The 420 Fotographer Collective: Advanced Cannabis Photography

Im at the eye doctor, just got my pupils dilated. Last post, i can hardly make out my on phone keyboard. Sober and watching my vision fade... Another pic of Mav. This shot is for dual focal points, iPhone pic, Snapseed processing.

551e570854f8ad44a65857b90969ea87.jpg

Very nice Age. :bravo:

Im at the eye doctor, just got my pupils dilated. Last post, i can hardly make out my on phone keyboard. Sober and watching my vision fade... Another pic of Mav. This shot is for dual focal points, iPhone pic, Snapseed processing.

551e570854f8ad44a65857b90969ea87.jpg

i wanted to share this pic looking back at monument valley i just had to have this pic love it!
316101.jpg
this was taken on the auto scenery setting 2 years ago!

Great stuff. I dont think I ever heard of dual focal points. Interesting, I think I can see what you mean though, the crisp shadow of Mav on the grass. Such a photogenic animal. Looks like he was a great dog.

That looks like a post card scene sticky, love the natural rock formations, and the road draws you in. Interesting horizontal bands of colour too, right from the foreground up to the sky.

I like that I am actually standing where you were when you both took those photos. Almost a shared moment in time and space. From the comfort of my own pad lol. Even cooler is that once its out there it takes on new meaning for every person.

Quit it Agemon. I can tell your as passionate about Mav as I was about Jackson. GSD's...........best breed every. Or at least says you and I. lol.

Canon 1D Mk II N
1/1600sec ISO100 @ F4
70-200mm F2.8 IS "L" @ 120mm

55982.jpg

:thumb:
grow_room30.JPG
Sugar_Plum.JPG
Crtical_Dark_Devil.JPG
Critical_Dark_devil.JPG
:cheer::bongrip::party: Come on, let me show you were it,s at. Come on, let me show you where it's at. and the name of the place is I like it like that:Namaste:

9fc04ab1c605b3ecce81c27f3f7526cc.jpg
0adaeec4404fb90663388314fdf72b2c.jpg

Anyone have suggestions on how to improve the contrast more on my pics? I'm just using my Samsung s8, but maybe less back lighting? Or Urb can you link that site that helps you to get great pics on a camera phone?

I think those look pretty good as is TMD.

What you have is the perfect canvas to carve out your portrait of that plant. 95% is already there. Three tools you have in the phone will be; cropping, light manipulation, and colour manipulation. The less you have to use those the better.

Here is a quick edit I did. Crop, darken slightly, boost the colour just a touch. Exaggerated slightly just for effect.

d29f158c4cf4e4d1b77e96789c465115.jpg

Beautiful colas man. Those gotta smell amazing.

this syline pic of monument valley needs to go with the other one i posted,my wife and i stayed the night in a little town called chinle,arizona because we were there to see canyon de chelly,its on the novaho reservation,we had to get up at 3 am to drive to the valley so i could get this shot at first light,auto scenery setting free hand i took at least 50 imo this was the best one!:cheesygrinsmiley:
27016.jpg

Quit it Agemon. I can tell your as passionate about Mav as I was about Jackson. GSD's...........best breed every. Or at least says you and I. lol.

Canon 1D Mk II N
1/1600sec ISO100 @ F4
70-200mm F2.8 IS "L" @ 120mm

55982.jpg

Great Shot!!!
ba6a8f871d3e5194ff75720a87cb3885.jpg

Now i gotta do an action pic...

9fc04ab1c605b3ecce81c27f3f7526cc.jpg
0adaeec4404fb90663388314fdf72b2c.jpg

Anyone have suggestions on how to improve the contrast more on my pics? I'm just using my Samsung s8, but maybe less back lighting? Or Urb can you link that site that helps you to get great pics on a camera phone?

I agree nothing wrong with those pics. Look into Snap Seed for phone image processor. Its like $5

b43d011427092dbdd985e8998998fee2.jpg

beautiful photography being displayed friends,, super workin it,,

another silly from me,, with a little story as well

P1140941.JPG

me missus and i were sitting out in my studio, doing,, guess what?? haha, when she is out there we are usually imbibing of the herb,, vaping with the volcano,,:volcano-smiley:

my studio is a studio because i paint out there, and i had a couple of small canvases laying around,,

there might have been a couple of beer involved as well

anyhoo we got the idea to paint a picture right then and there,, that would be the background y'all see in the pic above

but we painted the pic with marijuana leaves, just grabbed em in our hands and rubbed them on the canvas

and that was the result,, it was a fun night, and just an fyi,, the colour on the canvas faded quite quickly, in a few weeks, to near not able to see it anymore

beautiful photography being displayed friends,, super workin it,,

another silly from me,, with a little story as well

P1140941.JPG

me missus and i were sitting out in my studio, doing,, guess what?? haha, when she is out there we are usually imbibing of the herb,, vaping with the volcano,,:volcano-smiley:

my studio is a studio because i paint out there, and i had a couple of small canvases laying around,,

there might have been a couple of beer involved as well

anyhoo we got the idea to paint a picture right then and there,, that would be the background y'all see in the pic above

but we painted the pic with marijuana leaves, just grabbed em in our hands and rubbed them on the canvas

and that was the result,, it was a fun night, and just an fyi,, the colour on the canvas faded quite quickly, in a few weeks, to near not able to see it anymore

Very cool. Love that about cannabis and photography. Each one makes the other better. I get so creative after puffing on a J, then get a focus, don't realize what I am doing until an hour or so into it. So much fun.

I have an idea for an outdoor winter bud photo but haven't thought of what yet.

:love: This is Tsokay, :rip: She was the best. She was with us just shy 20 years.
Tsokay-.jpg
She was very well trained and very smart.We could let her out to go and she would open the door (lever handle) and close it when she came in. Great Frisbee dog, she would fetch longer than you could throw. One thing I was never able to teach her was Bones Away, she wouldn't go for that. It was always Tsokay with Me :Namaste:

Here's another non weed related pic. This is a house I shot for a family friend, actually a friend of my Mother in Law.

ISO 100 ~ f3.2 ~ 2.5 secondes ~ 16-35mm @16mm.

I used a Tungsten filter to help balance the yellow from the Incandescent Lighting. Incandescents are your typical 'idea' light bulb (the white balance icon), flood lights and many times the can lights in the ceilings. Kitchens always suck cause they have can lights and then fluorescent lights under the floating cabinets, mixed color temperature is no fun. It's what many of us run into with shooting our favorite plants.

And I think it was Sweet Sue who mentioned adjusting the Kelvin Temperature on the camera. I didn't know mine did that, I don't know everything... Any how my COB's are 3500 and I just turn off the Blurple during a shoot.

Thanks Sweet Sue!

Here's that pic.

VE8B0370_1_.jpg

Here's another non weed related pic. This is a house I shot for a family friend, actually a friend of my Mother in Law.

ISO 100 ~ f3.2 ~ 2.5 secondes ~ 16-35mm @16mm.

I used a Tungsten filter to help balance the yellow from the Incandescent Lighting. Incandescents are your typical 'idea' light bulb (the white balance icon), flood lights and many times the can lights in the ceilings. Kitchens always suck cause they have can lights and then fluorescent lights under the floating cabinets, mixed color temperature is no fun. It's what many of us run into with shooting our favorite plants.

And I think it was Sweet Sue who mentioned adjusting the Kelvin Temperature on the camera. I didn't know mine did that, I don't know everything... Any how my COB's are 3500 and I just turn off the Blurple during a shoot.

Thanks Sweet Sue!

Here's that pic.

VE8B0370_1_.jpg
Outstanding Age, love that contrast, you make it look easy lol.

Pretty impressive sharing of some fantastic art and effort. Don't stop.

I want to gently pull this back to improving cannabis photography. Essentially focusing in on an important part of the process. Please add your thoughts on this.

Deleting and Cropping.

First off I want to make a clear distinction between a snapshot to show how you DIY'd that water pump and a beautiful photo of a property you need to hand a client for the sale of a house. The amount of effort you put into taking, deleting, editing, or cropping is relative to the situation.

Deleting. You have heard or seen this mentioned a number of times. When you take a lot of photos it's time consuming to edit them. You only want your best. Again that's relative. Keep what you need.

I operated under the spray and pray method. I snapped everything. Hope I got something. At first I would get 1/1,500 decent shots. By decent I mean good enough to put on my wall not to sell. Then it was 1/ 500. I am sitting around 1/100 now I think. Every once in a while I get lucky. I listened to the tips. Deleted 95% of what I shot. Get picky. I am a bit more efficient now.

Setting up a good shot is ideal. Keeping just the best shots will make cropping easier. I mostly use the cropping tool to either cut portion of the image that are distracting from my subject or to alter the composition.

Often times in an image you will have things that seem out of place or don't feel right. An extension cord off to the far side, a lighter out of focus, or a burnt leaf tip. Does it draw my eye from my plant? Get it out.

8dccdd69f3830bc82974ccd07edc17bd.jpg

So I say to myself, what do I want to look at, and what do I not want to see. Done.
3d446edd5260f16b6d7b8e19f49da7c4.jpg

Maybe I don't like the empty space. It's too far. Not drawing you in telling you what your looking at.

d3ccaf4fa5733e6f9d414a626995a09b.jpg

I was TRYING to get the iPhone to do the blurry portrait thing on the rolling paper pack. Didn't work. Which is why it's so far off. I need to save this car accident.
b712d9f1fc4107fe4b4c2e7047694a0f.jpg

Get into the habit of trying a few different crops. You can reset the photos back to their original form if you don't like them.

Lastly I think it's worth mentioning something about pixels. Digital zoom. Etc. Please jump in you tech wizards if I walk astray.

When you zoom in with your point and shoot, you aren't really zooming in, that 24 megapixel camera is taking the same image. Essentially. The quality of the image is the same if you; take the photo and crop it tight to the subject, or if you zoomed in via the camera and took a shot. Same action.

So. When you take a photo with your camera, and crop it, you are essentially using a digital zoom. The more you crop the more the image will appear pixelated or grainy.

Also should mention, just for differentiation, that the DSLR zoom lenses are true zoom lenses and get closer to the subject plus take that detailed image. So you can digitally zoom in even closer and check those trichomes.

a918f97795a263adf549331be2b81d45.jpg

The quality of this is the same as if you finger zoomed the above photo.
f26aa73619a3913fd8d92cee8e2e7fd1.jpg

So that's a huge part of the workload right there. Delete the fluff and carve out the gems. Less is more.

These photos were duds that didn't make it anywhere and looked like a bit of cropping would at least make them useful.

Anyone else care to add to this deleting / cropping discussion?

I can pretty much echo your comments UA. I was a spray and pray guy too. For me it was necessary because I shot sooo much moving stuff. I think my 1D MII N shot 13 frames a second and could handle 35 shots till the buffer filled. I filtered and deleted the same way as you before I started processing and I also crop over 90% of my shots. I think theres lots of us who use a pretty similar method that way.
Heres a bit of a different crop I did that turned out OK. Least I think it did. lol.
6076large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom