The Capn's Simple Hydroponics Cook Off - Goal: 1lb Indoors - Journal

thank you for the invite!
Your very welcome kingjohnc

thanks for the invite Sling very cool idea guys im subbed:)
Glad to have ya jon
Submarined.
Glad you Sub'd up shotta
I'm here! Just been uber busy and pretty inactive here the last 7 weeks. Always happens this time of year for me & my work.
Great to see ya bass long time no see, I can relate to being busy this time of the year.

Rock n roll, this will be interesting, especially since you know this strain so well sling!
High there Mc, glad to have ya and I am hoping the OG takes off and gets to be my entry, might have to run the critical+, we'll see in a week or so
Ill be watching :thumb:
Hey StealthGrow, it ought to get real interesting in a couple
Cheers for the invite to view the joint project s1ingblade :thumb:

I was rather impressed with this idea & the use of the air pot...

I must admit i've been toying around with doing a hydro grow myself mainly hempy buckets 3 gallon/12 litre perlite & vermiculite mix for my first attempt plus a little bit of LST training.

But i have dreamed up an idea of a hybrid hempy with the use of an air pot sitting inside a bucket to improve aeration to the root zone with a res with a timer for feeding twice day & a run to waste style of system, this way it should eliminate hand watering on a daily basis & minor fluctuations of PH through out the day !

I'm keen to see how the grow goes :love:
Hey Duck that sounds like a really interesting system/setup as well. Glad you made it
great thread, i like the combined journal idea.:)

:thumb:

:Namaste:
Yo ronnie6690 glad you stopped by hope we can help others learn how easily they can increase weights as well as plant health
Subscribed...very interested in seeing how this turns out. I've just started my first attempt at DWC with a two week old clone in a 5 gal bucket and water temps are already kicking my ass. So I'll be watching this one closely.
High There park view, nice to meet ya and welcome to 420magazine, my favoritehome away from home:)

thAnks for the invite S1ing!! subbed 100%, looking forward to this! great idea with the pvc ring.. got me thinking about converting to something similar. should be very very cooL :thumb:

This outta be fun to watch.

:popcorn:

Good weed s1:)

good weed s1ing and a fine garden soon to be your way is my wish for you:)

Thanks to all the subscribers and positive comments! I hope you all will enjoy the cook off in the next few months.

Here is my veg watering set up. I'll run this from now until flower. I am using General Hydroponics nutrients. 400W hetal halide on 18 hours, off 6. Here is my recipe for water:

To make my water, in a 5 gallon bucket, I start with 4 gal of RO water, then I add 15-20ml of calmag, 20ml aquashield, 20ml florablend. This should put your PPM around 200 (if you started with 0ppm water). Then, add 15ml grow, 10ml micro, and 5ml bloom. This is about 25% of the suggested dose on the chart, and should put your mix around 600ppm @.5 conversion, which is all I use up until the last couple weeks of veg. After mixing, I check the PH. Mine lands right around 5.8. After a week, there is about 2 gallons left in the bucket. That goes into my outdoor garden, and I make up another 5 gals. In the past, I have done the same exact set up, and hand watered to waste, and it works just fine too, but when the plants get large, you will need to water every day.

Botanicare 22" x 36" tray, showing the manifold I made out of pvc pipe, top hat grommets, and some 1/4" hose from hardware store:
tray5.jpg

Ecoplus 185gph pump:
pump8.jpg

Showing water flow:
waterFlow1.jpg

Timer turns on pump 15 minutes a day, one hour after lights on:
watering.jpg

Here is the complete set up in operation. Cook off plant on the left. Notice I am using plain ole nursery pots, and I slowly increase the pot size every couple weeks, as the plant becomes root bound. This creates a mass of roots. If you plant your clone straight into a large container, roots tend to grow to the sides and circle. My final flowering container will be a 6-8 gallon superoots air-pot.
Vegsetup.jpg

I know you all have seen a rooted clone before. So nothing too impressive yet with my cook-off plant, but I wanted to show you the veg set up I use. This is a cheap, simple setup anyone can do, and shows the results (plant on the right). That tray was $80 but you can also use a $15 cement mixing tray from the hardware store and have the same results. I can leave this setup for a week at a time.

This demonstrates another advantage to growing fewer, larger plants. I only need to worry about watering 2-3 plants in veg, instead of a dozen. And with the rock wool, I can water for 15 minutes a day from rooted clone, all the way up until flower. It is nearly impossible to water too much in the rockwool cubes. Simple!

I'll post another update in a couple weeks. In the meantime, check out my latest article: How veg time affects yield.

Capn

Potting up into larger pots should improve plant mass/growth :thumb:

This should in turn effect yield over all, but light source/wattage of bulb & brand name of bulb also is another factor we must consider in the end results !

Root balling does appear to have detrimental effect on plant growth which may effect yield !

But all depends on space available to grow at the end of the day, root balling could be used as a method of controlling plant height in stealth grows or in small areas :thumb:

Potting up into larger pots should improve plant mass/growth :thumb:

This should in turn effect yield over all, but light source/wattage of bulb & brand name of bulb also is another factor we must consider in the end results !

Hi Fuzzy. Good point.

>>>source/wattage of bulb
I agree. It's arguably the most important thing you can do to increase yield.

>>>brand name of bulb
I'm about to test a theory. Bulbs lose lumens after age. So what do you think is better?

A. Use a $80 bulb for a year?
B. Use a $20 bulb three months?

I have been using the $100 horti-eye bulbs, and I run them for a year and then throw them away. On this grow, (in flower) I'll be using a 600W "Apollo" brand HPS bulb you can get on ebay for $20 with free shipping. Then, I'm going to throw it away and buy another one every three months. Same cost over a year. I won't be doing a "side by side" comparison, but my thinking is: over time, I'll have more light with the cheaper bulb.

Root balling does appear to have detrimental effect on plant growth which may effect yield !

But all depends on space available to grow at the end of the day, root balling could be used as a method of controlling plant height in stealth grows or in small areas :thumb:
I got a hortilux eye 1000 watt HPS bulb on its way and will install it with my reloads first week of next month. The smaller containers I use to house them straight out of the turbo kloner seems to get them going quick, if I leave them in there too long it always seems like when there crammed for space they stretch and increase the distance between nodes or is it internodes? lol not sure, sorry

Happy Frieday s1ing:)

I have been using the $100 horti-eye bulbs, and I run them for a year and then throw them away. On this grow, (in flower) I'll be using a 600W "Apollo" brand HPS bulb you can get on ebay for $20 with free shipping. Then, I'm going to throw it away and buy another one every three months. Same cost over a year. I won't be doing a "side by side" comparison, but my thinking is: over time, I'll have more light with the cheaper bulb.

Being only 17 days into my first indoor grow, I don't have any experience to draw from but from what I've read on the subject, this makes very good sense.

>>>Being only 17 days into my first indoor grow

Welcome Parkview. First grow - Very exciting. Did you start a journal? If so I want to come check it out.

Back
Top Bottom