The 420 Fotographer Collective: Advanced Cannabis Photography

I used a Tungsten filter to help balance the yellow from the Incandescent Lighting. Incandescents are your typical 'idea' light bulb (the white balance icon), flood lights and many times the can lights in the ceilings

. . . adjusting the Kelvin Temperature on the camera. . .

A question? Hmmmm?

Using the Tungsten present is my technique. But With my camera I use a pre set tungsten white balance in camera setting, Which is 3000K. My COBs are 3500 K at full power.

? Can you target a Kelvin value specifically in camera ? I specifically looked through the camera manual over a year ago now I couldn't find a way to play with it other than pre-sets.
Could be a limitation of my Rebel t4i menu.

I know my point and shoot only has the 3000K presets. And I use it 99% in the tent. And it works great.

Just wondering if I could tweak that in the dslr. . . I hope that makes sense.

I am away from home now but you guys have me thinking. I really have not done any thought about it beyond the journal.

I have a camera manual manual on my phone. I remember now. I was too lazy to set up a custom white balance. And I just used the tungsten preset.

Okay so so now all this thinking has me finding something new. :thanks:

In the manual I find. . . .
White balance bracketing
. I cannot wait to try this under the COBs.
Now I am going to have to break out the ol tripod. I bet I cannot find the attachment.

Super cool:surf:

Just missed the best shot ever of a cat swallowing a mouse. I forgot to put ehem......

the memory card in the camera

Silly? Perhaps. But it's easy to see that you are a real artist Nivek. I like those little lego figures

beautiful photography being displayed friends,, super workin it,,

another silly from me,, with a little story as well

P1140941.JPG

me missus and i were sitting out in my studio, doing,, guess what?? haha, when she is out there we are usually imbibing of the herb,, vaping with the volcano,,:volcano-smiley:

my studio is a studio because i paint out there, and i had a couple of small canvases laying around,,

there might have been a couple of beer involved as well

anyhoo we got the idea to paint a picture right then and there,, that would be the background y'all see in the pic above

but we painted the pic with marijuana leaves, just grabbed em in our hands and rubbed them on the canvas

and that was the result,, it was a fun night, and just an fyi,, the colour on the canvas faded quite quickly, in a few weeks, to near not able to see it anymore

I with the two of you about shooting and cropping. The shooting style of things is always dependent on situation. Portraits, weddings, and group portraits were always where people were asking, "How long does this take?" My answer was always, "I shoot until I know I've got one really good picture." Shooting houses, landscapes, products were always more fun for me. A chance to take a moment with composition and really fine tune exactly what I want. Food photography being the exception though. You gotta shoot that stuff pretty quick, especially beer and ice cream!

I never delete during a shoot though, always wait until you're in front of a computer. I made that mistake at a wedding. I was standing in the balcony where they kept the pipe organ, the floor was a polished marble or granite. The bride, groom, and priest were about 75 yards a way at the front of the church. Dramatic over head lighting and a beautiful reflection on the floor. I only shot picture and knew I'd gotten it! I think y'all know the rest of that story and why I can't show you the picture.
The one that got away...

I do keep all my stuff though, even stuff that doesn't make it to the finals folder. Maybe a habit of a time when our medium was different and hanging out in a dark room with developer and an exhaust fan was the only thing I wanted to do.

As to the cropping. I was taught and always tried to pass on you don't crop with the camera, you crop in post. Always shoot more that you need so you have plenty of adjustment for cropping.

I certainly could free up some space if I got rid of some images though. I shoot everything RAW, and hate working with JPEGS.

Just throwing this out there, "Does everybody understand how the JPEG Format works and the biggest draw back from working in JPEG format?"

I found this for the Rebel T4i. The last paragraph refers to custom white balance.

How do I set the White Balance? (EOS REBEL T4i / EOS 650D)

Oh indeed. That is how I currently do it. I use the tungsten preset in the tent. ((I tend to use the daylight setting and aperture priority outside the tent)) I have just been lazy about setting up a custom WB preset since tungsten is close. But you guys got me going and thinking.

I have only just read about WB bracketing today. When I get home I want to try a shot on my usual setting of tungsten light WB. Then see if I can bracket around it for better colors. I have used exposure bracketing but never WB bracketing.
Fun stuff, helps keep me out of trouble.

Oh indeed. That is how I currently do it. I use the tungsten preset in the tent. ((I tend to use the daylight setting and aperture priority outside the tent)) I have just been lazy about setting up a custom WB preset since tungsten is close. But you guys got me going and thinking.

I have only just read about WB bracketing today. When I get home I want to try a shot on my usual setting of tungsten light WB. Then see if I can bracket around it for better colors. I have used exposure bracketing but never WB bracketing.
Fun stuff, helps keep me out of trouble.

I have a Canon as well. Mines a bit older and in a different series of cameras than the Rebels. On my camera when I'm in the holding the WB button and I set it to "K" of "Kelvin" I can then adjust the color temperature, maybe you can do the same on yours. I'm thinking although my camera is older than yours maybe it has a similar feature because they are the same brand.

White Balance Bracketing, sounds interesting. 1 stop increments will give you a full stop in either direction of ideal exposure but you can do 1/2 stops or 1/3 if you want to get really picky. Specifically regarding out tent shots, I've given up on the over exposure unless I'm shooting growth under the tops and/ or canopy. That seems to be where most of the problems originate with these specific conditions. I find it much easier to shoot all those trichs and such outside in real sunlight. I guess the sun is better for plants as well as photographing them!

jpeg/jpg - Extremely short version - it takes away information from the image to reduce the filesize. Compresses it. It can be compressed heavy or not so heavy. But no matter how high quality jpeg, you will lose some information from the photo. Perhaps not instantly visible to the human eye, but then you want to edit your photo and the details you want to enhance - well - they're simply not there anymore.

Some technical details lost in translation to human language :)

I with the two of you about shooting and cropping. The shooting style of things is always dependent on situation. Portraits, weddings, and group portraits were always where people were asking, "How long does this take?" My answer was always, "I shoot until I know I've got one really good picture." Shooting houses, landscapes, products were always more fun for me. A chance to take a moment with composition and really fine tune exactly what I want. Food photography being the exception though. You gotta shoot that stuff pretty quick, especially beer and ice cream!

I never delete during a shoot though, always wait until you're in front of a computer. I made that mistake at a wedding. I was standing in the balcony where they kept the pipe organ, the floor was a polished marble or granite. The bride, groom, and priest were about 75 yards a way at the front of the church. Dramatic over head lighting and a beautiful reflection on the floor. I only shot picture and knew I'd gotten it! I think y'all know the rest of that story and why I can't show you the picture.
The one that got away...

I do keep all my stuff though, even stuff that doesn't make it to the finals folder. Maybe a habit of a time when our medium was different and hanging out in a dark room with developer and an exhaust fan was the only thing I wanted to do.

As to the cropping. I was taught and always tried to pass on you don't crop with the camera, you crop in post. Always shoot more that you need so you have plenty of adjustment for cropping.

I certainly could free up some space if I got rid of some images though. I shoot everything RAW, and hate working with JPEGS.

Just throwing this out there, "Does everybody understand how the JPEG Format works and the biggest draw back from working in JPEG format?"

I have a question - A good but cheap macro lense for my Canon bodies to shoot trichome shots with. I want to get closer

jpeg/jpg - Extremely short version - it takes away information from the image to reduce the filesize. Compresses it. It can be compressed heavy or not so heavy. But no matter how high quality jpeg, you will lose some information from the photo. Perhaps not instantly visible to the human eye, but then you want to edit your photo and the details you want to enhance - well - they're simply not there anymore.

Some technical details lost in translation to human language :)

Your are correct about the compression, but what many people don't realize is every time you open and save a JPEG you are losing image quality. The basics of how it works is every time and image is saved that image is compressed. The computer kind of mirrors the pixels in any given tonal area, this is why you lose the ability to fine tune lights and darks with a smooth gradation. What were once graduated color tones are now mirrored copies of the pixel(s) that one was next to.

That is why it is best to go from RAW to TIFF or PSD as well as to JPEG. That way if you got to edit the image you have the RAW image as well as a PSD and/ or Tiff. Also, if you like to work in Layers, of any sort, JPEG does not allow you to save Layers. TIFF can be opened in Adobe RAW Editor but PSD cannot. If you want to work in Layers and still have RAW editing abilities then use TIFF. I believe the background layer is still manipulated is the editor but your layers would remain the same. I've not done much experimentation in this area but though you'd all like to know about the drawbacks of the JPEG Image.

In my opinion JPEG is that final destination of an image. Once the image is edited and then converted to JPEG it should never be edited again from the JPEG Format.

I have a question - A good but cheap macro lense for my Canon bodies to shoot trichome shots with. I want to get closer

That really depends on your definition of the word 'cheap.' I got mine refurbished & direct from Canon USA. I highly recommend using the lenses that are made my the parent manufacturer of your camera. Canon for Canon, Nikon for Nikon, etc. Those are the two big boys for DSLR's but I know Canon wins in the user friendly and technology department. Or at least they did when I was selling for Ritz Camera, yeah I've been around a while... Anyways, decide what your budget is and then go from there. Not sure what part of the planet you're on, but I'm just outside Los Angeles and Samy's Camera is like a toy store for somebody like me. The 3rd and 4th floor are where I like to go, Pro Cameras and Lighting! Last time I looked they had 4 or 5 different locations in So Cal. Of course they have a website, but I'm not sure where you need your gear shipped to.

There is always the knock off brands you can look at too.

Also, consider a doubler or a zoom lens and be sure to use a tripod with any of these 3 options.

Took these with the shoulder rig. Originally filmed, but snapped a few while filming

birds_004.jpg

birds_003.jpg

birds_002.jpg

Cheap as in - I am no longer a touring musician who can afford to buy all the gear I desire. On the contrary, I have gone from that to living on disability :) So cheap means cheap

That halo around the birds - In Adobe there is this raw processing thingy. There is a slider where you can increase sharpness of the image. If you pull that the wrong direction and use it to reduce sharpness, you get that halo effect. I like to use it on some images for a gloomy effect. artsy Depression

I remember seeing someone take a nifty fifty (50mm f1.8), reversing the lens, and making a macro out of it somehow. I know there are options, like using extension tubes and such, but so don't know of any real cheap options.

Excellent discussion guys. Been slaving at work all day and this was an awesome read.

That halo around the birds - In Adobe there is this raw processing thingy. There is a slider where you can increase sharpness of the image. If you pull that the wrong direction and use it to reduce sharpness, you get that halo effect. I like to use it on some images for a gloomy effect. artsy Depression

That works then cause thats what I was getting from it!

They're a gang of crows hanging out on our property. They are quite wicked :) I like them. I go around and make kraaaa kraaa sounds at them

DeVille. I like all three of those pictures.
I dunno. Maybe cause I like birds....(( People say I am no good and crazy as a loon))
they look wicked.

I remember seeing someone take a nifty fifty (50mm f1.8), reversing the lens, and making a macro out of it somehow.

I had forgotten they nicknamed it the nifty fifty. I had a chuckle when I read that and had to dig it out.
MG_66871.jpg

Back
Top Bottom