Sqwheels' 2nd Grow - White Widow - Soil-Less Mix 2011

Hi again, if I remember correctly, the Herm self pollinated are about 90% female, the Herm cross pollinated are around 99% female....maybe Cervantes? I don't believe there is a way to visually tell seeds apart--don't go crazy looking. Just plant some and see.

That sounds about right to me, OG13. The more I think about it, I would definitely use the seeds - good chance they'll be decent fem seeds. Especially assuming there were stressors that were causing the hermie issue that will be corrected/fixed next time. Then, I think you're golden. Grow 'em! :)

Hi again, if I remember correctly, the Herm self pollinated are about 90% female, the Herm cross pollinated are around 99% female....maybe Cervantes? I don't believe there is a way to visually tell seeds apart--don't go crazy looking. Just plant some and see.

Hi OG13 I have been looking all over for a post I made a while ago...it shows one person's way to tell female from male seeds. If I ever find it..I will post it for you. :)

Hi OG13 I have been looking all over for a post I made a while ago...it shows one person's way to tell female from male seeds. If I ever find it..I will post it for you. :)

Cool, but I think if it really worked, we would all know about it by now. I believe you get out what you put in.....docbud believes you can increase your odds of females by controlled germination techniques....the seeds are not predetermined. I'm up for learning something new tho

Hey Sqwheels,
Glad to hear you had an excellent harvest!!! and a time well spent with your other love!!! LOL anyways, about your comment with the seeds, I am still on a successful female grow with those 2 seeds that came from a hermie!!! and they are in flower now!!! still no herm!!! and I also gave 4 seeds of the same batch to a friend, all 4 females!!! so far it looks good to assume that herm seeds are feminized!!! but thats 6 of 6 seeds for me!!! I still got 6 more lets see what happens!! not to mention I have the 2 GDP seeds that came from hermie also....

:peacetwo:

Thanks Astonr..Ya we had a good time. We went campin/fishin with friends on a quiet little lake an hour north of here. I caught 3 fish, all of which were big enough to give me a good fight, it felt like I was gonna be pulled right out of my chair, my husband had to grab my waist so I wouldn't. I had a great time.:yahoo: I was cheezin'

So glad your ladies are doing soo good. I've been watching :bongrip: And happy to hear the hermies are still female and in flower. I didn't find my pollen sack until they were a couple weeks into flower tho, so keep watching close.

Good Luck

Hi Guys,

I'm so glad yall are still checkin in on me :thanks:

That sounds about right to me, OG13. The more I think about it, I would definitely use the seeds - good chance they'll be decent fem seeds. Especially assuming there were stressors that were causing the hermie issue that will be corrected/fixed next time. Then, I think you're golden. Grow 'em! :)

Cool, but I think if it really worked, we would all know about it by now. I believe you get out what you put in.....------ believes you can increase your odds of females by controlled germination techniques....the seeds are not predetermined. I'm up for learning something new tho

OG, Xlr8,

So glad to hear it, I've decided to try it. What have I got to loose? I love growing :yahoo::yahoo: Completely addicted to it. The more you grow the more you know...OMM

OMM,

Like I said before, I'm pretty sure I read a post somewhere that said you could tell the difference in male/female seeds, it was probably one of yours. But OG's right, if it really worked...you'd all know it.

Thanks Sqwheels! I am a beginer grower and had a joy reading your soil less-mix grow! As I am doing a perlight/coco grow my first round, and love finding other people with success. Looks to be terrific meds. Thanks for the great read! Look Forward to your next grow!

BK

Hey BK,

:thanks: For the kind words, and Welcome to 420Mag. I love it here. There are sooo many journals and great people to learn from...if you couldn't tell from reading mine...Be sure to wander around, alot, there's good info here.

Unfortunately I probably won't start another grow until fall. It was just too hot/hum here for a summertime grow. But I'm totally addicted now, so I'm for sure doing it again.

Hey BK,

I know what you mean...my first grow went really well, considering all, and the meds I got are some of the best ever.

I know what you mean about all the help, it's been shown to me as well.

A great big shout out to all the Staff and Members of 420Mag.

You people are wonderful.:yahoo: :thanks: :yahoo:

Some of the best I've ever smoked. really..I don't like to toot my own, but I am completely blowed away by how good my first try turned out.

I'll go look at your journal...right now.

Hi All,

It's been a while since an update...I'm a little disappointed in the cure...it's been weeks and the sticks are still a little damp, I keep opening the jars to air out every couple days. Still no snap.

I haven't tasted it yet, those of you who followed know all the trouble I had and I was hoping to cure completely before a taste test.

On another note I've been rolling around this idea for my next grow...I've been researching hempie style grows and I've come up with this idea from a combination of various growers here @ 420mag, Any comments or suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

I'm going to use 2 ltr bottles, (420fied) 5 per tub x 2 tubs = 10 plants

I'll prep these the same as he did but I'm going to add a stone in the bottom for ballast weight

Thanks to BPN, I now know that aeration is a good thing for your nutes, even if you're not a hydro grower, so, I think for feeding purposes I'll be filling the tubs with their nutrients and using an air stone to mix them up good. Then I'll just set the 2 ltr bottles into the nute mixture, hence the stones for weight, and let them suck up the mix from the bottom up. This way I avoid the moisture on the tops that seems to cause so many an algae problem, and the issue of floating perlite/vermiculite, it will almost be like a flood system, I will just manually move them in and out of the nute solutions on feeding days.

I'd like to keep these small like 420fied did his, so I'll be going to 12/12 after a short veg cycle. I don't have a cloner so I'll be growing from seed, I still haven't decided on the source, I'm on a tight budget, just had to replace the main drain, 100' from the house to the road. If you have a good source you'd like to share, please do...PM me. I'm also going to try a few of the seeds I got from my white widow hermie and see what happens with that. Should be interesting.

I'll be using the 400w MH Hortilux Blue bulb I have, they say it gives both blue/red for veg/bloom, and I'll be adding some of the CFL's (OMM and others) say are so good for extra lumens/spectrum ... BTW does anyone happen to know of a chart somewhere that tells how to calculate the watts/lumens/sqft thing. I've read these stats in others journals and I'm not sure what I should get... my space is 4x5' = 20 sq ft

Maybe I should invest in a HPS to go with the CFL's for blooming, not sure, need more research. Need a chart, I'm a visual learner, always a hands on kinda thing with me.

ok, that's about enough for tonight, I'm toasted :tokin: and rambling now :sorry: any thoughts or comments?

Let me know what you think so far...Good night all...

:love::circle-of-love::love:

Hey Sqwheels, I think if you want to keep them small and use 2 liter bottles, you will want to flower when about 10" tall (depends on strain). The plants will still stretch some, but you won't fill that space, maybe half of it. Figure each plant takes up maybe 1 sq foot, that's 10 sq feet. 400 watts over 10 sq ft is 40 watts/sq foot, about the minimum you want to use. If you can keep them closer and concentrate the light, that is better. More lumens is always better, use the CFLs for sidelights and fill and vary the spectrum. I'll PM you w/ some ideas.

Hey Sqwheels, I think if you want to keep them small and use 2 liter bottles, you will want to flower when about 10" tall (depends on strain). The plants will still stretch some, but you won't fill that space, maybe half of it. Figure each plant takes up maybe 1 sq foot, that's 10 sq feet. 400 watts over 10 sq ft is 40 watts/sq foot, about the minimum you want to use. If you can keep them closer and concentrate the light, that is better. More lumens is always better, use the CFLs for sidelights and fill and vary the spectrum. I'll PM you w/ some ideas.

Hi OG,

I'm still in early planning, I haven't decided which way to go yet, I'm gonna get some seeds, somewhere, and grow a couple of them to mothers, then clone 10 plants, or start 10 seeds. I know I can't count on all 10 seeds being female so I like the clone idea better, but I don't own a cloner.

Thanks for the lighting info, that's pretty much my thoughts on it, I'm trying to decide how many CFL's I can get in there. The MH I have I've used for 2 grows now and I've read they lose effectiveness after a # of hours...but it's a cool light, I can leave it just 2-3" above the plants and they won't burn, and it's suppose to give the proper spectrum for veg and flower. I think a HPS would be much hotter, that's way I was going to do CFL's. And I have to think about the amps available in there too.

I know there is a difference between watts and lumens, and I thought lumens were more important.

OMM, if you read this could you tell me the different CFL's you're using and how many lumens each produces...thanks so much.

Wow, so much to consider, I need to do more research...:nomo:

Ok, this was my thought on the feeding thing...tubs are 14Lx10Wx6D. As I type this I'm wondering if these tubs will hold enough liquid to sufficiently feed 5 plants.

DSCN02394.jpg

If I mix my nutrients and aerate in these tubs and then set the bottles down inside, they will flood from the bottom up, the rock I'll use will keep it from floating and the top of the perl/verm mix won't get wet enough to grow algae, does that sound logical?

Anyway, with plants that only grow 18-24" and have a footprint of 1 sq ft really sounds like the grow for me. That's my ultimate goal this time. Small and compact.

I'm going to visit the DIY section and see what I can find...

As always all comments are appreciated.

Hi Sqwheels!

Personally, I think you're right the HPS does seem to run a little hotter, but not a ton hotter I don't think (over MH). CFL's and Floros are good for vegging, and you are going to be spending almost all your time flowering, which is where a 400w HPS would work much better than the MH bulb. MH bulbs, even with red in them are not as good for flowering as HPS. BUT, if temps are an issue, stick with what works. Good environment trumps everything. It's the most important factor - good temps, RH, darkness control, etc.

I figure anything over 40w per sq ft. is pretty good, personally, but I'm not an expert on that subject and I don't have a chart to share. I have never supplemented my grows with CFL's, but it certainly might help with side branch/bud development.

Also, didn't I read you were going to dry a hempy/perlite grow? I have never done a grow like that, but I seem to remember Jozo-sha trying something similar with dunking them into the nutrient mixture and had problems. I was also under the impression that you wanted to fill hempies fast so that you created a perched water table that slowly drained back out of the hole at the bottom. Maybe somebody with more (any) hempy experience can weigh in on your methodology. Just sounded like something I heard didn't work for Jozo-sha. I'll see if I can find the info I'm referring too... Bear with me, I know so little about hempies, but I want you to succeed. :)

EDIT: Shoot, I can't find the info - might not have been Jozo-sha. Hope someone with good hempie experience can just weigh in. :goodluck:

Also, didn't I read you were going to dry a hempy/perlite grow? I have never done a grow like that, but I seem to remember Jozo-sha trying something similar with dunking them into the nutrient mixture and had problems. I was also under the impression that you wanted to fill hempies fast so that you created a perched water table that slowly drained back out of the hole at the bottom. Maybe somebody with more (any) hempy experience can weigh in on your methodology. Just sounded like something I heard didn't work for Jozo-sha. I'll see if I can find the info I'm referring too... Bear with me, I know so little about hempies, but I want you to succeed. :)

EDIT: Shoot, I can't find the info - might not have been Jozo-sha. Hope someone with good hempie experience can just weigh in. :goodluck:

Hey Xlr8, you are correct that Jz had some issues with dunking his girls...I was the one that told him I had done so without any problems before he gave it a go...but the plants in question were in Air-Pots with soil.

I think you are dead on about the way hempies are normally watered, in fact, I remember someone on the hempy thread actually plugging the hole, watering and then unplugging and allowing the water to drain.

Hi All,

It's been a while since an update...I'm a little disappointed in the cure...it's been weeks and the sticks are still a little damp, I keep opening the jars to air out every couple days. Still no snap.

I haven't tasted it yet, those of you who followed know all the trouble I had and I was hoping to cure completely before a taste test.

On another note I've been rolling around this idea for my next grow...I've been researching hempie style grows and I've come up with this idea from a combination of various growers here @ 420mag, Any comments or suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

I'm going to use 2 ltr bottles, (420fied) 5 per tub x 2 tubs = 10 plants

I'll prep these the same as he did but I'm going to add a stone in the bottom for ballast weight

Thanks to BPN, I now know that aeration is a good thing for your nutes, even if you're not a hydro grower, so, I think for feeding purposes I'll be filling the tubs with their nutrients and using an air stone to mix them up good. Then I'll just set the 2 ltr bottles into the nute mixture, hence the stones for weight, and let them suck up the mix from the bottom up. This way I avoid the moisture on the tops that seems to cause so many an algae problem, and the issue of floating perlite/vermiculite, it will almost be like a flood system, I will just manually move them in and out of the nute solutions on feeding days.

I'd like to keep these small like 420fied did his, so I'll be going to 12/12 after a short veg cycle. I don't have a cloner so I'll be growing from seed, I still haven't decided on the source, I'm on a tight budget, just had to replace the main drain, 100' from the house to the road. If you have a good source you'd like to share, please do...PM me. I'm also going to try a few of the seeds I got from my white widow hermie and see what happens with that. Should be interesting.

I'll be using the 400w MH Hortilux Blue bulb I have, they say it gives both blue/red for veg/bloom, and I'll be adding some of the CFL's (OMM and others) say are so good for extra lumens/spectrum ... BTW does anyone happen to know of a chart somewhere that tells how to calculate the watts/lumens/sqft thing. I've read these stats in others journals and I'm not sure what I should get... my space is 4x5' = 20 sq ft

Maybe I should invest in a HPS to go with the CFL's for blooming, not sure, need more research. Need a chart, I'm a visual learner, always a hands on kinda thing with me.

ok, that's about enough for tonight, I'm toasted :tokin: and rambling now :sorry: any thoughts or comments?

Let me know what you think so far...Good night all...

:love::circle-of-love::love:

Hey Sqwheels! don't fret! As long as they are not so wet that they mold, the longer it takes to fully dry the buds the better the cure! Make sure the humidity isn't really high in the room when you are burping the jars or it kind of defeats the purpose.

If they were really moist, I would suggest you leave the cover off for a while, or even take the buds out of the jar for a couple of hours, but I don't think you need to go that far.

I just uploaded a couple of lighting charts into my gallery, this one might help with what you are looking for.

Foot-Candle_Chart_HPS.jpg

I've always been told 1000 watts for a 4x4 space, so that would be more like 2 600s for your area, but Xlr8 is correct, environment is the most important aspect of growing indoors, so you go with whatever you can run in a acceptable temperature range.:welldone:

Hey Sqwheels :)

Here is a link to everything you need to know about CFLs. :yummy:

This grow I'll be learning from you.......it's going to be new for me. :thumb:

Glad the fish didn't pull you in! :yahoo:

Some growers do that but it's unnecessary. I slowly pour my feedings into my Hempy's with absolute minimal runoff. Everyone saw the results. Xare feeds his the same way with fantastic results.

Keep it simple.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom