As far as filtering goes, who cares if there is a little plant material in the oil if it's for oral, sublingual, or topical administration? If you want to have pure golden dabs that burn kitchen clean, that's a different thing, isn't it?

CCO as it applies to this thread? A little plant matter is a non-issue. A clean dab is not the point here, is it?

Thank you, I agree with you here. I make mine into bio bomb material for smoothies, so that particulate matter doesn't bother me at all. I speak as someone who bakes her brownies with the plant material though, fairly old school. There are those who are less comfortable with those relaxed standards than you and I might be. I'm willing to encourage finding ways to filter for their sake.

If you personally wanted to filter out fine particulates from CCO, what might you choose as a filtering material PeeJay? This is a new idea to me and I'm kinda lost here. I've come across posts suggesting that even the mesh coffee filters let fine particulates through.

Yes, yes, Sue. Eat your mangos. No harm in that.

I admire your efforts to make sense of it all. Carry on. I bet you've taken a bunch of ibuprofen in your day without ever paying a lick of notice to the pharmacology behind it...

Kind of fun seeing your exploration of lipid metabolism. Have you watched Lorenzo's oil recently? That's about jamming the VLTG synthesis enzymes...

I'm pretty tuned into the whole thing and spend my time reading elsewhere with a critical eye.

The study hall is pretty cool and all, but maybe you should step it up a notch and add references for your information? I have a free version of EndNote I can send you if you'd like?

I also have another question,

When making the oil, if all co2 bubbles have gone, thats higher in CBN, right?
If this is what i wanted, higher CBN, would the oil still contain enough THC to be affective against cancer?

Nice capsules Chewey. :high-five: Will you be taking these yourself now?

I'd assume the same about the bubbles. Yes, after full decarb, when all the bubbles have been purged, the oil is higher in CBN, but that doesn't effect the THC numbers or the oil's ability to be powerful cancer-fighting medication. The rate of change isn't as much as we used to think it was. I'd think this is one of the reasons it's suggested to start with strains very high in THC, wouldn't you?

Yes, yes, Sue. Eat your mangos. No harm in that.

I admire your efforts to make sense of it all. Carry on. I bet you've taken a bunch of ibuprofen in your day without ever paying a lick of notice to the pharmacology behind it...

Kind of fun seeing your exploration of lipid metabolism. Have you watched Lorenzo's oil recently? That's about jamming the VLTG synthesis enzymes...

I'm pretty tuned into the whole thing and spend my time reading elsewhere with a critical eye.

The study hall is pretty cool and all, but maybe you should step it up a notch and add references for your information? I have a free version of EndNote I can send you if you'd like?

Yes I very much would like PeeJay. That would be greatly appreciated. Ill make a stronger effort going forward and see about getting some editing done to beef up what's already been posted. I'll make good use of it. Thank you. :hug: Can you send it through the PM system?

You'd lose that bet. Not a fan of taking any pills and thankfully, I have a healthy disposition that hasn't required much by way of pain meds over my more than 62 years. I read labels and drug studies and prefer to meditate my aches, pains and frustrations away. Aging hippy over here. Gracefully aging, I'll have you know. :laughtwo:

No, I haven't seen Lorenzo's oil. Thanks for the reference. I'll make sure to pull it up.

Sue, if my goal was to produce an extract without plant material or water solubles in it I would choose a different solute that striped the oils from the plant at a very low temperature (-20 F at least) and pass it through a very fine filter while the lipids were still in solution with the solvent.

But, that is of no importance to CCOers at all. This is not a journal about producing clean dabs, is it?

:laughtwo: How crazy is it that I read a sentence like " That's about jamming the VLTG synthesis enzymes..." and the heart starts to beat faster? Geez, what's it going to be like when I actually understand it? Lol!

Sue, if my goal was to produce an extract without plant material or water solubles in it I would choose a different solute that striped the oils from the plant at a very low temperature (-20 F at least) and pass it through a very fine filter while the lipids were still in solution with the solvent.

But, that is of no importance to CCOers at all. This is not a journal about producing clean dabs, is it?

You are so right PeeJay. Point taken.

Yes I very much would like PeeJay. That would be greatly appreciated. Ill make a stronger effort going forward and see about getting some editing done to beef up what's already been posted. I'll make good use of it. Thank you. :hug: Can you send it through the PM system?

You'd lose that bet. Not a fan of taking any pills and thankfully, I have a healthy disposition that hasn't required much by way of pain meds over my more than 62 years. I read labels and drug studies and prefer to meditate my aches, pains and frustrations away. Aging hippy over here. Gracefully aging, I'll have you know. :laughtwo:

No, I haven't seen Lorenzo's oil. Thanks for the reference. I'll make sure to pull it up.

It's a great movie - kind of a tear jerker. Watch it. After you watch it then google Lorenzo's oil and look for academic discussions of the "sink."

I'll take your word on the headache pills, but I know you like your coffee. What about the pharmacology of caffeine?

It's a complicated...

Mostly, end users want easy. The mechanisms are complicated. Eating an apple is good for you. Simple. The details are more complex. I don't you really need to understand all the ins and outs of it.

Mostly, if someone thinks CCO might help them, there is little evidence that it will mess them up.

What chaps my arse is that trying CCO is expensive. Heck, I can try a medication for my yellow cracking toenails if I call my Dr. tomorrow even if it might make me grow a tail!

R
It's a great movie - kind of a tear jerker. Watch it. After you watch it then google Lorenzo's oil and look for academic discussions of the "sink."

I'll take your word on the headache pills, but I know you like your coffee. What about the pharmacology of caffeine?

It's a complicated...

Mostly, end users want easy. The mechanisms are complicated. Eating an apple is good for you. Simple. The details are more complex. I don't you really need to understand all the ins and outs of it.

Mostly, if someone thinks CCO might help them, there is little evidence that it will mess them up.

What chaps my arse is that trying CCO is expensive. Heck, I can try a medication for my yellow cracking toenails if I call my Dr. tomorrow even if it might make me grow a tail!

I enjoy learning the ins and outs though. That's really why I started the study hall. I have one of those brains that wants to know the ins and outs. I'm fascinated by the fine detail and thrill at the wonder of how this complicated dance gets carried out.

We've had some interesting discoveries as we've wandered together, and we'll uncover more as we go on.

As a predominantly recreational user, I couldn't agree with you more about the expense. If I were treating cancer I don't think cost would be my prime consideration, although for too many people it is out of necessity.

As far as filtering goes, who cares if there is a little plant material in the oil if it's for oral, sublingual, or topical administration? If you want to have pure golden dabs that burn kitchen clean, that's a different thing, isn't it?

CCO as it applies to this thread? A little plant matter is a non-issue. A clean dab is not the point here, is it?

I'm glad you pointed that out mate :) I think there is a time and place for purity! That concept would probably be more appropriately addressed on a thread focused on Cannabinoidal and Terpene Acetates ;)

Thank you guys for the response on my oil questions. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I understand for making dabs this probably isn't the best method but for me is was more about just using up some bud that I wasn't totally fond of and well if it didn't turn out well no harm no foul.
I do think next time I will wash just a bit quicker as I noticed my wash was a little green and I'm guessing greener then you want it to be. I was using unbleached coffee filters but maybe finding a better micron filter would be the way to go since the coffee filters take a little while to filter through with the plant matter. Now that I've had a few days to test it out and had a few friends over to give me their opinion it's not as bad as I first thought I am just a bit of a perfectionist and well if I'm going to do something I always like it to be done right and I guess thats the fun part about our hobbies we usually get lots of practice to correct little imperfections. I have made notes and next batch will get a few tweaks. Hope very one had a great weekend!

I'm glad you pointed that out mate :) I think there is a time and place for purity! That concept would probably be more appropriately addressed on a thread focused on Cannabinoidal and Terpene Acetates ;)

Now that's a thread I'd like to see.

Thank you guys for the response on my oil questions. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I understand for making dabs this probably isn't the best method but for me is was more about just using up some bud that I wasn't totally fond of and well if it didn't turn out well no harm no foul.
I do think next time I will wash just a bit quicker as I noticed my wash was a little green and I'm guessing greener then you want it to be. I was using unbleached coffee filters but maybe finding a better micron filter would be the way to go since the coffee filters take a little while to filter through with the plant matter. Now that I've had a few days to test it out and had a few friends over to give me their opinion it's not as bad as I first thought I am just a bit of a perfectionist and well if I'm going to do something I always like it to be done right and I guess thats the fun part about our hobbies we usually get lots of practice to correct little imperfections. I have made notes and next batch will get a few tweaks. Hope very one had a great weekend!

I'm glad we could help you out RheinRover. I'd be interested in seeing how your next batch comes out. I've been wondering about fine screen filtering myself, because the coffee filters are so slow. ShiggityFlip suggested using a brine bath like you'd use for making ice cream when doing the washes, an idea that piqued my interest. Walking through Target yesterday the ice cream-making display caught my eye, and I believe this is a technique I'll attempt next time.

That is such a great idea. I was wondering how to keep everything as cold as possible and that would be perfect for when its filtering. Keeping the jars super cold the whole time. I put mine in the fridge while it was filtering but we all know that not nearly cold enough. Could make a ice bath in a smaller sized cooler that way you could fit 3 jars no problem. Now I just need to find a way to keep them from floating away but that seems to be an easy fix.

That is such a great idea. I was wondering how to keep everything as cold as possible and that would be perfect for when its filtering. Keeping the jars super cold the whole time. I put mine in the fridge while it was filtering but we all know that not nearly cold enough. Could make a ice bath in a smaller sized cooler that way you could fit 3 jars no problem. Now I just need to find a way to keep them from floating away but that seems to be an easy fix.

Please try to document it with pictures when you give it a go. This may be one of those great ideas we stumble upon that ends up benefitting everyone. :woohoo:

I filtered mine in the freezer :)

Now that's a thread I'd like to see.

The scientific part of my mind is very stimulated by the concept. Water soluble THC or even better CBD. Game changer. Did I just maybe sneaky slip one of the other projects I'm working on :p ??

I filtered mine in the freezer :)

I did this at one point too. Using a brine mix, like Shiggity suggested, sounds really interesting. His suggestion was to agitate for 15 seconds and let it rest for 30 seconds. Repeat several times and strain. I'd figure work in the same 3 minute segments and I'm thinking my next batch I might keep the washes separate, just to see what the difference is in quality.

Sue,

Do a search for vacuum funnel and the filters that go with it. You may also need a small neck beaker. I do not have one but it is on the wish list. They are not that expensive.

Something that I think should be added to oil making procedures is a caution about 'supper boiling' when the oil is thickening up.

An item I am questioning is the winterizing after filtering. Other than an tempt to remove some water I am lost for a reason to do it. I do not know what the chemistry of the process is. Or, if there is any kind of process going on at all. The less transferring and filtering, the less wast. It is probably worth looking into.

Best

Sue,

Do a search for vacuum funnel and the filters that go with it. You may also need a small neck beaker. I do not have one but it is on the wish list. They are not that expensive.

Something that I think should be added to oil making procedures is a caution about 'supper boiling' when the oil is thickening up.

An item I am questioning is the winterizing after filtering. Other than an tempt to remove some water I am lost for a reason to do it. I do not know what the chemistry of the process is. Or, if there is any kind of process going on at all. The less transferring and filtering, the less wast. It is probably worth looking into.

Best

You know Canyon, I'd been contemplating that as well. If the washes are executed well, what could be the purpose of that final winterization? Without the ability to have anything tested I'm only guessing at what difference it could make, but there was nothing caught by my filters on that final filtering. If you had visible particulate matter or obvious pollution of chlorophyll maybe it'd be called for. But if you're managing the washes properly there shouldn't be anything to filter out.

I'm finding there's a lot that gets done just because that's the way it's always been done. I'm a non-conformist by nature. I'm always looking for another way to do things against the norm. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom