TassieDevil's - Indoor - DIY - Bag Seed - What The Fluxing Learning Curve - Stage 1

OK, so an hour ago I drove past the room.

The big re-pot girl with all the new growth, now has on the first set of new leaf growth (oldest) burnt tips about 1/2 long, just like all the others. That's about 12 hours between awesome and flawsome.

They only got ph'd warmed water yesterday, and re-pot wasn't one of them.

So, I'm bummed. It's been a big day, and I've only just got home 722pm...left at 650am this morning and frankly that's a disappointing end to a rough day.

On a better note, I just had a cone of some new stuff.....:yummy:

So I don't really care at the mo :)

Wiki on Magnesium deficiency

Excess potassium, generally due to fertilizers, further aggravates the stress from the magnesium deficiency,[2] as does aluminium toxicity.[3]

Magnesium has an important role in photosynthesis because it forms the central atom of chlorophyll.[1] Therefore, without sufficient amounts of magnesium, plants begin to degrade the chlorophyll in the old leaves. This causes the main symptom of magnesium deficiency, chlorosis, or yellowing between leaf veins, which stay green, giving the leaves a marbled appearance. Due to magnesium’s mobile nature, the plant will first break down chlorophyll in older leaves and transport the Mg to younger leaves which have greater photosynthetic needs. Therefore, the first sign of magnesium deficiency is the chlorosis of old leaves which progresses to the young leaves as the deficiency continues.[4] Magnesium also is a necessary activator for many critical enzymes, including ribulosbiphosphate carboxylase (RuBisCO) and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxylase (PEPC), both essential enzymes in carbon fixation. Thus low amounts of Mg lead to a decrease in photosynthetic and enzymatic activity within the plants. Magnesium is also crucial in stabilizing ribosome structures, hence, a lack of magnesium causes depolymerization of ribosomes leading to pre-mature aging of the plant.[1] After prolonged magnesium deficiency, necrosis and dropping of older leaves occurs. Plants deficient in magnesium also produce smaller, woodier fruits.

Magnesium deficiency may be confused with zinc or chlorine deficiencies, viruses, or natural aging since all have similar symptoms. Adding Epsom salts (as a solution of 25 grams per liter or 4 oz per gal) or crushed dolomitic limestone to the soil can rectify magnesium deficiencies. For a more organic solution, applying home-made compost mulch can prevent leaching during excessive rainfall and provide plants with sufficient amounts of nutrients, including magnesium.[5]

Wiki on Iron Deficiency

Iron (Fe) deficiency is a plant disorder also known as "lime-induced chlorosis". It can be confused with manganese deficiency. A deficiency in the soil is rare but iron can be unavailable for absorption if soil pH is not between about 5 and 6.5.[1] A common problem is when the soil is too alkaline (the pH is above 6.5). Also, iron deficiency can develop if the soil is too waterlogged or has been overfertilised. Elements like calcium, zinc, manganese, phosphorus, or copper can tie up iron if they are present in high amounts.[1]

Iron is needed to produce chlorophyll, hence its deficiency causes chlorosis. For example, iron is used in the active site of glutamyl-tRNA reductase, an enzyme needed for the formation of 5-Aminolevulinic acid which is a precursor of heme and chlorophyll.[2]

Symptoms
Symptoms include leaves turning yellow or brown in the margins between the veins which may remain green, while young leaves may appear to be bleached. Fruit would be of poor quality and quantity. Any plant may be affected, but raspberries and pears are particularly susceptible, as well as most acid-loving plants such as azaleas and camellias.

Treatment
Iron deficiency can be avoided by choosing appropriate soil for the growing conditions (e.g., avoid growing acid loving plants on lime soils), or by adding well-rotted manure or compost. If iron deficit chlorosis is suspected then check the pH of the soil with an appropriate test kit or instrument. Take a soil sample at surface and at depth. If the pH is over seven then consider soil remediation that will lower the pH toward the 6.5 - 7 range. Remediation includes: i) adding compost, manure, peat or similar organic matter (warning. Some retail blends of manure and compost have pH in the range 7 - 8 because of added lime. Read the MSDS if available. Beware of herbicide residues in manure. Source manure from a certified organic source.) ii) applying Ammonium Sulphate as a Nitrogen fertilizer (acidifying fertilizer due to decomposition of ammonium ion to nitrate in the soil and root zone) iii) applying elemental Sulphur to the soil (oxidizes over the course of months to produce sulphate/sulphite and lower pH). Note: adding acid directly e.g. sulphuric/hydrochloric/citric acid is dangerous as you may mobilize metal ions in the soil that are toxic and otherwise bound. Iron can be made available immediately to the plant by the use of iron sulphate or iron chelate compounds. Two common iron chelates are Fe EDTA and Fe EDDHA. Iron sulphate (Iron(II)_sulfate) and iron EDTA are only useful in soil up to PH 7.1 but they can be used as a foliar spray (Foliar_feeding). Iron EDDHA is useful up to PH 9 (highly alkaline) but must be applied to the soil and in the evening to avoid photodegradation. EDTA in the soil may mobilize Lead, EDDHA does not appear to.

Hey Green,

I liked the way it was written. Clear, concise, easily appliable to what I see in the pics, and list semi organic fixes...good for me anywho, and considering it, may be of benefit to someone else.

Now, it's real funny the whole interaction when you read those two together, and add the P & K availability, which may in fact be the opposite, if it's an Iron deficiency.

And they gave me a place to start. I've got to PH the soil in the bad ones and see where they are at, it MAY help to indicate an issue.

It does also look like another flush is in order, coupled with a re-pot with amended soil.

I'm going to try the epsom salts for the Mag deficiency first. See reaction. They're obviously strong enough at this point to suffer without dying.

This week is working though, Saturday was going to be my day, so I'm going to have to keep them going till then.

The two I watered a couple of days ago got about 2.5L of water each which is considerably more than usual.

Iron can be leached out during heavy rains...flushing?...and other element's lock iron up if they're in higher proportion, so I dunno about this one other than the PH test first, and then see...obviously I will PH before doing the epsom salts.

That I guess is me, I didn't check the cab yesterday afternoon, so hopefully all is well, I will have a look in a couple of hours on the way to work.

Another good flush may help. Sounds like you may have nute lockout after all.
I think I mentioned this, but if you had too much N, it may have caused the plants to stop the intake of other nutes.
You'll be chasing ghosts if that's happened, as in trying to correct deficiencies.
If one dies, pull it up & check the roots. It'll be a good indicator as to what's going on.

I'm sure you'll get it turned around.

Hey all, well tonight I had a play in the room. Took the :roorrip: 's over there and sat and talked with the girls, they're generally pretty good really, the new lower growth after I did a little defol looks amazing...so now at least it'll get some light.

Nutes, lockout...yep all of that....I reakon I'll do a flush in pot then repot. The sickest isn't drinking, but is still going :)

Before

DSCF43061.JPG
DSCF43081.JPG
DSCF43091.JPG

After defol

DSCF43111.JPG
DSCF43171.JPG

Good morning weed Tassie or whatever time it is. Wow the trials and tribulations of growing. Lots of good info flowing here and it sounds like you are getting a handle on it. :goodjob: Sure good to hear your back is getting better. As stated before Epsom salt baths are very good for you. When you have muscle pain your body uses a lot of magnesium to try and relax your muscles. Taking a bath in epsom salt is about the only way to up your levels of magnesium quickly. This will help relax and heal the muscles. Take care of yourself first. Happy Days :volcano-smiley:

Flush & re-pot sounds like a perfect plan. Sending you good vibes brother :allgood:

I am jumping on Mr Skunny's train of good vibes:):circle-of-love:

Me too. Here's to turning it around in 2015!

All right then the flush repot it is! Thanks guy's appreciate it!

I have a feeling for all of us 2015 is gunna be a turn around :circle-of-love:

Good morning weed Tassie or whatever time it is. Wow the trials and tribulations of growing. Lots of good info flowing here and it sounds like you are getting a handle on it. :goodjob: Sure good to hear your back is getting better. As stated before Epsom salt baths are very good for you. When you have muscle pain your body uses a lot of magnesium to try and relax your muscles. Taking a bath in epsom salt is about the only way to up your levels of magnesium quickly. This will help relax and heal the muscles. Take care of yourself first. Happy Days :volcano-smiley:

EDIT: Yep, morning Bill, 559am as I finish this post off :)

Hey Bill, now you remind me of two things. One I don't like baths, unless they're for theraputic reasons. Two, with PTSD well for me and many others I can't spontaneously relax. You sit in a comfy chair and your body generally relaxes spontaneously into the chair, I don't like having to admit it, but for me, I have to conciously relax into the chair. Focus on muscle groups relaxing and letting go, focus on breathing....I can't explain it well, it's a combination of phsycology and physiology at play...which leads to Three....something I could do for myself, now I'm single again....take the time to run an epsom salt bath to try to help my muscles relax and repair for the next day!

I didn't know about the MaG.....is there a saying that MJ growers plants suffer the same deficiency as their owners?

That means my plants were f'd from the start :rofl:

Thanks Bill, it IS one thing I can do which is cheap....I go yoga, cant afford at the mo to see the Osteopath for adjustments, but the Bath....now that I both can afford to do financially, and I guess if I put it in my routine, relaxing bath after work perhaps...how loverly!

THanks again Bill, what's obvious sometime's isn't, and I must say take's a friend to point out :)
I appreciate your friendship mate, you make a difference.

Have a good day all...it's thursday morning 603am Tassie time and it's time to go and get ready!

Hugs

How's the girls Tassie?

Hey you two....it's been a week...the change in my living arrangements have just knocked me about a bit...I let it be...it's been today 5 days since they left, so I'm not going to berate myself over feeling miserable.

I've been in and out...they're ok...temps been nice and stable...we've had a week of non-stop rain and around 12 degress every day, so...stable around 79F n 50% in the room.

No change...

Just packed the trailer with a shed load of gardening equipment....part of the move...looking for more....gardening....equipment to go into the car for the trip....it's repot day!

I'm not particularly in a bad mood, just low. I'm going to get excited in the new house, new garden, try and shift focus a bit!

I'm fixing to attempt to get the veg girls over in the room too so they're all in one spot, but it is like 50F outside at the moment, so preparation first and see how I go.

The existing lights I have are...adequate...sort of for the mo whilst I pull the t5's outta the shed for the job over the next week or so.

Waiting for the power supplies for the BM's....maybe next week at a guess! :)

Gotta go, thanks for stopping in, hope you both have good days...and hopefully something wonderful this arvo in an update! :)

Gary Coleman voice " what's you talking about Tassie?" :) :peace:

Back
Top Bottom