Sqwheels' Garden - Bonsai Style

re: Sqwheels' Garden - Bonsai Style

I have been having a real tough time cloning my cheese. I am definitely going to try this (although what vapedog said does make a lot of sense), if I can't get them to root in the first place then I feel it is worth a try and a little transition stress later!

Thank you and all your girls look very beautiful!!!

i havent seen clones rooted that way, interesting. i just stick to the aero cloner as it works 100% but if it breaks down i'll be sure to give this a try ;)

The peroxide was due to me treating a blackfly infestation. I had tried different products to kill the lavae and the adults and in the end i just thought i'd try peroxide at double recommended strength. Not the most friendly way to deal with the issue but very effective. i ran about 10litres through each pot at 1ml per litre of tap water. this killed the eggs and lavae and i used a smoke bomb to kill the adults. i havent seen a pest at all since. I must stress i wouldnt recommend this to people as it could quite have easily killed my mothers. However my mothers are well developed and have had lots tlc since the application.

nice training btw. Are u just manually feeding? I got so sick of manual feeding recently, it was taking me 4 hours + per day so now i've switched to wilma system to see how that works out. I have multiple large grows and as much as i enjoy being around my grows it can get tedious sometimes. :cough:

BID,

Hello and :welcome: to my journal...I've seen you around the forums, it's so nice to have you here.

No I don't have any of the things you mentioned...I'll just give them a little time, I'm sure they'll recover. I've been using BPN for a while now and the girls seem to really like it...they just need some time to get used to their new homes. I'll keep an eye on the BBG, thanks for the heads up on that. Ya, I love the bonsai...it's the perfect size for me. I know what you mean about all the node sites, my WW is completely covered. You should flower yours, I'd love to see it.

Thanks for subbing...don't be shy, I like a lot of feedback and ideas...I'm still learning and appreciate the input.

:high-five:
im just lazy i guess ,about getting out to everyone's journals and more so with posting i have this desire not to post till i have read every last post in em and i end up read fatigued and thinking i'll get back soon but im subbed to over 60 journals! i do read most of them and have read yours b4.. bpn is primo top o da line shiz fo my pliz! i show my bpn collection off in vid 1 of my new journal , i have it all! lol not planning on using any other nute line for all the right reasons,,i tend to go on n on im disabled home body this is my social activity, so bear with my incessant babbling oh and i hear it helps that im a Gemini ! LOL:thumb: i like the bonsai for the control factor i do need to be mindful of height as well so yeah bonsai is good, im deciding what to flower for the next cycle i have a big space opening up in about 3 weeks bb gum may be, but i have 3 already a month in flower so we'll see,im really wanting to flower some white widow x big bud and chemdog clones ah decisions decisions!

I have been having a real tough time cloning my cheese. I am definitely going to try this (although what vapedog said does make a lot of sense), if I can't get them to root in the first place then I feel it is worth a try and a little transition stress later!

Thank you and all your girls look very beautiful!!!
hey jam i have problems cloning blue cheese im guessing its a cheese thing cuz i have no problem with any other blueberry crosses i have cloned, but i did manage to get 2 of the 8 i took to finaly root took a month in a bubble cloner tho,

i was wondering, if u hand water those how much and how often? just with the perlite not holding onto any water and there being no res like in the hempy's. must be a nightmare dealing with the run off especially if u are unwell at times. have u tried drippers? Take alook at my journal and see how i get on with them, maybe they'll be of use. Its my first time using them in a re-circulating wilma system and still tweakin but if u are solely perlite it may make ur job so much easier....

Just remember, the roots develop differently depending on the medium your in...since she's a hydro grower the water works well. If you grow in soil, I think you'd do a little better rooting directly in soil...it just makes for a slightly easier transition.

:Namaste:

The reason I am going to give this a try is that I was recently gifted two clones (blue moonshine) in a container of plain water. I thought the grower grew in hydro but I have since found he is soil. They were nice strong clones with about 1 to 1.5 inch roots. I popped them right in soil and they never missed a beat!! So I thought I would make some S4 Girls for him in the same manner. I have done it a little different (someone is most likely already doing it) I have cut holes in a plastic lid popped in rapid rooters and pushed the stem through to keep them stable … lets find out!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

The reason I am going to give this a try is that I was recently gifted two clones (blue moonshine) in a container of plain water. I thought the grower grew in hydro but I have since found he is soil. They were nice strong clones with about 1 to 1.5 inch roots. I popped them right in soil and they never missed a beat!! So I thought I would make some S4 Girls for him in the same manner. I have done it a little different (someone is most likely already doing it) I have cut holes in a plastic lid popped in rapid rooters and pushed the stem through to keep them stable ... lets find out!! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Don't misunderstand...that method will work fine! People have been doing it for years. My grandmother always had cuttings from various house plants in glasses of water over on the windowsill by the kitchen sink. But if you are trying to root clones for production...I had to root 60 for my SOG...you'll save yourself some headaches rooting in a similar medium. Soil is a little special, because you want mycorrhiza to colonize the roots as quickly as possible...hydro growers don't have to worry about such things as mutualistic fungi!

:ganjamon:

ok, I just spent 30+ minutes making a reply to all of you...and lost it!!! Does anybody know how auto save works?

ok, I just spent 30+ minutes making a reply to all of you...and lost it!!! Does anybody know how auto save works?

The way it worked for me, is there's a button that appears next to 'my photos' at the bottom left of the text edit box that says 'restore auto-saved content'...or at least it says something close to that. :ganjamon:

Don't misunderstand...that method will work fine! People have been doing it for years. My grandmother always had cuttings from various house plants in glasses of water over on the windowsill by the kitchen sink. But if you are trying to root clones for production...I had to root 60 for my SOG...you'll save yourself some headaches rooting in a similar medium. Soil is a little special, because you want mycorrhiza to colonize the roots as quickly as possible...hydro growers don't have to worry about such things as mutualistic fungi!

:ganjamon:

I saw that cloning ... very cool. I am limited to a very small # of plants due to the law :peace:

Hi Vape,

I don't have that button...right now anyway. It could have been there last night, but I didn't see it. Thanks for the suggestion.

the only thing I see is...while typing occasionally a little yellow box lights up (on the right/lower corner) in the text box "auto saved" and then slowly dims and disappears.

I'm bummed about it cause it was well thought out and a reply to all of you...now I have to start over. urg!!

Ok yall...I had a much better post yesterday but lost it...If I miss something, poke me...I'll address it again

Buckshot--Welcome and thank you for joining my journal

KISS...it's the simplest way I've found so far, and as long as it's working I'll keep doing it this way.

Vape -- ya, it could slow growth initially but I think it would recover and thrive well in any medium. If I had to clone a lot (60+) I wouldn't do it this way...it's not that predictable, it can take 15-20 days sometimes. I was just trying to show an alternative to buying all the stuff...I hate it when the hydro shop salesmen tells me "you gotta have this"

j85 -- It's worth a try...if you can't get them to root now anyway, it couldn't hurt.

Cultivator -- yes, I feed/water by drizzling around the outside edge of the pot a few ounces at a time until it runs out the bottom. they need water at different rates...the little pots dry out quicker. I'm in there everyday trimming/training. I usually spend at least 1 hour sometimes more, just depends on what I have to do that day. If I had a huge grow I would probably find a different way. I don't want to mess with a resevior...my space is too warm, I'd just have a whole other set of variables to worry about. I'm not familiar with "wilma"

BID -- I know what you mean about not posting until you've read the whole thread, I feel the same way...it feels like I'm butting into a conversation, I feel like I'm being rude...I'm glad you're here...ramble away, I like the input

SB -- it's not late...we're just gettin started, nice to have you here. the simplest method I've found to date, and I've tried several

:peace:
Sq

Cultivator,

I'll be there in a bit... :)

Gonna check the link first

Hi Folks :ciao:

I'm trying to get back on track with regular Monday updates...so here we go

Some of you seemed interested in my cloning method so I've decided to keep a little closer track of a timeline, the following pics were taken 2 days apart...the cuttings were also taken 2 days apart, I'm really surprised at the results so far...

I didn't think the Blue Widow top (clipped 6-21) would root easily, this is the first time I've tried cloning a top in this fashion, it seemed thick and a little woody to me, I thought it would take a long time to see roots if at all
DSCN23762.JPG

DSCN23771.JPG

DSCN24042.JPG

Northern Lights x Big Bud...clipped 2 days earlier, on 6-19
DSCN23781.JPG

DSCN23791.JPG

DSCN2406.JPG

Wonder Woman also clipped 6-19
DSCN23801.JPG

DSCN23822.JPG

DSCN2409.JPG

that's it to date for the clippings...I'm actually surprised that BW and NLxBB have roots already

I found this bug in the little room, if you know what this is...do tell, I don't have a clue. Is it just a bug that found it's way in there, or is it something common to MJ and I have to watch for infestation now. Sorry I kinda squished it trying to get it out of there
RSCN2393.JPG

These pics are from the big room...Wonder Woman bonsai was severly over grown and in need of a trim, I clipped a bunch of really nice pieces off her yesterday (I wish I had more space and no limits) and I can hardly tell today...I am a little worried by the fact that all her leaves only have 3 fingers...not sure when exactly this happened, but they used to have 5 fingers, not sure what would cause such a thing...probably all the nute/pH issues I was having...I'll keep watch and see if this changes with the BPN, aside from the 3 finger thing, she looks happy and healthy
DSCN23942.JPG

Northern Lights x Big Bud...ditched the LST for bonsai, have clipped/broken several tips and her undergrowth is filling in nicely
DSCN23952.JPG

Blue Widow...also ditched the LST for bonsai, I'm going to allow her branchs to get a little longer before I clip the tips, at that point her tiny under growth should start filling in as well
DSCN23972.JPG

veg/seedling side
DSCN23991.JPG

can you see the clone cups in the shadows?

I'm having some trouble with the seedlings...White Rhino looks the best and she doesn't look all that great, notice the shape and twist of their leaves...they all have it to varying degrees, Blueberry Gum being the worst one of all

BG
DSCN23832.JPG

DSCN24001.JPG

AI
DSCN23852.JPG

DSCN23871.JPG

DSCN2401.JPG

WR
DSCN23862.JPG

DSCN24021.JPG

Some of these seeds may have been the freebies...I didn't keep track of the different seeds free vs paid for. I have read that some of our members were having problems with the free seeds...maybe from old/poor stock or something...anyway, if you have any ideas or suggetions please let me know.

Last on the list, but still very important...my RO water supply has changed. The last water I got was a ppm 005 with a pH of 8.5...how is this possible? :confused: From all I've learned/tested over the last year, this makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm totally confused! I thought water with zero ppm, or close to it, would always have a pH of close to 7. Clean water = neutral pH. or so I thought.

this is what I had to work with @ yesterdays feeding
RO water from Clugigan -- 005 ppm 8.5 pH
my tap -- 300 ppm 7.3 pH
store bottled -- 214 ppm 7.3 pH

I decided to mixed 2 different solutions as pictured below and used the one with the better pH level...I'm still totally confused as to why this worked out like it did...if you can't decipher my chicken scratch let me know, I'll explain...If you have some helpful ideas about this please tell me :helpsmilie:
DSCN23902.JPG

just about everything I thought I knew about water and nutes and ppms and pH was totally screwed by this...what is it I'm not getting? I know I'm a little thick sometimes and it takes me a while to understand but I really thought I had gotten a handle on this. :hmmmm: I'm so confused.

:green_heart:
Sq

I'm really not the one to be offering advice here, since it's been well over a year since I've checked pH...but RO water should be neutral, or 7. What I don't know for sure is if RO is the same as distilled, where you can't take an accurate pH reading of it because of the lack of buffering capability of the pure water. When is the last time you checked the calibration on the meter? If the meter is calibrated, I'd say that's your issue...just don't bother testing pH until the nutes are added.

:Namaste:

Hey SQ. Did you ever get a new ph meter or get the guys at the hydro shop to test it with pH 4 and pH 10 solutions?

You might try to put an airstone in the RO water and bubble it. A high of low pH in RO water is an indication of dissolved gas like CO2. Bubbling the RO water will cause the dissolved gasses, most likely carbonic acid, or CO3 which binds to 2 water atoms (raises ph), to be released into the atmosphere as CO2

Back
Top Bottom