Stonecrusher's Backyard Bonanza - Bringing Out The Big Pots!

Depends on how developed the male parts were when they were noticed.

The photo is of a plant (Klingon strain) from seed. I had taken a cutting earlier in the spring and rooted it. As soon as possible after the weather permitted I put both the clone and the mother on the patio. The clone started showing male and I waited two weeks to get the photo I wanted and then tossed both "mother plant" and clone onto the big compost pile in the sky.

As advanced as the male flowers are in the photo there was no problem with the nearby female plants developing any seeds. Those other female plants were within 10 feet of the male shown in the photo. The 'balls' near the top of the plant are younger than those near the bottom but even though those have already started to open up and the anthers/bananas showing they still have not produced enough pollen to be a problem. In this case two weeks was not a problem.

full
That gives me a little relief. From the talk here people are quick to dispose of males but I have to assume they need time to develop some before they can actually deploy pollen.
I must also assume that the fems have to be in flower to get pollinated. A male throwing off pollen would probably not affect females in veg.

That gives me a little relief. From the talk here people are quick to dispose of males but I have to assume they need time to develop some before they can actually deploy pollen.
I must also assume that the fems have to be in flower to get pollinated. A male throwing off pollen would probably not affect females in veg.
WooHoo!

I have actually harvested seeds from Veg plants.

WooHoo!

I have actually harvested seeds from Veg plants.
So are you saying a plant in veg stage can be pollinated and develop seeds? I'm an open book and want to learn.
Did that plant also have seeds in flower?

So are you saying a plant in veg stage can be pollinated and develop seeds? I'm an open book and want to learn.
Did that plant also have seeds in flower?
WooHoo! YES!

I take cuttings when I throw them into 12/12, for the next round, So, they root then veg for 9+ weeks. I had a plant Hermi in veg and pollinated all my Veggers. I kept the seeds and tossed the plants.

WooHoo! YES!

I take cuttings when I throw them into 12/12, for the next round, So, they root then veg for 9+ weeks. I had a plant Hermi in veg and pollinated all my Veggers. I kept the seeds and tossed the plants.
I understand what you are saying and I have pollinated and taken seeds from plants that weren’t done yet.
BUT
Why in the world would you want hermi seeds?

I understand what you are saying and I have pollinated and taken seeds from plants that weren’t done yet.
BUT
Why in the world would you want hermi seeds?
WooHoo!

A group of my Grow friends split an order of the Original JEDI seeds, over $1000 for ten. They were supposed to be 41% THC (Bull$hit), they all hermied. I was hoping for a new KILLER strain. I didn't Grow any after I was told the offspring would probably hermy also.

WooHoo!

A group of my Grow friends split an order of the Original JEDI seeds, over $1000 for ten. They were supposed to be 41% THC (Bull$hit), they all hermied. I was hoping for a new KILLER strain. I didn't Grow any after I was told the offspring would probably hermy also.
Smart. The chances aren’t good…always better to do it the right way.
Though the strain sounds interesting!

WooHoo!

Sad. I hear it all too often. Ive had my own speed bumps in the past. Good genetics shouldn't be hard to find. You should be able to trust individuals, especially spending 💰 that kind of money.

Doing the @SeedsMan comparative, it has shown me good genetics still exist. I have been astonished with both the purple Ghost Candy, and banana Jealously strains. It's been very refreshing!

I hope that y'all have better luck next time. Keep your head up!

Hermie plants aren't ideal. But I will push that ugly to harvest. Still smokes good. I like em ugly!

Sad. I hear it all too often. Ive had my own speed bumps in the past. Good genetics shouldn't be hard to find. You should be able to trust individuals, especially spending 💰 that kind of money.

Doing the @SeedsMan comparative, it has shown me good genetics still exist. I have been astonished with both the purple Ghost Candy, and banana Jealously strains. It's been very refreshing!

Hermie plants aren't ideal. But I will push that ugly to harvest. Still smokes good. I like em ugly!
That was probably 15 years ago. I haven't bought seeds since. Watching everyone here, I am making a list of Seeds to consider! PGP and Banana Jealousy are on the list!

Ya never know, after I start Journaling, they may send me Free Seeds in hopes I use them?

That was probably 15 years ago. I haven't bought seeds since. Watching everyone here, I am making a list of Seeds to consider! PGP and Banana Jealousy are on the list!

Ya never know, after I start Journaling, they may send me Free Seeds in hopes I use them?
Had good luck with seedsman autos, great germination rate from them too.

Im actually jealous of the Banana Jealousy and Ghost Candy grow off. I will be throwing in for the next round.

Good morning
Saturday is here and it feels great to sleep in, have a little coffee and play with the plants. Ill get to the chores later.
I built 2 new SIPs @Azimuth. I am going for the full SIP autoflower protocol.
Seeds: Gelato Auto, Jack Herrer (i had them in the fridge), last of my auto stash.
Soil: Re-amended Build A Soil
Popped seed directly in a coco coin
As soon as it showed I transplanted to the 5 gal SIP and am hand watering from the top about 2 or 3 oz every 2 days, just enough to get it established.
When it reaches the edges of the pot Ill begin filling the SIP
I am not sure exactly how to go, but I think Ill start by adding about 1/2 gallon at a time and let it run dry between waterings. Ill increase the amount when it starts running trough 1/2 gallon per day.

Look at the tap root on that Gelato Auto! This happened in ~48 hrs from seed in coco puck.
The SIPs are taking over my 3x3
This is a Blue Dream Auto that was a slow starter. I mixed her up with the photoperiods for the outdoor grow. I had it in a 1 gal bag until it started to flower and showed me who she was. Only then did I transplant to a SIP at around 6 weeks. It is going pretty well, but won't be a big plant.

Seedling in SIP getting hand watered until they get bigger
Just in case you missed the last picture.

Take me to church! They're praying like nuns in a convent.
Here are the outdoor plants ready to head to new homes today. I began hardening them two days ago and it seems to agree with them. I went out this morning to check them and they are praying like nothing Ive ever seen! They look sooo healthy and eager to get their roots down.

Take me to church! They're praying like nuns in a convent.
Here are the outdoor plants ready to head to new homes today. I began hardening them two days ago and it seems to agree with them. I went out this morning to check them and they are praying like nothing Ive ever seen! They look sooo healthy and eager to get their roots down.

They look like they're at a Revival service, Crusher! :Rasta:

Question: Should I top water the nutes in, or should I add the solution to the reservoir? I was thinking that once a week I would add some bloom nutes from here on.
This is my first plant in a SIP. It is really looking good and has definitely "hooked up" as they say. It is drinking the res dry on 1 liter per day of plain water.
She is at 7 weeks and has some nice buds developing. I have an itch to add some bloom nutes even though the plant looks great.
Can @Azimuth or @Justin Goody comment on adding nutes? I have some Roots Organics Terp Tea Bloom. I believe the goal is to make sure there is enough Calcium and Magnesium to keep everything balance and taking nutrients.

Fake Harlequin- ne- Blue Dream Auto.

Question: Should I top water the nutes in, or should I add the solution to the reservoir? I was thinking that once a week I would add some bloom nutes from here on.
This is my first plant in a SIP. It is really looking good and has definitely "hooked up" as they say. It is drinking the res dry on 1 liter per day of plain water.
She is at 7 weeks and has some nice buds developing. I have an itch to add some bloom nutes even though the plant looks great.
Can @Azimuth or @Justin Goody comment on adding nutes? I have some Roots Organics Terp Tea Bloom. I believe the goal is to make sure there is enough Calcium and Magnesium to keep everything balance and taking nutrients.

Fake Harlequin- ne- Blue Dream Auto.
For a SIP I might refer you to @Carcass as I’ve only ever done 1 of those.

As far as bloom nutes, most of my plants are grown in 1 part, with the addition of calcium/mag as needed, Purpinator to finish. She looks healthy!

Thanks for the tag, Son!
Question: Should I top water the nutes in, or should I add the solution to the reservoir?
Here's how I've done it- seems to work pretty well-
The SIP gets top watered once, on transplant day- this is also what it takes to get the SIP wicking like it should- from then on, everything gets fed through the rez, and I keep the rez topped up the best I can...right now, my plant is drinking a quart every 4 hours, which means I fill the rez every 4 hours-(rez holds half a gallon) kind of a pain in the ass, but it's worth it in the end..(my last plant in the box gave me 13 oz of kickass weed..)
I have an itch to add some bloom nutes even though the plant looks great.
I don't blame you, I always want to do that too- but I learned a long time ago that you can fry a plant overnight if you add just a little too much, so I start small, and work my way up if the plant responds well ...
Just be careful with them- they're more powerful than you'd think...

Thanks for the tag, Son!

Here's how I've done it- seems to work pretty well-
The SIP gets top watered once, on transplant day- this is also what it takes to get the SIP wicking like it should- from then on, everything gets fed through the rez, and I keep the rez topped up the best I can...right now, my plant is drinking a quart every 4 hours, which means I fill the rez every 4 hours-(rez holds half a gallon) kind of a pain in the ass, but it's worth it in the end..(my last plant in the box gave me 13 oz of kickass weed..)

I don't blame you, I always want to do that too- but I learned a long time ago that you can fry a plant overnight if you add just a little too much, so I start small, and work my way up if the plant responds well ...
Just be careful with them- they're more powerful than you'd think...
Im glad to have someone who has more experience here. I also assume @Grand Daddy Black would have good advice about nutes, if not SIPs.
I also have not even filled the reservoir to capacity. Ive only ever put 1L in and I think it would hold at 4L (1gallon) if I want to fill it up.
My plan for now: Mix bloom nutes at 1/2 strength, add 1 L through the reservoir and see how it responds.
I want to slowly increase the water volume I add to the reservoir since that is what it is for. I just have a fear of overwatering from some earlier indoor growing mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom