Tead's Indoor-ish, Winter, Hempy, OGK, SOG

How's situation in NO, Tead? It seems you're in for a wild ride there.

It's ugly in The Big Easy. We watched and worried in the post Katrina years as large businesses and industries as a whole chose to move shop to other areas of the nation that have more stability. Lacking the oil industry, our city is now left with the tourism industry and a minor contribution from the shipping industry. Now comes the time when we really pay the price for this configuration. Obviously tourism is hosed and I would imagine that fewer items as a whole are passing thru our ports. Financially, it will be catastrophic. The city is very expensive to maintain with enormous outlay just to keep us above water day to day. The regular flow of tourist dollars are exactly what makes all that possible.
I don't know how this will play out when we're done with the dance, but we may have to replace "Katrina" with "Covid" at the top of our dirty words list.
Personally, I've lost my day job for a while, but I've got other work that's been taking way too long so I hope that I can add some speed to those projects.
Plants 'r happy. No photos today, but I cranked up my Co2 from 900 to 1400 a few weeks ago and almost immediately saw increased bud density. I've been riding that happy wave for a while now. I'd have to say, Co2 enrichment seems to be one of the better things in my garden. I think the heat I live in works out well with the added Co2, and that reflects my reading about it. Hot garden + Co2 = fat ass buds.

Just a little blink between moving plants really. I liked the group shot because I had just done some choppin and the garden looked uncluttered. There were 8 in the shot with one hiding hard in the back left. Shortly after that shot I slid 2 more in there bringing the count up to 10. I feel 12 is about my sweet spot as far as space and light penetration go. I'll have 2 more ready in the next few days... maybe a week, so things really are just flowing along normally.

I have the slightest white fly issue going. Been using a auto-spritzer to dispense a bit of pyretherin (sp?) spray, so I only see 1 or 2 on occasion, but can't seem to shake them for good. Not really a big problem at all, but just can seem to rid myself of the lingering herd. The seem pretty harmless all around, but when their numbers boom their dead bodies litter the sticky buds causing a need for bud washing. I had to wash a couple of plants hard, and in my humidity such things can be problematic. Now I spritz. Plus, I only have 1 spritzer and have been chasing a few from the bloom room into the veg room and visa-versa. I'm hitting the bug shop soon, so I'll pick up another and see if they finally all die.

You're set up perfectly for a sulfur burner, Tead. Sealed room, run the humidity up to 100% (easy in your climate), run the burner for an hour or so ...

Bingo, spick and span - all bugs dead dead dead, and the plants love the sulfur.

You'll never get rid of the whiteflies otherwise - they'll adapt to anything you throw at 'em. I tried for a couple years.

You're set up perfectly for a sulfur burner, Tead. Sealed room, run the humidity up to 100% (easy in your climate), run the burner for an hour or so ...

Bingo, spick and span - all bugs dead dead dead, and the plants love the sulfur.

You'll never get rid of the whiteflies - they'll adapt to anything you throw at 'em. I tried for a couple years.

Damn! Never thought of that!!! You're spot on!
I've never really even considered the sulfur options. Of course, and thanks!
The pyretherin keeps them well at bay with only a few living ones seen. Mighty easy to setup the spritzer in front of a fan. A little spendy for the refills, but they last months... many months.

Mainly, I was just surprised to see the floor. I don't think I've seen that in a shot since you first built your current set up. It always looks like a forest canopy.

There might be some strategic photography going on.... I usually try to avoid floor shots. It's never pretty. I mop on the 1st and 15th, but leaf litter and nutrient water slop/overfill doesn't help. Don't be lookin down there.

Keep your hatchets sharp and your powder dry ya'll. Life's crazy!

Blue Dream. The genetics came from @MrGreene . We had a race many moons ago. This was the common genetics we raced with. I've been cloning it and dialing it in some over the years.
This one produced 19+ oz of trimmed, cured bud. It's my best so far. Thanks @MrGreene !!!

Blue Dream. The genetics came from @MrGreene . We had a race many moons ago. This was the common genetics we raced with. I've been cloning it and dialing it in some over the years.
This one produced 19+ oz of trimmed, cured bud. It's my best so far. Thanks @MrGreene !!!
Those are some numbers to be jealous of! Long gone are the shed days I see.

Long gone are the shed days I see.
Indeed!
Of course, now I just wanna crank the shed back up and do an even comparison. No chance that would ever happen. Perhaps someday I'll find a need to do some shed growin again.

General photo dump

The bloom room. 13 in there.

Veg. 13 as well.

Clones

Loving your new spaces, my friend! Busy, busy. Lol. I saw your tub of clones... I tried that and they all rotted where they were buried. Does it have drainage? How moist and what temps? Id really like to do a big tub as i have some unused clones in 1L that have gotten a bit long in the tooth waiting for space( that ever needed space...)

I must issue one word of warning before I speak of cloning. For reasons related to heat and humidity, my cloning techniques don't seem to play out well in other people's worlds.
Having said that, cloning is super-easy for me. I rarely see one fail. The square tubs are about 6"tall. There's an drain hole about 2" up from the bottom. I fill them with about 4" of perlite. The water sits in the bottom and keeps the rest wet. I try to place my clones so the bottom of the cutting is just at the water line. I don't cover them or mist them. Hell, I'd just cut the tops off but it makes a handy place for a label.
Of course, the important part of the equation is the weather in the veg room. My humidity in the growing area stays above 60% at all times and normally floats in the 80%'s. Some informal testing on my part seems to show that the humidity break-point for clones is about 60%. Above 60, no need for a cover. Temps are usually in the 80f range. I don't feed at all when cloning.

Dat's it. Simple. Cut 'em and just plunk them into wet perlite. If it wasn't simple, I'd screw it up.

How’s life these days, Tead?

How’s life these days, Tead?

I've been laughing a touch lately. The powers-that-be seem to be spending many words about the transition from stay-at-home to whatever it is that comes next. For us, it's all completely meaningless. We're a completely tourist driven city. Without tourism, there is no need for the vast majority of the city to operate. While there may not be a stay at home order in place, it's mostly meaningless as we all have no where to go... including our jobs. The impact of this damn dance on our city has, and will continue to be devastating for a very long time. Tourism numbers may one day return to normal, but that day will probably be well into next year. Most cities sport a diverse economy. Our city is very unlike 'most' in almost every way imaginable. I don't know how it will play out and I'm afraid it may actually form another chapter in this city's downfall.

In the meantime, all the good restaurants and clubs are closed, so no music or good food. I've resorted to playing some old school zydeco and cajun music for my neighbors on occasion just to keep some of the spirit alive. I never would have imagined that I would witness closed strip-joints on Bourbon Street... but that place is a total ghost town.

The locals have been bored and creating art. This is right around the corner from my house.
View media item 1771543
Probably not a Banksy, but he was here after Katrina and did a bunch of fun art. All the shops in the Frenchman area have boarded up their windows and the locals have danced up those boards a good bit.

Here Louis Armstrong down on Frenchman.
5e9f05c3d4d9d.image.jpg

Oh... and I meant to mention... that big tall plant in the middle of my bloom area..... a damn UD that I let get too tall. I swear, I keep forgetting they can stretch so much. Most of my other strains are not big stretchers.

It’s tough man, I know. I think you might say we’ve gone from relatively optimistic to apocalyptic in 8 weeks of quarantine.

Tourism died too in Italy and it’s almost 20% of country’s gdp. And the ideas for reopening are so weird and absurd it starts looking like a hospital country. I don’t know if I blow my nose in the supermarket someone’s not gonna call police.

The toll of death and fear has been hard. We’re open in theory, but in practise people are hiding at home, especially old people and there are a lot of them.

Back
Top Bottom