Every inch of the plant, from the soil line up, is covered with trichomes, most just one cell high. I believe the trichomes on the fan leaves are slightly different from those on the buds and again from those on the stem and branches. I use parts of the whole plant when I make oil, because I want as many different components as I can get in there.

You can save trim and make butter or cooking oil with it. It's not as potent as made with bud, but it still has medicinal value. There are many patients who juice fan leaves, freezing extras so that they have a supply all year round.

There's not a part of the plant that can't be used to benefit somewhere. The stems and branches can even be used as smoking wood in a cooker.
We use the whole plant too. If it's not used for smoking and cooking, it'll be used in a topical pain reliever, or for compost in the worm composter. Then it'll go back in the soil for future grows. We even gave the main stalk to the rabbit to eat, digest, then his droppings go into the composter to make nutrient rich castings. We have the circle of life going with it. We love it. All the plant gets used here.

Thanks, guys! :)
Now, I scraped a bit off the parchment paper with a toothpick and managed to tack it on my bottom gums at 7am, checked an hour later, and it was still there. :) Stayed up till around 11 am, then crashed out. I woke about about an hour ago with a pretty bad headache. How could this be? Please tell me it's a strange coincidence!
I couldn't even tell ya when the last time I partook in any cannabis activities so, I am certainly not used to having it in my system, per say... But, I wanted to give this oil I made a try before giving it to my dad. Be my own guinea pig. I can't for the life of me figure out how or why I have such a bad headache right now. Besides perhaps all this stress and the fact that I've barely gotten an hour or 2-3 every day for the last week or so, maybe my brain has just had enough?? I do get migraines VERY regularly so it isn't unusual for me to wake up with a knocker like this but it just surprised me to wake up with one 8 hrs after I tried about a 1/4 grain of rice size tack.

Any ideas? It couldn't be BECAUSE of the oil, could it? I can't imagine I did anything wrong making it! I hope....

well after my 15 hour run I had a whopper of a hangover lol came with a nasty headache too.

I think, like yourself it was due to being a non regular user.

oh and thanks to everyone for the advice on whole plant use.

hey sue, yes I used just trim for my butter and olive oil. slightly higher ratio than mb suggests. I just used what I had split in 2 for the 2 different batches. 100g dry for 5 cups butter same for oil.

and its a kicker.

Thanks, guys! :)
Now, I scraped a bit off the parchment paper with a toothpick and managed to tack it on my bottom gums at 7am, checked an hour later, and it was still there. :) Stayed up till around 11 am, then crashed out. I woke about about an hour ago with a pretty bad headache. How could this be? Please tell me it's a strange coincidence!
I couldn't even tell ya when the last time I partook in any cannabis activities so, I am certainly not used to having it in my system, per say... But, I wanted to give this oil I made a try before giving it to my dad. Be my own guinea pig. I can't for the life of me figure out how or why I have such a bad headache right now. Besides perhaps all this stress and the fact that I've barely gotten an hour or 2-3 every day for the last week or so, maybe my brain has just had enough?? I do get migraines VERY regularly so it isn't unusual for me to wake up with a knocker like this but it just surprised me to wake up with one 8 hrs after I tried about a 1/4 grain of rice size tack.

Any ideas? It couldn't be BECAUSE of the oil, could it? I can't imagine I did anything wrong making it! I hope....

From what I saw in your pictures you did a bang-up job Tanja. I doubt it's from the oil. That's something I can't be positive of, but you yourself admit to being prone to migraines and seriously sleep deprived. The headache could be due to a couple things, so that would be difficult to determine. Toss a hefty dose of cannabinoids into a fresh system already stressed to the max and yeah, I could see a headache, but not from bad oil. From stress and fatigue.

Eight hours after your tack and that dose should be through the system.

unforgiven makes a good point about the hangover. THC can do that.

Thanks again, guys!

So, the 1/4 of rice grain dose was "healthy size"? I have to say, I didn't feel "high" maybe a bit different but definitely NOT anything like the feeling I would get from taking just 1 or 2 pulls from a bowl.... So, is that a good thing? Or does it mean the oil I made is shitty? I'm assuming I tacked it correctly since a good amount of it was still stuck to my gums an hour after I put it there. Did I not feel high because I tacked instead of ingesting it?

The "hangover" theory is good to learn of.... I never heard of such a thing. Thank u for that possible reasoning. And it could be the explanation, because this headache feels a bit different from the ones I tend to get, so maybe that's why.
Although, under my current circumstances, there's a VERY good chance it's just due to the stress, CONSTANT reading and lack of sleep. Just nice to know it wasn't because I did something wrong making the oil.

I wouldn't say I know, however, I have some thoughts. Again, I refer to John Kohler (no, I have no affiliation with him or any of his sites, I simply refer to the information he's provided). You can see here and here his thoughts and he has far more experience with them than I do. I also stumbled upon this page which seemed to agree with at least some of John's thoughts. One comment I'll make about that last page is that they claim that the empirical and anecdotal evidence suggests you don't need to drink the juice straight away, however, I already linked to a published paper where they showed that fresh cabbage juice helped with peptic ulcers. Subsequently, it seems to me that in some cases having it as fresh as possible is a requirement. In this case I guess making the juice for a whole day in one go is probably an acceptable compromise (especially if you remove as much air/oxygen as possible by filling glass bottles and storing them in the fridge).

I consider it psuedo-logic when people suggest centrifugal juicers raise the temperature of the juice because they operate at high speed. Unfortunately, statements like these seem to be similar to hearing one side of the story. What I mean by that is you could also argue using similar logic that "cold press" juicers would heat the juice more because of the high pressures involved.

When choosing a juicer there's a number of things to consider, how noisy it is, how easy it is to clean, how efficient it is at juicing what you want to juice, etc. You can see plenty of comparison videos by John Kohler on Youtube, unfortunately he has the gift of the gab and talks a lot so it may take a bit of time to watch them...

Contrary to what SweetSue said, while I was thinking about what to say in this response I thought you mentioned that you were getting a medical card or something so you could get medicinal cannabis which says to me that it's legal in your state. I have no idea how all of this works but you could always try to find out where they grow their crops and see if any of them are willing to give you any clippings they would normally throw away. You could then include these in juices/smoothies as well. If you search for "John Kohler cannabis" you find a video "How I Got High for 10 Hours on Raw Cannabis Leaves" (I swear I'm not associated with him, I'm not even in the same country!) where he uses a vertical single auger juicer to juice the cannabis leaves (I'm not sure how goo this is compared to the lemongrass juicer).

Finally, have a look at as many videos and read as much as you can before deciding on a juicer. You may find that the more efficient juicers don't justify the cost when you consider the cost of what you'll juice. On the other hand a small improvement in efficiency may make all the difference in reduced produce costs. It depends on how much each are where you are...

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN, FOOKINEL!

Thanks to the links u provided me, I was able to learn EXACTLY what I needed to know and just ordered the juicer I'm pretty confident will do the best most efficient job for what I need! You pointed me in the perfect direction, I'm SO grateful!! Means so much to me that you guys are taking time out of your busy lives to help and guide me. Honestly, I don't know how I could be getting through this without Ya's! I feel so blessed to have found you!❤❤❤

Thanks again, guys!

So, the 1/4 of rice grain dose was "healthy size"? I have to say, I didn't feel "high" maybe a bit different but definitely NOT anything like the feeling I would get from taking just 1 or 2 pulls from a bowl.... So, is that a good thing? Or does it mean the oil I made is shitty? I'm assuming I tacked it correctly since a good amount of it was still stuck to my gums an hour after I put it there. Did I not feel high because I tacked instead of ingesting it?

The "hangover" theory is good to learn of.... I never heard of such a thing. Thank u for that possible reasoning. And it could be the explanation, because this headache feels a bit different from the ones I tend to get, so maybe that's why.
Although, under my current circumstances, there's a VERY good chance it's just due to the stress, CONSTANT reading and lack of sleep. Just nice to know it wasn't because I did something wrong making the oil.

1/4 grain of rice is a good size. I've never tacked, so I can't speak to that. I recommend you take tacking questions to the tutorial on tacking. They'll have the expertise to answer those questions. Here's a link to the current page. They'd be able to tell you if the oil could have contributed to your headache, so wander over there and ask.

Cannabis Oil Dosing Tutorial - Tacking Method

It's my understanding that the tack should absorb within 20 minutes or so. They'll be able to advise you on that as well.

Done properly you don't get extreme euphoria at all with tacking, so you did well Tanja.

Awfully sticky, isn't it? :laughtwo:

Great stuff going on in here Sue, thanks to all. Been very busy at work, sorry for being slimmer around here the past couple of weeks.

THC Hangover? I do remember what an alcohol hangover feels like (like about 30 years ago), and they were bad enough for me to swear off drinking alcohol in any major quantity forever. NOT worth the buzz even as a youngster to me, but obviously if judging by alcohol sales, I'm not normal!

It is almost a new subject to me, I can't say I've read much of anything concerning THC hangover online over the last few years.

I really don't think I've experienced a THC hangover before (Yay!).

Could anyone that does experience them describe the symptoms please?

Best of Buds

JB

:Namaste:

I've never had one from anything I grow, but I recall times in the past when I woke the next morning feeling blah with a tinge of headache and the only thing I had the night before was cannabis. It's so far in my past now that I question the memory.

HI all!

Just wanted to report that I just got home from my parent's house...I brought my oil down there and gave them a "course in tacking" well...to the best of my amateuer ability.:cheesygrinsmiley: I also brought some CBD based capsules infused with coconut oil that I also acquired. I tested one of those myself, as well (a couple days ago) and took one hoping it would help me get some sleep. I made sure I stayed up for a couple hours before I let it shut my eyes and I did get some sleep without any ill feeling or uncomfortable side effects. So, I figured it wasn't too potent for my dad.

Anyways, I got there at about 8:30 and he wanted to try one of my "sleeping pills" more or less right away, so I gave it to him. I warmed it up in my hand so the coconut oil melted and shook it up good. Then I opened it up and dumped it under his tongue. He told me he wasn't tired and we talked for maybe 30 minutes (me explaining my plan of action for him and telling him what I'm going to be doing to treat him starting NOW.) and then I went into the kitchen to explain some things to my mom and brother about the oil I just brought them and how to tack it to my dad's gums. Went back in the bedroom to give my dad a small tack, and he was snoring! Funny, because he insisted he wasn't tired, but, whatever.:laughtwo: So, I woke him up and handed him a paper towel so he could dry his gums before I tried to tack it. Did it, and had it all tacked to his bottom gum in 2 spots/tacks. Everything went smooth and he said he didn't taste anything (neither did I when I tried it myself this morning, which surprised me because I have ALWAYS been really sensitive to the taste of bud and I ALWAYS HATED IT...sorry, guys...try to refrain from yelling at me for that one). So, it was probably around 9:15ish when I gave him the tack...It was about 1/4 grain of rice, just like the dose I gave myself this morning. I stayed for about 2.5 hours after that to monitor how he was feeling and he snoozed and woke up several times, stayed awake for quite some time, off and on. The tack stayed in place just as mine did this morning. My mother said he seemed to be "sleeping a lot sounder than he usually does." The doctors have him on Ambien, but I told my mother he is not to have that anymore, at least until we see how his NEW sleepy pills work...so no Ambien for dad tonight or tomorrow and then some. Anyway, he said he felt just fine and really no different than he did before I got there, so I took that as a good sign that I didn't overdose him AT ALL. Then he said he was "ready for bed" and I talked a bit more with mom and bro and then I left.
I'm going to go back there tomorrow morning and give him a little bit bigger tack, and see how that goes for the daytime dose tomorrow...seeing how the size I gave him tonight coupled with the capsule didn't bother him at all, I assume it's safe to give him a little more. Don't ya'll say, the higher the amount of cannabinoids you can get into the system, the better? As long as it isn't giving an uncomfortable euphoric feeling, right?:thumb:

So, I just wanted to check-in and let ya'll know how dad's first official treatment went. He is excited to get started and didn't even get pissy when I informed him of his strict diet changes that are coming! He's excited to get his new juicer and I told him I want him drinking a fresh glass of juice with the hemp seeds and apricot seeds blended in, every 2 hours (alternating off and on with the shitty supplemental "food" the doctors have my mother pouring into his feeding tube) the whole time he is awake during the day. I want to get as many good nutrients into his system as often as he can stomach it, so we can start putting some weight back on him and hopefully give him a little bit of energy. He says he's going to listen to everything I tell him he needs to do and I saw a fire come back in his eyes that I haven't seen for quite some time. He WANTS to live and he WANTS to get better and I can see it in him....I feel that, in itself, has perhaps given us a little more of a chance to get him back.:love: I can tell, he does NOT want to die...NOT YET. He's ready to fight!!!:cheer::high-five::clap:

Tanja......... :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

That, my dear, is what we call an auspicious beginning. One steady and methodical step at a time. And yes, the more cannabinoids we can get in the better. If he continues to be responsive and improves as the week progresses you want to get suppositories started. That's going to be a significant bump in bioavailble cannabinoids. He needs the THC to get at the tumor cells.

I can't tell you how moved I am at your courage and tenacity. Keep that fire going in his eyes. As a parent I can only imagine how proud your parents must be feeling right now. :love:

Alright Sue, I've got some questions for you about making oil. I remember you making a wash in your freezer. Is there a link to those posts anywhere? Nis has put me in charge of making the oil. Also, can the oil be made into dabs?

Well Canna, you made me chortle with glee. I'm just waking up. Give me a few. Making a small amount for dabbing is easy. You do the same process without decarb. I do a small batch, reduce it in a custard cup, scrape it into parchment paper and store it with the vape pen.

Concentrates are going to change your world, both recreationally and medicinally. You're going to enjoy this. :battingeyelashes:

Well Canna, you made me chortle with glee. I'm just waking up. Give me a few. Making a small amount for dabbing is easy. You do the same process without decarb. I do a small batch, reduce it in a custard cup, scrape it into parchment paper and store it with the vape pen.

Concentrates are going to change your world, both recreationally and medicinally. You're going to enjoy this. :battingeyelashes:
Take your time sue. I'll be here all day. Kids are with their father. Nis is working. It's just me, the dogs, and the rabbit. The rain, can't forget the rain and storms. It's a good day to be inside enjoying the storm. :)

Canna, watch this video to start. We've added some significant changes, but this is a good starting point. I'll catch you up with questions in an hour or so.

Here's a link to the beginning of my process. It continues over the next couple pages.

SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall

I wanted to repost this for my own benefit. I get caught up in the passion sometimes, and PeeJay has this marvelous way of cutting to the quick and reigning me back in. Lol! He once referred to me as a wild pony. Hahaha! Sweet man. I keep worrying about the terpenes loss, and PeeJay pointed out that those terpenes are readily available in a well-rounded and colorful diet.

Drying, let alone decarbing, eliminates lots of monoterpenes. If you do both...

I have gotten some questions about pictures I posted on the eyecandy thread. What they show is a way of making terpine conserved activated oil for oral consumption from "live resin." Live resin is something that can be procured at many dispensaries but making it at home is not something that is acceptable to discuss here because it's a hazardous process.

Here is what I did:

3 grams of Panama, 4 grams of Sage 'n Sour, and two grams of Bangi Haze live resin with a little bit of organic extra virgin olive oil in a large silicone jar. I will use a little less olive oil next time but I wasn't far off. It needs a little carrier oil or it would cool to a hard toffee (the kind that will pull out a loose molar) consistency after decarb.

IMG_26578.JPG

The sealed jar was placed on a rack in a cuisinart electric pressure cooker above ~1/2 inch of water on the low pressure setting. The low pressure setting is 6 psi. At sea level and 6 psi water boils at 230 F. Adjusted for my high altitude it is 220 F. Ideal. When the water reached a boil the container was placed on the rack, the lid sealed, and the timer was set for 13 minuets. I figured it was sort of like hardboiling an egg without the yolk turning blue...

After 13 minuets the pressure was released and the container removed. Little bubbles indicated active decarboxilation. Gave it a stir and it frothed a little more.

IMG_265915.JPG

IMG_266018.JPG

The silicone jars are great. Silicone is heat stable to 450 F and we never even got close to that - super easy to suck the warm oil up into a syringe. Clean up is a breeze.

IMG_266221.JPG

Note the light caramel color of the oil in the syringe. It is far less oxidized than oil produced from dried plant material and more oxidized than the live resin was to begin with. In contrast I made a batch of all indica oil the same way using 3 grams each of Chitral and DarkStar live resin but added 3 grams of 90 micron Chitral kief collected from dried material by the dry ice method. The dried kief resulted in a much darker, more oxidized oil.

IMG_266315.JPG

Beginning with fresh or fresh frozen material is the starting point for conserving terpines - that and a hasty decarb.

Despite all that the terpines and phytochemicals found in cannabis are volatile and also relatively abundant from other plant food sources. The diversity of cannabanoids are what makes cannabis unique. A person concerned with their health, it can be realistically supposed, would be better off getting the full compliment of phytochemicals by eating a diet rich in fresh vegetables and fruits than agonizing over the terpine levels of their CCO.

I didn't really set out to make golden terpine rich oral oil. I wanted to make oil and I had live resin to make it out of on hand. People like to vape live resin for the flavor. It tastes great. The golden oil is also tasty.

This was also a good look at a quick oil-production technique. Looking this over I just realized I have one of those silicon jars. Now I'm excited to try this. Time to find a small pressure cooker.

Canna, watch this video to start. We've added some significant changes, but this is a good starting point. I'll catch you up with questions in an hour or so.

Here's a link to the beginning of my process. It continues over the next couple pages.

SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall
[video=youtube;0sGWxz0DMSI[/video]
I can't get the video to come up on my phone. I'll try it on the laptop.

EDIT: it works on the laptop. Yay! And thanks Sue![/video]

Back
Top Bottom