Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Ok I'm trying my first cob but I can't follow the protocol exactly. I don't have a vacuum sealer so I squished all the air out as best I coul. It's in a ziplock on the warming burner on the stove. Well insulated. It's running hot at about 40C but that's the best I can do here in the woods.

Results to follow....

Ok I'm trying my first cob but I can't follow the protocol exactly. I don't have a vacuum sealer so I squished all the air out as best I coul. It's in a ziplock on the warming burner on the stove. Well insulated. It's running hot at about 40C but that's the best I can do here in the woods.

Results to follow....

Well, this'll be an interesting adventure. :high-five: Keep an eye out for mold, and remember that vinegar is your friend should it arise. If you keep an eye out and stay dedicated to opening it regularly to surface dry mold may be kept at bay.

I hope it works Oldbear. I like options, and being dependent on appliances and equipment can be a hindrance in some circumstances.

I've done one batch of fermented buds, and they came out right nice. I sweated them for a day, opened to check, then resealed and kept them in the hot box for a couple more days before opening them to begin curing. Mine were in a jar, inside a bag that was vacuum sealed. The paper towel in the jar absorbed any moisture that may have collected, but it was dry when I opened them.

You have to wonder how important the vacuum is when you're just doing the sweat to get a quick change in the buds, but having lost part of a harvest to mold once I tend to be cautious.

Those Amber jars in the sun may do the trick. :battingeyelashes:

Well, this'll be an interesting adventure. :high-five: Keep an eye out for mold, and remember that vinegar is your friend should it arise. If you keep an eye out and stay dedicated to opening it regularly to surface dry mold may be kept at bay.

I hope it works Oldbear. I like options, and being dependent on appliances and equipment can be a hindrance in some circumstances.

I've done one batch of fermented buds, and they came out right nice. I sweated them for a day, opened to check, then resealed and kept them in the hot box for a couple more days before opening them to begin curing. Mine were in a jar, inside a bag that was vacuum sealed. The paper towel in the jar absorbed any moisture that may have collected, but it was dry when I opened them.

You have to wonder how important the vacuum is when you're just doing the sweat to get a quick change in the buds, but having lost part of a harvest to mold once I tend to be cautious.

Those Amber jars in the sun may do the trick. :battingeyelashes:

Excellent glad it worked so well. My cooked in a jar in the sun batch has definitely changed something. There's a smell that I've never seen before. A good smell kind of sweet, not yucky mold smell.

I've ordered some equipment and can't wait to try cobbing my next harvests. However, I might need to go away for a few weeks after harvest, which would ruin the cobbing process.

Has anyone tried freezing the buds at some stage, to pause the process, and then just thaw them after some time and get going again?
Chris Scorpio suggested to freeze the buds before the fermentation process, and that would be awesome if that works. I'm thinking drying the buds for 1-2 days, vacuum, and then freeze.
Do you think it'll work, or will the fermentation process later be screwed somehow? Weaselcracker mentioned the natural yeasts in the buds might die from being frozen.

Or do you have any other, better ideas?

Cheers!

I've ordered some equipment and can't wait to try cobbing my next harvests. However, I might need to go away for a few weeks after harvest, which would ruin the cobbing process.

Has anyone tried freezing the buds at some stage, to pause the process, and then just thaw them after some time and get going again?
Chris Scorpio suggested to freeze the buds before the fermentation process, and that would be awesome if that works. I'm thinking drying the buds for 1-2 days, vacuum, and then freeze.
Do you think it'll work, or will the fermentation process later be screwed somehow? Weaselcracker mentioned the natural yeasts in the buds might die from being frozen.

Cheers!

I think I would vac seal them and put them in the fridge.

Here's an update on my cob project...

I don't have the required equipment ( vac sealer and heat pad ). To follow the protocol. But I thought I would do the best I could with what I do have. Hers a summary of my half a$$ed effort

I call it that because of volume. What I put in the baggy squished down by about 70% so it's a lot smaller than most. A mini cob.

Packed as tight as I could in a ziplock with seal, rolled it up and sealed it. I wrapped it in towels and placed it on the plate warming element on the stove. It is running hot compared to 104 so I'll reduce cook time to compensate.

Ran it 6 hours yesterday, cooled overnight, and anothe 6 hours today.

Opened her up just now to check things out.

There is a definite aroma of something new so something is cooking in there.
It's a bit crumbly - not rolled tight, not wrapped in a husk, too dry, not enough sticky cannabinoids, all could be factors.
Let the moisture on the inside evaporate and re rolled it and sealed it.
I'm off to figure out the next step.

I'm curious about the outcome. By not following any of the steps in the protocol what can go wrong?

Hiya Nick,

How about vacuum seal, ferment for 24 hrs at 104, put on cable box for a couple months. Only one day needed to be around.

Cheers!
Hi my friend do not freeze any buds. If you are going to leave after a couple of weeks its no big problem.
Sweat as usual as per recipe and cure for a couple of weeks as per recipe.
Before you leave dry the cobs to touch as per recipe then vacuum seal them and leave them for as long as you want while away. Nothing will go wrong and when you return dry them again as they will no doubt be done and ready for aging.
Peace of cake. I just vacuum sealed some buds cured to a similar time frame and they will not be opened again until the New Year!
I dont expect anything other than first class tripping material when i open them.
A friend of mine tried to dry fresh buds in his fridge because it was too humid to dry them naturally where he is.
He sent me a cob and it was just brown dry buds no fermentation occurred.
Other cobs he did not fridge dry turned out a lovely golden color and were his favorite smoke.
Stay away from freezers and fridges it kills fermentation and has no benefit in this process.

Would that fine no bag Cobb cooker please step forward..........:peace:

To my recollection @nivek and @MagicJim are who we want to talk with. nivek did the cob without the vacuum and Jim had the issue with mold.

I'm curious about the outcome. By not following any of the steps in the protocol what can go wrong?

Your next step would be to find a warm place to let it ferment for the next week. :hug:

Well done Oldbear. :high-five: The smell you’re picking up is fermentation kicking off. I can’t see how you’ll not get something improved.

Hi my friend do not freeze any buds.

Thank you. :hug:

Ok... when you freeze moist buds - which is what we’re dealing with here - you break down the cellular walls in a completely different manner than when we smash them. Freezing wet buds ruptures the cells and they turn to mush. Smashing them wet simply compresses.

No freezing please, unless the intent is an infused oil. :battingeyelashes:

tangwena said:
A friend of mine tried to dry fresh buds in his fridge because it was too humid to dry them naturally where he is.
He sent me a cob and it was just brown dry buds no fermentation occurred.
Other cobs he did not fridge dry turned out a lovely golden color and were his favorite smoke.
Stay away from freezers and fridges it kills fermentation and has no benefit in this process.

I’ve cobbed buds that were in the fridge for a week and gotten good results. The trick is getting the humidity right, and that’ll be a variable dependent on the density of the buds.

A large group of us dry most of our harvests low and slo in the fridge. You get much better results drying this way. Better flavor, stronger euphoria. By refrigerating the fresh buds you retain a stronger terpene presence, and it’s the terpenes that’re directing the action of the cannabinoids.

Once we get this process down we’ll probably develop a timeline that has low and slo factored in. :battingeyelashes:

Your next step would be to find a warm place to let it ferment for the next week. :hug:

Well done Oldbear. :high-five: The smell you’re picking up is fermentation kicking off. I can’t see how you’ll not get something improved.

Thank you. :hug:

Ok... when you freeze moist buds - which is what we’re dealing with here - you break down the cellular walls in a completely different manner than when we smash them. Freezing wet buds ruptures the cells and they turn to mush. Smashing them wet simply compresses.

No freezing please, unless the intent is an infused oil. :battingeyelashes:

I’ve cobbed buds that were in the fridge for a week and gotten good results. The trick is getting the humidity right, and that’ll be a variable dependent on the density of the buds.

A large group of us dry most of our harvests low and slo in the fridge. You get much better results drying this way. Better flavor, stronger euphoria. By refrigerating the fresh buds you retain a stronger terpene presence, and it’s the terpenes that’re directing the action of the cannabinoids.

Once we get this process down we’ll probably develop a timeline that has low and slo factored in. :battingeyelashes:
Well I learn something every day I would never have guessed. But I believe you if you say it is so. I have never done it so I cant comment.
My friend actually had the cobs in the fridge to try and dry them from memory. The result was very poor so I just assumed I had better stay away from fridges in general.
He probably just stopped any fermentation that was occurring at the time. So keeping bud in the fridge prior to cobbing wouldn't effect the fermentation. I know vegetables kept in the crisper section dont seem harmed and even ripen so I will have to try it next harvest.
I'll do a side by side comparison then taste test ect.
If your right you just gave me a gem of info my lady and I do trust your observations so thank you this is such a great place to learn.

Well I learn something every day I would never have guessed. But I believe you if you say it is so. I have never done it so I cant comment.
My friend actually had the cobs in the fridge to try and dry them from memory. The result was very poor so I just assumed I had better stay away from fridges in general.
He probably just stopped any fermentation that was occurring at the time. So keeping bud in the fridge prior to cobbing wouldn't effect the fermentation. I know vegetables kept in the crisper section dont seem harmed and even ripen so I will have to try it next harvest.
I'll do a side by side comparison then taste test ect.
If your right you just gave me a gem of info my lady and I do trust your observations so thank you this is such a great place to learn.

We have a thread dedicated to the art of drying low and slo. :battingeyelashes: DrZiggy's Low and Slo Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest Many of us now use paper bags. I find it hastens the process without sacrificing quality. I personally limit my bags to 28 grams of bud per. That way I know I'll get an ounce dry for every 4 bags in the fridge.

You'll notice subtleties in your buds that were missing before, because you've preserved more terpenes That's a good reason why so many of this group hold to smoking buds along with our cobs. Our buds are tastier and more potent than much of what we come across.

Made my first cob tonight. Blue Dream from 420. Made 4 canna berries as well for fermentation. 28 grams total plant material. Been in the fridge for 6 days with a bit of time out each day. Got them in the cob-a-tron now. Don’t mind the temp reading on there. Lol. It dropped when I opened it up.

Back
Top Bottom