"The Beast" gets serious!

Re: "The Beast" FryingPanFlyer gets serious!

Hi Fry Glad you can see your grandkids. Joanne has the whole family mad at her so they don't visit any more. Damn woman!:smokin:
I don't travel any more, too much stuff I have to take with me and I have accidents at very bad moments.
Have a Great Grand Daughter that I have never seen at all. Sucks! But I do get pictures that tide me over. :cheer:

silly FPF. just put your hydro water in the soile test. lol, j/k about the silly thing. it's the wine talking. Nice colorado Blush 2008 with nice colorado White Rhino.....lol

I am curious though, how do you have the dual reservoir set up, and why the second? I'm very currious about this. It seems like it's almost more trouble than it's worth to just have one res with lower nutes. I would think that even though your in there more often filling and mixing it would be a better bet for continuous levels anywho? NO?

Just currious. I mean no harm, and I'm in no way dissing your setup. It's awsome, but just wondering what is behind the dual res.

later bro!

The upper res is just so I don't have to add water every day, in the last day they drank close to 10 gallons! I'm trying to dial this thing in and the upper res was an idea, it may not have been the best of ideas so I'll have to see how this all plays out.

So, for today's report.

Wow, what a difference a few days make, they are definitely growing like crazy! As slow as everything has been progressing I was afraid they would take forever to veg, Monday will be 6 weeks since I first put the cuttings in the tubes. But looking at things today I'm getting the inch a day growth you see when things are going right. They are really bushing out and it's definitely getting close to time to go 12/12. This morning the air temp was 71 and the res temp was 68. The temps will climb as soon as the sun comes up, but overnight the temps are nice and exactly what I want. It'll get up into the mid-80's by noon. So when I go to flower and run from 9 pm to p am I'll have virtually no heat issues at all.

Yesterday I shut off the filler valve so I could test the nute levels after one day. They drank close to 10 gallons and the ppm went down from 850 to 750 so they are getting a bit ravenous I'd say. I refilled the res and topped off the nutes, brought them back up to 800 ppm by adding 100 ml of both the Sensi A&B.

The first time I added nutes to the upper res they weren't drinking much, today they are slurping up everything I can give them. I'm thinking I can add nutes to the upper res and they won't go bad. Lots of experimenting going on for me right now. If I had an Intellidose controller it would constantly monitor the nute level in my res and add as needed. Someday it would be great to have one of those controllers.

So, everything is going great, at this rate I'll be going to 12/12 in the next few days, probably Monday at the latest.

Time to run, the kids are waking up!

Smoochies

Hi Fry Glad you can see your grandkids. Joanne has the whole family mad at her so they don't visit any more. Damn woman!:smokin:
I don't travel any more, too much stuff I have to take with me and I have accidents at very bad moments.
Have a Great Grand Daughter that I have never seen at all. Sucks! But I do get pictures that tide me over. :cheer:

Only time to say hi guys, thanks for the notes! Hailey just got up. Bye for now.

You can borrow my son. He is very smart and fun if he doesn't dislike you. Only person he has disliked in the close past is my parents lol. They did look like fools when they were complaining to my uncle since he was a perfect gentleman when he was at there house for 6 days lol. He was all over cali for two weeks. Now off to WI where ever that is :)

The upper res is just so I don't have to add water every day, in the last day they drank close to 10 gallons! I'm trying to dial this thing in and the upper res was an idea, it may not have been the best of ideas so I'll have to see how this all plays out.

One huge res to draw the water from maybe?

One huge res to draw the water from maybe?

Part of the problem with res size is that is what determines the lowest point of the tubes, the drain is gravity fed so the res must be at the low point. My height is determined by the garage door height, thankfully my ceiling height is 9' so my garage door is 8' and The Beast is about 7'-8". So, the difference between the top of the res, the bottom of the lid minus the equipment is what defines the height of my plants. So, the ideal res would have a large footprint but squat in height. Wait, hmmm...

I was just going to say I don't know of something like that but then a gas tank came to mind. There must be plastic/composite/fiberglass low profile tanks out there.

Alien8, you just gave me an idea. Sometimes it's good to really think through an explanation, it helps you to see all the angles. We sometimes dismiss different opinions too quickly sometimes. You gotta think things through, don't just shoot from the hip.

I' m glad it is going good for you FPF.

Thanks bro, it seems like things are pretty much on cruise controll now, running pretty smooth. The heat stay under 80 all but from about 10am to noon. So it sounds like I'll be able to button things up and do the co2, take this to the next level if you will.

I'm pretty confidant things are going to be pretty cool when everything is said and done. The net pots are set at 18" on center and the plants have almost taken up all the room. I figure once I can't see between the plants it will be time to flower, one huge Sea of Green! Should be cool.

I keep telling myself to keep the expectations low, you know all the reasons why. But even a qp per, figuring on 16 good sized plants is 4 lbs, that will keep me in the game, the bank won't be knocking at my door. But at a half lb per I've found my new profession! Architecture will become the hobby. Then if I build another beast we may be talking lots of fun.

If anyone I know can do it, it's you brother! :goodluck:

So, for today's report.

Wow, what a difference a few days make, they are definitely growing like crazy! As slow as everything has been progressing I was afraid they would take forever to veg, Monday will be 6 weeks since I first put the cuttings in the tubes. But looking at things today I'm getting the inch a day growth you see when things are going right. They are really bushing out and it's definitely getting close to time to go 12/12. This morning the air temp was 71 and the res temp was 68. The temps will climb as soon as the sun comes up, but overnight the temps are nice and exactly what I want. It'll get up into the mid-80's by noon. So when I go to flower and run from 9 pm to p am I'll have virtually no heat issues at all.

Yesterday I shut off the filler valve so I could test the nute levels after one day. They drank close to 10 gallons and the ppm went down from 850 to 750 so they are getting a bit ravenous I'd say. I refilled the res and topped off the nutes, brought them back up to 800 ppm by adding 100 ml of both the Sensi A&B.

The first time I added nutes to the upper res they weren't drinking much, today they are slurping up everything I can give them. I'm thinking I can add nutes to the upper res and they won't go bad. Lots of experimenting going on for me right now. If I had an Intellidose controller it would constantly monitor the nute level in my res and add as needed. Someday it would be great to have one of those controllers.

So, everything is going great, at this rate I'll be going to 12/12 in the next few days, probably Monday at the latest.

Time to run, the kids are waking up!

When you get one of those controllers, you could go to just one 50 gal res bro. Just a thought.

EDIT: I see in a later post you already thought of a low profile one. Cool! :thumb:

Part of the problem with res size is that is what determines the lowest point of the tubes, the drain is gravity fed so the res must be at the low point. My height is determined by the garage door height, thankfully my ceiling height is 9' so my garage door is 8' and The Beast is about 7'-8". So, the difference between the top of the res, the bottom of the lid minus the equipment is what defines the height of my plants. So, the ideal res would have a large footprint but squat in height. Wait, hmmm...

I was just going to say I don't know of something like that but then a gas tank came to mind. There must be plastic/composite/fiberglass low profile tanks out there.

Alien8, you just gave me an idea. Sometimes it's good to really think through an explanation, it helps you to see all the angles. We sometimes dismiss different opinions too quickly sometimes. You gotta think things through, don't just shoot from the hip.

You usualy learn something when you tell your own story.

I love my kisses too. My lil girl can pucker up a set of lips like no ones business, melts my heart.

Anyways, The growth is banging! It's getting serious:thumb:did I hear you may be putting a net over the beast too?

Well, all is great here. Take care and have a great Fathers day weekend!

If anyone I know can do it, it's you brother! :goodluck:

Well, all the plants have lots of nice branches coming up to produce lots of nice nuggets, I'll take some cuttings of each strain for mothers in the next day or so. So far I am really liking the Whiye Russian and Durban Poison, the DP looks very serious.

Ok if I got you right you want something big but not tall. Horse water trough, doggie tub professional groomer one, and last but not least a compost container. Not sure any would work but throwing out ideas.

Oh some may not have lids but you can make that.

That was my first thought, lids. At what point do you build a custom res, plywood lined with an epdm membrane like we use on roofs or Chloraloy which is a membrane used to line showers before the tiles go on. Lots to think about for Beast 2.0

Beast 2.0 - YES! :)

Yes, Beast 2.0. This is the prototype, the proof of concept. The next step is to refine everything, i.e. I know how to take two 90's out of the vent, that is huge. Next I need to work out a simple metal frame, do I have them custom fabbed? Lots of questions, lots of ideas.

Back
Top Bottom