Stubborn germination solution

y2kayo

Okay so some of you probably seen my other threads about me struggling to get my seeds to germinate.

I've been trying everything.

Someone mentioned that someone else figured out that the bleach or whatever chemical residue left over in the paper towels from turning them white were actually killing off their seeds before they could start.

To be honest at first I thought that was the dumbest thing I ever heard and could not way be my problem.

WELL,
I switched out the white towels for brown napkins and today when I checked before bed (2 and 1/2 days) I HAVE DISCOVERED TAP ROOTS. They are still small so I'm going to keep checking every day or so and will be as gentle as humanly possible when handling. I am literally so relived.

I had 3 that spent a day in the white towel before switching them to the napkin and my fingers are crossed that they will do the same.

If.they don't grow tap roots ive decided that's the reason why Ive been struggling so bad.

So please if you are new or semi new to growing this plant PLEASE TAKE ADVICE OF OTHERS IF WHAT YOUR DOING CLEARLY ISNT WORKING. It just might be the factor that is working against you.

Thanks guys, cheers

Okay so some of you probably seen my other threads about me struggling to get my seeds to germinate.

I've been trying everything.

Someone mentioned that someone else figured out that the bleach or whatever chemical residue left over in the paper towels from turning them white were actually killing off their seeds before they could start.

To be honest at first I thought that was the dumbest thing I ever heard and could not way be my problem.

WELL,
I switched out the white towels for brown napkins and today when I checked before bed (2 and 1/2 days) I HAVE DISCOVERED TAP ROOTS. They are still small so I'm going to keep checking every day or so and will be as gentle as humanly possible when handling. I am literally so relived.

I had 3 that spent a day in the white towel before switching them to the napkin and my fingers are crossed that they will do the same.

If.they don't grow tap roots ive decided that's the reason why Ive been struggling so bad.

So please if you are new or semi new to growing this plant PLEASE TAKE ADVICE OF OTHERS IF WHAT YOUR DOING CLEARLY ISNT WORKING. It just might be the factor that is working against you.

Thanks guys, cheers
For the record what brand of paper towels were they? I always used no- brand name generic store brand. CL🍀

We have no way of knowing how they treat the paper and it could be different for every batch as far as we know. I'm just always aware that they *could* use things that deter life, so I avoid /shrug
I think I found the stuff that works for me but what do you use instead of paper towels

Hey @y2kayo,

Just for future reference, when you post a thread, best to just keep all the related questions in one thread. I think you are up to 3 with this one.

Anyway... best to use natural, unbleached (brown) paper towels. If you can't find them at a supermarket, try a natural food store.

Keep in mind also that if the seed is too old, they are just not going to sprout – they may crack, but no tails will form. With fresh seed, I get tails in 1-2 days. Sometimes you can get old seed to sprout, but you have to work some major magic for that to happen. It depends on how seed is stored. Eventually the DNA in the seed will be too damaged, and they won't grow.

Some of the most fresh seed I've purchased has come from Humboldt Seed Company, and they put a date on the seed package. Their seeds are available from some of our sponsors.

Hey @y2kayo,

Just for future reference, when you post a thread, best to just keep all the related questions in one thread. I think you are up to 3 with this one.

Anyway... best to use natural, unbleached (brown) paper towels. If you can't find them at a supermarket, try a natural food store.

Keep in mind also that if the seed is too old, they are just not going to sprout – they may crack, but no tails will form. With fresh seed, I get tails in 1-2 days. Sometimes you can get old seed to sprout, but you have to work some major magic for that to happen. It depends on how seed is stored. Eventually the DNA in the seed will be too damaged, and they won't grow.

Some of the most fresh seed I've purchased has come from Humboldt Seed Company, and they put a date on the seed package. Their seeds are available from some of our sponsors.

Yeah I hear you, I went through hell getting these things to tail and tried 3 different things so they kind of evolved as my situation did. I can see how it's annoying but I wanted as many fresh eyes as possible

I had first heard about bleach in paper towels years and years ago in a newspaper article which mentioned how a research team found really high concentrations of bleach in the river water just below a paper mill that made paper towels. Then several years ago another article where growers were finding high levels of bleach and cleaners while testing for chemicals in paper towels that were being used like you are.

This morning I looked it up and came across that bleach is being used in the making of these towels and it can be chlorine or a peroxide bleach. Plus some companies are putting other chemicals in the towels to help make it easier for the towels to clean up spills or whatever.

And, some Bounty towels have a small amount of dish soaps added in the final stages of the manufacturing process.

honestly if you are having trouble with paper towels just get some rapid rooters. i've germinated in paper towels for decades and it has to be the pissiest method out there lol.

Back
Top Bottom