Stonecrusher's Backyard Bonanza - Bringing Out The Big Pots!

Im still in the 3x3 but the weather is really improving in my neighborhood. I am anticipating the move outdoors may happen as early as this weekend.

Before I get into the sillyness of my new seed starts (I just can't help it). I want to see what @Justin Goody thinks of my work on the runty auto FB Mystery.

I have to admit I have a weakness form making things. Im not really good at it but I find making the SIPs and the cool little car hook stakes has been satisfying.

These pics are from this morning, by the time of this journal entry the plant has visibly grown and the staked out limbs are reaching for the light. This may be the SHOCK that gets things going. Stay tuned.

I like it. You may have caught it RIGHT before it decide to go full steam into flowering and that’s the perfect time.
Though sometimes mine end up tiny anyway, there’s always a chance they catch that wave and just keep stretching.
IMG_4397.jpeg

I like to supercrop the stems before training them. Right now you're pulling them out against the main stem which puts a lot of tension on them. Then, as they grow bigger and stronger, they can pull so hard they snap at the main trunk.

By supercropping them first you move the stress point out a bit and, more importantly, are not pulling them and creating a stress point.
I can agree with part of that, it does often put too much stress and I do break a branch every few plants. Especially if the training goes long.
There’s only like 10-15 days where I’m comfortable pinning branches and after that they become too stiff. I only train for a few weeks then pull my stakes, unlike @Carcass who taught me- he keeps his staked for almost their whole life. We often get similar results in weight but mine are usually taller, his always wider.

I can agree with part of that, it does often put too much stress and I do break a branch every few plants. Especially if the training goes long
My supercropping is only done really early in veg when they are still young and quite pliable. The stems can easily be snapped at this stage so that's why I press and bend them around something like a pen. Gives me much better precise control.

It's just to get the stem bent down and then it can grow out on that plane. But that's just what works for me. Everyone finds the hacks that work for them.

I like to supercrop the stems before training them. Right now you're pulling them out against the main stem which puts a lot of tension on them. Then, as they grow bigger and stronger, they can pull so hard they snap at the main trunk.

By supercropping them first you move the stress point out a bit and, more importantly, are not pulling them and creating a stress point.
I see what you mean. And this could also increase the SHOCK that JG was talking about. I tell you what. Ill try supercroping one side of the plant and just bending the other and see what comes of it. Im running off to work this fine Saturday morning so I won't be able to torture plants until this afternoon. Pics then.

One thing about this plant is that the branches were all very pliable and although the top ones look like they are stressed, they actually didn't take much to bend over. This is my first attempt with this technique so I am still trying to keep it less complicated. The cool stakes I made are very adjustable so I will be able to respond as needed.

One more question for @Azimuth
The SIP plant and watering. I put the Fake Harlequin ne Blue Dream Auto in the 5 gal bucket sip two days ago with a 1/2 liter top water and 1 liter in res. I checked the res and it was dry yesterday so I added another liter to the res and top watered a little, like 8-10 oz, just to keep the surface from drying out. This morning she still had nearly all the water still in the res so Im holding off until the res is dry again.
I can tell she is working on getting hooked up from transplant and is a bit droopy.
Should I only add to the res when it is dry? Should I wait a day when it is dry before adding any more? Im a little unsure yet.

One thing about this plant is that the branches were all very pliable and although the top ones look like they are stressed, they actually didn't take much to bend over.
Yeah, the technique is not for the now, but for later when it gets stronger. It's then that you want to have already established the structure.

Should I only add to the res when it is dry? Should I wait a day when it is dry before adding any more? Im a little unsure yet.
I only add enough water that it'll drink in a day or two as I figure if it's not using what's already there, there's no point in adding more that it won't use.

Thank for the tip, love this site so much great information. @Stonecrusher , watching your thread, girls look great.

WARNING if you don't like seedling pics - DON'T LOOK HERE!

Interesting how plans change. I thought I popped enough seeds 6 weeks ago to start a summer grow. But there were a couple of things I hadn't thought out. First, April is just too early to pop seeds for outdoor summer growing. My first run of seeds are already 6 weeks into veg and haven't even seen the sun yet. They have about 3 more months to veg outdoors before they start to bud, and at least 2 more months until harvest. Plenty of time to grow without the head start. Second, not every seed grows, or is what you were counting on. I had several duds, one male, and of course I have my friends who grow and count on me for starts each year.
So Im starting the outdoor grow all over!! Popping seeds again.

Here are the new ones, and a couple of cuts from the super nice Afghan Super Skunk plant.
I dropped this seed into a puck on Saturday, it had a tap root by Monday after work!!
I was going to keep them in coco pucs for a day or two, but changed my mind and potted all the sprouts up into 1 gal bags. Except for the autos which I put into their brand new SIPs!

Here is the autoflower I am trying to "shock" into growing @Justin Goody . This afternoon I think it looks bigger. Could be wishful thinking. Lets see what it looks like in a week. Either way I have never trained a plant like this so it is a good lesson.

Also increased lighting to 37 DLI on 18/6.

Here is the autoflower I am trying to "shock" into growing @Justin Goody . This afternoon I think it looks bigger. Could be wishful thinking. Lets see what it looks like in a week. Either way I have never trained a plant like this so it is a good lesson.

Also increased lighting to 37 DLI on 18/6.

I’m rooting for you but unfortunately the shock needs to start a bit before they are that far into flower. Once they establish, it’s tough to really tell them to do anything. Good practice for next time though

I’m rooting for you but unfortunately the shock needs to start a bit before they are that far into flower. Once they establish, it’s tough to really tell them to do anything. Good practice for next time though
Yes I think it may stretch a bit now but I was also thinking they were a bit to mature for any substantial geowthc
I think you are probably right that it was a little late to get the effect. I saw flowers forming for a couple of days before committing to the chop.
Now my big problem is whether to grow this plant out or not. I have a really hard time chopping something that made it this far.

I have two new autos I started this week and put into newly constructed SIPs. Ill be trying the technique on them now.

Yes I think it may stretch a bit now but I was also thinking they were a bit to mature for any substantial geowthc

I think you are probably right that it was a little late to get the effect. I saw flowers forming for a couple of days before committing to the chop.
Now my big problem is whether to grow this plant out or not. I have a really hard time chopping something that made it this far.

I have two new autos I started this week and put into newly constructed SIPs. Ill be trying the technique on them now.
Why not grow it out Crusher? You'll just be growing a smallish auto. No shame in that! :Rasta:

Why not grow it out Crusher? You'll just be growing a smallish auto. No shame in that! :Rasta:
No shame at all. I’ve had some very tiny autos, sometimes it just be like that …

I just can't kill a plant. Ill be growing it.. Even a smallish auto is good for a couple of jars. And it is worth the karma points:)

In the garden today.
The outdoor girls spent their first night out of the tent. They have been asking for a sleepover with the other garden plants so I put them out on the back deck with my freshly planted (and yet to be planted) tomatoes, peppers, and flowers. Temps got down to 45* last night and they took it well. Ill keep them in a moderately shady spot today to begin hardening.
The line up. AK-47 and Afghan Super Skunk are the taller 2. The other 4 are regs from seeds a friend made, accidentally. They all turned out female. All of these plants are destined to go outdoors at my "satellite farms", meaning my friends yards. Ill update the forum as they grow.

Your mighty midget looks good and happy. At least she's got more growth than my midget. I can count the buds it's so stunted! Let her grow, she's cute and she's come all this way, let it be for something. Life is a gift. 🌈🎁💚
You have a kind heart Jiggi!

Here is a nice little poem from one of my grower friends. He will be hosting 2 plants at his place this summer. Ill occasionally have updates here. He got a Chem 4 and an Afghan Super Skunk from this round of seeds.

I have a question for the hive.
How long can you leave the male plants before you risk pollinating the females?

If I had to guess I would think they need to develop for quite a while, maybe even as long as it takes for females to start making flowers. Outdoors this could be months. Indoors this relies on lighting schedule.

I culled a male from this grow last week just to be safe, but could I have kept it for a while?

If I had to guess I would think they need to develop for quite a while, maybe even as long as it takes for females to start making flowers. Outdoors this could be months. Indoors this relies on lighting schedule.

I culled a male from this grow last week just to be safe, but could I have kept it for a while?

I do daily inspections, and will pull any male found. Toss it in the compost pile. Except the male bleeder. He was relocated, and isolated. Otherwise I have never kept a male around. Some like to harvest pollen... Most want nothing to do with it.

Volunteer update:
I haven't done anything to these plants that must have come from last years pot farm.. until today. They are hanging in there without so much as regular water so they have earned their spot in the garden. Today I lightly dug up the soil and worked in some worm castings and compost mixed with Build A Soil Craft Blend and watered it in.
I know they are going to grow into each other, but I have yet to see if they are male or female so there are options.

Depends on how developed the male parts were when they were noticed.

The photo is of a plant (Klingon strain) from seed. I had taken a cutting earlier in the spring and rooted it. As soon as possible after the weather permitted I put both the clone and the mother on the patio. The clone started showing male and I waited two weeks to get the photo I wanted and then tossed both "mother plant" and clone onto the big compost pile in the sky.

As advanced as the male flowers are in the photo there was no problem with the nearby female plants developing any seeds. Those other female plants were within 10 feet of the male shown in the photo. The 'balls' near the top of the plant are younger than those near the bottom but even though those have already started to open up and the anthers/bananas showing they still have not produced enough pollen to be a problem. In this case two weeks was not a problem.

full

Back
Top Bottom