Sqwheels' Garden - Bonsai Style

re: Sqwheels' Garden - Bonsai Style

I know perlite feels like a hard sterophoam rock, but what does vermiculite feel like? Spungy?

Have you tried 50%coco 50%perlite?

That's what I will be doing in my next grow. I really want to try a pure rockwool grow, but I am sort of scared because rockwool stays wet forever.

Hi LEDRF,

I prefer the course Vermiculite...it's like small chips of an inert substance, not sure what exactly...I mix 3 parts Perl and 1 part verm it holds the moisture well...if I wanted to hold more moisture I'd increase the verm a little.

No I haven't tried coco anything yet...someday maybe. I kinda like what I've got going. Nice and clean, light weight, flushes easily. Not sure I want to change any of that.

I wouldn't grow in pure rockwool for that very reason. But Good Luck!

Sq

Yup, it should be a feminized seed, assuming that no other stray male pollen caused it. Sometimes our plants give us these little gifts from time to time, and they're usually female and very close to the phenotype/plant that they came from (again assuming no other accidental pollination). It's one of a few natural self-preservation tactics at their disposal.

Hi X,

So good to see you...hope you're feeling better.

I knew we went over this subject back when I had hermies. I'm pretty sure it's a natural occurrence, we've cleaned that room several times since the hermies were in there, and I've had at least 2 crops in there since then. That's why I left the second seed, instead of teasing it out...let it mature. Like you said "self preservation" these plants are amazing.

Sq

I had en email from this thread mentioning seeds in someones girls.
in my second grow, I broke a branch very badly, instead of cutting it off, I propped it up and it grew on ok, but one day I was looking at the start of flowering, and there were some male flowers on one bit of the branch , the plant itself was several generations of clone, and the rest of the flowers were female.
I cut that part with the male flowers off, and we got a few seeds... less than 15 amount the plants that were in the same grow. (shows how often I was checking the plants, about inly about 10 times a day for that grow)
An old grower told me, if you stress your plants early in growth, they will turn male, and that branch proved him right in my eyes.
The old dude said it was just nature looking after itself, and sending in a boy to make sure seeds were set. He'd grown from seeds for many years, and hardly ever got a male plant anymore, he reckoned he's grown last years seeds, right through to some seeds someone found, they had saved about 15 years earlier, and maybe got a male every 100 or so seedlings he'd grown.
He said he worked it out as a youngen, He was into camping out at the end of the growing season, and he said he noticed that male plants were often the ones that were growing in a drier place, or the plant just wasn't healthy...

Funny I have been told a lot of stuff about growing, and forgot most of it, but always remember that, cause it made so much sense, and when that branch threw male flowers, I was convinced he was right.

Cheers

Hi up side down,

I never thought of it that way. But I'm sure it was stress that brought on my first hermies...tho it was light leak that caused it, I think. This time it's a natural occurrence. I know they will throw a seed of two if left late in cycle, just to insure next years crop. But this plant is not late in cycle. That's why I was surprised to see it. I'll plant it some day and see what happens. I also have a lot of old bag seeds...I'll plant some of them someday too...just to see what I get. I don't know if I buy early stress causing males...I've stressed my girls with bonsai and cropping for a long time with no males.

Thanks for the info... and thoughts of an old grower. iNpuT!!! :)

Sq

Hi up side down,
I don't know if I buy early stress causing males...I've stressed my girls with bonsai and cropping for a long time with no males.
Sq

Bending was ok, he used to make bonsai that made my plants look gull grown. in his experience it was more lack of water or any goodness, and with breaking a branch, as badly as I did, that would be an issue while it healed I would think. Mine was a bad break, was only hanging on by bark and a few fibres.

Anyway, I'll look after my seeds whenever I get some, and see how it goes.

Hi up side down,

I never thought of it that way. But I'm sure it was stress that brought on my first hermies...tho it was light leak that caused it, I think. This time it's a natural occurrence. I know they will throw a seed of two if left late in cycle, just to insure next years crop. But this plant is not late in cycle. That's why I was surprised to see it. I'll plant it some day and see what happens. I also have a lot of old bag seeds...I'll plant some of them someday too...just to see what I get. I don't know if I buy early stress causing males...I've stressed my girls with bonsai and cropping for a long time with no males.

Sq

I've wondered about the "late in cycle" a bit, and whether perhaps a clone which has an advance age by default could exhibit this behavior without being as late in the harvest cycle. Maybe that's total BS whack... not sure. I've also suspected some phenos exhibit this end of life, late in cycle, behavior earlier than others... I've certainly seen plants, both from seed and from clone, spit a small amount... say 1-6 seeds even without going past ideal harvest date.

I've wondered about the "late in cycle" a bit, and whether perhaps a clone which has an advance age by default could exhibit this behavior without being as late in the harvest cycle. Maybe that's total BS whack... not sure. I've also suspected some phenos exhibit this end of life, late in cycle, behavior earlier than others... I've certainly seen plants, both from seed and from clone, spit a small amount... say 1-6 seeds even without going past ideal harvest date.

Interesting. Will those seeds be random male/female seeds or hermie?

Put the money on female unless you had a male in the room, but it is not a desireable trait unless you like seeds.....

Hey X,

Sorry for the late reply and for such a long absence...It's been one thing after another here. I've missed y'all

"a clone which has an advanced age by default" do you mean like my Wonder Woman? I've cloned from a clone maybe 8 times now. I was wondering again just the other day if that's a *bad* thing. Like making a copy of a copy of a copy...the last copy is always the poorest quality of the bunch. I think we had this discussion somewhere here before...and I think the consensus was that the genetics would still be the same and it should be ok. Maybe I'm wrong tho...my memory sucks

I've only been growing for a couple years now so my experience is limited...but I just harvested 3 plants grown from "femmed" seeds and all three of them had a couple seeds. I never saw any other signs of male parts on these plants. I can't completely rule out the stray bit of pollen...I did have couple of male plants in there at one point. But Wonder Woman was also in there and she didn't give me any seeds...she never has in all the harvests I've done of her.

They were vegged using GLR, and one...the Blue Widow was on the verge of flowering just a couple weeks out of seed. I thought it might be because of that, maybe she thought she was further along in cycle than her actual days of 12/12... does that make any sense? But then again, the "flower" cycle shouldn't start until the light cycle is right, and according to the breeder I didn't let any of them go too long.

I'm more inclined to think it's got something to do with the process they use to "fem" seeds. Some trait of the original male is still there I think.

I'm really just speculating about all of this...I don't care that I got a few seeds, at some point I'll plant them and see what happens.

I'm interested in your thoughts on any of this...you've been growing much longer than I :Namaste:

Sq

Interesting. Will those seeds be random male/female seeds or hermie?

Hi Bass,

Good question...I wonder too

Sq

hey sqwheeelie whats the good word? the girls look fabtastic! i have a few comments on some of this, seeds : very important to the plant ,the goal of their lives! im never unhappy to find them ,my curiosity is massive with breeding and genetics with fem seeds i have used them,made them,like them , but! i have noticed that almost every fem seed i have grown there seems to always be a few random seeds/male flowers not really a bad thing imho i mean when you pay what we do for them its nice to know you can grow another if you didnt clone or breed, i have grown out a few of the randoms and so far all i have seen is more or less an exact copy of the plant it came from my theory is a tiny nanner formed likely just 1 and tiny it may not have ever been visible and manages to produce a bean, (maybe these plants are smarter than we think and "shes" just making sure lol)
i have worked hard to produce fem seeds and have had some crappy and also fantastic results, it makes me laugh that i can do all that work and the plant may have been going to give me some seeds all along! ironic!
GLR: i have noticed some strains(it seems the more sativa) act like they want to flower enthusiastically my purple power is one that will try hard to flower even under 18/6!(with florescents like t5) and does flower under glr but all the other seem to happily veg and start flowering quickly after the 12/12 flip glr is an awesome schedule but not perfect for every strain, some of the other strains i have had that act like they want to flower with glr have leveled out and continued to veg after a period of adjustment tho they do put out a larger number of preflowers but the bonus is after the flip they are well into flower after 7-10 days and finish faster than the breeders description all in all i find glr to be my favorite veg light routine and the only time i dont use it is with "purple power" i veg those under 24/0 in a separate area problem solved!
well those are my thoughts on these things at least till something happens to change them
your girls look sweet just lemme know when i need to be at your place to help trim! lol im actually off to trim up 2 im pulling tonight my blue dream and a "mmmf" i got from hozona
later keep up the good work its certainly paying off :thumb: :cheer:

Hi sqwheels. Beginning to think you had left town.:high-five: Good to see you.

I had a Columbia Gold that gave me a seed when I harvested. I planted it and a beautiful new female plant came up and she was a good female with a nice harvest. This one did not produce any seeds. Just my experience. I say plant them and watch closely. Hope you are doing fine.
:thumb:

Hi bid,

"good word" ***SPRING!!!*** it's almost here! :cheer:

Thanks...those girls were harvested a couple weeks ago. I've taken some pics of it all, just haven't had any time to sit and do an update. It's been like 3 weeks now. Wow, were does the time go?

Thanks for all the personal insight/experience. You're always a great source of info.

I agree with the whole life's objective is to reproduce. I've only grown a few plants from "femmed" seeds, but it seems to be a common occurrence with them...a seed of two. Good to know about your results with planting them...I thought they would be ok, but it's always nice to hear it from someone who's done it. I never saw any male parts on any of these plants but my eyes are not what they used to be...I could have easily missed a single nanner I suppose.

GLR is my favorite way to veg...it's all I use now. The Blue Widow was showing flowers 3 days after the flip to 12/12 and the others within a week. When I popped these last seeds I simply put another light (10" dome with 2- 23w cfl's) into the veg room and left it on 24/0 right next to the vegging girls that had been getting glr. I just didn't have any other room to put them in...so they all went into the same room...after about a week I switched them to glr again.

:thanks:

Sq

Hi sqwheels. Beginning to think you had left town.:high-five: Good to see you.

I had a Columbia Gold that gave me a seed when I harvested. I planted it and a beautiful new female plant came up and she was a good female with a nice harvest. This one did not produce any seeds. Just my experience. I say plant them and watch closely. Hope you are doing fine.
:thumb:

Hi OMM,

Naw... It's just been a busy couple of weeks for me. I harvested 3 more girls and I'm still working on a sewing project for some extra cash. Had to change homeowners ins companies and stuff...what a nightmare that's been. They wanted us to fix a few things and such...it's just been kinda hectic here. I'm still fighting somewhat of a winter time funk...but the days are getting longer and that helps. It was sunny and 38 degrees yesterday...I actually sat out in the sun for a few minutes...first time I've been out of the house in a couple weeks. My cabin fever is really getting to me. Just gotta hang in there for a little longer...spring is comin'

Good to know your seed gave you another beautiful plant...I watch them close when I plant them for sure.

Hope you and Jo are still doing well.

:circle-of-love:

Sq

Hi Folks :ciao:

It's been 3 weeks since I've done an update...sorry for the long lapse. So much has happened that I can't post all the pics, but I've uploaded many along the way if you want to look in my photos ... here's a few of the highlights

Blue Widow hanging...she was the first harvested
DSCN39061.JPG

Aurora Indica just before chopping
DSCN39131.JPG

Northern Lights x Big Bud just before chopping
DSCN39221.JPG

DSCN39231.JPG

The seedlings are looking good...although I think they were suffering for a bit. I gave them a little more nutes and they have since improved

OG #18 @ 3 weeks was showing a lot of stretch between her nodes, it must be more sativa than indica
DSCN39291.JPG

DSCN39341.JPG

I topped her to 4 nodes and removed the bottom 2
DSCN39541.JPG

She's really stretch since then...today I removed her big fan's, that may slow her a bit
DSCN3973.JPG

Bubblicious has this weird marble pattern on her leaves, not sure why...probably nutes
DSCN39351.JPG

Yep...More Nutes
:morenutes:
DSCN3944.JPG

Over night ...
DSCN3963.JPG

Her nodes are so tight together
DSCN3966.JPG

topped to 4 nodes and removed the bottom two...including the bad leaves, with that and the additional nutes she looks better now
DSCN3969.JPG

Power Skunk had a nute thing too...I think I waited too long to up them, these girls were hungry
DSCN3977.JPG

also topped in the same manner
DSCN3976.JPG

and cloned
DSCN3958.JPG

the weirdest thing... until now all the seeds I've planted have produced symmetrical growth 2 branches at each node site...this plants 4th node produced 3 branches
DSCN3993.JPG

All the girls in the big room got a bigger pot today...doubled their root space. I only took the one pic for size comparison. I'll flower in these pots... gonna give them a couple more weeks to get comfortable, then I'll flip to 12/12
DSCN39911.JPG

Big room, vegging 1 Blueberry Gum and 2 Wonder Woman
DSCN39962.JPG

That's it for now...thanks for looking, hope you enjoy

:green_heart:

Sq

Hi OMM,

Naw... It's just been a busy couple of weeks for me. I harvested 3 more girls and I'm still working on a sewing project for some extra cash. Had to change homeowners ins companies and stuff...what a nightmare that's been. They wanted us to fix a few things and such...it's just been kinda hectic here. I'm still fighting somewhat of a winter time funk...but the days are getting longer and that helps. It was sunny and 38 degrees yesterday...I actually sat out in the sun for a few minutes...first time I've been out of the house in a couple weeks. My cabin fever is really getting to me. Just gotta hang in there for a little longer...spring is comin'

Good to know your seed gave you another beautiful plant...I watch them close when I plant them for sure.

Hope you and Jo are still doing well.

Sq

Hey My Girl Buddy!:love:

Sitting out in 38 degree temps......you are fighting a winter time funk! Your right though..spring is on it's way, happy days again. Little extra money sounds good to me. 3 Harvests also sounds good.

Yep, we are wondering what we will face after our tenting of the house for termites. We have to do that before we can refinance and build a new one. That's the plan anyway.:peace:

Jo has a bit of the blues, we have been eating out on week-ends and so far the restaurants suck!

i agree with you OMM hard to find many good eating places on the windward side
lots of great eats in town tho
and SQ very nice harvest you had, you got some skills girl:bravo:

Hey My Girl Buddy!:love:

Sitting out in 38 degree temps......you are fighting a winter time funk! Your right though..spring is on it's way, happy days again. Little extra money sounds good to me. 3 Harvests also sounds good.

Yep, we are wondering what we will face after our tenting of the house for termites. We have to do that before we can refinance and build a new one. That's the plan anyway.:peace:

Jo has a bit of the blues, we have been eating out on week-ends and so far the restaurants suck!

Hey OMM,

38 degrees was a heat wave compared to the last 3 days... it hasn't gotten to 30 and more snow. WTH! "spring" (3-20 this year, have you ever done the egg thing during the equinox? maybe it wouldn't work in Hawaii) came and went. It was in the 20's all day, at least there was a little sunshine The weatherman says 40 for Saturday yoohoo! Last year at this time it was in the 70's and 80's. Wow!

Sounds like you've got quite the project with your house...tenting and demo? Why both? Are you doing a complete rebuild?

Tell Jo I completely understand... my winter funk is really getting old now. I feel like a shut-in. It's just too cold to go out.

Sorry about the restaurant situation...I can't help ya there

:peace:

Sq

i agree with you OMM hard to find many good eating places on the windward side
lots of great eats in town tho
and SQ very nice harvest you had, you got some skills girl:bravo:

Hi Cronic,

:thanks: for the kind words

:Namaste: I got those skills here at 420 :thumb: from all it's wonderful members

Sq

Back
Top Bottom