in the water...this is the smallest one to date, I hope it works.
DSCN2479.JPG

veg room just before lights out tonight...on the left 2 ww bonsai wannabees...looking good, they need a transplant and some tying soon
DSCN2499.JPG

all in all they look pretty good, they are all putting out 5 finger leaves and have healthy looking new growth

ok, the bigger girls are a little unruly. I created a problem for myself by trying the LST method and then ditching that for bonsai, but I'm working with it

Blue Widow
DSCN2497.JPG

Northern Lights x Big Bud
DSCN2493.JPG

Wonder Woman
DSCN2484.JPG

They all seem to be loving the Blue Planet Nutes...I'm feeding the big girls 10ml/g of M/G/B and half that to the seedlings and clones atm

:green_heart:

Sq

looking awesome! i love the bonsai i kinda mix it with lst top and super crop , not sure what to make of the clone that was touching the bottom looks like it was about to explode roots, i have some in rx pill bottles, dont think any are touching, im having such great success with clones that im about to compost a bunch to stay in my limits! great update the moms look great, i wish i could give you some of my bluberry gum clones i have so many lol its a great strain, dont know what up with yours, i think it will straighten out though i have had plants do that and go on to do very well.:thumb:

bid,

thanks...I'm pretty sure they'll straighten out too.

when I grew 2L I was using hempy mix perl/verm 75/25 and grew a pretty healthy algae colony...if you want to look, it's in my last journal, I flushed really good and dumped off all the top mix I could then replaced it with fresh and covered the tops with a piece of black construction paper...the green algae didn't return but brown stuff showed up. I still don't know for sure what was up with that but the bud didn't seem to suffer from it. It tastes like all the other.

since its hydro (passive) i would guess the brown stuff was pythium was it at all snot like? i may go look, seems i have gotten behind on my journals only following like 60 lol ima big fan of 2l hempy w/coco, i have grown some monsters that way, i like that i can use organics in coco so i still get the hydro like growth with a organic soil like taste, but im ever experimenting, you just never know what i'll do next hell i dont know! i will when im doing it!

Hey Sqwheels! Lots of things going on for sure! Everything's looking great though. :thumb:

On the algae...I remember back when we had a hempy thread, I think the consensus was to only pour the water/nutes into one spot of the pot. Supposedly if you don't let the top get wet it won't grow. If the vermiculite is wicking the moisture to the top anyway, you could try using a top layer of perlite alone. Doc used to grow in hempy buckets with 100% perlite, so I think you'd be fine using it for the top inch or so.

I'll have to check out the other pics in your gallery!

:ganjamon:

bid,
No, the brown stuff was NOT like snot... it was dry, actually, I thought it was dead green algae and that's why it was brown. And if I remember right I reused the grow mix perl/verm 75/25, with that grow...I asked around and the thought was it would be ok to reuse. I don't do that anymore.

I'll have to pay closer attention to the coco grows...maybe I could work it out somehow. I like the idea of organic for sure.

Hi Vape,

I've read Doc's journal with 100% perl, and skimmed some others...Doc's got the touch for sure, some real beauties.

I water by slowly drizzling over the entire outside edge of the top surface, trying to wet as much verm as possible so it holds the moisture longer... I've got a couple tiny spots on the littler plants but none on the big girls, water never gets close to their cubes...I think the cubes may contribute to excess moinsture, I try not to get them wet while feeding...that seems to help too. Maybe too much light reaches the surface with the smaller pots...almost no light reaches the medium under a bigger canopy. I'm really not sure how or why I got it, but the 2L w/res was always wet and I blame that. another note...it smelled kinda fishy, like lake water.

Hi Vape,

I've read Doc's journal with 100% perl, and skimmed some others...Doc's got the touch for sure, some real beauties.

I water by slowly drizzling over the entire outside edge of the top surface, trying to wet as much verm as possible so it holds the moisture longer... I've got a couple tiny spots on the littler plants but none on the big girls, water never gets close to their cubes...I think the cubes may contribute to excess moinsture, I try not to get them wet while feeding...that seems to help too. Maybe too much light reaches the surface with the smaller pots...almost no light reaches the medium under a bigger canopy. I'm really not sure how or why I got it, but the 2L w/res was always wet and I blame that. another note...it smelled kinda fishy, like lake water.

Hi Sqwheels -

Just curious as I've never grown a perlite hempy like that, but what would happen if you put a layer of hydroton balls on top of everything? I do this with my coco plants so I don't have exposed organic material (prevents algae from forming where the rapid rooter is, and discourages bugs, etc.). I also like that it makes less of a "watering dent" this way so it's easier to water and anywhere you want. I just don't know if it would "weigh down" the perlite, etc., but it's a handy little trick on my coco plants that I learned from OMM I think (he does this on his soil plants). Just a thought!

Looking good Sqwheels. I'm really impressed by how effective your cloning is despite it's incredible simplicity. Thanks for sharing it all and proving it doesn't need to be very complicated! :bravo:

hope you get your alge under control, I saw you were into the drags. did you happen to make it to summit raceway this weekend?

brown algae sounds about right then, about pyth its a bacteria that lives in most water except maybe r/o, its just thay a hydro setup is like a petri? dish and it can grow like crazy unless you put chemicals in, so yeah yukky stuff it freaked me out last week! i bleached my whole house more or less!!lol
some growers swear by coco claiming its the future of all growing, i know its great stuff easy to work with more forgiving than most other medium and offers a bit of a ph buffer unlike say pearlite,
everything i have going except the newest clones are in coco/pearlite mix the only reason im trying soil again is i want to try high brix, even my soil is almost half coco, so i think you might benefit from giving it a try and again the fact that you can use organic nutes in it is a massive plus imho
btw i put up 4 new vids yesterday )winkwink) :thumb:

Hi Sqwheels -

Just curious as I've never grown a perlite hempy like that, but what would happen if you put a layer of hydroton balls on top of everything? I do this with my coco plants so I don't have exposed organic material (prevents algae from forming where the rapid rooter is, and discourages bugs, etc.). I also like that it makes less of a "watering dent" this way so it's easier to water and anywhere you want. I just don't know if it would "weigh down" the perlite, etc., but it's a handy little trick on my coco plants that I learned from OMM I think (he does this on his soil plants). Just a thought!

Looking good Sqwheels. I'm really impressed by how effective your cloning is despite it's incredible simplicity. Thanks for sharing it all and proving it doesn't need to be very complicated! :bravo:

I like that idea...I'm using them myself with my moms...I read a long time ago in one of the grow bibles that a layer on top of the soil would keep the top from drying out as quickly and thus increasing the volume of soil that's hospitable to roots. :thumb:

I like that idea...I'm using them myself with my moms...I read a long time ago in one of the grow bibles that a layer on top of the soil would keep the top from drying out as quickly and thus increasing the volume of soil that's hospitable to roots. :thumb:

Yes! That's another great benefit. It definitely helps the top from drying out so fast and gives roots more space near the top, I forgot to mention that, but it is another benefit for sure.

Back
Top Bottom