Stonecrusher's Backyard Bonanza - Bringing Out The Big Pots!

I just have a fear of overwatering from some earlier indoor growing mistakes.
That's not a problem in a SIP- they run real wet compared to growing in a regular pot...
Once the plant develops water roots, I don't think you could drown it if you tried.. šŸ˜
I start my seedlings in a tiny swick, so they've already got water roots by transplant time- avoids the usual 10 day pause while you wait for the water roots to develop once she's in the SIP...
My plan for now: Mix bloom nutes at 1/2 strength,
That sounds about right..then' if she handles it ok, you can up the dosage a little...šŸ‘

Im glad to have someone who has more experience here. I also assume @Grand Daddy Black would have good advice about nutes, if not SIPs.
I also have not even filled the reservoir to capacity. Ive only ever put 1L in and I think it would hold at 4L (1gallon) if I want to fill it up.
My plan for now: Mix bloom nutes at 1/2 strength, add 1 L through the reservoir and see how it responds.
I want to slowly increase the water volume I add to the reservoir since that is what it is for. I just have a fear of overwatering from some earlier indoor growing mistakes.
What are you feeding them now, Crusher?

I've used Roots Organic Bloom nutes before with good results. However, they were used solo after moving on from their Grow recipe. I have no experience in mixing them with an existing nutrient source.

Question: Should I top water the nutes in, or should I add the solution to the reservoir? I was thinking that once a week I would add some bloom nutes from here on.
I think we're finding, for organic SIPs at least, that a periodic top watering is helpful to get the calcium properly spread throughout the pot. I'm starting to do it weekly with my top dressing.

That's not a problem in a SIP- they run real wet compared to growing in a regular pot...
Once the plant develops water roots, I don't think you could drown it if you tried.. šŸ˜
I've had really big, robust organic plants in SIPs by keeping them well watered right up until about 2-3 weeks after flip when I start getting deficiencies. But, I just start testing for brix and they came in at a disappointingly low 5 on the scale. After letting them dry out for a week or so my brix levels rose to 11, suggesting a much healthier plant which is going to have me adjusting my watering practices going forward.

Now, it may have a lot to do with my shorter than normal pots as I flower in 2 gallon buckets rather that the more typical 5 gallon so my perched water table is much higher percentage wise than is typical, but you may have to play around a bit depending on your set-up and which SIP design you use.

Edit: Not saying you @Carcass as you've got your set-up pretty well dialed in. More the "Royal You" lol.

I think we're finding, for organic SIPs at least, that a periodic top watering is helpful to get the calcium properly spread throughout the pot. I'm starting to do it weekly with my top dressing.

I've had really big, robust organic plants in SIPs by keeping them well watered right up until about 2-3 weeks after flip when I start getting deficiencies. But, I just start testing for brix and they came in at a disappointingly low 5 on the scale. After letting them dry out for a week or so my brix levels rose to 11, suggesting a much healthier plant which is going to have me adjusting my watering practices going forward.

Now, it may have a lot to do with my shorter than normal pots as I flower in 2 gallon buckets rather that the more typical 5 gallon so my perched water table is much higher percentage wise than is typical, but you may have to play around a bit depending on your set-up and which SIP design you use.

Edit: Not saying you @Carcass as you've got your set-up pretty well dialed in. More the "Royal You" lol.
WooHoo! Generally, if you can increase the airgap between the res and bottom of your medium, it will lower the PWT.

WooHoo! Generally, if you can increase the airgap between the res and bottom of your medium, it will lower the PWT.
Well, that's true, but I also think SIP design plays a role.

My first few rounds were with the false floor style with a column of soil between the two bases serving as the wick. It worked so well I thought having more soil exposed to water would wick more and be even more effective.

It certainly did wick more water bit I'm not sure sure it was more effective. Quite the opposite actually. So, next round I'm going the opposite way, reducing the wick even more from my first few rounds to see what I learn.

Well, that's true, but I also think SIP design plays a role.

My first few rounds were with the false floor style with a column of soil between the two bases serving as the wick. It worked so well I thought having more soil exposed to water would wick more and be even more effective.

It certainly did wick more water bit I'm not sure sure it was more effective. Quite the opposite actually. So, next round I'm going the opposite way, reducing the wick even more from my first few rounds to see what I learn.
I'd say there is probably a sweet spot for the wick size. It should be some percentage of the total soil volume. I've looked in the Earth Box to try to figure it out. The wick seems small like 5% or less of soil volume. I'm no expert but that is my observation. There are also other factors like soil medium, shape of the container and total depth.

What are you feeding them now, Crusher?

I've used Roots Organic Bloom nutes before with good results. However, they were used solo after moving on from their Grow recipe. I have no experience in mixing them with an existing nutrient source.
Hi GDB,
I am not feeding anything. I mixed some Build A Soil Craft Blend and some worm castings into the recycled soil when I planted, and so far this plant has had water only. And it looks really good if I say so myself. >) I was questioning if I should add any nutes at all. It would be really interesting to see if the plant makes it in good health to harvest.

I'd say there is probably a sweet spot for the wick size. It should be some percentage of the total soil volume. I've looked in the Earth Box to try to figure it out. The wick seems small like 5% or less of soil volume. I'm no expert but that is my observation. There are also other factors like soil medium, shape of the container and total depth.

That's interesting. And makes sense. It's probably more about providing access to "unlimited" water to a few adventurous roots than it is about wetting the soil. At least in organics and before mid-flower. If you use bottled nutes and don't need microbes, then you don't seem to have these issues.

5% you say. Which size Earthbox? And I wonder if @StoneOtter 's is same size? He uses the square version.

My current wick footer version is probably 12-15% and I think much too big, my first runs more like 6%, and now I'm trying about 1.5% (4 oz vs 256). I still have the original version so I could go back and re-run something to see how it compares to the very small version that's next up.

Today is the day my big SIP got filled (I was waiting on the seedling)...it's a 20 gallon planter, I thought it was bigger...it is almost 7 times bigger than what I usually use, though...

I filled the rez about an hour ago, and that stick in the center will tell me
how the wicking is going...if it works, I should need to add a gallon or 2 to the rez tomorrow...
And, if it works, there'll be a tiny seedling going in there tomorrow or Wednesday...

It's going to look ridiculous for a few weeks, but she'll grow in to it....šŸ˜šŸ¤ž

Initial Fill.JPG

I gotta pay attention- I was thinking this was the SIP thread...
Sorry, Crusher....it's a hazard of posting zooted...:lot-o-toke:

so anyhow, that's where my big sip is at..

Today is the day my big SIP got filled (I was waiting on the seedling)...it's a 20 gallon planter, I thought it was bigger...it is almost 7 times bigger than what I usually use, though...

I filled the rez about an hour ago, and that stick in the center will tell me
how the wicking is going...if it works, I should need to add a gallon or 2 to the rez tomorrow...
And, if it works, there'll be a tiny seedling going in there tomorrow or Wednesday...

It's going to look ridiculous for a few weeks, but she'll grow in to it....šŸ˜šŸ¤ž

Initial Fill.JPG
Quite the coincidence Carcass. I filled my new SIPs today too! I also planted a couple of the plants Ive been growing just for this purpose. I haven't filled the res yet, I top watered them in lightly because I plan to take them to a friends tomorrow morning and they would be HEAVY with water in there.

This is an experiment and I have no prior experience with SIPs so I am hoping I have absorbed enough form the fine folks on this forum to make it a success.

Horseshoe pit repurposed to mix soil.
Hoping I got it right. You can actually pack quite a bit of soil in the corners and middle.
My friend Rene' gets the Afghan Super Skunk, my favorite plant. He also gets a Steve's Reg that is a gift from our buddy Steve. Do you know him?
All settled. Can you believe Im giving this away? To tell the truth Rene' is a good gardener and only smokes occasionally so I will get the majority of the harvest from his plants. He is Swiss so precision is key.

I gotta pay attention- I was thinking this was the SIP thread...
Sorry, Crusher....it's a hazard of posting zooted...:lot-o-toke:

so anyhow, that's where my big sip is at..
Glad to see it Carcass! Post all you want here, but yea, probably get more views in the SIP thread.
BTW do you have any idea how to post in your journal thread and also at the SIP thread? Is it just copy paste or is there a better solution.
Asking for a friend.

Thanks, Crusher!
Quite the coincidence Carcass. I filled my new SIPs today too!

Those SIP's look great- they should do the trick just fine!
and, yeah, they do get damn heavy once you fill them...šŸ˜¬
BTW do you have any idea how to post in your journal thread and also at the SIP thread?
You could just copy/paste , but I'll usually just do separate posts..

Quite the coincidence Carcass. I filled my new SIPs today too! I also planted a couple of the plants Ive been growing just for this purpose. I haven't filled the res yet, I top watered them in lightly because I plan to take them to a friends tomorrow morning and they would be HEAVY with water in there.

This is an experiment and I have no prior experience with SIPs so I am hoping I have absorbed enough form the fine folks on this forum to make it a success.

Horseshoe pit repurposed to mix soil.
Hoping I got it right. You can actually pack quite a bit of soil in the corners and middle.
My friend Rene' gets the Afghan Super Skunk, my favorite plant. He also gets a Steve's Reg that is a gift from our buddy Steve. Do you know him?
All settled. Can you believe Im giving this away? To tell the truth Rene' is a good gardener and only smokes occasionally so I will get the majority of the harvest from his plants. He is Swiss so precision is key.
Well done @Stonecrusher . Those look like they'll work a treat! :thumb:

Are you taking both over to your friend's? You're not going to keep one and grow it yourself?

Well done @Stonecrusher . Those look like they'll work a treat! :thumb:

Are you taking both over to your friend's? You're not going to keep one and grow it yourself?
They are both headed to my friends yard. But I have plans. I currently have 3 - five gallon sips with autoflolwers in the tent, 1 mature plant and 2 seedlings.
I also have plans to build 2 more of the blue bin SIPs for the summer outdoor grow and I have seedlings for them that need a couple of weeks before I can put them out.

Orange bucket is the first SIP I've tried and it is now drinking 2 L per day. The blue ones are more autos that may be indoor/outdoor plants.

Here are my summer plants. I don't mind they are small now. Summer is long and I don't necessarily want HUGE plants in the yard. My plan - 2 will go into the blue bin SIPS, 2 into the BIG 30 gallon pots with plain old top watering for a comparison.
I may have to learn about nutes since the blue bin SIPS are about 12 gallons of soil

Oh my, Crusher. You have gone down that sippery slope! :Rasta:

Classic grower dilemma.
Mrs. Crusher and I are going on a little camping trip for the next 10 days. I almost want to stay home and garden, but I know that balance is key and life is short so off to the desert and exploring the canyons of Southern Utah.
We have a basement dweller yard slave that is about 75% dependable for keeping the garden. One of the benefits of adult kids moving back...(I guess) I gave him a plant care training then leave good instructions and pray for the best. He also has about 20 flower pots and the lawn to care for.
If you don't hear from me in 10 days send search and rescue!!

Hello
Mrs. Crusher and I took a little summer vacation. We haven't done a road trip for a long time and we were ready for a little adventure. So we packed the truck/camper and headed to the desert for some stargazing.
Relative Luxury
View media item 2704809
And guess what, @Grand Daddy Black , I went almost 10 days only smoking the fruits and not tending plants, calculating PH, or hanging around here with y'all. Not one Amazon order! I climbed back up the slippery slope a little, but now I am ready for the descent!
Here is a before/after of the 3x3 autos in SIPs in organic soil @Azimuth. (I read on your thread your are looking at SIPs with organic soil RN.
May 25th
June 8
Before and after of the new outdoor starts. 2x Alien OG, 2x AK-47, 2x Haze, all fems.

Finally, here is the slow auto experiment that just isn't working out but I can't kill her @Justin Goody . I think of her as an ornamental flower.

Anyway it is good to be back. The plants all survived well while I was gone. My garden troll was 100% successful tending the plants while we were away so I gave him a small goat as a reward. He ate it.

Back
Top Bottom