Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

I think the trick is to find an oil that will keep your concentrates suspended and diluted for long durations. This cheap WAX Liquidizer does that, but vaping a lot of it might have adverse health defects, so it's not a good product to invest in, but it's a good first step I suppose.

I’ve made two batches of juice now using Fogg Terpenes “Cutter”, it’s kind of expensive but vapes great and makes quality juice. I also got some from vapeurterp.com that’s cheaper (but I haven’t tried it yet).

I think anything that creates an emulsion isn’t going to be clear like the dispensary cartridges.

If I was you I’d get a rosen press, they are very simple you can go from buds to dabs in 5-10 minutes.

:passitleft:

Roger Wilco baby.

I've got a quandary of my own. There are apparently about 1000 different presses, screws, extractors, magic devices designed to pump out oil or other extracts. I wanna make vape juice, and really just dunno what way to turn.
This crazy little thing looks good.... High Quality Professional Commercial Cannabis Oil Extraction Machine - Buy Cannabis Oil Extraction Machine,Cooking Oil Filter Machine,Commercial Cookie Press Machine Product on Alibaba.com
Specifically... these words caught my eye....

Q:How long does it take to work for a time? And how many raw materials it can press in a time?
A: One time working is 30mins; One time it can process 1kg raw material.
It all makes my head spin.
Geez.
I wanna stuff a plant into a machine and get oil out the other end.
I see the desktop devices I've been looking at as 'rosin presses'. Am I wrong.... whaddayathink?

High Quality Professional Commercial Cannabis Oil Extraction Machine - Buy Cannabis Oil Extraction Machine,Cooking Oil Filter Machine,Commercial Cookie Press Machine Product on Alibaba.com
Looking at the parts it looks like it is more a extruder than a press. Yes. Extrusion does use pressure and heat. Cool idea.

It all makes my head spin.
Geez.
I wanna stuff a plant into a machine and get oil out the other end.
I see the desktop devices I've been looking at as 'rosin presses'. Am I wrong.... whaddayathink?

High Quality Professional Commercial Cannabis Oil Extraction Machine - Buy Cannabis Oil Extraction Machine,Cooking Oil Filter Machine,Commercial Cookie Press Machine Product on Alibaba.com
I’m not sure sure about those machines, they’ve been around for a lot longer than rosen presses. They use them for many types of plant oils but I don’t see much on the internet about cannabis.

My stoner sense tells me at their low price, if they worked well for cannabis there would be a lot of youtube video with them, like there are for the other presses. Cannabis specific companies don’t seem to sell similar models either which makes me wonder.

I got some shit from WAX liquidizer for diluting BHO into vape oil. It says to use 1 gram of dab material to 2ml of oil. Just put the oil in a shot glass, then the shot glass into slightly less than boiling water. I've found that this mix was too weak so I upped to to 1.5:2, then 2:2 works just as well and is way more potent. Also found out that the product I have is low quality, and have my eyes on something from 760glass that are made from actual terpenes whereas what I now have is made from unnatural oils.

GreenGene's Garden on YouTube has a video that shows how to make a cheap DIY Rosen press for smashing keif into rosen, and since extraction is stupid easy when using dry ice, one can extract an entire plant with dry ice, take all that hash and press it into Rosen, then convert as much of the Rosen into vape oil as desired. I haven't been able to convince enough of my patients into giving up the sweet leaf in favor of the oil or Rosen to warrant dumping another $500 into everything I'd need, but the knowledge is still priceless to me.
Here's a link to the diy press video. It's a very well put together video. Another plus to this video is the press could be used for other things. Just remove the plates and go. Thanks sky for sharing

I’m not sure sure about those machines, they’ve been around for a lot longer than rosen presses. They use them for many types of plant oils but I don’t see much on the internet about cannabis.

My stoner sense tells me at their low price, if they worked well for cannabis there would be a lot of youtube video with them, like there are for the other presses. Cannabis specific companies don’t seem to sell similar models either which makes me wonder.

More words of wisdom from DrD.
Yeah... that's kinda what's holdin me back. On the other hand, the price point is low enough to tempt me.... and it seems like it would work.

If you are shooting for quality, rosin is the way to go. It is solventless, so you are left with a pure product. Presses can cost as much as a vehicle, but you can put your own together for less than a grand. You can buy small personal use units for a couple hundred bucks. The problem I have is that if I were to take my flower and make rosin from flower, calculating a 20% yield, it doesn't increase the value of the flower, so it's not something that makes financial sense for me. If I were to further process it into vape cartridges I have a feeling that would have potential to make money, but it's more work than I am interested in.

As for the machine you are looking at, I have to think Dr Doob is right. If it were worth the price, I have to believe there would be some information circling the 420 community about it. But if the price is worth a roll of the dice, go for it. Have you asked the seller if they could provide you with an instruction manual perhaps?

I did some reading on the cold press idea, and it's basically a juicer, I think. Nothing from the cannabis community about it except for juicing or making CBD "oil".

There are a whole bunch of similar designs for sale, all using the same screw press idea.

So far, no mention of using dried herb in it. Everyone refers to leaves and juicing. And if you add heat, you get a sticky mess, don't you? :hmmmm:

Meanwhile, CO2 extraction looks like the way to go if they can get the price down. :love:

:bongrip:

calculating a 20% yield, it doesn't increase the value of the flower, so it's not something that makes financial sense for me.

When I did dry ice extractions a few years ago, it cost me like $10 for about a 1/4 of a cubic foot, and I only needed half of that to process about a QP of trimmings and whispy unsalable buds. Toss it all in a bubble bag and begin shaking it over a clean smoother surface. I think we discussed on Weasy's journal the use of CO2 fire extinguishers to make dry ice, and I remember seeing the large trammel drum extractor that works with CO2 gas to achieve the same result, but for processing larger quantities. Once the trics are separated from the green materials, then it can be further processed in a DIY rosin press, then the rosin can be diluted in oil to make it viscous for vaping. It's definitely a somewhat involved process, but IMO, nowhere near as involved or complex as making BHO which I've always been scared to attempt and I am a very hands on kind of guy, but i just felt that process to be a tad too risky for me.

I'm more or less on the same page as BrixNewb, except to ad that even though reprocessing bud doesn't increase value, it does afford us the ability to reclaim otherwise lost materials, so if a grower were to harvest a shit load of popcorn buds, or over dry their harvest.

I'd like to throw in my two sense.

Rosin is the easiest and quickest extraction method I have tried. Once you figure out the right temp and time for your bud/hash you can process how much you need and store the rest. Plates would be a cheap way to build a press, but if you want to pick up one from alibaba look for something similar to Rosin Tech's products. They have good stuff.

BHO sucks for extracting unless you have 20lbs to mess with. Plus I've been hearing more extract artist mixing propane into their solvents for a "Full Spectrum Extract" Depending on how much is mixed in you will get a sulfur taste stuck in your extracts.

THC Distillates seem to be getting the most consistent test results 90%+ It though is the most labor intensive. You have to pre extract your material, usually companies go BHO-->Winterizing-->Distilling. I think Leafly has youtube videos about different extraction methods.

Few companies here in LA that makes vapes use the natural plant terpenes. Most to me are overdoing it with all the terps, like they are hiding something. Anyway I hope you find what you need. There may be a cartridge that could just vape pure rosin if its strong enough, I vape THC-raw.

Wow.... great words to accompany and compliment my own digging.

Have you asked the seller if they could provide you with an instruction manual perhaps?

Not yet. I was looking for reviews and whatnot. Good idea.

I did some reading on the cold press idea, and it's basically a juicer, I think. Nothing from the cannabis community about it except for juicing or making CBD "oil".

Hmmm... this leads to some natural questions.
First, couldn't one just dry the juice out over a warm plate?
Secondly, the unit include heat. Seems odd for just a juicer.
I dunno man... I think I'm gonna have to buy on to answer the questions. Dammit.

Meanwhile, CO2 extraction looks like the way to go if they can get the price down.

Way to spendy. I have this tickle going on in the back of my head about some desktop Co2 extractor that used SodaStream bottles for source Co2.... but I've sure not seen it.

I'm more or less on the same page as BrixNewb, except to ad that even though reprocessing bud doesn't increase value, it does afford us the ability to reclaim otherwise lost materials, so if a grower were to harvest a shit load of popcorn buds, or over dry their harvest.

And the piles of trim/popcorn are surely hitting those shit-load levels baby!

Few companies here in LA that makes vapes use the natural plant terpenes. Most to me are overdoing it with all the terps, like they are hiding something. Anyway I hope you find what you need. There may be a cartridge that could just vape pure rosin if its strong enough, I vape THC-raw.

Yea... I wanna avoid adding terps.

Saved this quote for last... it's a really important issue.
The problem I have is that if I were to take my flower and make rosin from flower, calculating a 20% yield, it doesn't increase the value of the flower, so it's not something that makes financial sense for me. If I were to further process it into vape cartridges I have a feeling that would have potential to make money, but it's more work than I am interested in.

I hear ya. In a land of local smokers and established customers... this is totally what I would imagine.
But...
I live in tourist land. I watch them. They're cheap entertainment.
I notice they're all smokin vape pens as they stroll the streets of The Big Easy. I smell the different-y smell of the pens vs. herb. I notice the change over the years as well. It's become fairly rare for me to run into the sweet smell of burning herb.
It's my belief that a large amount of my targets would prefer the pens. Easy, quick, disposable... a vacation triple whammy.
I'd like to call this strategic thinking. We'll see how my strategy plays out over time... but the season is afoot after all. Tic toc!

Back
Top Bottom